Thread: Multi-Player Space Hulk?

Multi-Player Space Hulk?

I am going to a game convention in a few months and I was thinking about running Space Hulk.
    I was wondering was there any rules for playing with more Space Marine players in the old editions?
    I have been thinking about it and believe it is possible to play if one had more miniatures (the only thing I am worried about is if the tiles would be enough).

Re: Multi-Player Space Hulk?

You could possibly do it in the 3rd ed,1st and 2nd ed were before my time I think. In a couple of the missions there are two Terminator squads, which could maybe with a bit of tweaking allow you to play 2vs1.

Chapter Master

Its quite possible to play 2vs1 or even 3vs1 (Librarian is basicly a squad by himself). You can also split the genestealers, but usualy its better not to. The excisting map bits can make quite a large map actualy, but if you get more then one set then you can make realy huge maps that could fit quite alot of players.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorWesJanson View Post
    They don't die! They are just sleeping! And carried away in sleeping bags!

Veteran Sergeant

The Last Stand Campaign presented in White Dwarf 137 had 4 missions that could be played seperately or, if you had the space and enough corridors, all at once, even going so far as to give some additional rules help for those who wanted to do it that way.

I remember 15 years or so ago, playing the game with myself and 7 friends; 4 Imperial, 4 Stealer. Game took a few hours (there was some argueing over rules interpretations plus general messing around with beer and snacks), but fun was had by all. Couldn't tell you which side won to save my life, but I can say it was fun. Not everyone really knew the rules when we started that game, and we had a blast, with both help and trash talk coming from both sides.

Thinking back over it, it seemed best when each player had a specific goal to achieve in mind, and when things were pretty much in a one-on-one (1 Imp to 1 Stealer) situation. Everybody was on the same board, and the Imp side were all using the same time clock to start and stop their turns. The teams felt more "linked" that way, and had a better time.

Frederich

It lends itself to being played by more than two very easily just need lots of board sections and if your not going to have them all you'll have to mark your set. Rule wise a few timers down the board so once the Terminator controlling player starts moving it's covered. Other than that the game just needs to be watch closely, i used to play on maps from 7 sets of the game in 1st Edition with upto 12 people.

What I'd done in the past is have the Genestealers and Terminators split up among the players. With the 2 unit missions form second edition, this meant 1 player controls each unit, and 2 players control the Genestealers.

You could even go so far as to have say, 3 marine players (each control 2 termies each, with 1 maybe only controlling the Sergeant) and 3 for the genestealers. Although that gets a little complicated.
    Formerly the PrimalMage

Joke of the Day

I played 2nd edition with 3 players. 1 as Genestealers and 2 as marines. Each marine player had command of their own 5 man squad (for the 2 squad missions that is). We didn't have a sand timer because 2nd edition didn't use one, but we did have a chess clock.

We set the limit on the clock to 1 hour per side (i.e. a 2 hour game). You weren't limited to a set time limit per turn, but overall had 1 hour to complete your mission.

If you ran out of time when you were the stealers; you simply didn't get anymore re-inforcement blips and had to default on your turns (except to fight; when attacked). The marines however, could still use their time left on the clock to complete the mission and achieve victory; if they still couldn't do so, then they lost.

If you ran out of time when you were the marines, then the game ended immediately in failure.

I was fun and did keep us on a time schedule.

Anyway... Multi-player SH?!?! IT'S FUN!!!!
    :skull: !DEATHWING! :skull:

The version I have done the most is 2v1 with 2 people playing the Marines, one squad each.
    I have also done 2 v 2 as well. The GS players were each assigned specific entrance points on opposite sides of the map if possible, and then they took turns taking blips.

As far as Marine turns go, there are a few ways you can do it, all of which have different affects on the feel of the game:

One turn of the timer, Marines move simultaneously, players can talk. (This is the most "normal" method.)
    One turn of the timer, Marines move simultaneously, players can not talk.
    Two turns of the timer, one per squad, players can talk.
    Two turns of the timer, one per squad, players can not talk.
    Two turns of the timer, one for planning, then Marines move simultaneously, players can talk throughout. (This is very close to "normal" as well.)
    Two turns of the timer, Marines move simultaneously, players can talk.
    Three turns of the timer, one planning, Marines move simultaneously, players can talk.
    Three turns of the timer, one planning, Marines move simultaneously, players can not talk.
    Three turns of the timer, one for planning, then one per squad. Players can only talk during planning stage.

Of course Marine players can talk all they want during the GS turn no matter what, but the second the last GS player says they are done all talking stops and the timer gets turned if ready.

Planning phases are often shorter than the allotted three minutes so having a second timer on hand so you can go straight into moving if planning only takes one minute is very helpful.

Keep in mind that taking turns, even with talking, doesn't always make the game easier than simultaneous turns. Obviously if two squads get close together then separate movement can really mess up your ability to move quickly and efficiently.

Command points are shared, so if someone uses one, on any turn, they are allowed to communicate their use of the point to their teammate. However, their teammate isn't allowed to comment on the use if no communication is allowed at that time. It is first come-first serve on command points.

Hand signals and similar count as talking. So does groaning when someone is doing something, though not when it is the result of a dice roll. If there is a simultaneous turn with no talking a player can announce that he is "done moving this marine." but nothing more. This is primarily to facilitate movement when two squads become co-mingled.
    Last edited by arentol; 19-11-2009 at 05:54.

Brother Sergeant Champer Master Zavian's Avatar
    Middle of Gaming Desert (Pioneer California)

This Thanksgiving, since I have family coming over, I was thinking about running a six player Space Hulk game. The mission that I think lends itself best for this is Exterminate. Simply play it like Horde mode from Gears of War 2. Each player plays a Terminator of their choice (except for the Genestealer player obviously), and pick a room on the board to place their Terminator. The player who kills the most Genestealers before everyone is dead wins. When the blip pile and all of its Genestealers are dead, the dead Terminators come back and choose an empty room to reenter play in. I think that with players who have never played games other than Monopoly or Scrabble could really get into it.

This is a 2-set map made by Bob Long:
    http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/9472/multiplayer.jpg

It has some problems, like too many doors for two sets.

His post is here:
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/48558

He must have got the jpg wrong as I designed that map with Bob.

It used all of the doors IIRC.

It played very well we ran multiple games at Gamesfest 09 without any problems and a good time had by all.
    Got a GW rumour?
    Want to remain anonymous
    Then email me at Brimstone.Warseer@gmail.com

Andy needs your help please order from Heresy Miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by Champer Master Zavian View Post
    This Thanksgiving, since I have family coming over, I was thinking about running a six player Space Hulk game. The mission that I think lends itself best for this is Exterminate. Simply play it like Horde mode from Gears of War 2. Each player plays a Terminator of their choice (except for the Genestealer player obviously), and pick a room on the board to place their Terminator. The player who kills the most Genestealers before everyone is dead wins. When the blip pile and all of its Genestealers are dead, the dead Terminators come back and choose an empty room to reenter play in. I think that with players who have never played games other than Monopoly or Scrabble could really get into it.
    While that may work, and a good time may be had by all, it seems to me like it is more likely to back-fire on you. If the marines play separately then the game becomes one of choosing a choke point, placing your marine there, and rolling dice until you die. Not exactly exciting. Also it will be hard to distribute genestealers in a fair manner to give everyone a chance to get some kills.

I think it would be more fun to let each person control one marine and run 6 marines on a 5 marine mission. The extra marine should help since they are newbs, and this way they get to work together. Let them have all the time they want to move too. Planning together should help build the team feeling, which is usually more fun. Another benefit is that they will likely lose fast the first game (unless you do a LOT of hand holding). but during the game:

One of them will really fark up or otherwise do something funny (accidentally flame himself for instance). which everyone will have a laugh over.
    One or two will probably make a heroic stand or get really lucky. which is exciting.
    One or two will probably do something brilliant and almost get through the mission, but be doomed by the lack of support from the early deaths.

All these things will combine to make them want to play again and win this time. Once they have "solved" the first game and won you can have them do it again but with the timer, or do a different 2-squad mission and have them each control 2 marines. Either one should make it more fun and interesting for them.

I've played many 3 player games - two on marines with a squad each, and one as the genestealers. These work fine. More than one as the stealers gets complicated really unless you have a map that helps keep track of whose models belong to which player.

I have played one eleven player game once as an end game to a normal game day, this was in second ed way back and there was one genestealer player and then one player per marine. With no time limit you'd have to figure this out yourself. What I do recall is that there were arguments over the move order, command point usage etc, but mostly with only one marine each, they were more concerned with self preservation and so most didn't support each other and simple missions became a massacre instead of an easy win. I recall I tried unsuccesfully to tell them to team-play for mutual benefit but we lost in the end. It was fantastic fun though, and I recommend it at least once!
    My Warhammer painting log (High Elves, Vampires, Night Goblins, Skaven and Chaos Warriors: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...11#post4856611

My 40k painting log (Blood Angels, Orks, Tyranids and Eldar: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...11#post5214911