Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: doc_cthulhu's painting log

Re: doc_cthulhu's painting log

O_O

Excellent ideas AD! I even have some old wizard familiars that could easily be used as such. This will surely become a part of my army. Thank you very much.

Thanks for other commenters too. It's comments from other users that keep the plogs alive.

Here's a little something I'm working on right now. The two gunmen are almost finished. The one on the left is from Warlord Games' Pike&Shotte line (I think). It looks quite good but I'm still thinking that I shouldn't add more of these as they're somewhat different in scale as Warhammer minies and are as fantasy as I would like them to be.

After those two are done I'll be doing Helblaster volley gun, a cannon and crew for both. Here's a little WIP. If I'll get these done I've pretty much exceeded the goal for my TofTP for this month...

Some furious painting happened yesterday as I got frustrated after cleaning about 40 state troops from horrible amount of paint (pre-painted minis might be cheap but they tend to take a lot more hours to complete). I finished my first cannon and the chaps in the previous post:

I also glued two crew members for Helblaster. Other is your basic carrier (though I might undo him as I found another quite like him from the pre-owned pile) and the other shortly became my favorit mini in the whole army. I'm what you might call a "collector" (or more likely bitz-dragon) as I tend to collect bitz and never use them. While building this army I decided to try to use every bitz box and immidiately after I would have "hmm... this COULD work"-moment. So I build this dude using a Bretonnian man-at-arms head and he got a story for himself at the second I saw the head. He has made so many miscalculations during the Storm of Chaos that his crew mates gave him the clown hat to remimd him to be more accurate.

Last piece is Old Hob (you might know him from WFRP2). He's actually only painted with four colors and devlan mud. The pic looks great but the minis not so complete in real life.

Cool idea with the tree stump
    Without judgement
    Perception would increase a million times
    -Chuck

. Space Wolves Plog .

.;

Yeah I thought so too.

---

Build some more troops to be painted. And as it seems I would most likely need 30-40 (or even 50!) halberd troopers I just had to build some more of them. There's your "dwarf friend" with a pipe, dwarven medallion and some bottles at his back. Two more or less basic soldiers and one with skull mask (can't remember the famous unit from Empire Heraldry).

Couple more war machine crew members for Helblaster and/or great cannon.

And an unit champion from yet-to-come swordmen. This champion is a member of Oberhau from Nuln (which can be found Witch Hunter's Hand book for those that are interested) who's starting a little TEW project for the army. He's still missing the flock from his base in this pic.

After missplacing the unit champion from previous post (how exactly does the parchment flow upwards?!) I decided to build other troops than halberdians for a change. I recently bought a battalion box for Empire and went for the great swords. Only to realize I needed building instructions to get their hands to match! I seriously hate two handed weapons... There's little something extra in each soldier but not as much as with the halberd trooppers. I also build a Knight of the White Wolf on foot (which could also serve as a Warrior Priest of Ulric).

I've also managed to paint four more soldiers for the halberd unit (now consting of 19 soldiers with command group):

...and a Helblaster Volley Gun - which looks much worse in real life... I actually hate it so much I doubt I'll ever use it if I can't find the nerves to re-paint it. Painting black is always a downer for me...

Little something more! What could it be? A little something extra for knights and a start of the swordmen:

And of course something completely different, halberdiers:

I decided that there should be 20 halberdiers with the Hochland uniform so that I could (if I so would choose) wield them as a single unit also.

Managed to find the duelist for swordmen. It doesn't show in this picture but on the shield at his waist is written "Oberhau". This is one mini I'm truly happy with (as is the swordman in the firsts post) but naturally this time the photo doesn't make him justice:

Here's a little something that will be painted next:

Also as the army is Storm of Chaos centered there's going to be a group of white knights:

as well as some Bretonnian knights (who will act as basic knightly order knights):

Love the color choices on that duelist.
    Without judgement
    Perception would increase a million times
    -Chuck

. Space Wolves Plog .

.;

Thanks mate!

Here's a catch up of what I've painted from September to this day.

i love the painting you the color toneees are great!
    ==LotR Elf Army==
    ==LotR Shire Terrain {WIP}==
    MY ARMY RECORDS:
    Lord of the rings Elf army 0-1-1
    Warhammer 40k Tau army 2-0-0

Nicely done. I always love the look of an empire army that bridges multiple provinces. All the colors pull your eye to each individual piece and hold it there. The captain in black is, of course, the best of them all. He's awesome.
    My Talabecland project log:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280554
    My Warriors of Chaos, Wood Elves, and Vampire Counts Project Log:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175187

this log is just great. like the very characteristic models, and subtle but awsome convertions, even tough the painting isnt perfect, and could use some more paint-layers, water & blending, you will receive all of my 5 stars

Nice looking army... There's a lot of diversity there, and some very nice conversions too! Also, the multi-state approach is very, very good!

I'll be stealing some of your ideas for my own Empire army ...

Edit: Where are the Stirlanders? You gotta have some Stirlanders... They drink their ale hot!
    Last edited by Boreas_NL; 03-01-2011 at 08:08. Reason: Forgot to say stuff...
    Check out my Mordheim scenery! NOW! I mean... Please... Only if you want to of course...
    Get your ale while it's still hot! And discover why Stirland should rule The Empire...

Quote Originally Posted by minitrol View Post
    Words cannot describe how I feel about your gamers room soooo Best... Feedback... Ever!!!
    My new personal hobby blog: Toy Soldiers off to War

Not sure where you're going with all this, but it's really pretty. Lots of colors everywhere, but it's not unpleasant at all. It's all well executed and looks great.

Thanks for all of your good words! I like getting feedback and questions and will surely answer to all of them so here's some answer:

@Joeli - yeah I know. I don't know if it can be seen but I'm really lazy painter. I get tend to lose my nerves really early so it's as fast paint as possible for me. Layering isn't for me. I have tried it but as I'm always drawn to horde armies (mainly because I hate elves) I have to paint a lot of troops. They look usually much better in real life as the camera pics all the flaws and brush marks.

@Boreas_NL - Stirlanders are coming! My order from Maelstorm got stuck because of the holidays. I'm hoping to get it during this week and then there will be rustic and poor chaps to join my halberd unit! I'm also curious about what you thought to steal? I really like your log (planing of stealing the messenger unit filler... :P ) and can't wait to see them painted!

@Seville - To Chaos Wastes! There should be much more variety in the troops but my magnets run out so Bretonnian knights (to be used as knightly order knights) and dwarven thunderers (for handgunner attachment) aren't there yet. It's going to be a good sized after-the-war army!

One and half a month of building and no painting at all... Phew... That was some major building but it just needed to be done as my son has began to crawl and I needed to clean my bit boxes from his reach. To the garage... Oh well! At least now I have something to paint!

These two were the only heroes that needed basing (and therefor were around when I took these photos in a hurry - there're a punch of other mages as well for variety's sake).

This is my lord choice (at least before I build the War Altar that seems to be mandatory). She's a Bretonnian Prophetess of the Lady who counts as mage lord on pegasus. I really like the base and I'm hoping some water effects will work out.

Random dudes from bitz boxes to act as militia. The dwarf is my favorite though I usually loath them.

Additional firepower. Now there's enough handgunners for block of 20 shooters. Only one command group though as I think I'll be handling them as detachments if there's no need for that big of a block.

Knights to rise their number to 10. Again some Bretonnians too as a like the feeling of mixed units. It also helps to get my Bretonnian army a little further if GW decides to publish their new armybook sometime...

A new block entirely. I mixed old statetroops and bodies of archers to create this unit. And it turned out pretty great. There's an odd halfling there too. Mainly because I just found them from my collection. They're GW minies but might be even too small.

...to be concluded

...continued

Nothing special here.

These were my favorite conversion - Vampire Hunters from the borders of Sylvania. Outriders with fanatic pieces. Turned out great!

I hope I can get them primed today and maybe start painting tomorrow!

Littleborough, Lancashire. Hub of the Universe

Great stuff! I've been thinking about using the archers like that too. The Outrider/Fanatic combo is inspired. Looking forward to seeing them painted. Also, the fella stood next to the Dwarf looks like Patsy

Holy Hand Grenade! You're right. Maybe I should but him back on the modeling table...

really liking the army as awhole and all the nice detail to models you have put in.

have to say my favourite thing about this log is the fact no one model is the same!

Keep up the ace work!

After losing all inspiration for painting (that's the spring for me) I finally have trained my 11 month old son to let dad do some painting have have been furiously creating minis for our new WFRP campaign. I seriously tried to have a campaign without skaven this time but as one of the players made an insanely paranoid rat catcher and a new-to-warhammer player wanted to fight against the rat people I had little choice...

So I just decided to do a horde of skaven to bound some sense to my players!

This week I've mostly been painting:

As the PCs also needed characters I've build them:

Synab Eichenfass - Commoner who decided to become a boatman with his first exp.

Nils Bärherz - a hunter

And as I'm too laze to pick up the camera now to get a photo of Barbanas Esker, the rat catcher I give you a random squig which was painted in 5min and gave me an inspiration boost for all this speed painting:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast