Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Captain Brown builds the Flower Class Corvette HMCS CHILLIWACK (What did he say?!)

Re: Captain Brown builds the Flower Class Corvette HMCS CHILLIWACK (What did he say?!

I have to say this is a fantastic log, think I've spent the last 20 minutes reading through the log so far and really do hope you get it done as it would be a crime for this model to not win the competition.

Keep up the amazing work CB

Jono

Re: Captain Brown builds the Flower Class Corvette HMCS CHILLIWACK (What did he say?!

Thanks for the comments,

Here is a slightly better picture of the beef and vegetable screen boxes (well better than the last one...you can just see the edge of the boxes), you can also see the davit for the ammunition hoist and some of the gun detail. There is also one of the small vents that sat outside the splinter plates, West Coast built RCN corvettes had three on each side, something I don't think I have seen on East Coast builds so it would help in photo identification when there is no ship's number. The vent was made from one of the kit stanchions...for a useless part I seem to be using them everywhere.

Railings for my extra stairs proved a bit problematic, at first I figured I would use some plastic railing from the kit and bend them...but I found this to be fairly weak and since this is a display model and may get bumped I needed something stronger...so piano wire was used to make railings. They are a little thiner than the kit ones, but so are the post-production stanchions I intend to use and since those will have canvas dodgers added to most I think the difference will not be as noticeable.

I started to add some Maroon coloured primer to simulate 'red lead' over the grey car primer...you can see a little in this picture at the bottom.

You can see my hand railings made from the plastic kit railings, I added them on the superstructure based on John McKay & John Harland's Anatomy of the Ship - The Flower Class Corvette AGASSIZ.

I also figured out what to use for the last two lockers on the Engine Room Casing (a narrow locker and one of the large Hedgehog or 4-Inch lockers cut in half from the focsle of the original kit). As well as adding ladders down to the breezeway (you can just see the top in the bottom corner).

The green is some painters tape because that is what’s coming...priming the superstructure.

The long painting and converting war continues...

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 22:52.

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Presently selling fully painted OOP WHFB Orcs, OOPS GW Books, Wave Serpent - Interested in buying a Citadel Realm of Battle Board Carrying Bag

This log is amazing! Truly it's great work and the amount of modifying you've done is great. Looking forward to seeing some paint get on there too.
    My Army Builds

Kudos to you, job well done. :skull:

Thanks for the comment,

Suddenly it dawned on me I was missing the Carly Float racks/deck. It sat over the top of the galley doors on the RCN corvettes. So since nothing in the kit fit, I scratch built two using etched styrene for the planking, L brackets for the frame and U brackets for the legs, adjusting for the slope of the bulwarks and the boat deck.

Carley Float Rack/Deck: (Upside down view…it was the best shot of the conversion)

A picture of the racks/deck after primer has been added…and the wood patterned styrene has a lick of paint.

Look from a slightly different angle:

A further look from abeam…these were the photos that turned out.

A slightly blurry picture of the focsle, but you get the idea of the wood planking. The windlass is still a concept and needs to be built.

A look overall…now with the black bottom and grey primer she looks a little like the RCN corvettes before the Western Approaches colours.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 23:11.

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Presently selling fully painted OOP WHFB Orcs, OOPS GW Books, Wave Serpent - Interested in buying a Citadel Realm of Battle Board Carrying Bag

Awesome work CB, I'm feeling sea sick already!

I think the extra railings on the stairs are great, and fit the build really well.
    Corpse on wings! - Undead Warpfire Dragon Blog

Wow CB, you've made some excellent progress since I last checked the plog. All the extra detail you've to the ship looks very impressive. Is there much more to add to it? before you can make a start on painting the beast.
    Veteran of the Psychic Wars

What has he got a tea cosy on his head for?

TOHC

Thanks guys,

So after an enforced break due to assignments being due and late calls from work…with some invigilating thrown in for good measure I am back and have decided it is time to finish the two lifeboats.

RCN corvettes did not get the 27 foot whaler until much later (the 10 RCN Corvettes built to the British pattern and named for flowers never got whalers), so for this 1942 build I started previously by detailing the two provided in the kit in an earlier post, now I am back at them.

First thing I did was remove the 0.010 by 0.020 strip seated on the ribs and replaced it with a lowered 0.020 by 0.020 strip. Next I used some 0.020 by 0.080 styrene for the thwarts and some 0.010 by 0.060 for the knees.

Here you can see the rudder detail:

The rudder was actually made from bits of the original kits thwarts and stern (instead of cutting some from styrene I have tried to use as much of the kit as possible). The brackets are 0.010 by 0.020 styrene and the tiller bar was made from some styrene tubing.

So some oars and oarlocks and perhaps a water keg and some provision boxes and these are done.

The long painting war continues...

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 23:12.

More progress, now this is the problem when you start a section without referencing the photographs. I started adding the pipe rail stanchions on the engine room casing, unfortunately I used the 3' 3 rail versions rather than the 3' 2 rail and had to remove them…sadly no stanchion survived and now I am without 3’ 3 Pipe rail stanchions. I have used 4’ 3 Pipe rail stanchions for the bridge, but for the wheelhouse I am forced to use 3’ 2 rail stanchions like those on the engine room casing, galley and boat decks.

Railings added aft on the engine room casing:

Looking at the funnel and boat decks…as well as the galley deck and the aft rails of the bridge, both the latter will be covered in canvas dodgers (the railings from the boat deck to the engine room casing deck are still not connected so I can separate the superstructure for painting):

From forward looking aft:

The railings were very tricky and I ended up using a pin to make sure the holes for the wire were open enough. I used super glue to secure them and general cut only straight wire to join them (I tried a little bending for the funnel deck and a few other places). The stanchions were from “Great Little Ships” and while very accurate, they were also very delicate and unforgiving if they needed too much adjustment.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 10-11-2017 at 17:36.

It is time for the canvas dodgers to get added to the railings for the bridge, wheelhouse and galley decks. I am not using canvas, but instead tissue paper.

Here is the first attempt for the 4’ 3 Pipe railing on the bridge.

I realize it will stop being translucent when I paint it, but it does seem a little too thin, perhaps a second layer of tissue. What do you think?

Another small addition was the galley chimney. Here is the kit version (which was designed to run aft to the funnel to clear room for the 271 Radar Lantern that was added in late 1942 and not one I am doing) with part of it cut out.

Now attached to the superstructure, when I join the wheelhouse section to the galley section I will add a bracket to the bridge to help stabilize the chimney.

I also drilled holes in the chimney for appearances.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 23:16.

Three thumbs up Mr Brown!

When did it become possible to post 6 images in a post? :confused:

You should do a German sub next, they're always fun.
    I have a blog! leftsideofliberal.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    I for one, welcome our new penguin overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw_Dawson View Post
    Three thumbs up Mr Brown!

When did it become possible to post 6 images in a post? :confused:

You should do a German sub next, they're always fun.
    The six images has been a feature of the Project Logs area for a while know although few seem to know about it?

I second the German sub idea although if you're not to keen you could just model some water with a periscope

Thanks guys, but likely I will build another Corvette this time with the long focsle.

Now for an interesting story, as I have mentioned several times in the build log I have been unable to find any record or image of gun art for CHILLIWACK, every photo I have found lacks that famous RCN hallmark. The Gun Art book also is missing any mention of CHILLIWACK.

Then out of the blue I received an invite to see some new stained glass added to Vancouver Christ Church Cathedral due to my role in the navy and what was sitting in the middle of the first panel?

Now the artist made this from a sketch and the colours are assumed based on the shading…

This is an example of a scan of a photo sent me by the North Shore Museum…notice no gun art:

I have finally found a CHILLIWACK veteran and hope to speak with him within the next few weeks and will ask if he remembers the art.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 23:17.

Librarian

The amount of detail you are putting into this is amazing.. right down to doing the research and getting to have conversations with veterans that were on the vessal when it was in use..

Going to look great when it is all done.. hopefully the judges think so as well..

Good stuff so far. Where did you get your extra ladders for the wheelhouse etc?

Thanks guys,

Captain Swoop, I used some railroad steps in 1/100 scale, they are not quite steep enough, but close enough for a good compromise.

After speaking with several veterans (one navy and the other merchant marine) it seems that the gun art was lacking from CHILLIWACK and that this badge was a later addition...notice the yellow "explosion"...that really looks to be the top of the stylized Maple Leaf added to some corvette's funnels in 43 and 44 to differentiate RCN Corvettes from their RN counterparts and these were green in colour.

Some more progress, sorry I have not posted in a while, but I have lots to add in the next few days.

The forward railings were made from black thread and the rope stanchions from Great Little Ships. They proved a challenge to add due to the delicate nature of the white metal stanchions and I ended up using crazy glue to secure the thread and running it through.

Same thing was done on the 4 Inch Bandstand, but this time I added some old mesh from a damaged screen to make the safety netting.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 23:18.

Another update,

Mast got some more work, first I wanted to make sure the yard arm was going to be able to stand up to the stress of halyards so I added a thin brass wire beneath it.

I might drop it or replace it with a wire spar if it proves to be too noticeable.

I also added a light fitting to beneath the crows nest and some struts as per several photographs. The Burrard Drydock drawings did not have the crows nest as that was a later fitting.

To keep the mast steady I have added some hard points made of brass to create eyes for the stays, here are a pair just aft of the focsle.

