Thread: New Guard Codex: Elysian Drop Troop Army?

New Guard Codex: Elysian Drop Troop Army?

Hello everyone. I was browsing Forgeworld and fell in love with the Elysian models, but I was wondering. With the new Codex, are they a viable army? Can every squad be either in a Valk or deep strike in? Or will I have to have some "ground pounders" as well?

Im spoiled by the Marine Codex where I can drop pod in everything, which is definetly my style, and would like to do the same for guard. Any ideas?

Re: New Guard Codex: Elysian Drop Troop Army?

you can take 9 Valkyries max with the new codex, so if you run anything more than a veterans based list, you will have to take some ground pounders.

If i were you i would wait until Fw update their IA lists or wait until Planet Strike is released,where all of your army can Deep Strike
    Elysians Blog (now with added Deathwatch): http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...25#post5042725

New Review site, we cover GW/BL/All forms of geekery: http://www.fiftyshadesofgeek.org/, also on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/50shadesofgeek and twitter @shadesofgeek

You could max out on Vet Squads in Valks or Vendettas (9 of them) and do it.

No drop sentinels though, but meh.

Can stormtroopers take valks? Im stuck at an army base for another 3 weeks, so no luck at picking up a codex.

Quote Originally Posted by Vutall View Post
    Can stormtroopers take valks? Im stuck at an army base for another 3 weeks, so no luck at picking up a codex.
    Yeap,in addition there are special rules about them and the Valks.
    Hope for the best,prepare for the worst

i was wondering if it was posible to make a Elysian list from the new dex. think i mite wait and see if FW update the list. hope so as iv got a load of flyers but no idea if i can use them in the new dex. 4 Valkyries 3 vultures and a lightning!

I have a feeling that the Elysian FW re-write will replace the Chimera option with a Valkyire, and leave the Vulture and Lightning as Heavy Support choices
    Elysians Blog (now with added Deathwatch): http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...25#post5042725

New Review site, we cover GW/BL/All forms of geekery: http://www.fiftyshadesofgeek.org/, also on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/50shadesofgeek and twitter @shadesofgeek

That would be awesome.

What if you used the drop troops and another regiment and say that the drop troops were dropping in to support them.

If that doesn't fit there fluff I'm sorry don't know much about drop troops.
    \m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

I think it does actually. It been a while since I read the Imp. Armor they were in, but didnt they team up with a heavy armored force? That could be my ground pounders right there.

You can take a drop troop army, if the command squad can have a valk/vendetta transport. The drop sentinels would have to be already deploed instead of flying around in a valk. I would say that the sentinels were supposed to give supressive fire until the drop troops were deployed.

Brother Sergeant Pappylongthumbs's Avatar

There are already a ton of good ideas bouncing around in here, so i don't know if this will help, but try applying the IA 3 criteria to the 5th edition guard codex. (i.e. squad based demo charges, lasgun krak grenade launchers, valks as transports etc.) You could have vultures as skimmers, and armoured sentinels w/ hvy bolters and M. meltas.

im still wating for would wait for a FW update.

Hope that helps some.

Or you could wait till IA 8 comes out...
    Orks vs Elysians... no joke do a search or look at some of the recent and up comming FW releases....

Chapter Master Marshal Augustine's Avatar

Use the regular codex? Sure!... of course no things like underslung GL... but OH well. Take 9 valks... vet squads (as drop troopers are hard as nails) and is for the sentinels... outflank with them. They just drop a little ways away. Vendettas provide fire support... the new codexes IMO really give a lot of options to us gamers in the sense of making thematic lists.

Cheers!

there isnt any thing stoppin u really. you could buy a elysian troop squad and use that as basic infantry, would make a major dent in your wallet but what deosnt now a days?

sorry if this didnt help what so ever lol