Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mal's Terrain Log

Mal's Terrain Log

Well after being in the hobby for quite some time I have decided to get into terrain like never before, I have amassed a lot of terrain, including Imperial sectors and cities, shrines of the aquilla, fantasy fortress, FW ork totems, LE GW terrain pieces; Dwarf stronghold, graveyard, wizards tower, hills, trees, bunkers, bastions, barricades and so on...

Though besides the premade stuff... al of it is to do and only about half made!!! So I have decided to start this log to get advice, peoples opinions and most of all, to keep me motivated.

First of all here is a few test pieces of the CoD kits:

Now a new update after quite awhile. I have started on my terrain after having only a few buildings for ages I ahve started on the Ruinss of Malnor.

Here is a few WIP pics of my city ruins.

And some of my fantasy terrain in action... still needs to be finished.

(It was a draw by the way )

I will be focusing on 40k terrain for the forseeable future and will be doing a lot of GW but also terrain by Amera and when I get my hands on some, some by urban mammoth (or whatever its called) hope you all like!

Re: Mal's Terrain Log

Looks like the start of a good log.

Good stockpile of stuff, now get building!

Bugbait out
    * Apocalypse Ork Plog * * Terrain building log * * Bugbaits Thunder Wolves *
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thanks!

Pictures of my prototype WIP, a standard ruined imperial building.

'Inside'

Cracked floor, using paved plasticard from my local train shop

A slightly different angle

The building is already different from how it looks in the pics and I will be adding more small details to personalise it, so what do you guys think?

Looks good to me, like the broken tiles, but the question of the day is how much rubble are you going to have?
    Realistic yet unplayable, or a small amount that a mini can stand on?

Debating it. I think with this first one (and the fact the floor tiles are already in the corners) I will go for the playable lack of rubble way, will be adding to the current pic of course, my excuse is feral peasents stole the rubble to make hovels *shifty eyes*.

In regards to basing, am I right in thinking that mixing PVA (with or without water?) with sand/gravel and cut off sprue bits is the way to go?

Thanks
    Last edited by Lord Malorne; 14-08-2009 at 23:56.

Looking forward to more Malorne!
    A mind without purpose buys stuff it doesn't need.
    My Modular Swamp project log!
    A lonely planet guide to your very own planet? Come join in the fun on my Design a world thread!

I have used straight PVA on 3mm MDF bases without any warping, I use sand from various sources, beaches (fine) and sand pits (coarse) and gravel from my driveway, cheap is good!

Bugbait out

And that sprays and paints over fine?

Well I went for it, I could not apply it at first so added some water and it then went on smoothly, I hope it sets and primes well!

I still feel as though I should add something, though it is just a prototype and the real aim is to see if I can make a finished, decent, based building.

And here is but a few pics of what's in store for me...

I got all those shrines of the aquilla, though have no idea what kind of thing I want to build with them, a friend of mine has built a BIG building and the aim is to of course out do him... but what to build! :cries:
    Last edited by Lord Malorne; 15-08-2009 at 21:05.

PVA takes hours to dry, I leave mine overnight and then paint with spray or brush, no problems. I do give it a scrub with an old toothbrush first to remove the bits that didnt glue 100%

Aye I was going to leave it overnight after past experiences with PVA, thanks for the toothbrush tip, I was just wondering how to go about that .

I have the roughcoat spray but with the horror stories of clogging I want to do a lot in one go, I will not be using it with my CoD buildings but will be on the Amera stuff (except the one I forgot to do it on ), though I feel the watered down PVA with even less sand may be better to do on them, does anyone have any experience doing either?

All the best

Chapter Master

I use wallpaper paste tables myself tell me have you bolted them together and put the GW play mat on top.

Quote Originally Posted by maze ironheart View Post
    I use wallpaper paste tables myself tell me have you bolted them together and put the GW play mat on top.
    No I have kept them as seperate tables, the board on top is a 6x4 MDF board with a mat on, this keeps my table easy to pack up. I flip the board to use the underside for moddeling as you can see in the above pics.I am planning to paint the underside black for my BFG games and black works ok for a blank 40k board, as we have a few at my local club the same.

I have bought three 4x2's MDF boards to put on top, one side of each will be Blue for Uncharted seas games (so expect islands in this log in the future) and a more 40k centred board on the other side of them.

Last edited by Lord Malorne; 17-08-2009 at 09:35.

Chapter Master

Ta been neglecting the terrain side but am going to work on both fantasy and 40k terrain.So do you use the GW mat do you have it stapled on to it or do you have it as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by maze ironheart View Post
    Ta been neglecting the terrain side but am going to work on both fantasy and 40k terrain.So do you use the GW mat do you have it stapled on to it or do you have it as normal.
    I got the board off of a mate, the mat is stapled on, in hindsight I would not have glued/stapled it on as with the pasting boards being rather edgy underneath it has created lines on the mat, the boards are not the best thing to have but they are easy to use.

To prevent the extreme sagging I have a stack of box's underneath pushing the middle up, slightly higher so the middle curves up a bit, after a good few months (6-8) it is now slightly curved downwards, so while being an easy-to-hand table for a board, it does have drawbacks.

Small squares of MDF will take PVA without warping but anything bigger than say 10" square will need varnishing first. If you use PVA on MDF thinner than 1cm it will warp because of the water in the glue.
    A lonely planet guide to your very own planet? Come join in the fun on my Design a world thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Scout Ewan View Post
    Small squares of MDF will take PVA without warping but anything bigger than say 10" square will need varnishing first. If you use PVA on MDF thinner than 1cm it will warp because of the water in the glue.
    I have a few 12x12's and a 12x18 (inch) MDF boards to do, so with the terrain on what would I need to do to prevent warping? I am an idiot when it comes to varnishing .

Right, decided to do a little work on my admech building.

I decided to make it fully enclosed as having the odd window looking into nothing didn't sit right with me so I got some:

Cut it up and added to the windows:

Was not the easiest to glue it on the inside so I had to resort to:

'Padding it' heehee.

I have also sprayed the WIP based building:

Looks better without the camera flash, I have since drybushed the fudge out of it with codex grey mixed with chaos black, I still have yet to decide what colour to go for with my buildings in general, as to the bases I want to go for a dark urban look that can pass for ash as I have the desire to go for a 'lava' board.

Go to Wilkinsons and buy some cheap wood varnish in whatever finish you like. With a Big brush slop on said varnish and leave to dry. Simples. (yay got to use it!)

MDF is basically dense paper mache and PVA will cause it to become like wet paper. Adding the varnish seals the paper and stops it from warping. Remember to do the edges too. The water and glue seeps between the layers creating bubbles or small bubbles which can cause the warping... iirc that is

I've done a fair bit of terrain in the past and learnt alot from this experience! Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Wolf Scout Ewan; 17-08-2009 at 18:40.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast