Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What is an "Address Nickname"

Smile Re: What is an "Address Nickname"

Quote Originally Posted by jackson11 View Post
    Good day Duke.
    Good day to you.
    Jackson11, I enjoyed your entire post. But to save space have edited out the bulk of it in my quote.

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypaspist View Post
    The Evil Darth Ste (or TEDS as all shall now call him!)

Get your custom title 'ere! Jim's Avatar

Re: What is an "Address Nickname"

Quote Originally Posted by xowainx View Post
    Some days there are threads and posts on Warseer that make me contemplate giving up visiting here. The above post makes me glad I haven't yet.
    Seconded - that post was inspirational (and so far ignored by the OP I notice)

Jim

It's caught in the zipper TheBigBadWolf's Avatar

Jackson11 you are a legend ,

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Georgal View Post
    Really? That makes you feel sorry for the future? I guess the future is not as durable as it used to be.
    lol, coming from the man who started this over reaction thread that says a lot

I had no idea what it was either. I've never nicknamed addresses before and wasn't sure if it was an Americanisation that had transferred across. We call it a post code, the US a zip code. I had to assume what it was on other order forms.

Anyway, I was confused about it as well. I didn't know if it was an important part of the ordering procedure and didn't want to get it 'wrong' and find my order in Malaysia sent to 'Curry Shop'. A nickname isn't 'Home', that's what it IS. A nickname is 'boomstudio', 'gasparty', 'house of hell'.

The first thought in my head wasn't 'oh it want's to know if it's going to my home' it was 'I don't have a nickname for my home' which made me think it was far more important than it appears it was.

Hellebore
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    This is like going into a rage because a restaurant has you order your drink and food at the same time.

This is like becoming angry because the gas pump gives you a special offer instead of just finalizing the transaction.

This is like throwing a tantrum and refusing to go back to a retail store ever again because the cashier asked for your phone number during checkout.
    No, it is like none of those things.

It would be more like if the waiter would not let me order until I told him my favorite color, or if the gas pump would not dispense fuel until I told it my pet name for my wife. And, no, I would not shop at a retail store that would not check me out without knowing my private telephone number.

I have owned my house for many, many years. Why would it have a nickname? That is just stupid.

It seems too many people have forgotten what it means to be a consumer. When you are purchasing, the whole operation revolves around you. It needs to make you satisfied, at ease, and happy. It also better make you want to patronize the business again. The consumer makes the rules, the operation just sets policy to remain profitable.

If you were to patronize my business, I could show you what it means to be a satisfied customer. Whatever you want, you will get it. Need your wife driven to the mall so she can shop... done. Want me to bring in a meal for you from your favorite restaurant... no problem. Do you need me to make arrangements for a rental or hotel... you got it. If you think your situation is important enough to have parts flown in on a charter airline... I can do that too. There is no request a customer can make that I will not make sure my people do not move the world to satisfy. (I could have worded that better, but I hope you can see what I was trying to say).

If for even one second I think you are getting aggravated by the way we do business, I will change what is happening to suit your desires.

In the end you will pay for all services. I am not running a charity, but you will leave as satisfied and happy as is humanly possible.

Why would any of you tolerate any less when you are the one spending your own precious money?

Duke Georgal of Entralgia

Victory At Any Price

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Oh, so thats why I sometimes get letters with the first line of my adress on it twice....
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Well, Mr. Duke, I would really enjoy if you brought me a meal from my favorite restaurant, but while I understand you're not running a charity, I think it would probably be a bit expensive to have you come over from the US just for this task so I'll do it myself.

Still, I don't get this outrage. What's the problem? Type it in once and you'll never have to deal with it again. While I admit it confused me at first too, I'm longe since over it. There are far more serious issues with the GW site than this one.

(Including locking my account and not wanting to open it again.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Games Workshop
    We have a simple strategy at Games Workshop. We make the best fantasy miniatures in the world and sell them globally at a profit and we intend to do this forever. [...] We know that [...] people who are interested in collecting fantasy miniatures will choose the best quality and be prepared to pay what they are worth. [...] We don’t spend money on things we don’t need, like [...] advertising that speaks to the mass market and not our small band of loyal followers.
    In case you ever wondered.

Chapter Master

Well, because of this thread I know what "address nickname" is all about.

THAT said....If it had been me I would not have known what the heck they were asking for. As mentioned by the OP it was a required item...No completed transaction without it.....The company would not get the customer's money/business.

Maybe the OP did in fact over react. The question remains....why couldn't the people who set it up have had some consideration for the paying customers who did not already know what the heck addree nickname referred to.

If and or when I do not understand what the heck a business site is referring to I do not complete the transaction. The company does not get my money.
    I am therefore I think OR I think therefore I am?

No, it is like none of those things.

It would be more like if the waiter would not let me order until I told him my favorite color, or if the gas pump would not dispense fuel until I told it my pet name for my wife.
    Considering the name you chose to give this thread, those analogies only hold true if you didn't know your favourite colour, or your pet name for your wife.

Or, perhaps more accurately, what a colour or pet name were.

Brother Sergeant

Its not asking what the nickname of your house is, its asking what you want to call the address you just entered so you can save it for future use, and to do that, you must give it a title, like "Home" or "Work" so you can select it for future orders, its actually suppose to help people get through the order process faster.

So what is this company you work for? (To the OP)
    Quote Originally Posted by RexTalon View Post
    Can you guys take your discussion about Hairy Pooter somewhere else? This thread's about a box.

Quote Originally Posted by Charax View Post
    Considering the name you chose to give this thread, those analogies only hold true if you didn't know your favourite colour, or your pet name for your wife.

Or, perhaps more accurately, what a colour or pet name were.
    Brilliant observation, and absolutely correct.

Waiter: "That you for your order sir, now before I send this to the kitchen you have to tell me what your tippler's assignment is."

Me: "I don't understand what you are asking."

Waiter: "It is required before I proceed, now I will ask again, What is your tippler's assigment?"

That is what the GW web store is like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought6107 View Post
    I run the service department of a company that specializes in servicing high end ($500,000.00 and up) recreational vehicles and trucks that have expidited JIT or CCS contracts.

Duke Georgal of Entralgia

Victory At Any Price

Whilst I did not know what the site was asking for as an 'address nickname', having never heard this term before, I have come across mandatory fields such as this this before and just entered N/A and continued.

Reading back through the tread it seems that as there is a certain amount of confusion and difference on opinion we should just put it down to another example of GW assuming that we know what they mean, just like some of their less well worded rules.

It is typical of the GW that we all know and love, they have to put some vague wording in somewhere

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought6107 View Post
    Its not asking what the nickname of your house is, its asking what you want to call the address you just entered so you can save it for future use, and to do that, you must give it a title, like "Home" or "Work" so you can select it for future orders, its actually suppose to help people get through the order process faster.

Well....why not just ask the customer if the address is "work or home"? Why use a PC only term/phase instead of regular words?

Nickname isnt a regular word?

I'll contact the dictionary and have them correct that for you...

On topic, I love how the "anti-cult" of GW get so insanely upset by every action on GWs part based on some strange self imposed chastisement.

GW added a usefull timesaving function to their website... TO PERSONALLY PERSECUTE THEIR LOYAL CUSTOMERS!!!!!

Its all a state of mind. The company is in no way worse than any of the hundreds of companies I've dealt with. People should get over it, and get back to enjoying their hobby...

If I hadn't read this thread, I would have had no idea when I signed up for an account.

It is a nice idea, but is poorly implemented (they could have had: home, work and custom as the options, keeps it simple and shows everyone what they mean)
    La Grande Armée!-Check out my Sci-Fi Napoleonic IG Army
    http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201549

SM Codex 4.5
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211189

Dice for the Dice God!

Chapter Master

[QUOTE=xxRavenxx;3843256]Nickname isnt a regular word?

I'll contact the dictionary and have them correct that for you...

I looked up the word "Nickname".........."a familiar or humorous name given to a person or thing instead of or as well as a real name. Give a nickname to; call by a nickname".

Now....the term, the phrase was and is "address nickname". I don't see where I challenged the single word nickname in my post.

By the by.....I have known for decades what nickname means. THAT is why I say GW used a poor choice of terms, of a phrase instead of asking openly if the address is a home or business one.

Waiter: "That you for your order sir, now before I send this to the kitchen you have to tell me what your tippler's assignment is."

Me: "I don't understand what you are asking."

Waiter: "It is required before I proceed, now I will ask again, What is your tippler's assigment?"
    Ok, so that made me LOL.

Monday morning has been brightened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypaspist View Post
    The Evil Darth Ste (or TEDS as all shall now call him!)

Quote Originally Posted by Occulto View Post
    I entered "n/a" which took me all of half a second, then tabbed to the next field.

You are being overly melodramatic and it reflects more poorly on yourself, than GW.
    That's what I did. I wasn't really sure what they were asking in their (I thought it might but for those houses that have numbers and/or name) so I just went with N/A and left it at that. Didn't see the need to do anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
    Hey thats not fair, in my part of East Anglia we atleast get stabbings and rapes now.
    Quote Originally Posted by veryberry View Post
    I work with a load of women now and they pretty much all know about what i get up to as a hobby and occasionally tease me about being geeky but then I just tease them about their inability to keep a man!
    Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster24 View Post
    Sorry Israel. No tits, no vote.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3