Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain Brown builds the Flower Class Corvette HMCS CHILLIWACK (What did he say?!)

Re: Captain Brown builds the Flower Class Corvette HMCS CHILLIWACK (What did he say?!

awesome attention to detail...

Re: Captain Brown builds the Flower Class Corvette HMCS CHILLIWACK (What did he say?!

Thank you sir,

The 4-Inch gun mounted on the forward bandstand. The BL (breach loading) 4 inch Mk IX naval gun mounted on the Flower Class Corvettes was a World War I weapon left over in storage, and thus available in the first days of rapid rearmament.

The RCN corvettes had square or round gun shields (predominantly fitted with round gun shields according to photographic evidence)…it seems that those outfitted by the RN had mostly square gun shields…as did the ten corvettes built for the British by the Canadians. Fortunately the kit comes with both versions…unfortunately the gun is built to the same standard as the rest of the kit fittings, a sort of approximation. CHILLIWACK had a round shield through her entire career.

Original Parts:

So I started off by taking the shield and sanding down the ends of the two pieces that would be exposed to a viewer (lots of folks have suggested cutting entirely new gun shields but I have decided to try and salvage as much as I can), these are the port and starboard sides of the shield.

Then I cut holes for the targeting sites in the front of the shield.

Shield assembled:

Then I took the barrel and breech assembly and cut off the extremely large cap/muzzle, the toy like angle adjustment.

Since the kit mount bears no resemblance to the original I am taking one of the Oerlikon mounts (as the bridge mounted weapons of this period were either paired Lewis Guns or .50 cal machine guns). I cut a hole in the back and built some elevating gear to fit in the gap. I also glued a short strip of 0.020 thickness styrene a couple of mm high to widen the base.

Side note: I notice most folks who come aboard for tours of warships want to look at ship’s weapons and usually the deck gun is number one on the request list.

The long painting war continues,

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 17:31.

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Selling OOP GW Books and Games - Interested in buying oop metal Eldar

4 Inch gun continued...

Added some details to the gun itself, using the drawings from my books and some photos to make the details on the barrel.

Some angle brackets on the inside of the shield and some large nuts made by cutting up some styrene tubing and I have a basic weapon and shield.

Still need work on the inside.
    Side view:

The long painting and converting war continues...

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 17:32.

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG - Alaitoc Eldar PLOG

This is an amazing log. I love looking at all these little details and watching them all come together for a amazing final product. Can't wait for more updates .

Very nice to see some naval stuff on here! Plenty of attention to detail, and an interesting subject. Keep up the great work!

Thanks guys,

Another update...

4 Inch continued:

So I have added some rivets to the gun shield and I am not really happy with them, a little too large and distinct.

What do you think? (Since were taken I have tried sanding down the rivets some more)

I think the that I will just sand them off and forget trying to do the rivets, as looking at photographs they are not that distinct.

Aft Bandstand update:

I also noticed in several pictures and the scale drawings I am borrowing that the aft bandstand has a square shield added for access on the middle of the port side vice the cut in the shield and ladder on the starboard side forward that SNOWBERRY and the RN built flowers possessed.

So some 0.020 styrene sheet was cut out and three sides of the square were glued together, then I used 0.020 square styrene to make the lip; over lapping the ends to help the join and then reversing the overlap for the second set to create a lock. I also left some overlap on the open end which I would marry up to the round shield once I had cut the access point.

Then a cut in the side and I married up the ends of my square shield to the lip I had built to the round one.

That should be it, until I add the anti-aircraft weapon…I am still leaning towards doing the late 42 and early 43 version of CHILLIWACK who at that point had a 2-punder Pom-pom added, the mid 42 version had a 20 mm in the Aft bandstand.

The long painting and converting war continues…

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 17:35.

This is a really cool build and very enjoyable to watch!

Could you throw in a "Barry" with the entire model just to get a proper idea of the scale on your next update?

R
    I'm on Facebook and I've got a blog as bigbossredskullz.

Team Anarchy, a norwegian gaming community.

Amazing work, Cap'n B. I look forward to the engine room (I assume your attention to detail means it will be fully operational? ).
    Like slack-jawed never Gnyaarg. Some then folks'll folks'll skunk, some. the but, again yokel eat a Cletus.
    | Project log |
    McMullet's avatar has poorly hands and so few postings will be written and they may be a little terse.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Skullz View Post
    This is a really cool build and very enjoyable to watch!

Could you throw in a "Barry" with the entire model just to get a proper idea of the scale on your next update?

R
    That will be tough as I have to set up each time to do any modeling and then clean-up when I finish. I will try for a 'done so far mock-up' on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by McMullet View Post
    Amazing work, Cap'n B. I look forward to the engine room (I assume your attention to detail means it will be fully operational?
    Sorry, for a wardroom display case so no water will touch the model and no engine will be added.

So next up on my project list was the minesweeping winch, I figured since it was a really ambitious component I would try to get it done sooner rather than later. With the constant clean-up required after each build period I am slowly seeing some progress, but I really want to get to the painting stage sooner rather than later.

I again used Bob Pearson’s great site for a guide.

After reading through his guide I deviated almost immediately, I started with 0.040 thickness styrene to build the steel plate base and a second sheet for the wooden mat it sits on. This gave me a nice lip all the way around as the real set would have looked.

Then out of 0.040 styrene I cut out four struts using the drawings from AOTS converted to 7/72 scale (this proved to be really, really time consuming and next time I try this I will just cut the struts separately and glue them together rather than trying to make each one a single piece, especially with the cuts in the middle.

Then I added three strips of the kit provided piping for railings to act as the guide wires, Bob used brass wire, I used the kit plastic to try and maximise the amount of kit materials used in the model, since the guide wires were thicker than the minesweeping wire I am content with my plastic ones, they also glue down with plastic cement rather than epoxy.

Next was the spools, here I used 0.040 thickness for the gears and 0.020 thickness for the spool sides and plastic tubing for the centers. The axle was made from some round sprue sanded down. I added 0.010 by 0.020 strips for struts on the large gears and 0.010 by 0.060 strips to make a nice smooth outer edge.

Next was adding the small gears that run of the winch engine and the embossing of geared teeth on the wheels themselves. This proved to be very, very messy…I think it is the krazy glue coupled with the size of the parts…more ended on my hands than on the wheels.

Two ˝ inch wooden furniture plugs provided the warping drums; the two I have attached are only temporary as I add some 0.020 by 0.020 strips to make a rim and braces for the ends. I used my Mini-Dremel to sand out the sides to make the proper curve.

Next up I have to build the pistons and engine to power the gears, this sits on the empty portion of the base. Then some guides for the guide wires and some breaks…I have been trying to think of how I could get/make some of the round handles when I though that I might be able to find some small rings at a bead shop, then I can add some styrene spokes with epoxy…look for an update next week for how that works.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 17:38.

Very nice work. This kit reminds me of the big Blue Devil Destroyer kit I made years ago.
    Great detail. Did you mention how long it will be when it is done?
    Save the Earth: It's the only planet with chocolate.
    My Project Logs:
    Tommygun's Backwater Forgeworld: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126270
    Tommygun's Xenotechnology: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244950
    Tommygun does what with paper?: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226343
    Tommygun Ironworks http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304880
    New Paper web site: http://www.modelpaperworld.com/en/

Just keeps getting better and better!

It's really fascinating to watch this progress and come together.
    Corpse on wings! - Undead Warpfire Dragon Blog

Thanks guys, I have been writing a staff paper so I have not done that much more. So I only got a little bit done on the 4-Inch, mainly the elevation wheel and some more detail on the base.

The elevation wheel was a stop gap one made with plastic; I picked up some small rings from the bead store and will be making them into handles over the next few days. I will also be sanding down the gun shield.

As requested a mock-up so far:

The long painting and converting war continues,

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 18:10.

Some more progress…

Remember I was lamenting my lack of hand cranks for elevation on the 4-Inch and the Minesweeping winch? Well I went to a bead store and purchased several small metal rings. Then I cut some styrene piping (smallest diameter I could find in a mixed assortment from Evergreen) to fit inside the ring and filed a notch in the middle. Then I repeated the process and glued the notched sides together making a cross. Then some 5-minute epoxy to get the plastic to adhere to the metal.

They are so small my camera has trouble focusing.

Then I built my breaks for the minesweeping winch. 0.015 by 0.060 styrene stripes were cut and then glued together at an angle, these were married together with some of the brown plastic piping provided in the kit for railings.

What is not in that picture are the small discs cut from the brown piping to fit at the bend in the break support and one at the short end (the break pipe attaches at the top of the long arm and connects to the pressure bands on the drum). I may add a pair to the bottom of the break support to the bottom of the drum…but we will have to see if I have room when the thread is added.

Meanwhile I built three styrene staffs, with another little pit of brown piping to serve as the pivot upon with the break support sits. In this photo you can also see the steam motor which ran the gears to provide power to the engaged drums (I made it from some tank treads cut down, brown piping, two kit stanchions, some round sprue from the kit and lots of left over styrene – failed parts/shavings).

Next stage with breaks added, the turning handles, etc.

More to follow as next I have to tackle that worry of mine, the minesweeping floats…

The long painting and converting war continues,

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 18:12.

Now that the winch is nearing completion I tackled the item that has had been worried from the start and that is the minesweeping floats (dolphins). In the end I decided to make them from scratch as buying an aircraft kit to cut off some tanks was not in the cards and my searches for spare fuel tanks also came up empty.

I purchased a bag of wooden furniture plugs (each plug is about two inches long) of the right diameter for the widest portion of the dolphin. An old Ikea plug cut in half would provide the tail. I drilled a hole in each for some piano wire to give the join strength and then secured them together with some 5 minute epoxy.

Next came the Mini-Dremel and I sanded down the wooden plugs to a general dolphin shape.

Then some two part epoxy putty to fill in the gaps (thread marks in the plugs).

This will be followed by some car primer to help smooth it out and more sanding.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 18:13.

Minesweeping floats. I sprayed them with some grey automotive primer, and while I was letting that dry I started some work on the racks they would sit on.

First I built a simple frame out of angle bracket styrene and then some 0.015 by 0.125 styrene for the ends:

Then I sanded the now dry floats one more time to smooth out the raised areas left by epoxy putty. I followed this with some 0.020 styrene to make the tail and stabilizers (securing them with superglue - a little 0.020 by 0.020 stipes added some strength to the vertical fin glued to the end of the float), and then some 0.010 by 0.060 stripes to build the brackets. A quick trim of the flat styrene at each end and I have two minesweeping floats.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 18:14.

In the navy / Yes, you can sail the seven seas / In the navy ... In the navy / Come on, protect the motherland / In the navy ...

Great stuff Captain B! I'm not much for historicals but the detail work you are putting in really is impressive.

Thanks de Selby,

So I have built a minesweeping winch and a pair of minesweeping floats, up next was the two davits used to launch and recover the floats (and hoist in depth charges for the aft depth charge rails).

For a base I pulled out the two bases for the Oerlikons, I added some thicker styrene rod from the mixed bag and cut out discs of smaller tubes to fill the top. Then I drilled two holes, one on each side for the turning hand cranks.

The arms of the davits I built from 0.020 thickness styrene cut from the plans in John McKay & John Harland's Anatomy of the Ship - The Flower Class Corvette AGASSIZ, the davits are basically two identical halves (arms) surrounding the blocks. I purchased a mixed bag of round styrene tubes from Evergreen and it has been extremely useful and I cut out discs to represent the wheels for the davits (large ones for the end and smaller ones down the middle. Then a bit of plastic rod at the bottom to allow the davits to swing freely until I decide on which angle to glue them.

The eye bolts at the ends of the arms were made from small discs cut from the styrene rod and cut in half to create the ring.

Then I built the winching gear box out of two small squares of sprue, first was the smaller angled piece, since the sprue parts are usually angled to a narrow side I just matched a segment to my paired arms. I then made a diagonal cut to match the angle of the arms. Then I cut a small cube of larger sprue and squared the edges and drilled a small hole all the way through (this was for the hand cranks), before attaching to my angled piece.

Hand cranks are made from piano wire.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 18:15.

The level of scratchbuild detail on this is extremely impressive, 10/10 for dedication to detail, know this one is going to be a long hall project but already looking forward to seeing all the nice little details together.

Remember going to Grenwich Naval College (london) as a kid and seeing all these incredibly detailed ship models, something really compelling about the detail - ie the more there is the more it drags your eye into the model (if that makes sense!)

Following this log with great intrest having been sunk by a flower corvette more than once in Silent Hunter 3.

Thanks guys, a little more progress...

Next part of the stern fittings was the depth charge rails. Now my original plan was to just scratch-build my own, but after looking at my timelines and taking a closer look at the drawings from John McKay & John Harland's Anatomy of the Ship - The Flower Class Corvette AGASSIZ, I have decided to just use the kit parts with some adjustments. First thing was to cut off the last segment of each set of rails and from the removed segment I cut off the curved loading rail. Now one set of rails would have been for regular depth charges and one set would have been for ‘heavy’ charges which carried an extra weight.

On the depth charges themselves I think that I will be cutting off the extra extensions on each depth charge in the kit (they are too wide when the scale is checked), leaving one side on to represent the ‘heavy’ charges.

So I may still have to narrow my rails by cutting out some of the cross braces. I have already started to sand down the parts to make them narrower and more to scale.

Here is the sweep gear as it stands right now (minus the winch as there was not room in the photo…gives you an idea of how crowded it is going to be back there).

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 18:17. Reason: No reason...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast