Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Fisto - Apologist, Bob Hunk, GrahamGilchrist & Omricon do Imperial Fists!

Chapter Master

Re: Team Fisto - Apologist, Bob Hunk, GrahamGilchrist & Omricon do Imperial Fists!

someone has been busy!

they are looking very good G. huge, scary and nicely posed.
    can't see why you are unhappy with the flamer dude.

is the sergeant scratching his chin or is he the one you mentioned who is pulling a grenade pin with his teeth?
    proud member of the PCRC : Frigia , Shale , Scallops, Hordes/Warmachine
    my Projects
    Daemons
    Tyranids
    Circus Extraordinaire
    NB/ this is blank text, all emotions are invented and attached by the reader.
    it's not offensive, unless you decide you want to take offence! why would you?

Re: Team Fisto - Apologist, Bob Hunk, GrahamGilchrist & Omricon do Imperial Fists!

My only beef so far is that the unmodified power armour arms make the marines look like they are wearing the Wrong Trousers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaktathi View Post
    Brothers of the Snake for instance was just an atrocious SM wankfest
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor View Post
    Hell, according to the fluff, you're more likely to find Superman flying around than a female Space Marine, because whereas the fluff states that geneseed only works in males, it doesn't state that there aren't Kryptonians in the galaxy.
    No, his model does not look better then the Forge World version. Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by terribletrygon View Post
    My only beef so far is that the unmodified power armour arms make the marines look like they are wearing the Wrong Trousers.
    Well, I tried the standard method using terminator arms and personally didn't like the look. I was going for a kind of art-inspired look, and pretty much all of the space marine art has them with giant chests and shoulderpads and teeny arms!

However, IRL I think the models look pretty normal. In fact, since trimming off most of the extra bulk from the terminator legs, they look pretty much just like enlarged space marines, without any of the extra bulk involved in other true-scale methods. Also bear in mind that those are WIPs and some don't have the new belts sculpted on yet, with can make the legs appear longer than they actually are.
    I think what you are seeing is more a result of the terrible photography, which I shall be remedying soon (and may perhaps move these guys to their own log?).

Chapter Master

I think they are awesome.

and lets face it, you can wear more armour on your legs than your arms whilst retaining the full range of normal movement. with your legs being the second biggest target after your chest I'd say it makes sense.
    just have a look at your own arms on comparison with your legs (even if you are a mighty ham-beast) your thighs will be at least 3 times the girth of your upper arms.
    and your waist is not in the middle it is 3/5 of the way up.
    the main problem with normal space marine models is that they have inexplicably short skinny legs so inside the power armour there is only enough space for a thin tau air caste pilot who has been cut off at the knees.
    my Projects
    Daemons
    Tyranids
    Circus Extraordinaire

What we learn from Terrible is that however you build your models, someone's not going to like them. However, I think that G's method is probably the best to emulate the cool Karl Kopinski artwork:

40k is a big shared universe, and I think that the most important thing is to make your models how you want to make them. If other people like them, brill, but they can't be the reason for your hobby, or it's just a job!

That said, we all appreciate constructive criticism.

+++

While my part in Team Fisto is over (eliminated in orbit!), I thought I'd put some pictures up of the ones I did finish:

Urban combat rages during the initial landfalls at the Black Planet.

Imperial Fist Veterans storm the defences of Nu Minor.

Imperial Fist veterans finally extinguish the embers of resistance to ensure the hard-fought Compliance of Hutini.
    Imperium Secundus
    Rebuilding painting blogs

Industrious, bionically-enhanced member of the Plastic Crack Rehab Clinic

Chapter Master

have these chaps all defected to the ultramarines now?
    my Projects
    Daemons
    Tyranids
    Circus Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blood the Hungry View Post
    have these chaps all defected to the ultramarines now?
    Nope, White Consuls (when I get a spare minute!)
    Imperium Secundus

Quote Originally Posted by Apologist View Post
    I think that G's method is probably the best to emulate the cool Karl Kopinski artwork:
    Apologist has hit the nail on the head here. This image is what inspired me to do this in the first place and shares a lot in common with the other art.

Cheers for posting Apologist - I would have done so earlier if I could have found one!

I have been very busy and lots of updates upcoming so stay tuned...

Here it comes; this is Ancient brother Acipitas.
    He is pictured here armed with regular weapons but will soon be equipped for seige duties (since this is a cityfight army) as seige dreadnought (see IA8) wielding a flamestorm cannon (mmm, AP3 goodness) and a combat drill

He is a FW Mk IV dreadought, with some re-posed legs and feet. Base is made from cork, plsaticard and sand.

There'll be another dreadnought coming soon (just got the new plastic venerable kit, which is awesome!)

The dread looks fierce!
    The Harrowed: My Demon Army's Warseer project log

Looking great! I love the pose of the Dreadnought.

Apologist, its wonderful to see you at it again!
    I like them as much as i loved your Ultramarines, and they look fantastic my friend. I especially love the heavy weathered look to yellow, i dont like 'clean' figures they look like they havent done...well any fighting

I hope to see you continue my friend!
    Tyruin out.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorNorton View Post
    Are you saying that GW are covering up aliens in New Mexico?

Just read through the thread and couldn't see an answer to this, but sorry if it's already been covered - where did you guys get hold of so many helmets for the mark 4 suits? I can't imagine you've bought that many BT/DA upgrade sprues!

Excellent work by the way guys. Very inspiring stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Splagbot
    I personally don't like Tau because of the way they look, every thing looks like it's been designed by a child in some sort of Blue Peter competition.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamGilchrist
    Acipitas looks great! I love the repose – it gives him a very staunch appearance. Must be a chore to have to chug down all the wine for your bases, eh?

+++

Quote Originally Posted by Promethius
    Just read through the thread and couldn't see an answer to this, but sorry if it's already been covered - where did you guys get hold of so many helmets for the mark 4 suits?
    Forgeworld do a set of Mark IV marines, under their Red Scorpions section.

+++
    Ultramarines
    I'm adding and updating to my Praetors of Calth force for this campaign weekend. While Team Fisto will mainly be defending the palace, the brave Ultramarines will be breaking eldar and Thousand Son heads on the other side of the galaxy – not just writing books!

This chap is one of three that'll replace the heavy weapons in my tactical squads. I like the idea of a storm of bolter shells, and having heavy weapons just meant that I tended to pillbox a combat squad, which didn't really fit my mental image.
    WIP

The heavy weapons will go into a dedicated Devastator squad, along with this chap:
    WIP

I then built some Sternguard, resplendent in Mark IV suits, and carrying combi-plasmas:
    WIP

I've reposed these by the simple expedient of trimming the left legs off at the hip and swapping them about (be careful to fill in the kneepads!).

...and then got carried away and built a new Sergeant
    WIP
    He'll be leading the Sternguard.
    Last edited by Apologist; 31-03-2010 at 11:28.
    Imperium Secundus

Thnaks for the comments guys

Quote Originally Posted by Apologist View Post
    Acipitas looks great! I love the repose it gives him a very staunch appearance. Must be a chore to have to chug down all the wine for your bases, eh?
    Haha yes such a chore
    Seriosuly though, most of it is made from broken up cork floor tiles which I picked up in the bargain bin at B&Q for 99p! I find they are better for base building, but the normal wine bottle corks are great for fallen pillars etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Apologist
    Forgeworld do a set of Mark IV marines, under their Red Scorpions section.
    Indeed, one set of these gives you 10 helmets and torsos which is what I usedfor squad Terrax.

Moar updates from last night:

First, a quick obligatory workspace pic:

In which you may be able to spot something new in the background...

The venerable dreadnought: Ancient Galathon

I have the say the new venerable dreadnought kit is great to build, with a wealth of different options. I particularly like the 2 spare MK3 heads which will soon be utilised by this army maybe in some terminators...

Assault cannon is to be replaced with a multimelta as soon as I can get hold of one. He is posed to be ripping pieces out of a wall with which to fling at his hated traitor enemies.
    Last edited by GrahamGilchrist; 31-03-2010 at 16:05.

Boo hoo. 400 views and no replies. I'm feeling all lonely!

Anyway, more updates. I have been working on some sternguard, the thinking being that I want to try a few older armour variants left over from the great crusade, and these would probably be still being worn by the same veterans who were issued them in the first place. I am planning for this campaign to have a 5 man sternguard squad with 3 combi-flamers (since it will be cityfight based) in mk2/mk3 armour. These will be led by a special campaign character (Drill Sergeant Castor) who is represented by a true-scaled version of the Black Reach captain.
    Hopefully later on I will expand this squad with more members and a proper sergeant.

Anyway, on to pics!

Here you can see the sternguard squad in progress. The MK2 legs have banding around them and extra cabling supplied via guitar wire. The MK3 legs are similar but are built using the space wolf terminator legs with the rims around the greaves. These seemed to best match the images in the space marine codex for MK3 legs. Mk2 torso is converted from on of the plain marine torsos with the detail cut off and extra waist plates added with greenstuff. The Mk3 guy is made from an Iron Warriors head and torso.

You can also see the black reach captain in the background.

Will try to get some more detailed photos of the individual models up later.

It's all looking very good indeed, do you have your army list all set for the event?

I'd like to see some closeups of those Sternguard, they are looking really nice!

Cheers.

Chapter Master

G I found some heads that might go with your sternguard. should be winging their way to you via Apologist.

dude you are the master of awesome robots, those dreads are fantastic!

(you know who you need to make to lead your army now......Do it.....do it!)

found a landspeeder if that multimelta would do the job, (snip swap?)

also have a metal combi melta on an old captain model if you guys need it.
    my Projects
    Daemons
    Tyranids
    Circus Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by shaw3029 View Post
    It's all looking very good indeed, do you have your army list all set for the event?
    Well I do have an approximate one, but it depends a lot on what gets painted in time! I am trying the get the core of infantry done asap, since vehicles can be done a lot quicker if necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by shaw3029 View Post
    I'd like to see some closeups of those Sternguard, they are looking really nice!
    Funny you should mention that, I've just done some close-ups:

Sternguard 1 in MK2 armour:

Hmmm, in the close-ups like that, the GS doesn't look very smooth, but in real life it is fine!

Sternguard 2 in MK3 armour:

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast