Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fredman's Epic Project

Fredman's Epic Project

Greetings. I have just finished last year's Tale of 40K Painters and painted two Epic armies: 4050 points of Tyranids and 3650 points of Imperial Guard Steel Legion.

So, having completed that, I decided to start a log for all my Epic projects. First off, for this year's tale, I will try to paint 4000 points of Ordo Malleus Inquisition and 3500 points of Lost and the Damned Cultists. If I manage, I will also try adding to the Tyranids, polishing and adding to the Guards, do some Epic terrain, a Titan battle group, some Red Scorpion Marines and an Ork army.

So, this is where I am right now:

Tyranid army-shot:

Steel Legion army-shot:

/Fredmans
    Last edited by Fredmans; 07-09-2009 at 19:47.
    <

Re: Fredman's Epic Project

The Tyranids are inspired by the colour schemes in Imperial Armour 4, one brownish red and one camouflage green for carapaces. The common body scheme is bestial brown with a thin brown wash painted to a highlight with khaki. I found khaki to be perfect, since it works with both greens and reds and really gives the army a uniform feel although it consists of two (or as you can see, three) different schemes. The bases were painted with the same purpose in mind, to be brownish red as well as green. They are basically sand and small stones painted in scorched brown and drybrushed with bone white, patched with green grass.

An example of brownish red: A base of scorched brown/dark leather followed by dark leather, highlighted with vermin brown.

An example of green: A base of Vallejo Model Color Russian Green, followed by Cayman Green and finally Camouflage green.

After painting a couple of broods of each colour, I started experimenting with mixing them on the same base:

On the bigger bugs, I also use the different colour schemes for "inverted" areas, like on this Malefactor:

Some "infiltration" units received a third cityscape colour scheme as I plan to build some city terrain to match. These were painted in Adeptus Grey up to Fortress Grey, but keeping the bestial brown -> khaki bodies:

Tongues and vessels leading to weapons are consistantly painted in a purple -> purple/dwarf flesh 1:3 -> purple/elf flesh 1:3 process. Wings and membranes are painted differently depending on whether it is a "green" or "reddish brown" creature. Green creatures are painted with a 1:1 mixture of khaki/cayman green, drybrushed in khaki, washed in a watered down "dirt" ink mix (black, green and brown), and a final highlight in khaki.

/Fredmans
    Last edited by Fredmans; 07-09-2009 at 20:04.
    <

Since Epic Tyranids are long OOP, and the 40K Tyranids have evolved since then, there are ample opportunities for conversion:

For Lictors, I have re-arranged the arms, sculpted tails and face tendrils to make them look more like their 40K counter-parts. Raveners are construed from 40K Rippers and Epic Tyranid Warriors and some brown-stuff and odd plastic and metal pieces:

For Winged Hive Tyrants, I have used old 40K Gargoyle wings with some modifications and removed the upper two arms from a E40K Hive Tyrant:

The Epic Trygon comes from the really old era, and really looks like the underground worms in "Tremors". The solution was to replace the head with a Ripper head.

On the Dominatrix, I added some Termagaunts to the base, and angled their heads in a somewhat bird-dinosaurie way.

So, what remains to be done. A lot, I am pleased to say:
    Objectives
    Green hierophant
    Hydraphant
    Vituperator (larger Harridan)
    Red Harridan
    Burrowing swarm (6 burrowing Raveners and 2 Trygons)
    Red Winged Tyrant
    Scythed Hierodule
    Barbed Hierodule
    Hive Tyrant
    Mixed Colours Tyranid Warrior Swarm
    Mixed Colours Gargoyles
    Red Biovores
    Red Exocrines
    Green Dactylises
    Carnifexes
    More gaunts
    Last edited by Fredmans; 07-09-2009 at 19:11.
    <

The Steel Legion army is based on three colour schemes, one for infantry, one for the mechanized parts and a third for the Imperial Navy. The bases are painted in bestial brown -> heavy drybrush of desert yellow -> final highlight of khaki.

The infantry is painted in Vallejo filth brown, given a thin brown ink wash and then highlighted with some yellow (the text is worn out). The skin is tan followed by bronzed flesh. Example of infantry:

The tanks are painted in Adeptus Grey (GW Foundation), given a thin black ink wash, painted in codex grey followed by a fortress grey highlight. The camouflage stripes are painted in the same way although 1:1 rotten flesh and the final stage is pure rotten flesh. Baggage is mostly painted to match the bases, bestial brown -> khaki.

The Imperial Navy colour scheme is bestial brown, followed by a thin brown ink wash, drybrushed desert yellow and a final highlight of khaki. The undersides are painted in wolf grey, followed by a very thin wash of shadow grey followed by a pure skull white highlight:

Commissars are either put on a stand:

or placed in a tank. In that case, the colour scheme of the tank changes the grey parts to a black gradually highlighted with shadow grey instead.

So, the army at present consists of:

Companies:
    Regimental HQ Company + 2 Mechanized Ogryns + Hellhound Squadron + Hydra AA
    Infantry Company + 2 Ratling Snipers + Fire Support Platoon
    Leeman Russ Tank Company + Hydra AA
    Shadowsword Super-heavy Tank Company + Hydra AA

Support Formations:
    Sentinel Squadron
    Bombard Battery
    Manticore Battery
    Vulture Squadron

Imperial Navy Allies:
    2 x 2 Thunderbolt Fighters
    <

The Guards are mostly new SG material, but I also have a stockpile of older plastic which is included as well as converted a bit. I use the old standard bearers to indicate Platoon command stands, but I add great coats to them so that they shall fit in. The E40K era introduced Valhallan missile launchers and vox-casters. These were easily passable as Steel Legion so I let the Regimental commanders have the new (uglier) Vox-casters and the platoon commanders have the old ones:
    Regimental Command (Supreme Commander, Company Standard, Vox-caster, Sanctioned Psyker and a regular guardsman):

Platoon Command (Platoon Standard, Vox-caster, Veteran sgt, 2 guardsmen):

For the Fire Support platoon, I added coats to some old Gunners to make them look like "spotting" officers:

The Ogryns had their arms cut off and re-positioned in different angles (idea stolen directly from the rulebook):

The present Russes are a bit disappointing compared to the old E40K ones, so I tried adding some baggage to them. I am a bit ashamed, because the baggage is not really finished off (basecoat now, black at the time of the picture), but you get the idea:

Command Vanquisher (communications device idea stolen from the Apocalyse rulebook):

So, what remains to be done:
    First of all, there are markings to be done. I have painted company markings, but some individual markings remain. Then there is:
    Objectives
    Baneblade with Commissar
    Stormtroopers with Commissar in Valkyries
    Deathstrike Missile Launchers
    Rough Rider Platoon with Commissar
    Artillery Commissar add-ons
    Last edited by Fredmans; 07-09-2009 at 20:07.
    <

Veteran Sergeant

Those are two fantastic looking armies Fredmans, I'm hoping that when I finish the tale next August I'll be able to post three similar army shots. Sounds like you've got a very ambitious year of modelling ahead of you, two armies for the tale, titans, terrain and reinforcements, I can't wait to see all that Epic goodness.

Your infantry stands look amazing, do you have any tips on how to get them looking so good? I have an Imperial Guard infantry company to do for this month's portion of the tale and I'm a little apprehensive about it at the moment.

Haarken.
    <

Thanks Haarken. I am really impressed by your first contributions to this year's tale. One tip is to paint the guardsmen on their sprues:

Other than that, I use Vallejo inks instead of GW washes and thin them out a little with water. I guess a general idea would be to first paint the coats in a middle colour, followed by a thinned out ink wash and then a lighter highlight. In my case, filth brown, brown ink, sun yellow (I think). The guns are just boltgun metal with a thin black ink wash with no highlights. The skin is painted last with tan and highlights with bronzed flesh.

At last, but not least, be consistent. I think it really helps an army if you can spot themes in the army colours. I have tried to explain my thought process for these two armies because I do think it is important and that it shows in the end. I hope that made sense.

/Fredmans
    Last edited by Fredmans; 07-09-2009 at 21:14.
    <

Very nice; well done.
    <

Very nicely painted, I think I'd go insane if I had to paint epic miniatures...
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.oetk3r View Post
    Biggus Dickus
    <

Quote Originally Posted by 3vilX View Post
    Very nicely painted, I think I'd go insane if I had to paint epic miniatures...
    Quote Originally Posted by orangesm View Post
    Very nice; well done.
    Thanks for the support. I will need it the upcoming months.

I have begun process on my Ordo Malleus forces. First up is a squad of 20 Grey Knights in power armour with 2 Grey Knight Dreadnoughts. These first will be FW epic models, with no conversions of any kind. The goal with these is to get a feel for Grey Knight colours and details before moving on to bigger stuff.

Test knight:

Same test knight in different angles:

I am not really happy with the blade yet, although it looks better in real life. Zooming in at this scale is quite unflattering. I also need to finish the heraldry on the right shoulder pad. I am not sure whether to go with squad markings or personal heraldry. The codex seems to suggest personal heraldry from the moment of Grey Knight-hood.

The next dilemma is the bases. I have two ideas in mind (will probably try two bases and post here before deciding):
    Martian red sand with rocks: Easy, and I think it will look good against the colours of this army.
    Chaos temple ground: Suggestive, and in character, but I am a bit dubious, since I normally do not like models that carry their terrain with them.

/Fredmans
    <

Wow, these armies look great, particlularly the 'Nids, they look fantastic. for such small models you have really managed to get a lot of detail into themm.

ElTanko
    ElTanko's Spare Time - Click! - Updated 8th July 2011

ROUSING THE BRAYHERD - BEASTMEN - Updated 24th July 2011
    <

Seconded, the level of detail is incredible, makes my attempts at Epic (a few years ago i admit) look even more pathetic!

The cockpit windows on the Vultures and the Grey Knights force weapon in particular look like you've taken a picture of a 40k model from a distance and called it Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocculum View Post
    Burnthem. Winning the internet since 2005 .
    <

Wow, did you paint the Knight with aid of an electron microscope at all? It looks quite respectable blown up to 15x normal size but zoomed out to actually be ~6mm tall it's fantastic. How long do you take on each mini?

The basing ideas sound good. Martian rocks is, as you say, quick and simple, and will look good; the temple thing could be cool though I'm not sure how it would be made convincing given the limited space on Epic bases.

Keep up the good work!
    Like slack-jawed never Gnyaarg. Some then folks'll folks'll skunk, some. the but, again yokel eat a Cletus.
    | Project log |
    McMullet's avatar has poorly hands and so few postings will be written and they may be a little terse.
    <

Thanks everyone, for your kind words. No electron microscope has been used (yet). Progress has been made, despite the forces of nature (ill daughter) and various temptations (weekend of gaming). My Tyranids lost against Marines, but the same Marines were pounded to defeat by the Guards.

Anyhow, I have made the first submission to the Tale of 40K Painters. It is a Grey Knight Order (2 Detachments) with 2 Dreadnoughts.

As I stated in that thread, I wanted to avoid metallics, because at this scale anything painted metal will obscure details and look like Necrons. So, I have painted them in NMM greys, but without any NMM techniques (which I do not know anything of). These models are extremely detailed, filled with purity seals, inquisition symbols, parchments etc), as the following picture tries to convey:

One stand (front). I wanted the force weapons to crackle with psychic energy and I am quite happy with the result:

(and from the back):

As Epic deals with big battles, the basic Ordo Malles unit, a Grey Knight Order consists of four stands (4x5 marines or 2 detachments of 10). So, I opted to have an Order theme, but with two detachment variations. The entire order carries blue force weapons and both captains have red tabards, but the detachments carry red and black stormbolters and psi-cannons respectively. This Order has also opted for 2 support dreadnoughts (which happens to be the T-hawk transportation limit - 8 units, dreads take up 2 slots), so I went for the designation theme for them as well. Some red details on one, and black details on the other.

Front view of dreadnought

Side views

With some infantry under the belt, stay tuned for Land Raiders and a Chaos Coven.

/Fredmans
    Last edited by Fredmans; 07-10-2009 at 22:06.
    <

Thumbs up Re: Fredman's Epic Project

Awesome work. Especially your Grey Knights.

Thanks to you im interested in Epic now
    <

Chapter Master

Superb all the way. Those Grey Knights top the listl. You've succeeded in getting a hell lot of detail into those small Epic minis. Just how it should look in fact.

May I suggest that you paint the guardsmen's eyes?
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Sashgo View Post
    Awesome work. Especially your Grey Knights.

Thanks to you im interested in Epic now
    Mission accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by N0th1ng c4n b34t 3lv3s View Post
    Superb all the way. Those Grey Knights top the listl. You've succeeded in getting a hell lot of detail into those small Epic minis. Just how it should look in fact.

May I suggest that you paint the guardsmen's eyes?
    Thanks a lot. When I started painting Epic a little over a year ago, I was quite surprised by the level of detail already existing on the miniatures. This is especially true of the Grey Knights.

This is intented to be a little WIP post of my Chaos Big Mutants. I am painting a Khorne Coven with a Daemon Prince, some Cultists and quite a few Big Mutants. I want the army (or at least this coven) to portray the corruption/mutations inflicted through Chaos worship, so my Big Mutants are a mix of the old Minotaurs and these Min-ogres whereas the Cultists are a mixture/combination of human and beast elements. I have always felt that Minotaurs are the beastly followers of Khorne, so I decided to minotaurize some Ogryns. When based along with Minotaurs, I hope to portray the notion that these are halfway there.

/Fredmans
    <

Epic Conversions! In more ways than one!
    <

Those Minotaurs rule!
    Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Space ship design project

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror
    <

Quote Originally Posted by orangesm View Post
    Epic Conversions! In more ways than one!
    Quote Originally Posted by malika View Post
    Those Minotaurs rule!
    Thanks, I am pleased to say that the painted ones are turning out really good as well.

But first, I have finished a Grey Knight Land Raider formation. These are almost straight Forgeworld models, but I decided to do some minor add-ons.

As you can see on this one, I have added a small plasticard heraldic shield to the right side of each Raider.

I also decided to try some heraldry. In the same space, but on the left side, I added small etched brass Inquisition symbols instead.

Front and back view. As you can see, there was some warping and damages to the casts, which I tried to clean/sculpt away without ruining the model. It looks worse in the picture than in real life, where you have to bring people's attention to it.

I decided to give each tank individual heraldry, going with the swords, skulls and I:s. I then used the heraldry on the marine's shoulder pad sans symbols.

The whole army to date (875 points):

Coming really soon, Khornate Cultists.

/Fredmans
    Last edited by Fredmans; 21-11-2009 at 21:16.
    <

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast