Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Arnan 317th "Death's Own" - iPaint's IG Log

Re: Arnan 441st "Death's Own" - iPaint's IG Log

any chance of a tutorial or step-by-step for making that Leman Russ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zarkov View Post
    No-one did it! No-one stabbed my eye out! And there's No-one here to blame!
    Quote Originally Posted by warplock View Post
    When I use a Bloodthirster, he is called Lher'oi M'jhenkins.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by No-One View Post
    any chance of a tutorial or step-by-step for making that Leman Russ?
    I think once I have the new kit again I'll show everyone where to cut/move pieces around to get the basic shape, then a rough guide on what I did to plasticard everything.

I really didn't make any plans or templates that survived the process, as most of it was trial and error using 3x5 index cards cut to fit the rough shape I was looking for. Then, once I like what I saw, it was over to the plasticard to cut it out and slap some glue on it.

I don't think I'll be able to reproduce an exact copy of this one because several pieces were pulled off of an old, old Leman Russ kit (the one with the spiked dozer blade, long box hunter-killer missile) and those are incredibly tough to come by now.

However, I'll do my best once the new Demolishers I ordered come in.

~iPaint
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done. - George Carlin
    My Blog: iPaint's Workbench
    40k: Arnan Imperial Guard | Howling Griffons | Dark Eldar | Da Deff Korps
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Warwick, Warwickshire, England, UK, NW Europe, Sol-3, Eastern Spiral Arm

I'd like a tutorial on painting that Oak Leaf pattern camo, please. Excellent stuff so far!
    <

Just a quick on-the-go update. Started spraying my Arnan Russ flat black when the can finally ran out. I guess 50-odd 'Nid gaunts, an Ork Battlewagon, some 75 Guardsmen, and 2/3 of my Russ is all it could take

I will go much lighter on any plastic cement in the future, as I now notice that the leftover pools will be somewhat visible underneath the spray. But boy, she's a beaut!

I've decided to use Tamiya Light Sand and German Grey sprays for my basecoats, and picked up a Raw Umber, Burnt Sienna, and Lamp Black Daler Rowney oil paints and some thinner to really stain the crap outta my tanks. Also in the mix were 2 sets of Tamiya 1/48th Jerry Can sets. All at a nice 30% off from the local Hobby Lobby.

Oh, and I think a Standard Rust MIG pigment pot was in there too.

Out to the store to buy more spray!

~iPaint
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done. - George Carlin
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Well, got some paint on the Arnan Russ this morning. I need to practice a bit more with getting the spray pattern down, but I guess I'll have 8 more tanks to work on when they show up on Monday.

Pretty much just sprayed the whole thing flat black, then sprayed Tamiya German Grey over everything except the Gatling and plasma guns. Then, I went with stripes of Tamiya Light Sand over the hull, gun barrels, and turret.

Here's how it looks just basecoated with sprays, nothing else.

I think once I get some drybrushing and oil washes onto it the whole piece will become much grittier and darker, and the contrast between the colors will fade.

cont...
    Last edited by iPaint; 23-08-2009 at 22:34.
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Also finished 3 of the 5 models for my Company Command squad, including the medic, Vet with plasmagun, and a vox-caster.

Here shown with the Platoon Commander:

I still need to weather the end of the plasma pistol.

Details:

~iPaint
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Love the tank.
    It is better to have a gun and not need it rather than need a gun and not have it.
    <

Very pleased with what I'm seeing. Nice choice on the tank colors.
    <

Nice looking Russ variant.
    <

This is turning out really great! One of the more effective Russ conversions I've seen, kudos
    <

Thanks for the comments everyone. I received part two of my purchases today, in a box that weighed in at 10lbs. Buried in its depths were 3 Baneblade decal sheets, 4 Chimeras, 2 Leman Russ Demolishers, and a Baneblade to seal the deal.

I spent what time I had today between class and watching an amazing Rockies-Giants (crazy awesome) game to assemble the first Chimera. I'd been pampered on the new Russ tracks, and spent maybe half an hour test fitting one side to see the most effective way of assembling the tracks before finally gluing them down. Thankfully, the track guards cover 2/3 of the exposed upper tracks, so any mistakes can be rectified with them.

I debated what to slap on it, and decided that the codex entries had to be included, so on went the searchlight and smoke launchers. I also decided to glue the lasguns in place to avoid having the eventual "oh no, spray paint glued them down..." scenario. I added some equipment to the sides and top hatch, which I plan to rope down using either a medical guaze "net" or some thin string. I'm leaning towards the net at the moment.

I'll most likely continue work on assembling Chimeras this week, then maybe tackle the Baneblade this weekend. Keep an eye out for pics tomorrow.

Here's a tutorial for painting the camo on my Vets:

Basecoat black.
    Paint blotches of light grey.
    Paint blotches of yellow-tan (Dunkelgelb is a fitting color description for it).
    Add yellow-tan dots to black and grey areas.
    Add grey dots to black and yellow-tan areas.
    Finish off with black dots over yellow-tan and grey areas.
    Apply a black/brown thinned-wash to weather random areas.

Hope that helps.

~iPaint
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

mmm, I need pictures of the box with juicy GW boxes within to grasp the full awesomeness.
    <

So, 2 Chimeras was all I lasted before pulling out the Baneblade. I have assembled the right track/hull piece to about 60%, and I have to say, anyone with more than one must have spent a good amount of time with assembly. I'll have some pics up tonight.

~iPaint
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Brother Sergeant

Lol saw this lol and was like creepy

Why?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/218955

http://www.coolminiornot.com/229990

Started work a long time ago, my progress and talent is horribly slow and low.

I love your color scheme, and how your pictures seem to come out so crystal clear, I always seem to take dozens of pictures to get one half decent one.

I especially love your tank mods, been working on a couple but always give up and go the standard layout, haven't painted any yet haven't figured out how to create a good dark grey and blue worn look.

Considering the GW spray gun, or maybe an airbrush but worried about the time it would take.

Amazing work you got here looking forward to seeing more

p.s. I picked the 317th since it seemed easy to paint on, hate decals my clumsy fingers never can do them right. I plan to eventually order or get some custom ones made for squad markings on the other shoulder pad and didn't want to double my work
    Last edited by GotTofu; 26-08-2009 at 21:54.
    <

great Looking stuff, Looking forward to more..

Subbed
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Micha View Post
    *either I dice Jesus, or I Fail horribly it seems... either way I use lots of Blast weapons*

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    He is going to be armed with two thunder hammers just for the ridiculousness of it.
    <

Pics as promised.

Chimera #1:

Chimera #2

cont...
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Baneblade in progress:

Commanders:

Comparison with Arnan Russ:

~iPaint
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Brother Sergeant

Very nice can't wait to see those tanks painted.

Btw is the Chimera the only IG vehicle that still comes with tread guards?

I may have to try your method to create tread guards since I think they look so cool on a vehicle.

That or worry about buying several chimera before they update them as well and get rid of the guards.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by GotTofu View Post
    Very nice can't wait to see those tanks painted.

Btw is the Chimera the only IG vehicle that still comes with tread guards?

I may have to try your method to create tread guards since I think they look so cool on a vehicle.

That or worry about buying several chimera before they update them as well and get rid of the guards.
    I think only the newer tanks are without the vehicle accessory sprue, so the Hellhound and Demolisher. Other than that the sets come with track guards.
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Time for another update.

Got some paint on the 3 smaller tanks, as they'll be my test vehicles. After a light, light drybrush of white, I used a piece of foam from a blister pack and dabbed it into some dark grey paint that is almost a perfect match of the Tamiya spray. It has some more blue in it though, but not enough to notice after weathering. Dab here, dab there, and we immediately have a worn-out looking tank.

I then decided to go for some deep rust effects to start off. I am really liking the oil paints I picked up. I did a quick wash of about 2 parts Raw Sienna, 1 part Black, and 5 parts mineral spirits in a small container. I then applied this mix randomly to the tanks, and let it sit for about 30 seconds. I then took pure spirits and washed the drying mix around some, to smooth out the weathering. So far, I like how it has dried. Next up will be a gloss spray and decals, along with any details that will be weathered, such as eagles, handles, etc. Then, it will be a black pin wash, then a thorough wash using Burnt Umber. At least, that's the current plan.

Pics:

And I finished assembling the Baneblade as well. He'll get a spray tonight once everything is dry.

~iPaint
    Last edited by iPaint; 29-08-2009 at 06:02.
    My App! Find The Gnomes
    <

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast