Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: doc_cthulhu's painting log

Re: doc_cthulhu's painting log

Some really cool looking minis here, some really inventive ideas good work!

I've seriously neglected this log! I haven't had quite as much time for minis as I would like but there's some progress though! I'm currently participating in Tale of the Fantasy Painter. As a lazy boy for 1000points of Empire. Other than that our gaming group in currently playing Path to Glory with 7th and 8 th edition rules mixed together.

Next minis I'll be painting for PtG are four marauders with great weapons. As I've given away most of my marauders via bitz exchange I had to be creative and I came up with these four guys:

As for the TotFP here's a sneak peak for next month's entry:

very awsome log! nice painting and converting also. like the marauder adventures, cool tatoos!

just the only point of advice could be, that you should try to blend te colours together for a more natural effect.

furthermore its just great.

Yeah I know about blending but I'm just too damn lazy to try to actually do it...

I like this log, lets see some more updates.
    Without judgement
    Perception would increase a million times
    -Chuck

. Space Wolves Plog .

.;

Littleborough, Lancashire. Hub of the Universe

Really like your painterly painting style. Nice to see somebody doing stuff specific for WFRP too

WIP for the knights that I'm making for the Tale. Nothing really special here. Mainly because I was in a hurry and just went through some mini boxes and found these already glued. As for more updates... I can't promise anything more than some older pics that haven't found their way to here yet.

I'm not sure if these are quite ready. I'll most likely add shields but it looks like something still needs to be done. The banner is carried by a knight of Reiksguard who accuired membership of Knight Panthers during Storm of Chaos (according to my army fluff). I would still like to use him as a part of (still to come) regular Reiksguard unit so painting a Knight Panthers symbol on it seems a bit unnecessary.

Any other ideas of what could/should be done?

Also - I noticed that I'll be needing to build an unit filler for my halberdier regiment. Suggestions about what I should add? I'm not doing an ogre as I've done so too many times. But other ideas are more than welcome!

Marine

Awesome stuff mate, i'm converting a bunch of Vc's in a similar style (heaps of mixed minis) and i really love your work (paintwise and conversion wise).

Keep it up!

I can't believe I am just one page two. I've seen so much!

Very good work, keep it up!

"one page two" probably means "on page too" right?

Aaaaanyway. Here's a little update for this month TofFP entry. Six new guys for halberd unit. There isn't anything special here. Appart from them being the last pre-owned minis I'm going to buy. It took an insane amount of pine soap and washing to strip the paint from them and I still had to replace their heads to get better detail. Also one guy was missing a foot so I replaced it with a piece of match.

As this month is going to be a core month I've already assembled the next three halberd troops. They're what you could call "I want to be with my own unit"-troops. Assembled from different bodies or armed with weapons of a different unit in addition to their own. Nothing really special here either but just a little story behind a mini. My favorite one is the one on the right. He's from handgun unit and wouldn't shut up about it so his current unit pals have bind his mouth with rope.

There're also two handgunners at the back. From which one is made from pike&shotte model which I'm going to use a lot more.

Love the idea of adding guys who look like they're from different units to a big block. Looks like their unit got destroyed so they joined another, or maybe they just got lost and ended up in the wrong place.

Gonna have to pinch this idea for my own blocks of infantry.

Nice squad. The guy on the right oozes character. I'm thinking "Bridgeburners" & "Bonehunters"

As I've been having an infernal week (in every possible way) I haven't had the time to paint as much as I would have liked to. I started to paint the halberdiers from previous post today but decided to keep the thread alive with an "army" shot of finished troops. So here ya go!

Most of these guys have been painted for this years Tale but there's also my Coreheim mercenaries "Donner Grollen" that will form a free company unit (the unit on the right + the three handgunners) and two wizards from which one was painted for pure fun and other as a mini for a bright wizard for WFRP. Previous posts include better shots from these "additional" troops.

Managed to get those three chap painted yesterday and I dare to say that I'm happy with the results! Considering that these were guys quite quick to paint I think I might even paint whole swordmen unit with black and white. Highlighting on the halberds isn't so great but then again these are your basic rank-and-file soldiers.

Next in the line is Helblaster and two handgunners. After those I'm good for the Tale for a bit so I think I'll be doing some RPG minies. That naturally will swell the ranks of my free company.

real nice looking army there
    Without judgement
    Perception would increase a million times
    -Chuck

. Space Wolves Plog .

.;

Digging those Halberdiers very much. I think those, the Undead, the Norsca Mercenary the Bright Wizard and Barber Surgeon are my favourites (particularly the last two). Looking forward to seeing more RPG minis

I build a duelist yesterday for swordmen regiment. He's going to start a little TEW-style in the army. There's also going to be a bretonnian knight from our current rpg via skype and he's going to fight as a part of knightly order unit.

However I began to wonder what could a member of Empire do to defy chaos? You cannot step on flags or collect helmets etc. as they're all symbols of chaos and carry the taint with them? Beastmen heads could be one thing but what could I use as spoil of war from Warriors of Chaos? Your basic chaos armies can collect skulls, items, shields, flags etc. but men of Empire? Can't think of anything and I would still like to point out that they've been fighting against chaos.

Commander

I love the metallic armour of your knigths. And the converts on your hallberds. You give me a great idea

Quote Originally Posted by doc_cthulhu View Post
    I began to wonder what could a member of Empire do to defy chaos? You cannot step on flags or collect helmets etc. as they're all symbols of chaos and carry the taint with them? Beastmen heads could be one thing but what could I use as spoil of war from Warriors of Chaos? Your basic chaos armies can collect skulls, items, shields, flags etc. but men of Empire? Can't think of anything and I would still like to point out that they've been fighting against chaos.
    Something has just popped into my head (and so could be a bit too random). Where I grew up the farmers would hang dead moles in a row along a wire fence. Not sure why, but I guess maybe as trophies? Perhaps for the same reason that the ratcatcher character in WFRP has dead vermin hanging from his staff. Sooo, what I was thinking was, perhaps your soldiers could hang manikins representing the minions of chaos, or of the Chaos Gods themselves, from suitable parts of their equipment. Maybe this could show how many they have slain in the same way pilots of fighter aircraft in WWII chalked up their kill count on the outside of the plane.

Perhaps the manikins could be done in a punch & judy style? What if you had a unit that are renowned for specifically going into battle against Chaos? Perhaps all of them wear some sort of scaffold to hang the dolls from?

OR, what if you modeled some holy relics for the troops to carry?

Just some thoughts. Rambling over

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast