Thread: Vostroyan paint scheme from white dwarf 317-318

Brother Sergeant

Vostroyan paint scheme from white dwarf 317-318

Hello everyone I am hoping someone can help me out here, bit of an odd request. Does anybody out there have a white dwarf issue 317 or 318 I am told that is from 2005 around the time of the Fall of Medusa campaign when the Vostroyan were released. I have collected quite a horde of models and I am keen to paint them in eavy metal colours... yes I know shame on me for not being original but I love the scheme. Apparently one of those issues goes into detail about the steps used to paint vostroyans the eavy metal way
    even if it doesn't go step by step it should let me attempt to replicate it best I can. I tried looking for the issue in old hobby stores and e bay I have googled so much on the net... I am hoping a fellow warseer member could help me out thanks in advance guys. ps I know the box has basic colors they used but I am hoping the magazine article on vostroyans goes into a litlle more detail than Blood Red for the cloth Thanks again!!!!

Lurking in the dark... in the void between worlds....

Re: Vostroyan paint scheme from white dwarf 317-318

May I remind you all posting the pages from the WD in question or otherwise copying them and distributing them via this site, would be a breach of WarSeer's Forum Rules and a breach of Copyright Law.

Wintermute
    The WarSeer Inquisition
    Quote Originally Posted by philbrad
    As ever WINTERMUTE speaks the truth

Well, I've got one right here. As Wintermute says, I can't post the page. But I can tell you the formula. You'll probably want to tweek it because the Foundation and Washes have since been released. I don't blame you on wanting to paint them the 'Eavy Metal way. I think they look great that way and it's the traditional uniform color for the Firstborn. Probably would do better to move this to M,P,&T. Good luck!

Red Cloth:
    -Several thin coats of Red Gore till you have an even coat
    -Highlight with Blood Red
    -Highlight again with 50/50 Blood Red and Blazing Orange
    -Watered down glaze of Red Ink
    (what I would do)
    -Mechrite Red
    -Devlan Mud wash
    -Highlight with Blood Red
    -50/50 Blood Red and Blazing Orange
    -Highlight with Blazing Orange
    -Wash with Baal Red

Metal:
    Boltgun Metal, Badab Black Wash, Highlight w/ chainmail, then w/ mithril silver if you wish

Gold:
    Thinned Brazen Brass so you don't get it on too thick, Devlan Mud wash, highlight of Brazen Brass, Highlight of Burnished Gold, then Highlight with Mithril Silver

Leather:
    Bestial Brown, Badab Black wash, Highlight with Bestial Brown, 50/50 Bestial Brown and Bleached Bone, then straight Bleached Bone Highlight. Gloss Varnish to get shinny boots?

Hat:
    Basecoat with Scorched Brown and Graveyard Earth mix, drybrush Graveyard Earth, 50/50 mix of Graveyard and Bleached Bone, Highlight w/ Bleached Bone.

Rifle Wood (because they are handcrafted beauties):
    Base of Scorched Brown, Highlight with Graveyard Earth, 75/25 Graveyard Earth and Bleached Bone Highlight.
    "I am not yet ready for Hell."

*All previous projects are on hold as I make ready to unleash the Emperors Wolves upon the local fields of battle. For the Allfather!

I've just spotted a minor problem with paint scheme, it uses a colour which has been discontinued: Brazen Brass

Brazen brass... o how I miss you.

That latest cut of colours was a painful one.
    Bucket of joy
    The Redemptionists, a long term IG army building log
    Quote Originally Posted by Orkeosaurus View Post
    Orks are both Mean and Green, which gives them an inherent advantage over armies which are only Mean or Green, or are neither.

You could substitute Brass Balls from the Privateer Press P3 range of paints in place of Brazen Brass.

Chapter Master

Or Vallejo Game Colours Brassy Brass

Really? Gosh. I have about three pots of it so I guess I'm safe. I guess you could always mix some scorched brown in any other dark metallic color to get a similar finish. Oh GW, discontiuning paints that they don't have replacements for. I can't remember if it was Hawke Turgouise or Scally Green that they got rid of, but I really like those colors and use them a lot for washes. I know you can make similar colors, but the ease of having one already made...tsk tsk. Brass Balls is a good color by P3, though. I find their paints very thick straight from the pot. Always. It's not a problem watering them down before use but I think it ruins them faster.

Anyway, Vostroyans. Yeah. Word.
    "I am not yet ready for Hell."

*All previous projects are on hold as I make ready to unleash the Emperors Wolves upon the local fields of battle. For the Allfather!

It was Scaly Green which was also dropped.

Regarding P3 paint, yes its easy to thin with water and no I don't think the paint ruins any quicker than GW paint. But if you are concerned about thinning P3 try their using their Mixing Medium in place of water

Thanks guys ive been after a paint guide for them, for ages now.