Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dipping: Experimenting w/Ogres

Librarian

Dipping: Experimenting w/Ogres

First, an admission: I'm not a very good painter (lack of talent, patience, time, etc...), so I really struggle w/blending and shading. Highlighting and drybrushing for me are hit or miss.

I've been dipping painted models since this summer; it's a tip I picked up from some of my historicals wargaming buddies and a friend at USGWHQ. If you're unfamiliar w/the process, it's basic system is very simple. Paint the model by number (i.e.: just apply the paint scheme: no drybrushing, no inking, no shading, no blending, no highlighting). Then dip the model into a polyurathane stain (i.e.: a wood stain mixed w/polyurathane, like Minwax Polyshades), usually Antique Walnut. Shake the model vigorously to remove the excess. Let dry for 24 hrs, and finally spray w/a matte coat. Your finished product turns out faux-shaded and faux-blended paint job.

This method is catching on w/undead players, tyranid players, and lizzies. However, I've adapted it for my Ogre army. B/c the models are bigger, I gave each model a stark highlight/drybrushing and inked the weapons. I also brushed the "dip" onto the models so that I could more easily control how the "dip" pooled.

Onto the samples ...

4 bulls and an irongut

post-dipping front

post-dipping back

post-matte front

post-matte back

I've got more examples w/close-ups: Ironfists, Ironguts, Leadbelchers.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Re: Dipping: Experimenting w/Ogres

They look good to me .

They do look good, however I feel a nice regular paintjob may have suited these better, just that's just my two cents on dipping larger models.

A tip though, whilst they do look good overall, I think the next ones could be shaken a lot more vigourously to stop the pooling that has occured in some areas.

TG

Librarian

TG: I think you're generally right about larger models. However, I could never do them justice in the first place (the following samples may give you some insight into my basic painting ability; the first image is about as good as it gets for me). Also, I've found that "dipping" always results in some bad pooling spots; that's why I almost always brush the "dip" on now.

Anyhoo ...

Here are some ironfisted bulls. Some interesting things happened w/these. I used brown ink over boltgun metal, then I dipped and matte coated. The chemicals reacted, and I got a subtle ridging/rippling effect that approximates actual rust really well. Also, I used a black undercoat over which I put some light coats of yellow ... weird water staining effects were produced.

pre-dipping: basic colors

dipped: front

dipped: back

Librarian

hmm seem to have lost the rest of the ironfist pics

here they are

matte coated: front

matte coated: back

dipped: close-up

matte coated:close up

looking pretty good, i might have to give that a go with some of my armies.
    Steve

Dipping is a technique that can produce very fast, OK quality horde armies. I've done a few.
    Gold LOTR poster/nut '06 and '07
    Most Northerly Wastoid '07
    ...plus a few other things...

So there!

The Bergen Boltgun Association

Ogres are far from a horde army.. that is, unless you include a regiment or two of 50 gnoblars......

EDIT: Eh.. trying to be on topic.

I think maybe the yellow was a bit too bright. They look like a traffic light! Otherwise I think the dipping produced an acceptable effect on he skin.

They look pretty good, but I agree with Pertinax that dipping is more of a horde army thing; it's worth putting in a bit more time and painting properly if you only have a few large models. Nevertheless, the results are more than satisfactory, and, considering the speedy technique and small numbers, dipping ogres may be the ultimate fast painting army! How long has it taken you to get to this point?
    Like slack-jawed never Gnyaarg. Some then folks'll folks'll skunk, some. the but, again yokel eat a Cletus.
    | Project log |
    McMullet's avatar has poorly hands and so few postings will be written and they may be a little terse.

Chaplain
    In a trench with muddy boots and wet feet.

great job!
    el oh el

So long as your happy with the results, if you think it improves your painting then go for it.

They do look good, but don't forget about mold lines, I can see a few mixed about there, they need to be filed on the next batch.

TG

They look very nice indeed but I think Its a bit of destroying the art when dipping, some people dipp their models and they turn out better then someone that put down alot of time and effort to paint a single model up, I see this as a bit of cheating but hey its only my oipnion... on topic- they look nice as tzeeentchgiant said get rid of mouldlines otherwise they look good

BTW: Here is my gallery of things that I have dipped.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v300/p...pped%20things/
    Gold LOTR poster/nut '06 and '07
    Most Northerly Wastoid '07
    ...plus a few other things...

So there!

The Bergen Boltgun Association

Really nice man. It is a farily simply way to do flesh tones good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slazton View Post
    If some one tried to equip themselves in power armour, a sub machine gun grafted to their left eye, a nuclear warhead strapped to their crotch and a titan class flamer thrower grafted onto their ****, then we would have a problem.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298986 Building up for Apoc.. Dorn's Strike force.

I think they look like toffee popcorn, which is slightly too delicious for models to look. But seriously i think its great that people who might not be able to paint very well can finish their models so nicely with little effort. I like it.

For someone who thinks their painting is bad, you put me to shame!!!

I think they look awesome.
    Hlokk: Warseers Resident White Wolf fanboy.
    Quote Originally Posted by der_lex
    If a woman sleeps with lots of guys, she's a ****, but if a man sleeps with lots of women, he's Hlokk.
    2006: 2nd Place: Warseers Best poster. 2007: 2nd Place: Warseers funniest poster

Librarian

@Pertinax & McMullet: I don't think that dipping needs to be reserved for horde armies, which I take to mean a gaggle of small models (skinks, gaunts, skellies, etc...). I think Pertinax's pics (gnarloc, nid big boys, slann, krox, saurus cav) show that dip can be useful on bigger models. The problem w/dipping big models is simply that the models are so big the dip pools up in very weird places (some of Pertinax's kroxs suffer from this). So, for my ogres, I brushed on the dip to give me better control over where it pooled. Those that can actually paint their models w/proper blending, highlights, shading; they'd be better served to do it the right way (as the right way, well done, will always look better than dipped models). BTW: my entire army has taken about 2 weeks to paint, averaging ~2 hours a day; it could have gone more quickly w/out the attention I need to spend on my dissertation, wife, and kids (go figure).

@Velkyn: I used my entire Ogre army to experiment w/dipping a wide palet of colors (red, yellow, orange, green, brown, white, black, gray), as my other pictures will show. The yellow has to start off bright to compensate for the ambering and darkening of yellow. Still the yellow was probably too bright for ogre pants (mercifully it's only one unit ).

@TG: I'm pretty happy w/the results. I game w/some Golden Demon winners locally, and my crappily painted armies never seem to belong on the table w/theirs. I an aesthetic nutter, so this really pains me. At least w/dipping, from afar my toy soldiers look like they at least belong on the same gaming table as their toy soldiers. BTW: mold lines are the bane of my modelling existance. I seem to frequently overlook them, and when I do try to redress them, I just mess them up even more (working on this though). As you can tell by now, I don't have very steady hands or good eyes.

@Animerik: Perhaps we should a thread on the ethics of dipping. I'd rather play the game w/decent & good looking models, than muddle through w/the artistic abominations I've been fielding. I suspect others feel the same way. My 2 cents anyway.

@Barbarella: Not only do they look yummy; they taste yummy too (just ask my 2 year old). That said, another side effect of dipping is that the models have become virtually indestructible. The aforementioned 2 yr old had at one of these ironfists for about 15 minutes before we realized; needless to say that would have spelled certain doom for ordinarily painted models.

Here are some leadbelchers that I did on the same day. Dipping has a dirtying affect on white, and I got the same ridging/rusting effect on the metal.

pre-dipping: basic colors

post-dipping: front

post-dipping: back

Librarian

here are the rest of the leadbelcher pics:

post-matte: front

post-matte: back

close-up: post-dip

close-up: post-matte

I've got some Ironguts done like this as well and at the same time as the previous pics. I think the Ironguts probably turnout the best. I'll try to get them up later.

Chapter Master

Personally I don't think dipping works all that well on models of this size.

i like it more and more, what color? you mentioned walnut before? i think iam going to definately try this on my bugs since i have to add some and repaint the whole lot anyways.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast