Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain Brown builds the Flower Class Corvette HMCS CHILLIWACK (What did he say?!)

Re: Captain Brown builds the Flower Class Corvette HMCS CHILLIWACK (What did he say?!

So continuing with my plan to try and get the superstructure built to a point I could see it with the short focsle.

Wheelhouse

I still have not added the window frames, hence the rough appearance of the windows (I used 0.020 thickness styrene due to the requirement to cut out the windows)

Assembling the wheelhouse

Had a little trouble with the sizes, I probably should have tried to square the edges better as it seemed I had some extra structure by the time I finished.

Cheers,

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 16:14.

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

Re: Captain Brown builds the Flower Class Corvette HMCS CHILLIWACK (What did he say?!

Excellent progress Captain Brown, your skills with plasticard are very impressive.
    Veteran of the Psychic Wars

What has he got a tea cosy on his head for?

TOHC

Banned

You've given me a very shakey hand, sir! Nice, nice, nice, nice, NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been eyeing that kit up for a project one day so will be reading this with interest. The Flower corvettes have such an interesting history, i can't imagine the hardship of having to be in the middle of a stormy north atlantic in one of these little ships but they really were the difference between success and failure in the battle of the atlantic. The played a very significant part in enabling britain to stay in the war.

loving the conversion work so far.

Thanks for the comments,

So did some more work on the compass house (which sits above the wheelhouse from my last post) and here is my dry fit stage:

She is now starting to resemble an early Corvette.

Here you can just see the bulkheads under the focsle.

A look from aft, here you can see all the cutting and smoothing I need to do at the stern (need to get rid of that ugly rise in the plastic from my stretching it out).

Next I have to work on the atrociously large extraneous keel and massively thick stem…neither of which the Corvettes had… not to mention those excessively long and thick bilge keels…they are also going. So I am charging up the Mini-Dremel.

The long painting war continues...

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 16:16.

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG

Excellent work! However, you are remiss in your reading material! I do not see The Cruel Sea!

Quote Originally Posted by Killshot View Post
    Excellent work! However, you are remiss in your reading material! I do not see The Cruel Sea!
    Ha-ha, yes it was a good read, but not that filled with technical details...and the movie actually used a Corvette with an extended focsle.

So I took the hull and started to sand down the excess keel, as well as the mountings for the extremely large and long bilge rails.

I used a combination of the Mini-Dremel, craft knife and files. Keel was relatively easy; just use the sanding attachment and high speed to eat away at the excess plastic. A little more care was exercised as I got down to the base and I ran the blade of the craft knife along the keel remnants to make it nice and smooth, as well as round off what was left.

I used the cone sanding attachment on the bilge rail mountings, as I wanted to be careful and not to scar the hull too badly if at all. I used some styrene L bracket strips to make proper bilge rails of just under a foot in scale width.

I also had to cut out some more scuppers…and fill in one of the aft most scuppers and one fairlead (as the kit being the British design had one more added with the extending of the focsle and the Canadian design had only one fairlead hole aft vice two modelled in the kit).
    Here are the three new scuppers:

At the same time I flattened that rise in the stern bulwarks created when I stretched out and flattened the stern. The flaps for the depth charge holes almost fit perfectly into the gaps so I will be gluing them in and sanding them down…as they are presently on an angle due to the plastic bending for the additional styrene. Once this is all ship shape I will add some styrene strips to recreate the lip of the top of the transom and later cut out three holes for the depth charge rails and the fairlead for the minesweeping gear.

Cheers,

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 16:18.

For the bow and the ridiculously wide stem I actually used the sanding attachment on an angle and tried to marry it to the hull form, basically extending forward a few millimetres…I did this because the actual stem of the Corvette was a single piece of steel and not a great flat thick slap as featured in the kit by the fusing to the two sides of the hull.
    This is a photo from someone else building a corvette, to give you an idea of the size of the stem and keel...

Now what I did with the Dremel.

Now for the stem itself I cut a piece of styrene (0.020 square strip) to make the actual stem for the Corvette’s most deadly weapon…the ram. Sad as it seems today, despite depth charges, a 4 inch World Ward One deck gun, a 2 pounder anti-aircraft weapon and a pair of Lewis or 50 Calibre Water-cooled Machine Guns…the most effective way for a Corvette to dispatch a U-Boat was to ram her and cut through the submarine’s pressure hull with her bow. Corvette’s were especially adapt at this, as they did not ride so high as Destroyers (because of their low speed) and thus could usually ram a sub several times without doing extensive or critical damage to themselves.
    Deadly weapon:

Cheers,

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 10-10-2017 at 22:51.

Interesting read mate, the deatil and mods are impressive and well done. And the little snippets of history about a subject you are obviously enarmoured with is great to see.

Keep it up

Cheers

Sheep
    Sheep's laying a log For all things Imperial
    The Ammobunker Forums with humour
    Sheep's Sons of Horus For all things 30k
    Sheep does Adeptus Mechanicus Latest project

Forlorn Hope, my blog

Very, very nice. Looking forward to seeing this to completion!

Thanks guys,

Some more updates: The non-watertight doors.

The non-watertight doors are made from 0.020 thickness Styrene with 0.020 square strip styrene for the central support and 0.020 by 0.010 strips for the frame and cross-pieces. A little square of 0.020 thickness for the door handle lock and the end of one of the rather useless plastic stanchions makes a nice handle.

So the Chopper II was really useful again and I started by making my doors, after getting the measurements I found the doors to be extremely narrow…so narrow that I cheated and increased the thickness by 1 mm to make them look more realistic at this scale (a little artistic licence). Then I sat down and made them in assembly line fashion. After an hour 8 non-watertight doors were sitting complete before me and I was feeling quite proud of myself…I had finished enough for the model and a few extras in case of problems and cleaned up…

Styrene frames:

Handle construction:

Finished:

Later when I was looking at the model I noticed there are a few more doors than I thought in the bulkheads under the focsle. I need eight just for that, so it looks like I will have to pull out the Chopper II and make some more.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 16:22.

Finished another five non-watertight doors, that should be enough for my build, ironically I finally tracked down where the other two doors are located, there were two leading to the RCN galley and another two inside the alcove recesses. Which leaves me with one extra in case of problems or someone finds anther spot for them.

Next up is the watertight doors. I have made mine from a base of 0.010 thickness styrene cut 11 mm by 24 mm on top of this is a piece of 0.020 thickness styrene 9 mm by 22 mm so that there is a nice 1 mm gap all the way around.

Rather unimpressive styrene pieces:

Edges are trimmed at a 45 degree angle and then filed to make a rounded corner. Hinges were made with left over stanchion pieces and they were placed 4.5 mm from the top and bottom. Hinges were made with some 0.010 by 0.020 strips of styrene. Handles were made the same way I made them for the Engine Room Skylight, bending staples for the wire portion. I used the same staples for the dogs for the watertight handles, because they have the curve already there. Trimming them down to size and attaching them with 5 minute epoxy (I tried superglue first, but my applicator really sucked as it was one of those push end variety tubes).

Finished Product:

I need three for the end of the Engine Room Casing and two for the Focsle.

Here they are getting added to the Engine Room Casing.
    Starboard side:

Port Side:

The long painting war continues,

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 16:33.

The detail on this is fabulous, it's already looking real.

Some of the conversion work you're doing here is amazing, Captain B... I'd alwas thought of using a Dremel on some major plastic works (I'm thinking my commissioned Ork Wagon) but was scared as I thought it would be too vicious, and melt the plastic. Does the mini dremel you use have variable speed, or is it slower than a regular one, or am I just a klutz?

Also, rereading your 1st post, I realised that there is another reason why I love this log. My Grandad was in the British Navy, and worked on the Atlantic convoys from 1941 - 1943... We just got back from our hols, which included a sobering trip to Scapa Flow...

Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by colhodg View Post
    The detail on this is fabulous, it's already looking real.
    Thank you, this is why painting logs are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Crube View Post
    Some of the conversion work you're doing here is amazing, Captain B... I'd alwas thought of using a Dremel on some major plastic works (I'm thinking my commissioned Ork Wagon) but was scared as I thought it would be too vicious, and melt the plastic. Does the mini dremel you use have variable speed, or is it slower than a regular one, or am I just a klutz?
    The Mini-Dremel has two speeds, slow and fast, I use both. It can melt the plastic, so I tend to grind off some in an area and move to another to let the first cool. I always wear protective glasses, ear plugs and gloves...in case any splinters come off as I am cutting/sanding. Because the Mini-Dremel is cordless and fairly small and light it is pretty easy to control. I also switch to files and sanding blocks for my final sanding.

Speaking of the conversion work of watertight and non-watertight doors, here is the bulkhead under the focsle facing the well deck. Eight non-watertight and two watertight doors (there actually is a ninth non-watertight door that accesses the companionway, but since it faces inwards and won’t be visible once the deck is fitted I am leaving it off.

The large number of non-watertight doors on the port side led to the heads (toilets)...which had a direct standpipe to the sea and meant that using them in any sort of sea was very, very, very tricky. A good wave on the bow and you got salt water shooting up...well I will leave it at that.

Next up, was the bulwark railing, the kit has a very nice top to the bulwarks back aft, but since I cut my hull to create the short focsle I am left with a rather narrow and rough bulwark. So I sanded down the inside to remove the now visible part numbers, then I attached a strip of 0.010 by 0.125 styrene to each side, then a bracket of styrene was added underneath. This effectively made me a common rail.

Another issue I had was my cut was a little two deep at the rising of the bulwarks to meet the focsle. I followed the template from the drawings Bob Pearson sent me, but I noticed after I had cut that CHILLIWACK and her sisters from the West Coast had a more gradual rise…*nuts*…so some two part epoxy putty was necessary to rebuild the missing section.

In this picture you can see the doorways under the focsle deck with the template from Bob Pearson still attached before I added the non-watertight and watertight doors.

The whole hull with primer coat:

The long painting war continues…

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 16:35.

this is turning into a very nice rendition of this cool corvette, I myself am building revells 1/72 uboat atm but I have floundered in my references so construction has ground to a halt. Still its insightful to see such modelling skill on a project like this. keep up the good work!
    Skaven project log:
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231055

"Impossible? Hold my beer and watch this!"

Thanks nanktank,

You could always dust off the U-Boat and start a log here, our historical section is a little small.

Some more progress.

I started working on the engine room casing aft, as you see above the watertight doors are now on and I fixed up my skylight with two mushroom vents and an edging of 0.015 by 0.060 strips of styrene down the sides.

Then I started on the two ammunition lockers located at the after end of the engine casing deck on RCN corvettes. I added some plastic parts from other kits to try and recreate the butterfly clips, not sure I like them, but it is better than what I started with.

Anyone with ideas on how to make better 1/72 scale butterfly clips please let me know.

So with the four shorter ventilators and a cleaning gear locker I placed them on the casing to see how it fits together.

Then I started on the boat deck with this mock-up. You can see the sanding marks where I removed some of the raised detail on the funnel deck base (I also had to build the front bulkhead as the kit was a later RN corvette with the galley moved forward and raised directly in front of the funnel deck).

The non-watertight doors hanging in the air are to the galley which in RCN corvettes was directly behind the bridge, superior to RN corvettes in that you did not have to walk the length of the deck to get your food, you still had to walk down the steps and across the well deck to your mess…which meant your food was just cold and slightly wet when it got to the mess instead of cold and very wet in the RN corvettes, where the galley was right aft.

I also made sliding doors for the wheelhouse; this was with some angle bracket styrene.

Still need to clean up the window frames for the addition of 'glass'.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 16:38.

And a little more progress, still doing small bits at one time, mainly because I have to clear my construction area after every session.

Here are the 4 large ventilators getting new reinforcing bands (removed the raised plastic kit portion, which was out of scale with a dremel). Top bands are 0.015 by 0.125 with a 0.010 by 0.080 on top. The base band was a 0.015 by 0.060 strip.

Next I will use the brown plastic rods that the kit supplied for railings to make the controlling gear (for turning the ventilators into and out of the wind...or sea in the case of Corvettes crossing the Atlantic)...not sure if I want to go all the way and make a notched top band.

I also glued in the scuttles with epoxy (I did this to prevent plastic cement distorting the clear plastic) and placed electricians tape behind them to help keep them fixed. Then I added the forward deck of the focsle and added some 0.010 thickness styrene rolled and pushed through the deck to make hawsepipes. Right now they looked like my Corvette has tissue up it's 'nose'.

The long painting and converting war continues...

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 16:39.

Excellent log, I have been an avid reader for some time now. I am not massively into historical modelling but just the sheer amount of work that goes into accurizing kits is very interesting.

Thanks the_raptor, I have discovered that historical modelling requires a little more attention to detail and old photographs.

More progress...

So next up was the funnel, the kit version is a really plain tube with a rounded band about four fifths up the stack…the instructions suggest you drill four holes through it and tie the supporting stays through the holes and there are a few plastic pieces to add to represent steam pipes, whistle, etc. But that is it, while the pictures of the funnels show some fairly prominent riveting, so I had to do better.

Original Funnel:

Following some more Bob Pearson advice, I sanded off the rounded band, then using a sheet of thin (0.010 thickness) styrene I used my $1 thread punch to make rivet marks…it actually took two tries as you cannot let your punch wander…so a metal ruler is a must. My riveted band was even more problematic as it was so thin and narrow, it took five tries and a whole lot of wasted styrene.

After gluing the patterned covering over the funnel I added a (0.010 x 0.080 thickness) strip of styrene with a rivet pattern to make the band. This was glued at the same level as the original (now removed) band and then I drilled eight small holes in vertical pairs at virtual right angles to each other in the band. Brass rod of a very thin diameter was cut and bent into shape and glued with superglue into the hole for the rings to attach the supporting stays.

Raising the funnel cap. I glued one of my failed rivet marked bands inside the funnel to raise the cap slightly off the stack. I also drilled a hole in the centre of the supporting braces on the top…same as I have seen in photographs.

Inside band for the funnel cap:

Finished Funnel:

The long painting and converting war continues...

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 16:55.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast