Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Arnan 317th "Death's Own" - iPaint's IG Log

Re: Arnan 441st "Death's Own" - iPaint's IG Log

I like where this is going so far man! The paint jobs are on point. I love the Pig-Iron/Cadian mix, I've seen it before - but its still VERY awesome. Stick with the ash waste scheme btw, it will look so good with weathering effects n what have you.

btw, love your sig..that gave you the extra 0.1% needed for 5/5!
    Last edited by Kriegfreak; 03-08-2009 at 05:27.
    <

cool project so far, I'm also working on my Pig Iron/Cadian stuff. I like the tank so far too
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT.
    57th Krieg Assault Brigade, Army)
    IV Astartes Legion: Iron Warriors Chaos Space Marines 7th Grand Company. (Log - Updated!)
    9th Haalvak Legion. Mechanized Infantry Log
    Heavy Gear Log
    This is why we avoid the Reddit warhammer board
    <

Another Russ update. Added a larger engine block, designed to break up the profile of the tank some.

~iPaint
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done. - George Carlin
    My Blog: iPaint's Workbench
    40k: Arnan Imperial Guard | Howling Griffons | Dark Eldar | Da Deff Korps
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

I really like the way pig iron heads look on guardsmen. I'm thinking about using them for storm trooper heads in my guard force.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by jdobbs7130 View Post
    I really like the way pig iron heads look on guardsmen. I'm thinking about using them for storm trooper heads in my guard force.
    Probably a good move! Otherwise you'd have to get them via direct-order, which is a pain. I've always wondered why they didn't have a Plastic Storm Trooper Box Set out upon release of the codex. Pig Iron has more than the heads to, they have the full blown storm trooper like figures with a few varieties to boot.

-
    The tank looks really good man. I'd like to try my hand at some plastic piping for a tank barrel. I know its still WIP, but I think its going to need some rivets/battle damage to really come together.
    Last edited by Kriegfreak; 05-08-2009 at 02:44.
    <

Yeah, I have some thin plastic rod I am going to use for rivets once all the main stuff is put together. I also thin having a decent engine block (unlike the regular Russ) will really help as well.

As for Pig Iron, I can't tell you how pleased I have been with what I have used of their products. The one thing I was slightly disappointed with was the Comms head that came with the command pack. It is really quite lopsided and sort of under-detailed, and small compared to the other heads. However, if you have a helmet you want gas-masked, they work wonders for that sort of conversion.

I ordered my packs from a great little shop called Rattlehead Games, about 120 heads in all.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done. - George Carlin
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Updated pics of the Leman Russ. Just need to finish up the rear egine block and add some rivets/stowage and she's good to go.

~iPaint
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Couple day's worth of work on the Russ and here's where it's at. I'd say it's about 95% done, just some more rivets on the side plates and some filler in between gaps in the plasticard and she should be good. I'm debating getting a chimera bits pack off of eBay to add some extra stowage on the sides, since I really want that lived-in feeling.

I also think this will be the only conversion I make, and will use it as the command Leman Russ for any further tanks I get. It just took so damn long to finish. I will be strictly using only the new Demolishers for any more LR tanks I add to the army, and making the cannon barrels from plasticard. I'll see if I can scrounge up some extra bits and pieces from here and there to add some flavor to the kit, since the lack of an accessory sprue is a real let down.

Enough chat from me. Here's some (rather bright) pics. Maybe later this evening I'll take some less-washed out pics.

cont....
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Seeing these pics, I'll definitely be taking a few more pics later this evening to lessen the amount of brightness. A lot of the detail ahs been washed out, sadly.

~iPaint
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Some better lighting:

~iPaint
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

how much would you charge to convert one of those if i sent you a leman russ in the mail?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zarkov View Post
    No-one did it! No-one stabbed my eye out! And there's No-one here to blame!
    Quote Originally Posted by warplock View Post
    When I use a Bloodthirster, he is called Lher'oi M'jhenkins.
    <

Looks good, the second set of pictures really help.

any chance you have a regular russ, to compare it with in some more pics?
    <

Brother Sergeant The Toothless Rhino's Avatar

that looks great, gets me in the mood to convert up a leman russ. damn, i hate it when i get inspired... keep up the good work.
    <

As requested, here's some comparison shots with my Orks' Looted Russ, and some army pics in the next post.

cont...
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Army shot. Well, pretty much just an infantry platoon of 4 squads and 1 heavy wep squad currently with lascannons:

Company Commander with magnetized arms for easy swapping depending on army list:

My favorite Sergeant model so far:

Oh, and I think I'll toss in a Vanquisher shot as well. Lucky for me, the inner diameter of the Demolisher cannon fits perfectly with the tubing I am using. Instant Vanquisher or Demolisher depending on what I feel like.

~iPaint
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Man, that Leman Russ turned out killer! Really rough and tough lookin tank. What measure of tubing are you using btw? Think it would be a good idea to have people know, I'd like to be able to swap in a vanquisher and have it fit so snug!
    <

I believe the outer diameter of the thinner tubing is 1/4", and the thicker one is 5/16". However, these are rough estimates, as they were leftover pieces that I've had for a while and just (luckily!) happened to be a perfect fit.

I like the thickness of the radio antenna: it makes it sturdy and old-fashioned at the same time. Plus, it's already been glued down, so I guess I'm too lazy to go fixing it now

I spent the night reading through all of the Space Hulk post, and the set really brings back fond memories of my childhood. Also, I spent some time making my Hardened Veterans Squad out of leftover heavy wep backpacks, old Stormtrooper packs, and some metal backpacks I've had laying around from a long OOP sci-fi trooper. The squad is gonna have 3 meltas and the Demolitions perk, so they needed lots of gubbins to really make 'em spiffy. I'm thinking I'll set up some sort of camo for them as well when I get around to painting them. I'll have some pics up tomorrow.

I also bit the bullet and sent away for a Baneblade, 4 chimeras, and 2 more Demolishers to round off the army with some mobile support. I also think some decals were in there as well...

~iPaint
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Quote Originally Posted by iPaint View Post
    I believe the outer diameter of the thinner tubing is 1/4", and the thicker one is 5/16". However, these are rough estimates, as they were leftover pieces that I've had for a while and just (luckily!) happened to be a perfect fit.

I like the thickness of the radio antenna: it makes it sturdy and old-fashioned at the same time. Plus, it's already been glued down, so I guess I'm too lazy to go fixing it now

I spent the night reading through all of the Space Hulk post, and the set really brings back fond memories of my childhood. Also, I spent some time making my Hardened Veterans Squad out of leftover heavy wep backpacks, old Stormtrooper packs, and some metal backpacks I've had laying around from a long OOP sci-fi trooper. The squad is gonna have 3 meltas and the Demolitions perk, so they needed lots of gubbins to really make 'em spiffy. I'm thinking I'll set up some sort of camo for them as well when I get around to painting them. I'll have some pics up tomorrow.

I also bit the bullet and sent away for a Baneblade, 4 chimeras, and 2 more Demolishers to round off the army with some mobile support. I also think some decals were in there as well...

~iPaint
    Nice man! I need to get up the courage to finish up my force as well. I'm looking to getting 3 more Chimeras, 2 Leman Russ, 1 more demolisher, and a few more Krieg Infantry packs. (id like the option of using an infantry force in the 1000-1500 range when I dont feel like using all veterans.)

The veterans with the gubbins sound like they are gonna be hella sweet, I run a similar set up. The grenadier doctrine, demos, 3 meltas, and a powerfist are extremely expensive - but they do some serious WORK.
    <

Well, I finally was able to finish assembling all but one of my 70-odd infantry, the last being a melta-gunner in my Vet squad (since I only have 2 command packs and can't find a suitable melta in my bits), and they're all sprayed, ready for eventual painting.

I'm thinking once I have my tanks ready to go, I'll paint them in an Armageddon Steel Legion-esque camo, with perhaps a more yellow color instead of beige. Similar to the FW one here: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/autochim1store.jpg

I need to head out to a local art store and dig around for some oil paints and powders so I have some stuff ready for weathering.

~iPaint
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Update incoming.

I finished the first 3 test models for my Veteran squad. Went with a grey/yellow/black Oak Leaf pattern, which I had perfected a few years ago when I painted some 15mm Germans. Good thing for me this pattern is much easier to reproduce the larger the model is.

They seem sort of shiny here, and I think it is because I need to invest in a better dull coat spray. It's also evening here, so the lighting is rather poor, and I had to use the flash on the camera, so I think that may also be contributing.

Also received part one of my recent purchases, which includes some 50-odd IG tank accessories, 2 more Cadian decal sheets, and 3 (rather larger than I expected!) Baneblade decal sheets for my tanks.

Part 2 should arrive over the weekend, just in time for classes to start...

~iPaint
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast