Thread: How to use MIG / Vallejo pigments right?

Veteran Sergeant

How to use MIG / Vallejo pigments right?

Hi there,

I saw some results of using those pigments for weathering/ aging etc. and was quite impressed. I've tried them in a "dry run" just using them directly on the miniature with no medium. The results were nice and I was happy. Story ends.

No not really . I've got a problem with fixing the pigments on the miniature. If I mix it with matt varnish, it looks like a really bad wash. If I basecoat parts of the miniature with varnish and try to dust the pigments onto it, it doesn't look right to. Using a brush didn't help either.

There are some nice tutorials out there, but NO tutorial answered my problem of fixing the stuff. which leaves me with the impression, that I'm so stupid and I overlooked something obvious.

In other words: HELP!!111oneoneeleven.

Thanks a lot

Re: How to use MIG / Vallejo pigments right?

MIG produces a pigment fixer for this very purpose. You can also fix and blend pigments with turpentine.

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Mytola View Post
    MIG produces a pigment fixer for this very purpose. You can also fix and blend pigments with turpentine.
    do I mix them with the fixer or do I dust it on a surface primed with the fixer?

Vallejo just tells me to use their matt vanish as fixing medium.

You apply the pigments first, and then the fixer. Using varnish as a fixer won't work very well, so I'd recommend that you get a bottle of the MIG fixer instead.

I use Mig pigments also, and fix them using thinners (I use Mig thinners for washes). Once I have brushed the pigment on dry, I load a brush up with thinners and flood the target area. Once the thinners has evapourated the pigment should be fixed in place.

the fixer doesn't change the dust into mud i assume? Also-does it interfere in any way with the varnish? i assume i put it on before varnishing...
    "I'm Mr. Bad Example, intruder in the dirt
    I like to have a good time, and I don't care who gets hurt
    I'm Mr. Bad Example, take a look at me
    I'll live to be a hundred and go down in infamy"

Veteran Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Pokpoko View Post
    the fixer doesn't change the dust into mud i assume? Also-does it interfere in any way with the varnish? i assume i put it on before varnishing...
    Thats the problem with the matt varnish. It turns the dusty area into an oily one. I want to try the MIG fixer, but I can't get it here anywhere. I would love a substitute, but didn't find any.

The vallejo pigments are great, but without a prober fixer it's somehow stupid.

edit: to answer my own question: white spirit seems to be a substitute for the mig fixer. I've read through various historical modelling forums and they all seem to use white spirit for acrylic paints.
    Last edited by ChaosPhoenix; 04-06-2009 at 07:16. Reason: new info

I tend to use white spirit (from B&Q) does the job fine, never had a issue with it yet

The Formless Wastes... uh i mean the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Pokpoko View Post
    The fixer forms a hard shell over the pigments, but won't really interfere with them. (although there is a slight colour difference between fixed pigments and washed ones)
    I can recommend the video tutorial DVD that MIG produces, it's only $10 and really good quality, with clear instructions on the uses of the pigments.
    I have it myself, and while I haven't played around with my Pigments yet, the instructions coupled with the video seem clear enough.

As for the varnishing, I think applying the varnish before the pigments is the best idea, since the fixer essentially is a heavy duty varnish as well.
    (it has more similarities with an Oil paint varnish than the normal stuff used for minis)

Also, the pigments should adhere better on a matt-varnished surface.

Just remember, fixing the pigment with thinner leaves them somewhat removable, once you fix it with the fixer they're not going anywhere. It's a very permanent seal.
    ~War Beckons, and I Answer~

Try these guys
    Fils model supplies
    http://www.filsmodels.com/detail.asp?type=MIGPIG&ID=551
    best
    Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarnaxe View Post
    Kharn is supposed to be the epitome of the World Eater Berserker, savage and vicious, but look at him, he looks like he's waving to a couple of his mates across the battlefield, shouting "Coo-ee".

Azhrarn-awsome,thanks for the tips!
    "I'm Mr. Bad Example, intruder in the dirt
    I like to have a good time, and I don't care who gets hurt
    I'm Mr. Bad Example, take a look at me
    I'll live to be a hundred and go down in infamy"