Next up was the SW1C Radar, the Canadian 1.5 metre wavelength set that was rotated by the operator using a bicycle chain…that was how it was converted from a forward fixed mount to rotate 360 degrees.

I used a single piece of Evergreen StripStyrene 221 3/64” Rod. First I cut off a 50 mm length for the top of the radar aerial. Then a 36 mm length that was cut into 2 x 18 mm lengths, one end received a 60 degree cut and the other a 30 degree cut. A file was used to make a notch in each angled cut and for the end of the long remaining portion.

Then I glued the 50 mm piece at right angled to the long remaining portion at about 18 mm from one end. The two 18 mm pieces were glued with the large angle against the main trunk and the smaller angle against the 50 mm portion creating a yaga style radar.

A piece of that kit provided railing was then cut up make three equal parts of 8 mm long and these were glued together to make an “H” and this is the tail end of the SW1C.

I used the colour photo of the WEYBURN as the best reference shot I could find, it shows the radar post going down the length of the mast, so I drilled can extra hole in my mast bracket and will use some larger hollow styrene tubing cut up to make the brackets to hold the SW1C post against the mast.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 07-09-2017 at 23:22.

More brilliant work!

Those lifeboats are fantastic, the attention to detail and research on this project is exceptional.
    Corpse on wings! - Undead Warpfire Dragon Blog

Thanks GundamMecha,

Well I am getting into the final details; one part that has been long delayed is the secondary armament. Corvettes tended to mount whatever was available; about the only common fitting was the World War One 4 Inch gun forward. Although documentation today states a 4 Inch deck gun, 2 X 20mm Oerlikons, Hedgehog and 2 Pound Pom-Pom these were the fittings on later corvettes with extended focsles and the supply of secondary armament had been sorted out in 1944.

Ted Paxton who sailed in HMCS SHEDIAC had identified twin .50 Calibre Machine Guns on the bridge wings and that SHEDIAC had another pair mounted in the aft bandstand (these were later replaced with the 2 Pound Pom-Pom) and when the bridge-wings were extended and given struts the Oerlikons replaced the bridge mounts.

The earliest photos of CHILLIWACK definitely have a paired mounting of some kind aft (likely twin .50 Calibre Machine Guns) but at some point these were replaced with a Pom-Pom as a photo in 1943 when the 271 Radar was added she has the 2 pounder.

So armed with this information I decided to build four twined .50 Calibre Mounts (Browning Machine Guns) and a Pom-Pom to be safe…

First up was the .50 Cals and I started with some plastic styrene tubing, then some square and rectangular strips and cut them down to scale. I also used some more 1/35 scale tank treads which I was trimming down to make the handles at the rear of the Browning.

The Brownings in their rough form, details to be added still:

With my first run at their mountings (I used the drawings from Shipcraft Special: Flower Class Corvettes by John Lambert and Les Brown)…it seems the mountings are a little small for bridge wings splinter shield so I will likely build some larger ones, after seeing a photo of HMCS BATTLEFORD with the high mounts I will make some more.

With detailing added, I think I will trim down the ends of the barrels as the Canadian versions I have seen in photos tended to be the short wide nose variant.

So I spoke with several more veterans about RCN corvettes. Don Bellamy sailed in HMCS CHICOUTIMI (besides several other ships) and remembered CHILLIWACK having a Pom-Pom in the aft bandstand in 1942. He described some of the living conditions and confirmed some of the minesweeping fittings for me. So it looks like I will be building a 2 Pounder after all.

Bill Hutcheson sailed in the Merchant Marine and did several trips near the end of the war, but only once did a corvette come close enough to pass a message and ask about the crew (probably to see if there were any friends or relations in the Canadian merchant). Bill has also made a model of CHILLIWACK (later long focsle version) which I hear it is quite spectacular and he says that all photos he has of CHILLIWACK have the Pom-Pom aft, but admits they are from after her focsle extension.

Peter Lynch sailed in HMCS MATANE (if anyone has any pictures of this Frigate he would be keen to see them) and sailed in concert with a few corvettes, he passed on some anecdotes of the second iteration of EG 9.

Cully Lancaster sailed in HMCS MOOSE JAW and he said that she carried two pairs of Lewis Guns in her aft bandstand. Cully was from Moose Jaw and ended up sailing in the corvette named for his home town when the assigned officer failed to make his connection and the corvette sailed with Cully taking his place…one of those “two year” temporary assignments.

CB
    Last edited by Captain Brown; 08-09-2017 at 16:31.

Really incredible attention to detail Captain Brown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty
    What the Modsticker said.

Just wanted to say this is one of my all time favourite logs for the detail alone, incredible work, hope it is appreciated.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast