Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: StraightSilver's Macragge PDF (pics soon)

Re: StraightSilver's Macragge PDF (pics soon)

Amazing work. Your style of painting reminds me of my own style.

Chapter Master

Superb tank update! It all comes together so nicely.
    Great work.

Are you planning to kit bash more than just heads with Space Marines and Imperial Guard?
    That would cream the cake (I suck at Wordplays )

Very nice painting.

Cheers guys, and IGoblinego I will probably be mixing up some SM Scout parts but probably not Marine bits, although I am not ruling it out completely at this stage.

And now for a tiny update.

I haven't been able to get any painting done for the last couple of weeks but I have managed to get some other work done.

I have spent the last few days putting things together in preperation for painting. IG are always a bit troop heavy to begin with and I need to get my 1 HQ and 2 Troops choices painted early on, but then can just paint tanks!

So I have assembled another Infantry squad with Autocannon and Plasma gun, but as these look exactly like the last lot I just thought I'd show you the sergeant for now:

Nothing too exciting, just the same chest piece modification and a head from the Catachan Command squad (thanks Ian for this you are a star).

Then my Junior Officer and 2 Plasma Gunners. Just need to assemble Auto Cannon team for this unit:

Last edited by StraightSilver; 08-12-2009 at 12:29.

And finally my Peltasts, or Scout unit. These will be "counts as" Penal Troops, and I think the rules for them actually fit Scouts perfectly.

I have to say I was looking forward to making these the most, but am disappointed with the results so far. I will reserve judgement until they are finished, but right now they just don't look right.

I think it may be due to the Catachan Legs being disproportionately short, or maybe I shouldn't have removed so much of the body armour?

I wanted them to be lightly armoured forward observers, but also to be geared up for assault as they have a good chance of rolling this on their special rules.

I used the Marine Scout heads as I love the Night Vision goggles but I wonder if they might be too big?

Also please ignore the Catachan arms for now. These will have rolled up sleeves greenstuffed on soon, and may also need further shaving down to make them look less "Arnie"

It also doesn't help that that the pics are all a bit out of focus, had problem with the camera last night.

I'm hoping these will look better once I get some paint on them, but I'm now wondering if I should have used different legs, maybe Marine Scout legs?
    Last edited by StraightSilver; 08-12-2009 at 12:31.

to be honest lad, i think they look fine as they are

Great progress so far. The army is shaping up very nicely, keep it up!
    Imperial Guard: The Crimson Guard.
    On the subject of the usefulness of frag grenades on Guardsmen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cook View Post
    "Guardsmen may take rubber duckies for +1 point per model. Every time they have a bath, endless hilarity ensues. Has no in game effect."
    Who would win in a fight between a Ogryn and a Space Marine?
    Quote Originally Posted by olmsted View Post
    easy the ogryn model is tougher then the space marine model. ogryns being made of metal are there fore stronger and tougher then the plastic space marine model. end of debate.

Hi guys, sorry for the lack of updates recently. Unfortunately a combination of bad chest infection and problems with my contact lenses has meant that my painting hasn't been as productive as I would have liked, but I do have something to show you all.

Finally got some paint on these guys, and they are almost finished, just the final bits of detailing and the weapons.

However I had some real problems with the heads and faces on these guys so I may have to go back and redo a fair bit to them, but I am happy with the conversion work now that they have some paint on them.

Obviously still very PIP right now though.

And I have done a tiny, weeny bit more to my Hellhound:

I have also base coated 2 more infantry squads but these are looking pretty messy right now so I didn't take any pics of those.
    Last edited by StraightSilver; 19-01-2010 at 15:37.

Looks class lad, love the scouts

Looks really badass
    The junior Officer is my favourite!

Greetings,
    Ostling

Tyranid gene stealer parts and anniversary Space Marine Parts for sale/trade. PM if you are interested.

Cheers guys, I am pretty pleased with how they have turned out, just got to finish them off and go back and redo some of the eyes and the face on the squad sergeant as I am not very happy with it.

The biggest problem I had with that particular figure is that it wasn't until I started painting it that I realised the head had a tiny miscast/air bubble right on the bridge of its nose.

I thought I could get away with it once painted, but it keeps bugging me as it makes the eyes look wierd.

I also am not fond of the mouth, he has ended up with a very sour faced expression and reminds me too much of old man Steptoe!!

Better pic here:

It doesn't help that the Forge World heads are lovely, but a bit of a pig for me to paint as they are closer to "true scale", I am so used to painting "heroic scale" faces!

And I am not entirely happy with the faces on a few of the other members of the squad, but I think this might actually be because the SM Scout heads aren't the best, but I have done better versions of them in my Cadian Vets so am thinking of going back to them, but at least I can game with them for now.

It's also been suggested that the shoulders look a bit plain without the pads.

I took the pads off to give them a more scout / ranger look, but I do agree that maybe now there is too much bleached bone.

I was thinking of painting a sew on patch onto their left shoulder pads to break it up a bit.

A round blue patch with the white Ultra logo on it (for Ultramar), but am undecided.

What do people think?

Cheers for looking.

TBH lad, i think the shoulders look fine as they are. I didnt even notice the lack of shoulder pads, had to go back and relook at the pics but the ideas you have do sound coolies

Hi Guys,

Well I must admit that I have been rather slack once again!

I just can't seem to get in the right mood for painting at the moment, but I finally have my eyes sorted out and have new contact lenses so I have no excuse now!

Whilst not feeling like painting however I have managed to get some of next month's figures assembled.

This is my take on Iron hand Straken (my favourite character in the new Codex)

I really wanted to field Straken, but obviously my army isn't Catachan so couldn't ise the official figure.

Therefore I used the bionic arm and scarred up face from the Cadian Command squad box as I thought this represented him very well. I left the power sword on as it will for all intents and purposes be a Relic Blade as it has exactly the same stats as Strakens bionics but I think looks better.

The shotgun is from the Necromunda weapons sprue (which GW really should re release!) and his plasma pistol is inside the holster making him WYSIWYG!

The reason this has taken me a while to do though is the green stuffed sash which took ages and more than one attempt. I am still not overly happy with it but have some grenades etc to still add which will cover the bits I really don't like.

I added the sash though to make my Senior Officers look more like the metal Cadian one, which is my favourite IG figure.

It also took several attempts to get the FW Brass etching to stick properly!

And talking of Senior Officers with sashes, I am also working on my version of Ursakaar Creed:

Obviously a very long way to go, but I thought I would show the conversion anyway as I like it principal, although wish my Greenstuff skills were better to pull it off properly.

This one's a tiny bit more involved, but very easy.

Baneblade Tank Commader torso sawn in half with a cadian torso stuck on top. The sah is the again greenstuffed on to make it look like the metal Cadian one.

Adding the sash also bulks up the tank commander legs too, as they are a little bit smaller than the plastic Cadians.

I am just waiting for some Empire Greatsword heads to finish this guy off, and I haven't yet decided what arms to give him. He will also have a pair of holsters to represent his twin hellpistols.
    Last edited by StraightSilver; 03-02-2010 at 11:29.

And then there is also this chap, my Company Standard Bearer:

And again I had some problems with the FW Brass Etch, which is why right now it's a tiny bit messy, but I plan to sort this out tonight.

And lastly the special weapons veterans (melta guns) to go with Straken, although again there's a long way to go on these guys:

The plan is to get both Command Sqauds assembled before the weekend, but then get my brushes out and finish my Infantry Platoon Hellhound as I now only have 4 weeks left to get them done!
    Last edited by StraightSilver; 03-02-2010 at 11:33.

The stuff is looking great, I should stop looking you're making me want to add a regiment to my own Ultras.

Looking good lad, like your take in Straken keep it up, look forward to seeing more

Chaplain

Wow man!
    Just looked through the whole log, love it.
    Esp Straken!

Looks great, can't wait to see the whole stuff painted, especially he banner bearer looks cool.
    Do you have a special hint for brass work? Yours is really looking amazing and all my blades seem to be not sharp enough to work with.

Greetings,
    Ostling

Tyranid gene stealer parts and anniversary Space Marine Parts for sale/trade. PM if you are interested.

Cheers guys, I am very pleased with the Standard Bearer as I have got some very positive feedback on the pose, which is a relief because I had originally planned to do him quite differently but changed my mind at the last minute on a whim.

As for the FW Brass Etchings they are not as bad to work with as I had thought, but they can be frustrating at times as well.

The only pointers I can give are as follows:

When removing them from the sheet (would you call it a sprue/frame?) I cut them off using metal snips, but it is a good idea to then double check that you have removed the frame connector (the bit that attaches it to the sprue/frame) properly, and trim it with a sharp scalpel to make sure you don't get any flash. You can also trim them with snips/clippers but you have to be careful not to bend them, and you can't always get in flush with clippers so a sharp scalpel is best to straighten any edges.

Dry fit them to the surface first to make sure that they will fit, and also to check the sizing is right. The great thing about the FW Brass etch is that it comes in a variety of different sizes, but sometimes they can look bigger once on the model so I tend to play around with them first.

On flat surfaces they are really easy to attach, just a couple of dabs of superglue and they will stick with no problems. The problem I have found is that they stick a bit too well, and so are difficult to manipulate once they contact the model. I therefore use a pair of tweezers to put them in place, which can be frustrating. I also use the superglue with a brush as this allows me to brush a tiny amount on, with things like the Aquillas too much glue will destroy some of the detail.

On curved surfaces, such as shoulder plates etc they are an absolute nightmare! Well, they're not too bad, but I don't like them!

I dry fit them in place and then carefully bend them to fit the curved surface, sometimes using the blunt end of a needle file to help curve them around if my fingers aren't strong enough. You have to be careful though as they scratch quite easily, which probably won't show once undercoated, but I guess it depends on how big the etch is. I haven't had one break on me yet though, they seem to take a fair bit of punishment.

I have found the ones on curved surfaces much trickier to attach, which is hence why some of them have some glue mess around the area, but I will carfully remove this (acetone and cotton bud, or sharp blade) before painting.

And finally, try not to drop them!!! They are next to impossible to find again!! They will also stick to pretty much anything on the way down, so check sleeves and trousers carefully before scrabbling around on the floor. And if you have carpets they tend to get stuck so be careful picking them up or you can bend them!

Hope that helps, they aren't too tricky to use, but up until now I had only ever used them on vehicles, so this is my first attempt at using them on infantry. If anyone has any hints on how best to fit them to curved surfaces please let me know, as so far mine has really been trial and error, a lot of trail but a lot more error.

Cheers.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast