Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Space Hulk 3E Tileset

Re: Space Hulk 3E Tileset

Quote Originally Posted by Apologist View Post
    Just wanted to post my thanks for this I've just finished a Deathwing campaign pack based on the short story, and this program made making the maps a joy!

Now to start sourcing artwork for the Ultramarines' defence of Macragge...
    Deathwing campaign sounds interesting. Are you going to post the campaign here (*please*)?

@CRasterImage:

You've done a great job. Sadly, I wasn't able to follow the whole development of the tiles set. I downloaded one of the first versions, but now there are a lot more tiles.

Are you planning to make multiple Download-sets? i.e.

1. Set: Normal 3rd edition Space Hulk tiles
    2. Set: Normal 3rd edition Space Hulk tiles + custom tiles and/or tiles from older versions
    3. Set: 3rd edition Space Hulk tiles X2 ( for those who bought more than one SH Box )
    4. Set: 3rd edition Space Hulk tiles X2 + custom tiles and/or tiles from older versions

That would be really great, because it would be a lot more comfortable. ( + I'm really a dumbass when having to change something In files, although it is discribed very well )

Deathwing campaign sounds interesting. Are you going to post the campaign here (*please*)?
    I'm afraid that I can't post it publicly, as it's full of copyrighted images.
    However, I am working on getting the artwork replaced, so keep an eye out.

The defense of Macragge sounds interesting. What exactly are you envisioning?
    Much like the Deathwing campaign, it'll be a series of linked missions led by a custom force of Ultramarines. There won't be any new rules per se; just an adaptation of Space Hulk, presented in a good-looking way.
    Imperium Secundus
    Rebuilding painting blogs

Industrious, bionically-enhanced member of the Plastic Crack Rehab Clinic

Quote Originally Posted by - Deathwing - View Post
    Are you planning to make multiple Download-sets?
    Perhaps. It can get a bit more complicated than that.

There are several independent factors:

- With or without expansion tiles.
    - With or without 2 sets.
    - With or without glowing jigsaw edges.
    - With or without airducts.

Those 4 options result in 16 variations.

If I can think of a simple way to do this, then I am all for it.

I could just put everything (including the MFC dlls) into a single gigantic download and then supply 16 different tileset files to pick from.

Where the filename could indicate the version you want.

For example

SpaceHulk3E_exp_air_2x_glow.set

would indicate that you want the expansion tiles, the airduct tiles, the 2 set configuration, all with glowing edges.

SpaceHulk3E_exp_2x.set

would indicate that you DO want the expansion tiles, DONT want the airduct tiles, DO want the 2 set configuration, and DONT want glowing edges.

SpaceHulk3E_.set

would indicate the bare-bones set and DONT want glowing edges.

I will have to think about it some more.

Chapter Master

That sounds pretty doable. Idealy so would it be nice to be able to do the selection inside the program, but that would add extra work. Maybe an external setup program with the diffrent options that then generate the correct set file. Either way so do I think its important that any extra work like that is made when you are pretty sure there wont be much added in the form of custom tiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    They don't die! They are just sleeping! And carried away in sleeping bags!

personally, I'd stick to two sets - one with glowing edges, one without, both for single set missions. It's easy to work to two sets from one - just keep adding bits until the circle appears - as long as you don't re-select a circle bit, you're good for two sets.

As for expansion tiles and air ducts, add them in. If someone doesn't want them, then just don't use them.

Easy enough for anyone to manage, lods less work and hasstle for you.

I'm afraid that I can't post it publicly, as it's full of copyrighted images.
    However, I am working on getting the artwork replaced, so keep an eye out.
    I will, be sure of that.

Much like the Deathwing campaign, it'll be a series of linked missions led by a custom force of Ultramarines. There won't be any new rules per se; just an adaptation of Space Hulk, presented in a good-looking way.
    Wasn't one of the final battles in the catacombs of Macragge? That would be a nice setting, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by CRasterImage View Post
    Perhaps. It can get a bit more complicated than that.

There are several independent factors:

- With or without expansion tiles.
    - With or without 2 sets.
    - With or without glowing jigsaw edges.
    - With or without airducts.

Those 4 options result in 16 variations.

If I can think of a simple way to do this, then I am all for it.
    Wow, didn't think of that.

Actually I think everone could live with glowing edges. The airducts could be added. As nedius said, if you don't want them, don't use them.

Same would be for other expansion tiles. I don't know how much work that would be, but when starting the program, on the left side there are the different things to choose ( rooms, markers, and so on ). What about adding some points to that ( i.e. SH 1st Edition tiles, custom addons ).

Anyway, I think it would be really great if you would do multiple downloads.

I don't know if anyone thought about it, but what about the board sections of Space Crusade? Could they be used as vast rooms or maybe even as they are ( some rooms with corridors )? Okay, the squares are smaller, but I guess when taking 4 squares of a SC board it should be about the size of one SH square.

No, Space Crusade board squares are 25mm, not 15.

They won't work together, due to the way TileSet snaps pieces to the grid. By default, the Space Hulk tiles are 30mm, 128 pixels to a square. They align to a grid 64 pixels wide. At the same resolution, the Space Crusade tiles would be 107 pixels to a square, and thus wouldn't align.

I suppose you could make them 'free-floating', and do it that way, but it would be rather annoying. You'd also need to make up some sort of joining pice to connect the Space Hulk and Space Crusade boards.

Chapter Master

You could manage to use Space Crusade boards by rescaling and changing the connection to fit with Space Hulk. This would obviously need to be done for the real boards as well as for the program. If anyone is up for it so doesnt it sound like such a bad idea

A reskin of the Advanced Space Crusade boards would be a good addition they're already compatible with the Space Hulk sections.

Of course, it's a lot of work for little reward beyond not having to look at the headache-inducing colours of the originals!
    Imperium Secundus

Veteran Sergeant

A reskin of the Advanced Space Crusade boards would be a good addition they're already compatible with the Space Hulk sections.
    Seconded!

Frederich

there are soem great textures out there you could use...

But... Do you just put a grid over it, or make some kind of chitin plate for each 'square'?

I thought I would make an update to let you guys know what I am doing at the moment.

I have added a piece of functionality to the program that allows a single tile to be composed of a series of images, rather than just one image. Images can be drawn behind the main image as well as in front.

Also, there can be controls that can trigger whether or not an image is drawn or not.

One such trigger is an entry in a global flags table.
    Using this feature, i was able to combine the "regular" map tiles with the "glowing edges" tiles. So now, there is just a single tileset instead of two. The player can control whether or not the glowing edges are shown by altering the global flag table. Which, currently, just has the one entry:

Another trigger is a flags table local to the tile. Allowing the tile to have states. I have been going through and adding "flamed section" states to each map tile. You can access the local flags table with the right mouse button: (assuming you just click, rather than drag to rotate the tile)

The local flags table could also be used, for space marines, to depict states like overwatch, jammed and out of ammo.

Another trigger is whether or not the tile is selected. Using this trigger, I was able to show selection on the space marine and blip with a green halo effect I have been playing with, rather than the ususal brightening effect:

Also, when I release this next, I hope to have space marine and genestealer figures for us to play with. In either case, Everything will be bundled in a single zip file for download. No more bits and pieces. If you don't want to use the airducts or expansion bits, there is a special tileset file called "SpaceHulk3E_basic.set". It doesn't load those extra bits. So it is useful for most people who just play with the stuff that came out of the box. Also, it loads twice as fast.

Is there a way to have the colour of the glow effect editable?

In addition, could you add another per-section flag - 'tint' or similar. I'm thinking of the Doom tileset, and how each area of the map has it's own tint. This way, you could have that tint as a separate local flag, rather than having to adjust the colour levels of each tile manually.

Fantastic and well-executed additions, CRI this'll let people post up turn-by-turn battle reports.

A hearty thanks from the PCRC and myself for this fantastic program!
    Imperium Secundus

Chapter Master

We could even do play by mail/forum games

Excellent stuff! Top notch work!

Quote Originally Posted by Znail View Post
    We could even do play by mail/forum games
    Hey, that'd be awesome particularly with a third party for dice rolls, so you can just concentrate on what's happening!
    Imperium Secundus

Hmm I would be happy to run that maybe... Using the missons from the book maybe? How many marines per person?
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
    Hey thats not fair, in my part of East Anglia we atleast get stabbings and rapes now.
    Quote Originally Posted by veryberry View Post
    I work with a load of women now and they pretty much all know about what i get up to as a hobby and occasionally tease me about being geeky but then I just tease them about their inability to keep a man!
    Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster24 View Post
    Sorry Israel. No tits, no vote.

Chapter Master

Hey, that'd be awesome – particularly with a third party for dice rolls, so you can just concentrate on what's happening!
    Yupp, a moderator can keep track of everything and inform the relevant players of secrets like blips and command point draws. The status file/picture can probobly be updated by anyone involved. Only problem is that any game is likely to produce quite alot of pictures. Is it fine to something like that around here? [edit]Board Game Geek has a forum part for play by forum games in their Space Hulk section incase this forum is less happy about picture heavy threads.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperTheGhost View Post
    Hmm I would be happy to run that maybe... Using the missons from the book maybe? How many marines per person?
    Hmm, more people is probobly more fun but it makes for more people that needs to check in for the game to progress. Althou some experience from other forum games so can you leave conditional orders for your turn to speed things up if you are away. On the other hand so are the marines turn simultaneous or atleast up to the marines wich ones go first so everyone can just post what they do at the same time. Just need to clarify if you want your turn before or after someone else incase a marine needs to move out of the way first. The order of marine activation simply needs to be clear so it can even be decided by one of the players.

Well, when I think about it so does it seem pretty doable to just pick a time during the day when marine orders are executed and players need to have posted what they want to do before that with any conditional orders for what may happen. Then marines can coordinate and edit their orders until that time.

After that so will the mod execute the marines turn and roll any dice needed.

Then its the genestealers turn and this gets a bit trickier. The genestealer player is very dependant on overwatch results so either needs to use complext conditional orders or vigilant updates on the forum while the mod rolls the dice. I guess its possible to use a team for the genestealers too, but its probobly better to keep it simple so that the genestealer turn is done asap. It shouldnt be too difficult to clear the genestealer turn away in time so that there is time enuff for the marines.

Hmm, 1 turn a day sounds like pretty quick games by forum standards. Can probobly be done quicker if there are less people involved too. But its easier when more people is involved to have clear rules for how often they need to check in.

Oh, command points is tricky! Both during the marines turn and as interupt. I guess someone will be in charge of them
    Last edited by Znail; 22-10-2009 at 17:23.

Picture count could be controlled by something as simple as editing the maps as you go along do that each update means the map has changed with all the relevant movements, although that won't allow people to look back into what has happenend.

As for genestealers I would assume that it would be best if they were controlled by the same person rolling the dice i.e. the GM of the game. Otherwise it wouldn't really work over the internet. Of course that would mean having to count on the GM being trustworthy but thats not much of an issue.

Command Points are the tricky one though...
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
    Hey thats not fair, in my part of East Anglia we atleast get stabbings and rapes now.
    Quote Originally Posted by veryberry View Post
    I work with a load of women now and they pretty much all know about what i get up to as a hobby and occasionally tease me about being geeky but then I just tease them about their inability to keep a man!
    Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster24 View Post
    Sorry Israel. No tits, no vote.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast