Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Worst Army list/Tactics you've seen

Re: Worst Army list/Tactics you've seen

500 point random objective tournament. I saw space marine terminators.
    I think his list was like, 4 terminators, a rhino, some troops, and scouts.
    He lost every game.
    Including the one against the tyranid player with one synaps. a hive tyrant that was naked. he also had a crapload of genestealers.
    Trials of Morkai: Making every model pass the trials and prove themselves before becoming a Space Wolf.
    My adventures with Nurgle! (painting and conversion log)

I have a 2k pure Grey Knights army with three Land Raiders. Do I win the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser Green View Post
    I have a 2k pure Grey Knights army with three Land Raiders. Do I win the thread?
    Depends, did you take just 2 squads of 5 GKs, then filled the rest of the points with Terminators with TH+SS and took all the wargear and powers you could fit?

Haha, dear Emperor no. I took three squads of ten PAGKs with a psycannon each to ride in them, a Brother-Captain HQ with Psycannon, and his retinue of 5 GKTs with another Psycannon to Deep Strike into terrain and die.

The worst list I've ever seen was a Codex: Witch Hunters "Adeptus Arbites" army. It was based around inquisitorial stormtroopers carrying shotguns, on the theory that they would be useful in assault. Yeah...
    "That thou wouldst bring them only death,/ That thou shouldst spare none,/ That thou shouldst pardon none/ We beseech thee, destroy them."

-Battle Hymn of the Adepta Sororitas

Shockingly some people subscribe to the Rule of Cool not Rule of Nob Bikers Or Nothing Else.

Shockingly some people subscribe to the Rule of Cool not Rule of Nob Bikers Or Nothing Else.
    And not so shockingly these people have created some of the worst lists/tactics of all time. Which is the topic of this thread.
    "That thou wouldst bring them only death,/ That thou shouldst spare none,/ That thou shouldst pardon none/ We beseech thee, destroy them."

-Battle Hymn of the Adepta Sororitas

How about a shooty all khorne marked army? No mêlée troops, everything was built for ranged combat, but they had mark of khorne....

But worst I have ever seen was back in 3rd edition, in a tournament, when a tyranid player had 1 group of synapse creatures (3 warriors as a HQ) and ~3-5 large groups of gaunts (don't remember exact number). He had no metal models at all in his army, apart from a lictor or two...

Advancing Terminators on foot. No transports, no deep strike. Just the long, grueling march that let's me ignore your incredibly expensive unit for three turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki73 View Post
    There are people out there that dont make uber lists. They use what they bought cause they like the minis. Or fluff. They play for FUN. ITS A HOBBY. HOBBY not a lacrosse game.
    So? Why would 40k being a hobby make you want to play badly? I do martial arts for a hobby as well. That still doesn't mean that when asked to throw a gyaku-zuki I feel compelled to randomly flail my arm in front of me. In short, just because you do something for pleasure doesn't mean you can't have some basic standards, or respect the fact that it's a game that you can learn and get better at. Fluff can easily be reconciled with better armies and tactics without ever having to touch the more, as you say, "uber lists".

See above. 'Not playing badly' does not equal 'Win at all costs'.
    An Exercise in Loyalty - Imperial Guard vs Blood Angels (2000 points), ooh pictures!

Hall of Fame - Best 40k pics old and new.

I think the worst I've seen was an all Gretchin army. He had hundreds of gretchin filling up 1,500 points with 2 Mek HQ's using their force fields.
    Funnilly he couldn't fit them all onto the board because we rolled a 'corners' deployment .
    Imperius Wargaming Last Update: January 4: Vote For Our Next 40k Battle Report!

Vote on my friends, I'm back and coming with an endless list of battle reports. According the polls you guys want:

Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar, Orks. In our next battle report.

Most of the "playing badly" boils down to people playing their armies WYSIWYG and simply being too poor to afford the good units. That, or your codex is just plain outdated.

Beyond this, sometimes you have no excuse, which I think is the point of this thread. I once saw a full-30 Mech Sternguard (all combi-Plasma, with a few real Plasmas sprinkled here and there) + Kantor + 2x5 Scout list get demolished by Nidzilla Choir. I wanted to shake my head and facepalm at the epic fail.
    100 Gaunts on the field to shoot down, 100 Gaunts on the field, you shoot just one, then reload your gun, 99 Gaunts still alive to shoot down
    92% of people are very gullible and do whatever they read in someone's signature. If you are part of the 8% who don't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firaxin View Post
    Of course an autistic kid would go 3-0 with that list, autistic kids are ******* smart, man. Just don't expect him to talk much during the battle.

Can i win?

I'm building a SW army with 17 figures, an no scoring units (troop choice is wolves). Please say I win!
    In all seriousness i am building a Thunder wolf cav army just for the modeling and look of it, i think that there is a place for bad lists that are cool.
    'And they shall know a sensible amount of fear'

Quote Originally Posted by Mannimarco View Post
    i once saw a tau gunline, 1 (yes 1) crisis suit as the commander with a horde of fire warriors
    Old codex Imperial Guard lasgun spam. One of the few armies that a Tau gunline will defeat effortlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by AFnord View Post
    How about a shooty all khorne marked army? No mêlée troops, everything was built for ranged combat, but they had mark of khorne....
    I bet I could make this work with the CSM dex...

After all, the Icon of Khorne is one of the cheaper Icons, and you can get a ridiculous number of MEQ onto the table when you don't buy cult troops.

Can you imagine a hundred or so MEQ with 3 attacks on the defense, 4 on the charge, but are geared for ranged warfare? You can get that into 2000pts with plenty of points for Heavy Support and HQ left over.
    ISO: Terminators for my Deathwing (see my wanted ad).

'Remember brothers, aim for their necks, Khorne wants their skulls!'

Not quite on the same level as frothing loonies with chain axes, but it has potential.
    Occasionally accused of being helpful and constructive.
    One ring Book to rule them all, one ring place to find them, One ring Codex to bring them all, and in the Darkness future bind them. Time for the unified Marine Codex.

Imperius, that all grot army looks like one of the best lists ever devised by anyone. If it was facing an enemy entirely consisting of infantry, I can actually see it almost working, too...
    Now just doing Battle Reports.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191378 for the Red Guards

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196677 for my Imperial Guard.)

"this is the best 40k stuff I have ever read." (Carltmc)

I think the worst I've seen was a local Blood Angel player, prebuscent (of course), with an army consisting of only jump pack equiped units and a dreadnought. Ok, no problem there, just a bit slanted but it COULD work. Then he gave them all drop pods. Then after I told him they could not take drop pods and they didn't really need 'em anyway as they can already deep strike, he decided to deep strike the whole army.

He was playing against a Newbie and a club Tyranid army which was a mix of stealers, a carnie, a tyrant and a handful of gaunts. They dropped down one by one and each unit that landed just got pounced on and murdered one after the other.

He's a cocky bastard too, as I recall...

Quote Originally Posted by Awilla the Hun View Post
    Imperius, that all grot army looks like one of the best lists ever devised by anyone. If it was facing an enemy entirely consisting of infantry, I can actually see it almost working, too...
    4thed, played a mate in 1,500pts....He had what looked like over 150 gretchins on the field plus a few powerklaw armed nobs, or something like that, and I had around 70-90 odd. Now for a Nid player who plays balanced/horde lists...seeing an army with that many more models than you is a scary event. The fact that after he destroyed my entire army by turn 4 he then went on to play 3 of the best players in the store and table them as well....lets just say don't underestimate gretchins

A necron gunline list in 1000pts...didn't work to well, that said I think my genestealers outflanking from both edges and catching him in a pincer wasn't much help ^^
    A guide to cows and politics:
    TOTALITARIANISM: You have two cows. The government takes them and denies they ever existed. Milk is banned.
    CAPITALISM: You have two cows. You sell one and buy a bull OR you slaughter the cows & compete with McDonalds.
    DICTATORSHIP: You have two cows. The government takes both and shoots you.

My friend's mech BT list in 4th ed. He'd basically block his own LOSs with his tanks constantly and the goal of his list was to unload naked bolter squads to fire at the enemies most powerfull CC units.

Not only did he not use any of the strenghts of his army, his plan was completely retarded. He stopped playing the army, but not before being told numerous times why he was always losing and even playing against another one of my friend who borrowed the BTs to show him how they needed to work by actually winning with them against the poor guy's SOBs.

Luckily for my friend, he has the most insane luck, so when he uses his SOBs or Daemons he can just let the invulnerable saves do the talking.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming like the other people in his car.

Got those old 5th edition lizardmen collecting dust? PM me, I really need more metal skinks with javelins.

The worst list I've ever seen was a Codex: Witch Hunters "Adeptus Arbites" army. It was based around inquisitorial stormtroopers carrying shotguns, on the theory that they would be useful in assault.
    You know what? I wanna see that. Done properly of course; load up a few smaller squads with meltaguns, have immolators as repressors etc. It could do pretty well if you knew what you were doing, and the theme would be damn awesome.

Worst army I've ever seen? Nightbringer in 750pts still takes the cake for me, especially against 3.5 Guard. Two turns shooting with a russ, two dead squads of warriors, phase out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthor's Shadow View Post
    Poly, Step away from the keyboard. Slowly turn around. Put both hands on the wall with palms flat. Bring head back slowly. Ram forehead into wall. Repeat till unconscious.
    Ardent hater of the Space Marine Chaplin.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast