Page 1227 of 1227 FirstFirst ... 227 727 1127 1177 1217 1225 1226 1227
Results 24,521 to 24,531 of 24531

Thread: Games Workshop Pricing Feedback Thread

Banned

Re: Games Workshop Pricing Feedback Thread

as someone returning with little disposable income I must say GW has (in my eyes) really pulled their act together.
    I've been an avid wargamer for 22yrs but havent played or brought anything 40k related for 5-6yrs maybe longer.
    now I look at these 50 (or 40 in some independents) and 36 (30) squad+transport boxes and I honestly WANT to buy stuff and get back into collecting and painting (maybe not so much playing as the 40k rules need a severe overhaul to be even remotely good).
    I'd of not bothered. but now once I've settled myself and my mental health and got a proper place to live I can see myself buying allot more stuff and actually smiling when leaving a store instead of gritting my teeth in frustration.
    I'm by no means a "fanboy" but. Good Job GW!
    Last edited by jamesvalentine; 06-03-2017 at 11:06.

Holy jesus ****! Look at the prices on this week's preorder!! Way to ruin plastic Heresy stuff, GW!

MY 2 CENTS. For everyone complaining about price mark ups on GW minis. First off I play WHFB, not a fan of the direction they have taken, but I will defend the price markups. INFLATION alone shows why its reasonable. There are other reasons but this is legit. GW minis are still about the same per box as they always were. During 5th edition in 1998 the US Dollar was the equivalent to about $1.50 today. So if a boxed unit was $30 in 1998 today it would be $45, keeping with inflation. Yes there are less models per box now but the amount needed to play has shrunk. It still costs the same amount of money to field an army, and the sculpts are better quality. I Believe I bought Dragon Prince Imrik from a GW store in the late 90's for $60-65, after inflation that would hit around $90 today. That is how much they are selling heroes for now.BTW I do not play AoS. I play 6thEd, luckily i have a ton of models and don't need to buy 3X kits to make one unit. If GW kept the rules as per 6th edition then it would suck.....$$$$$$$. But with AoS you don't need a block of 16-30 models to play. As I said earlier, it is about the same cost to play AoS as it was to start in earlier editions.
    Last edited by Ewigleben; 10-05-2017 at 17:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewigleben View Post
    MY 2 CENTS. For everyone complaining about price mark ups on GW minis. First off I play WHFB, not a fan of the direction they have taken, but I will defend the price markups. INFLATION alone shows why its reasonable. There are other reasons but this is legit. GW minis are still about the same per box as they always were. During 5th edition in 1998 the US Dollar was the equivalent to about $1.50 today. So if a boxed unit was $30 in 1998 today it would be $45, keeping with inflation. Yes there are less models per box now but the amount needed to play has shrunk. It still costs the same amount of money to field an army, and the sculpts are better quality. I Believe I bought Dragon Prince Imrik from a GW store in the late 90's for $60-65, after inflation that would hit around $90 today. That is how much they are selling heroes for now.BTW I do not play AoS. I play 6thEd, luckily i have a ton of models and don't need to buy 3X kits to make one unit. If GW kept the rules as per 6th edition then it would suck.....$$$$$$$. But with AoS you don't need a block of 16-30 models to play. As I said earlier, it is about the same cost to play AoS as it was to start in earlier editions.
    Dragon Prince Imrik was mounted on a dragon. A comparable, recently released character model could run you up as high as 165 USD. A little higher than the 90 USD that you would consider reasonable...

Chapter Master

I think a lot of the characters have shot up price wise, due to materials vs unit sales. Other things seem broadly comparable.

ragon Prince Imrik was mounted on a dragon. A comparable, recently released character model could run you up as high as 165 USD.
    Imrik is tiny compared to Archaon, though.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

Quote Originally Posted by DYoung View Post
    recently released character model could run you up as high as 165 USD. A little higher than the 90 USD that you would consider reasonable...
    For sure, I mean they have always had forge world models. And they still had models up towards that back then. Right now the mounted mage dragon is $65 so actually cheaper than my Imirk accounting for inflation. I don't agree with paying the same for half the models... which is essentially what has happened. But it can be justified by GW because people buy less to get a functioning army. So yeah, If I want a unit of 20 swordmasters I... am.... f'ed.... cause that's now 4 boxes at $45 a piece! but the new rules are set up so that I only need 5, which would be the $45 which is about what I would have had to pay for 8-10 back in the day. But I needed at least 8-10. The customer is till getting a usable "unit" for the same cost. so the initial investment to get into the game is roughly the same. However I don't play Age of Sigmar, so I am screwed if I want another 20 block of sword masters to play 6th.........

Quote Originally Posted by Ewigleben View Post
    For sure, I mean they have always had forge world models. And they still had models up towards that back then. Right now the mounted mage dragon is $65 so actually cheaper than my Imirk accounting for inflation. I don't agree with paying the same for half the models... which is essentially what has happened. But it can be justified by GW because people buy less to get a functioning army. So yeah, If I want a unit of 20 swordmasters I... am.... f'ed.... cause that's now 4 boxes at $45 a piece! but the new rules are set up so that I only need 5, which would be the $45 which is about what I would have had to pay for 8-10 back in the day. But I needed at least 8-10. The customer is till getting a usable "unit" for the same cost. so the initial investment to get into the game is roughly the same. However I don't play Age of Sigmar, so I am screwed if I want another 20 block of sword masters to play 6th.........
    One could argue that a $300 box containing 5 infantry models would still be a rip even if that was all you needed for a whole army.

Ouch. 'old' GW returns with the prices for the two new primaris space marine character models. 22.50 each for a generic plastic space marine mono pose character. But you do get a choice of heads....!

Apparently GW latest financials are very good. Just shows what happens when they start making good decisions, i.e. releasing models that people want and not charging silly prices for them.

I would say the prices are worse than ever, one look at the 50$ codex will tell you that. They do however have a playable rules set now. WH is such a hot IP that the only way you can get people to drop it is by charging outrageous prices and having an unplayable rules set and GW managed to somehow do both of those. They will probably just keep jacking up the prices now after the goodwill they received until the game once again becomes unplayable knowing them.

Page 1227 of 1227 FirstFirst ... 227 727 1127 1177 1217 1225 1226 1227