Thread: Wood Elf Forest Dragon - Setup and Tactics

Wood Elf Forest Dragon - Setup and Tactics

I got myself one of the HE Dragon kits to make into a Forest Dragon, but was wondering: What setup is good for the Highborn riding it.

Also, what supports the Dragon well in the Wood Elf list or what does the Dragon support well? How is it used there normally, as I don't have much experience of using Dragons in Warhammer currently!
    Infinity Yu Jing Plog | Firestorm Armada Plog

For a long time humour was thought to be the most potent antidepressant; recently, though, it was found that the bitter suffering of one's enemies, with the placing of sensible limitations on the success of one's friends, was still more effective.

Re: Wood Elf Forest Dragon - Setup and Tactics

the forest dragon is unfortunately the worst of the dragons in warhammer but it is still a terror causing monster and should be used as such. Scare off low LD armies, flank charge and kill small units etc. Use the dragon as a mobile heavy hitter and he will do good together with most other elements of the WE list.

For gear give him the 3+ ward item that also protects the mount as well as much armour as you can since you are T3 and vulnerable to low S shooting. Keep him safe from goblin archers etc since they will destroy your ward. pendant to make models in base to base contact strike last might also be useful if you plan on fighting HE and other ASF models (not sure you can take both though since I dont have the book with me)

The dragon is a mobile, hard-hitting, rank-breaking flying monster.

Taking it means you are going to have a much smaller army and fewer characters then your opponent. You will suffer in the magic phase, badly, and will need to be able to make up for this deficiency.

The biggest threats to the dragon are unbreakable tarpits and warmachines. Regenerating plaguebearers and reraisable undead will keep your pricey lord from doing anything, so avoid these unless you are positive you can beat them.

Obviously, a mobile and hitty list will work best with the dragon. Dryads, wild riders, and wardancers are all good. Eagles and warhawk riders will help deal with enemy warmachines and can marchblock the enemy to keep them from reacting to you. A pair of scroll caddies will go a long way towards protecting your lord from the deadly spells.

WE always suffer in the magic phase and a couple of scroll caddies are unfortunately standard equipment at 2k nowdays. as a general rule dont charge anything you cant kill in one turn.

Quote Originally Posted by PeG View Post
    the forest dragon is unfortunately the worst of the dragons in warhammer
    Not saying your wrong, iam not too familiar with the wood elf list, but curious as to why? Arnt its stats the same as the dark elf and standard high elf one?

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mullitron View Post
    Not saying your wrong, iam not too familiar with the wood elf list, but curious as to why? Arnt its stats the same as the dark elf and standard high elf one?
    No hatred, lousier breath weapon and a crap-ass highborn on top instead of an unkillable dreadlord with great equipment.

what witchblade said.

I think annoyance of netlings is really nessecary for the inevitable challenge you will get yourself into. the helm of the hunt is always good value for money. The horn of Asrai i think could go well. dawnspear would be good for troops and the spear of twilight might be helpful as well

Il go helm of the hunt, spear of twilight, annoyance of netlings and horn of asrai. 100pts on the dot and best anti-character/troop fitout I think you are able to get for the elf hero. The spirit sword could work but it depends on your opponent and their leadership.
    Check out my website www.theonlinevault.net for great deals on Yugioh, Warhammer 40k and Fantasy.

Is nettings so necessary as the Dragon gets to fight as well, which isn't affected and gives more likely to kill first (assuming the charge).

Amber Pendant is models on foot only, so that's not available.

Helm of the Hunt seems solid, though it's a good item on anyone who can take it normally.

Personally i've found the dragon to be particularly awsome in my primarily shooting army. I like having a slightly smaller army so i have plenty of room to maneuver around and makes for a really great mop up unit. Against low shooting armies/setups he causes havoc with terror and marchblocking and helps my WE handle heavily armored targets.

The weakness is however the highborn on his back... between my waywatchers and warhawk riders i rarely worry about artillery, and anytime i do have to worry about it i simply play patiently, using my over the top shooting phase to reduce or eliminate other incomming fire.

Not to mention ultimately its a dragon. People have to adjust their plans when they see it, often knocking them off balance. Some people set thier sights on it and wind up losing sight of the targets they actually probably could eliminate a little more easily, or they out of inate intimidation avoid it like the plague often putting them out of position. Most people simply dont expect to see a dragon in a WE list and simply arn't prepared for it.

In closing to me its invaluable support for an all shooting army that can have trouble mopping up units and works well along 2x spellsingers decked for magic defense.

Chapter Master

I've used this set-up with decent success:
    - hail of doom: mobile platform for it
    - helm of the hunt: goes without saying
    - dawnspear: -1 to hit on opponents after being hit
    - fimbulwinter shard: -1 to hit bearer and mount in combat

First turn, opponents with WS 8 or lower that have taken a wound in their unit will be hitting you on 6s.

This is great for breaking medium-strength units and it's also good for support, as the -1 to hit from the dawnspear affects all enemy attacks, not just those against the dragon rider.

On the downside, you're extremely vulnerable to ASF troops and missiles.

This presumes you don't take the standard alter noble.

I have used it with great effectiveness. The mobility is greatas it can deliver a US 6 flank/rear charge threat your oppnent has to adjust to, a terror bomb, and Ld 10 to the right fights. As has been said before, you need to combine it with another charging unit (i.e., Wild Riders) to ensure that you break/destroy the unit in one turn. I have my Lord with the 3+ Ward Save and Regen which provides good protection against shooting and CC. It is pretty tough to break through that.

I think it works best when combined with other mobile/flexible units like Wild Riders/Dryads/Wardancers. The other units can position themselves easily opposite the dragon creating a charge sandwhich. Took down a Steg in one turn twice in a game using this method. The breath weapon is also ok (as long as you roll 6's to wound )

One final nice thing is that it is also 600 points of points denial if you are careful.

I set up my dragon riding highborn to take out knights as that's what my shooty army has the most problem with.

-Bow of loren
    -Arcane bodkins
    -enchanted shield
    -light armor
    -spear

Now I can fly to the flank of a unit of knights, use the forest dragons breath weapon, and then hit them with 4 shots that ignore armor.

If I'm ignored I can hit a flank and usually kill enough so there is little to no attacks going back towards my weak lord.

If there is a lot of warmachines I just take them out with waywatchers/hail of doom/warhawks and then move out from cover.

I refuse to use the 3+ ward item as it stinks with cheese.
    The only cure known for the dreaded illnes of Ruleslawyeritus is a swift dosage of punchinthefaceicilin. -Tapok
    The 7 Habits of Effective Gamers: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232493
    The ONLY reason i joined this forum was to join Malorians arenas. - teafloy_the_damned
    Join the Arena of Death!: http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    Me on Youtube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMalorian?feature=mhum

My fav combo is this one.

Highborn on forest dragon
    - Light armour/shield
    - Helm of the Hunt
    - Sword of Might
    - Stone of Crystal Mere
    - Hail of Doom
    = 571pts

Gives him 5 S5 attacks on the charge with a 4+ save followed by a 3+ ward save. Hail of doom for shooting off in the first turn when you can't charge.
    Time of Madness
    "The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule."
    - Robert Jordan

Another one I like is

Highborn on Forest Dragon
    - Light Armour/shield/spear
    - Helm of the Hunt
    - Wraithstone
    - Glamourweave
    = 577pts

Gives a terror test on -1 LD. On top of that people in close combat have to pass another LD test to hit the character.
    Time of Madness
    "The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule."
    - Robert Jordan

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Malorian View Post
    I refuse to use the 3+ ward item as it stinks with cheese.
    30 points for a use-'til-it-fails 3+ ward for an already weak character?

If you compare it to the pendant...

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade View Post

Remember it effects the mount as well... and a 3+ ward on a dragon is all you need to stop that all important cannon shot from doing too much damage before you charge.

And don't even think about comparing it to the pendant, that's like declaring a murderer innocent because compared to Hitler he isn't so bad
    The only cure known for the dreaded illnes of Ruleslawyeritus is a swift dosage of punchinthefaceicilin. -Tapok
    The 7 Habits of Effective Gamers: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232493
    The ONLY reason i joined this forum was to join Malorians arenas. - teafloy_the_damned
    Join the Arena of Death!: http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    Me on Youtube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMalorian?feature=mhum

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade View Post

Or an army with hail of doom arrow, bow of loren, and arcane bodkins... oh wait.. that's not cheesy..

Honestly I don't see how Annoyance of Netlings for 25 points is any more fair and balanced than the Pendant for 30.