Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbingers of the Storm

Harbingers of the Storm

Hello fellow warseers!

Once again I'm here with a new painting log - some of you might know my other two logs for Bad Moons and Thousand Sons. Several days ago I had the oportunity to buy some really cheap Necrons on ebay and I bought them just to try out how I would paint them.

As I had read the Medusa V campaign-booklet some time ago I remembered the story in there I liked most. It wasn't a big story, just a small narrative about a Necronlord called the "Bote der Stürme", which would be harbinger/messenger of storms. In apocalypse reload there is also a datasheet for this harbinger of storms and I wondered what he and his army would look like. Having an idea for a theme and some models at hand, I tried out paint scheme. I used scarabs for a test 'cause they are part of every warriorbox, so it wouldn't matter if I'd mess them up.

I tried to achieve a very cold appearnce, so I decided against any rust-effects and for a blue-ish metal. The eyes where painted in hawk turquoise as that's also a pretty cold colour.

Satisfied with the scarabs I tried my colourscheme on a warrior. A quick search of my kitchen gave me a blue cocktailstick (?) that I used to see how the warrior would like with a blue instead of the standard green rod in his weapon. Apart from the front part of his weapon, the warrior is pretty done.

As you can see, the silver highlights are a bit harsh on this warrior, so I tried a second one and used a finer brush for the final highlights.

<

Re: Harbingers of the Storm

Trying the colourscheme on the warriors wasn't that satisfying, because their overall appearance depends strongly on the rod of their weapons - that's why I had to try it on a model that doesn't need a rod: a wraith.

I have to apologize for the harshness of the silver highlights on the photos. I have the same problem with pics of models with silver highlights in my ork log - somehow I'm not able to take pics that don't look like as if I had used a tankbrush to apply the silver on the miniatures....

I'd be interested to hear how you like the colourscheme and what you all think about using blue rods. Do the models look too plain by using only blue/blue-ish colours?
    <

Chaplain [sgt.Harris](voltarian)'s Avatar

I like them alot, i would like to try this scheme if i make a new army of them , but i may go for tau or dark eldar

anyways back to the scheme , it looks awesome and i like the idea of using blue cocktail sticks for the gauss chamber , it looks awesome! (man ive used that phrase twice)

subscribed

laters , volt
    Out of context - Let's just say we're gonna need a whole lot of gnomes...

I used to have an opened mind but my brains kept falling out.
    <

Thanks! I'd like to add that I intend to by some blue acryl rods instead of using cocktail sticks.
    <

that sounds like a good idea because they will probably be bigger then the cocktail sticks and you might get a bit more in a pack

<

Btw i rated 5 stars, just thought id say that

<

Nice work mate, they look really cool and the blue is a nice change.
    <

Excellent, another Dezmord project. The blue tints add a lot of character to the silver, good work. What sort of army composition do you plan to end up with?
    <

Thanks again! Seems like the colourscheme isn't such a bad idea

What sort of army composition do you plan to end up with?
    Good question. I bought 3 wraiths, a tombspider, 12 warriors, 3 scarabswarms and a mono for 70 euro on ebay. I think I'll just add a lord and battleforce and 1-2 destroyers to get a playable force.
    There are no concrete plans for a competitive necron-army right now, as I'm still haveing much fun painting and playing my Bad Moons. This necron army might well be only a side project.
    On the other hand, the painting of the wraith tokk only about 70 and the warior 30 minutes - so it shouldn't be too hard to get some results soon.
    <

Ealing, London, Next door to only joking! (unfortunately)

Nice work on the highlights, although they could be a bit more subtle
    Visit my shared 40K project log here : http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211864
    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
    My name is Gr'tl'wqphnbdr, and I have come to your village today to allow you the honour to be eaten by me, but you can call me Gary.
    Quote Originally Posted by forthegloryofkazadekrund View Post
    With my Night Goblin army at 2,000 i normally have a great shaman and 3 mini Shaman, Squigs, Fanatics, huge blocks of infantry with nets and Bob the Giant
    <

Just a small update with no new pics yet.

I received all the stuff I bought on ebay in the last days and have to say that some of it was a complte mess. One wraith and the tombspider were covered in about 20 layers of badly applied metallic colour. It took two baths in paint remover and a scrubbing with ametal brush to get all the stuff off the models. there were also two "fingers" missing on the spider, so I had to build some from plasticcard.

Another important note would be that I was able to place an order for blue plasticrods at my local games store. they think it might take some time for the company to deliver, but that doesn't matter right now. I still have my orks to paint and I'm also able to paint all the necron-stuff that doesn't require rods.
    <

Very, very nice, love that blue
    Quote Originally Posted by The pestilent 1 View Post
    Makes sense.
    Two armies shooting the crap out of each other in Nottingham, pretty much a Saturday night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Come now, Harry, what are the odds that someone on this forum would overreact to rumours?
    <

Glad to see you starting another project Dezmord.

I really like the blue metallic color for the Necrons. With those blue rods, they have a unique look without being too extreme.

If you were looking for more contrast, you could paint the eye a bright, contrasting color such as red or yellow. It would draw attention to them without taking away from the muted color scheme.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore
    Half?! The whole bloody Craftworld virtually worships at the feet of Khorne. It just so happens the Eldar know his true name, Khaine.
    <

Glad to see you starting another project Dezmord.
    Guess what? There might even be another project soon: after having read the IG codex I might rework some of my guard stuff - or even add some things... Time will tell...
    But it's god to ahve people here in this log that already now my other stuff - so thanks for dropping in!

If you were looking for more contrast, you could paint the eye a bright, contrasting color such as red or yellow. It would draw attention to them without taking away from the muted color scheme.
    As interesting as that would be, I won't do that. The reason is a simple one: I want to try out painting some models (or an army?) only in cold colours, so yellow or red would be a no-go.

I painted another wraith today:

It took me even less time than the first one, so I also managed to start painting the tombspider.
    <

Chapter Master Elazar The Glorified's Avatar

These are really good Dezmord. It's amazing how much of a difference that blue makes to their appearance but I feel it gives them a bit more menace as I always found the green to be almost cartoony evil. Great stuff!
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Dezmord View Post
    As interesting as that would be, I won't do that. The reason is a simple one: I want to try out painting some models (or an army?) only in cold colours, so yellow or red would be a no-go.
    I can respect that. I think the cold colors look great on the Necrons.

The new Wraith looks awesome. I see you toned down the silver highlights a little bit. I also just noticed the source lighting on the eyes. It is subtle, but combined with the blue on the shoulder pads, it really produces a nice glowing effect on the whole model.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore
    Half?! The whole bloody Craftworld virtually worships at the feet of Khorne. It just so happens the Eldar know his true name, Khaine.
    <

Nice work. I like the hard highlights, on this army. Works well with the cool colors and the general look of the army. Kind of cartoony, and vivid, and eerie. Great start.
    The Harrowed: My Demon Army's Warseer project log
    <

very nice scheme there. the black/blue contrasts well
    <

Chapter Master Inquisitor Engel's Avatar

It's nice to see something interesting done to Necrons that isn't crazy or impossible to use for inspiration. Very sweet.
    <

I don't normally click on Necron threads too often.... and I'll admit that your title had me curious and unawares that it was a Necron thread.

But WOW! Those are some of the coolest Necrons I've seen. I love the blue tint scheme. Very nice indeed! This is one Necron thread that I WILL continue to follow.
    Blood Pact Log
    NWO New Waaagh Order!
    Top Sekret Ork Bomma

"Late at night, all alone, when no one can see me, I do orky things......" - Tommygun
    <

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast