Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Space Hulk 3E Tileset

Space Hulk 3E Tileset

(this original post has been updated since the thread's earlier replies)

TileSystem 3.0.6 and lastest Space Hulk tileset

Everything is in a single download now. No more extra bits to install.

- Download this file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1694147/Tile...Hulk3E_306.zip (42 meg)

- Create a folder somewhere and unzip it into the folder.

- The program's name is "TileSystem.exe".

- Be sure to turn on OpenGL support in the View menu. For a speed and fidelity boost. (assuming your video card can handle it. These days, it is pretty likely.)

- There is a sample mission in the folder to play with named Sample.ts. From within the program, just do a File->Open and locate that file.

Note that there are two styles of doors in the tileset. The sample shows both. One is a blue blobby rectangle like the kind you see in the mission book. The other style looks more like the actual door model. The hazard stripes are just to help you pick it out at a distance. The doors with X's through them are "jammed" a concept covered in one of the missions. There are also multiple styles of genestealer spawn points.

In addition to the game's built-in bits, the tileset includes parts for Air Ducts:

And tiles to cover the classic expansion bits.

Included are the regular "spacehulk3e.set" and "spacehulk3e_2sets.set" tilesets. Plus "spacehulk3e_basic.set" and "spacehulk3e_2sets_basic.set" tilesets. Which don't include the airducts and expansion tiles. These "basic" tilesets are usefulf for people who just use the materials that came with the game. Also, they load faster than the originals, since they are smaller.

There is a global flags button at the end of the toolbar. It will open a menu with the option to turn off "Glowing Jigsaw Edges". The jigsaw edges are useful for showing viewers which tiles are which. But some people find them too distracting. It will remember your choice between sessions.

Background and Border tile categories are locked by default. Which makes it easier to select tiles without accidentally grabbing the background instead. You can unlock them if you plan to play with the background, of course.

The Edit Scenario text button has been removed from the toolbar, since it wasn't a very good feature. But it is still in the program. You can find it under the edit menu, if you wish to use it.

If anyone is writing some handmade tile entries and want to know how the new features work, I could write up some documentation. The help file is horribly outdated.

You might note that there are token Space Marine, Genestealer and Scanner Blip tiles in the tileset.
    Perhaps, one day, there will be a full set of the tokens to work with.

----------------------------------------------
    How to make and publish a Space Hulk mission map:

- Design the map in Tilesystem.

- Chose "Publish to JPEG" from the File menu.

- Start a document in Microsoft Word, or any word processor.
    (http://www.openoffice.org/ has a good, free word processor)

- Insert the jpeg image into the document.

- Write some mission description stuff. Make it pretty.

- Keep refining the map and the document's description until you think it is ready to publish.

- Convert it to a PDF file. The easiest way to do this is to install something like this:
    http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp
    It creates a bogus printer that, if chosen, will generate a PDF file.

- Generate the PDF and then upload it to someplace on the series of tubes.

- Post links to it on Warseer.

I have noted on my machine that the latest ATI drivers, running on video chips built into motherboards, cause TileSystem to run very slowly if you have more than a dozen different tiles on the screen. I have no idea why, but I will try to debug it. On regualr video cards, it seems to be fine.

- CRasterImage
    Last edited by CRasterImage; 16-01-2010 at 16:53.

Re: Space Hulk 3E Tileset

http://members.cox.net/shawnriordan/tilesystem.htm

For anyone else who was wondering what the hell he was talking about

Won't GW hunt this down in no time?

Anyway, nice work so far, I'd be very interested in the final result.

Quote Originally Posted by Charax View Post
    For anyone else who was wondering what the hell he was talking about
    Oops. Ya. I guess I didn't consider links until it was ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Won't GW hunt this down in no time?
    Well, I hope not. There have been several space hulk mission editors over the years and they still live. If the problem is the scans, then I just hope the 128 dpi will satisfy GW that the images cannot be printed and used to generate homegrown tiles of competing quality to their cardboard.

I did a similar thing with "Doom: The Boardgame" and the FFG developer Kevin W. was delighted with the result. I hope GW has the same mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by CRasterImage View Post
    I did a similar thing with "Doom: The Boardgame" and the FFG developer Kevin W. was delighted with the result. I hope GW has the same mentality.
    The bad news are: they haven proven time and again, that they do not have that mentality.

But I do hope the best, and wish you luck for the whole project. Great efforts so far, and it will be handy indeed.

As long as no GW Iconography or IP protected work is used and you describe the tile set as being intended for a science fiction spaceship game as opposed to “Space Hulk” you should not be infringing on GW IP.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Chapter Master

Yeah, expect a takedown notice any second now.

GW hates it's fans doing anything with their IP, even if it's not-for-profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Severian View Post
    As long as no GW Iconography or IP protected work is used and you describe the tile set as being intended for a science fiction spaceship game as opposed to “Space Hulk” you should not be infringing on GW IP.
    Well, since he's scanned the *******' board they could make it a clear IP violation if they wanted to. But remember folks - it's distributing the material, not scanning it which is a violation. Or, well, that may well differ depending on where in the world you are. But posting pics of a scan you made yourself should not constitute a problem so don't bother listening to anyone trying to tell you so.

But a great idea and real helpful for folks who like this game. Hope you don't run into any trouble! If GW wanted to they could even use your work and make an app which would allow the same thing maybe?
    Plog of Jericho - Wood Elves, Daemons, Beastmen, CSM and Whatnot.

MD: You got a christmas gift?
    House: Yeah, 'cause I worship Santa. Or wait, is that Satan? I always get them mixed up.

Actually, duplicating or distributing the material is a violation.

GW is actually pretty open-minded about these things, but have to protect their most valuable asset: their IP. As long as you add all the appropriate disclaimers ("images are copyright Games Workshop Group PLC, used without permission") you will probably be OK.

R.

Chapter Master

Yupp, copyright disclaimers are a good thing as its the first thing that makes companies angry when missing. Else so are GW not likely to bother unless they have plans to release their own editor, then they dont want competition, even if their own would also be free. But they have said that they dont plan to support the game, so they may have plans for a more hands off approach and thus might actualy encurage fan made stuff this time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    They don't die! They are just sleeping! And carried away in sleeping bags!

I say release and be damned. This is the internet, once you put it on Mediafire, any action GW take will be a case of sealing the livestock storage building after the equine has vacated. any action GW take will, at best,do nothing and at worst it'll trigget the streisand effect and increase distribution.

Brother Sergeant

Now that is impressive!

Hmm, this looks very very good. Cant wait for it to be finished.

Chapter Master

Yup, hurry up!
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    They don't die! They are just sleeping! And carried away in sleeping bags!

Looks great.

Have fun,

Rolf.
    Support WarSeer's future by becoming a Guilder. Thanks.
    Problems to get your minis painted? Maybe you should visit the WarSeer Painting Support Group.
    The goal of Computer Engineering is to build something that will last at least until we've finished building it.
    Models completed in 2014: 12 (2013: 34, 2012: 30, 2011: 95, 2010: 18, 2009: 54, 2008: 54)

Ok, it is done. I think...

I updated the original post to keep linkages findable.

Let me know if any link is broken or something is bork'd.

Fantastic work! this'll make making maps for Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader much easier

Thanks alot! That is really a nice tool. I see lots of nice mission coming up.

Have fun,

Rolf.
    Support WarSeer's future by becoming a Guilder. Thanks.
    Problems to get your minis painted? Maybe you should visit the WarSeer Painting Support Group.
    The goal of Computer Engineering is to build something that will last at least until we've finished building it.
    Models completed in 2014: 12 (2013: 34, 2012: 30, 2011: 95, 2010: 18, 2009: 54, 2008: 54)

Great job, I will get a lot of use out of this.

Might have to grab that, I think - looks like an interesting program. I wonder if anyone's done scans of Rackham's tiles?

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast