Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: doc_cthulhu's painting log

doc_cthulhu's painting log

After serious lurking in this site I finally decided to contribute something of my own also. I recently started painting a Vampire Counts "army" for our warbands games. I'm in no hurry and as my real life sometimes tends to get in the way I can only hope that this log keeps me painting.

I'm kind of a lazy painter. I tend not to finalize my minis but then again I only battle with a couple of friends and just like to keep my armies painted.

Without further bs here's some pics of currently "finished" undeads.

A shot of my zombies:

A close-up

Beginning of a skeleton regiment:

Ghost host:

And the current general of my army - necromancer converted from Lord of Nurgle:

As a huge fan of HoMM gameline I decided to theme the army according the newest version of the game. My lord will be Markal the Necromancer and most characters will be from the game also. The standard the skeleton is bearing carries the heraldry of Bull County (as pictured in the HoMM art book).

Re: doc_cthulhu's painting log

Orc zombie FTW! Planning on zombifying any other races?

That standard does look great. I also like the orc zombie very much.
    Nice work.

I concur about the standard! Your painting style works well for the Undead.

Thanks! I already have one undead skaven but its such poor work that I'll have to build another one. Other than that I'm not sure. Other races don't have the same characteristic appearance (well lizardmen maybe but I'm theming my army to SoC as our WFRPG campaign takes place during the storm near Middenheim).

As for the orc I here's a close-up. Which naturally takes the edge away from it. ^_^

edit: I do actually have an army of beastmen... There could be some potential of zombifying them as the whole point of the army was to only use modified minis.

Ealing, London, Next door to only joking! (unfortunately)

I love that undead orc!
    Visit my shared 40K project log here : http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211864
    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
    My name is Gr'tl'wqphnbdr, and I have come to your village today to allow you the honour to be eaten by me, but you can call me Gary.
    Quote Originally Posted by forthegloryofkazadekrund View Post
    With my Night Goblin army at 2,000 i normally have a great shaman and 3 mini Shaman, Squigs, Fanatics, huge blocks of infantry with nets and Bob the Giant

very cool stuff
    Without judgement
    Perception would increase a million times
    -Chuck

. Space Wolves Plog .

.;

As I'm in no time to finish any painting (basicly because my "mini-time" goes into putting these chaps together) here are some WIP pictures. I'm trying to reach a theme that can be described as "freshly deads of Storm of Chaos" as well as keep the HoMM5 in mind.

As the army is going to be necromancer driven decided not to include any blood dragons as vampires but build a regiment of undead White Wolfs instead:

Here's some core choices for my army. WIP skeletons and ghouls. The fat one in the middle of ghouls will be ghast. He's build from beastman body and fattened with greenstuff. Some of the ghouls will have just began to descend into full ghoulhood (like the two in this pic) and they will be made with zombie and Empire part.

As freshly dead go these will either be skeletons with hand weapon or my graveguard. Haven't decided yet.

And as it seems to be mandatory here's my workspace picture:

(Notice the motivational poster)

Really good job, I like both the converting and the painting.

Keep on the good work!!!

I really like the poster, so many memories :_)
    Check my Fantasy Project Log LINK
    Check my Chaos Vampire Counts project: LINK (Closed Thread in Hall of Heroes)

After believing to have lost my camera in some drunken moment I was positively suprised when I actually found it where it should have been. I just didn't think to check my slingback...

Any - finding the camera gave the chance to take a few new pics of the increasing undead horde. As real life tends to get into the way of painting I've not managed to do much. As I'm also painting skavens as part of "The Tale of the Fantasy Painter" I can only hope that I manage to secure some time for these guys.

But without further mumblejamble, here're the pics:

My ghouls will follow this color scheme. You can believe it's quite weird to start painting with pink and purple. But I still think that it all worked out quite nice. Some of these guys have just began to embrace the ghouldom and still look a bit like humans - namely the two guys flanking my crypt ghast (the fat guy in the middle).

These grave guards took an insane amount of time (by my standards) and I'm still not sure about them. But I just can't stand to pick them up again.

The Beginning of my spear wielding skeletons. Even though I had thought them as easy-to-paint minis they actually were not.

The bases of the skeletons include a butchered Middenheim soldier as I'm planing to add something extra to each and every mini in this army.

Ealing, London, Next door to only joking! (unfortunately)

Really nice style, I love your conversions and painting!
    Visit my shared 40K project log here : http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211864
    Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
    My name is Gr'tl'wqphnbdr, and I have come to your village today to allow you the honour to be eaten by me, but you can call me Gary.
    Quote Originally Posted by forthegloryofkazadekrund View Post
    With my Night Goblin army at 2,000 i normally have a great shaman and 3 mini Shaman, Squigs, Fanatics, huge blocks of infantry with nets and Bob the Giant

As I'm currently busy with the Tale of Fantasy Painter there hasn't been much time to paint anything else. However now that Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (3rd edition) has been published our group decided to go for high adventures in the Old World. We're starting the campaign next monday and it has fell on me to build and paint the characters of the group.

Here the first one. A mercenary from Norsca in search of power and booty!

Two more guys for the rpg. Bright Wizard and a Barber-Surgeon. This lack the final touches (some highlighting and glow effect from the wizard's staff) as well as probably new bases. But are still quite nice.

Another break from TotFP - those skaven keep coming into my dreams already...

This time it's a start for a Reikland mercenary band for Mordheim (Coreheim rules). The pictures are quite dull as the battery from both of my cameras was dead when taking these and I had to take them with my cellphone. Aaaanyhow I really like how they all turned out and will certainly post the marksmen and young bloods as I have them painted and ready to go.

Henchmen warriors with spear and shield

Heroes and a hired sword

As always C&C is welcomed (and a little expected)!

the tatoos on the mercenary are very impressive!!
    rly like the henchmen as well . good job

So I decided to try my wings at sculpting and went the easy way and choose to model a spawn of Slaanesh for my Path to Glory warband. I've never done something like this before so all ideas and tips are really welcomed.

I started with the basic shape made from folio and some wire. As I'm not big on planing things ahead I just went with it. I've had an extremely busy, hot and annoying day and I'm more surprised than anybody that I managed to get anything done at all!

So the basic form for the spawn-to-be:

As I mixed the milliput I couldn't believe how I always seem to forget to keep water at hand. Working with milliput (and greenstuff for that matter) is so much easier when it's wet. I didn't worry too much about this phase of the project as I knew I would cover all of the brown with green.

At this point I decided to give it proper time to dry. And after 30min I had used my google-fu and whipped up this "oven". And it really worked! Usually milliput (especially when it's wet) dries up too slowly for my nerves but this thing reduced the time from a day to hours! Of course I'm not too sure it's really dried up at the core but I don't care. At least at this point as it's my first try anyway.

Having already seen the "oven" in work I decided to try a couple of small addings with greenstuff. I don't have any fancy stuff for the modelling part (for filing for example) so I didn't want any fingerprints on the green stuff. It's much more easier to let it dry in the oven and move to next phase. At first I didn't want to include any plastic parts but decided against it as I saw that they would bring the model in much sharper shape. Giving it some focus points that could cover my crappy modelling skills. ^_^

These two examples are only links as I'm not sure how the forum deals with nudity. Even when it's made in such a bad way. These are most likely X-rated:

Spawn pic 1

Spawn pic 2

Also. I painted this for Coreheim a few days ago:

Some chaos warriors for... nothing really:

Last edited by doc_cthulhu; 20-07-2010 at 19:04.

Huh that is a great little oven idea you rigged up there. Sure beats sitting around for a day watching it dry.

I think so too! I was quite surprised it actually worked! It couldn't be a lot easier.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast