Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Fredman's Epic Project

Re: Fredman's Epic Project

Amazing work, and the heraldry is a great idea. Shame about the warping but it probably won't show on the table.
    Like slack-jawed never Gnyaarg. Some then folks'll folks'll skunk, some. the but, again yokel eat a Cletus.
    | Project log |
    McMullet's avatar has poorly hands and so few postings will be written and they may be a little terse.
    <

Commander

Some great looking armies. Always nice seeing epic armies. Look forward to seeing more of your work.
    Your views much appreciated as I need all the help I can get!
    My WH blog http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195162
    My Iron warriors and word bearers project log http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260551
    Imperial Blog http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288036
    Xenos Blog http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288038
    <

Nice work, I haven't touched my epic armys (orks and eldar) in two years (both army started of Spacemarine/titan legions erea) so there mixed models (even got some of the literal eggs on legs war walkers.
    Supporting Elves since 1994, 2012 - Year of the elves!
    Avater by http://tauring.deviantart.com/
    My Web site.
    Bridgwater Wargames Club
    Everyday I'm forced to add another name to the list of painters I hate due to extremely good painting abality.
    <

Brother Sergeant

The greyknights look awesome.
    <

Great news for all Grey Knight lovers. I have just finished my second order (+dreadnoughts).

To separate the orders during game play, I kept the idea of differentiating them by the colour of their force weapons. This order carries red force weapons as an order. Both captains wear white tabards as well. To differentiate the two squads, one carry white weapons, the other black.

Inspired by the work on my Land Raiders, the other thing I did was to paint heraldry (just colours, no symbols) on the right shoulder pads (dreadnoughts' left ones).

Enough talk, where are the pictures, you might ask...

First off, the infantry: White squad, first stand

White squad, second stand:

Black squad, first stand:

Black squad, second stand:

/Fredmans
    Last edited by Fredmans; 05-02-2010 at 17:26.
    <

continuing the previous post...

Grey Knight Dreadnoughts:

Revisiting the previous Dreads (adding heraldry):

Inquisition Strike Force:

and as a curiosity for those who are unfamiliar with Epic, a size comparison shot:

Stay put for more Epic goodness,

/Fredmans
    <

Hey there :-),

just wanted to say that I am always impressed by epic-scale and this in-scale shot in your last post is spot on.
    So many nice details and all, really really nice. You have a very steady hand :-)
    Only thing I don't like with epic is, that some models stand on square and some on round bases...they should all stand on squares imo.

keep it up,

Noc
    -
    > Hive Fleet Esus <
    > Nocturn's Almighty Push <

After a long break updating with Tau, Eldar, Chaos and 'Nids.
    (latest Update 08/22/2017: T'au "The Fallen" - Kroot Paint Scheme)

-
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturn View Post
    Hey there :-),

just wanted to say that I am always impressed by epic-scale and this in-scale shot in your last post is spot on.
    So many nice details and all, really really nice. You have a very steady hand :-)
    Only thing I don't like with epic is, that some models stand on square and some on round bases...they should all stand on squares imo.

keep it up,

Noc
    Thanks for your kind words. Basing has always been a bit of a problem when building Epic armies. Vehicles are usually not based, although some do. In the old days of Space Marine, square bases were used for infantry and Warhound Titans, but round bases for bigger Titans. My preference is for consistency, but in this case it had to go out the window. I wanted the strip bases for showcasing the infantry, but the dreads came with feet as part of their bases. In gameplay, it is totally irrelevant, so the concern is mostly an aesthetic one.

And finally, I am keeping it up :-)
    /Fredmans
    <

This is a fun log! Your Tyranids are very impressive, it's been along time since I have seen them in 6mm and you have done them justice.
    Your steel legion also very well done. You paint your Epic like I paint my Warmaster, fun to see similar techniques used in different venues. That being said you have crammed a lot more detail into your epic guard than I did.
    Your grey knights, well they are just top shelf, it is easy to forget just how small these models are until you throw an ork in there for scale.
    I anxiously await your next work!
    Last edited by jdp; 31-03-2010 at 03:09.
    `there's the King's Messenger. He's in prison now, being punished: and the trial doesn't even begin till next Wednesday: and of course the crime comes last of all.'`Suppose he never commits the crime?' said Alice. `That would be all the better, wouldn't it?' the Queen said.
    My back to Taros Imperial Guard log...
    My Warmaster log...
    My Chaos log... My Austrians...
    <

I've never seen the epic grey knights in person, but you've inspired me to work on my tau a little bit... After I finish up my titan legion that is.
    <

<

Just a minor update, to keep the log alive. You will have to pardon the lousy camera and lighting skills.

First, a BFG Grey Knight Strike Cruiser for my Inquisition Strike Force. I chose the same colour scheme as my other Grey Knights, but I tried to add some contrast to emphasize that a space ship would be of somewhat different dimensions than the ordinary tanks and infantry. Therefore, I have worked with thicker lines to emphasize a more massive structure.

I used a parchment-inspired background to the name "Gladius Iratus", which is pseudo-latin for Sword of Wrath. I have no latin grammar skills, but thought it sounded Asterixesque enough to use. I first tried to mimic a medieval font, but settled for Old English.

To show that a single ship is not the only thing I have done lately, I also have some WIP shots. First, some transports for my Inquisition forces.I picked up some etched brass with these vehicles in mind, and the Rhinos were inspired by IA7. I will green-stuff laurels before painting them.

Some of you might remember the Chaos Mutants. They are now painted, but not based, since I intend to base them at the same time as some other infantry (IG and Tyranids) that I am currently working on.

I used a mixture of models from the new and old Epic ranges with some DRM minis mixed in. The plastic minis were extensively head-and weapon-swapped for some variation. I use red, black and red-tainted Khaki as my three main colours which I vary to keep coherency but avoiding uniformity. The daemonic models have a different shade of red than the cultists and marines.

I plan to model two themes throughout the army, mutation and puppet masters. To show mutation, I use beastmen, beastmen parts on human infantry. The min-ogres, are slightly more mutated and finally the minotaurs are pure beast. To show the malign force behind the rebellion, I have sprinkled some Chaos Marines among the Cultists, and let the actual Fire Support heavy weapons be Chaos Marines as well. There is a Chaos Marine standing behind the Daemon Prince as well.

The first models in my planned Lost and the Damned force, a Khorne Coven consisting of Daemon Prince, 5 Big Mutants

Cultists, Fire Support (Renegade Havocs) and a Chaos Hound

Thanks for watching (so many of you!!!), and thanks for the kind comments as well.

/Fredmans
    Last edited by Fredmans; 07-04-2010 at 21:44.
    <

I used to have a whole heap of epic stuff back when the starter box was called space marine. I've heard that the cost is quite scandalous these days. Do you utilise ebay? I see quite a few classic models here...
    Check out my great new Necromunda log
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249570
    <

Great start to your Khornate Coven, the mixing up of different models looks the part.
    <

Quote Originally Posted by e2055261 View Post
    I used to have a whole heap of epic stuff back when the starter box was called space marine. I've heard that the cost is quite scandalous these days. Do you utilise ebay? I see quite a few classic models here...
    As you can see, I too had a whole lot of Epic stuff back in the days of Space Marine. I have used eBay to fill in the gaps in my collection, although the prices seem to have gone through the ceiling over the last year. Hopefully, it means that Epic:A is growing in popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feral View Post
    Great start to your Khornate Coven, the mixing up of different models looks the part.
    Thank you, I am quite pleased with how well the old worked with the new, as well as with how the Epic stuff worked alongside the DRM minis. I have begun work on another Khornate Coven and some Assault Engines.

/Fredmans
    <

Hey man.

This is a gorgeous Epic plog. I have fallen in love with your Tyranid army, its painted beautifully and I really like little touches like using the Genestealer familiar as a Broodlord. Your other armies look great too and your Grey Knights detail show you as a master of this scale.

It was looking at this plog that made me decide to try my own hand at painting and playing Epic and I really havent regretted it. Keep up the amazing work.

Five Stars!
    There’s no school like
    the Old School
    <

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Drill View Post
    Hey man.

This is a gorgeous Epic plog. I have fallen in love with your Tyranid army, its painted beautifully and I really like little touches like using the Genestealer familiar as a Broodlord. Your other armies look great too and your Grey Knights detail show you as a master of this scale.

It was looking at this plog that made me decide to try my own hand at painting and playing Epic and I really havent regretted it. Keep up the amazing work.

Five Stars!
    Thanks for the kind words. I am glad I have helped someone discover Epic and since you like my Tyranids, I am happy to tell you that there are some additions on the way.

/Fredmans
    <

This is but a minor update of some work for the NetEpic Tyranid Army Book. More models are making their way to a finished state, but I am currently very busy with painting up a WHFB army for a tournament. Anyway...

NetEpic Brooder (mini Trygon), which will be used as a burrowing Ravener in my E:A list.

And a Zoat (will be used as a Broodlord in E:A)

Thanks for looking,
    Fredmans
    <

...and from a few more angles.

The burrowing ravener is basically an old-school Ripper with extra claws, cut to different sizes to match the design of the Epic Trygon model. I plan to build a formation of six of these, and two Trygons.

The Zoat is a Warmaster Dragon Ogre for body, an Epic Minotaur torso and a Genestealer head. I used some Tyranid bitz for weapon and added some details (like hoofs) with green stuff.

Thanks for watching,
    Fredmans
    <

Cool! That Zoat is gorgeously painted.
    <

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast