Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhino Mk II conversion to Mk. I Prehersey w/ template

Rhino Mk II conversion to Mk. I Prehersey w/ template

The files can be found here for download from Bolter and Chainsword.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/i...uthor&id=20982

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Warseer,

I am considering making a preheresy force of iron warriors, but wanted to include the proper rhino's for the army. In any event this led to a conversion to turn the rhino into the older variant. Currently I only have the sides developed, but am continuing to work on them. The cutting is fairly rough, but I have the file on CAD and will ultimatey get it laser cut.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, If anyone would like the file, pm me your email, and I can send you the template that has both side of the rhino... just make sure you dont scale it when you print. The back end needs to be cut down slightly by about a millimeter, but otherwise its a perfect match. Ill fix it later tomorrow. But for anyone not wanting to laser cut this still works fine. Anyways I'll shut up and onto the pics...

The inspiration:

Components:

Assembled:

Last edited by DeSnifter; 12-05-2011 at 05:13.

Veteran Sergeant

Re: Rhino Mk II conversion to Mk. I Prehersey w/ template

Never thought I would see this. You should see my grin :P

Chapter Master

At last! People have experimented with, and succeeded in doing "Mk. I Preheresy" Bolters and Power Armour patterns (coupled with smart use of Forgeworld Preheresy Landraiders and the Dark Angels Jetbike) but so far I've not seen anyone convert the better "Mk. II Rhino" into its Mk. I predecessor.

Scale-wise this is by far better than using the old workhorse.

Absolutely splendid! You should be prepared for a lot of E-mails for the templates, both from hobby veterans and those doing Preheresy Legions, but also from younger uns (such as myself) wanting some "antique Mk. variation" amongst their Rhino cohort. Just excellent, and begging for some additional decorations.
    Last edited by Bladelord; 18-10-2009 at 10:30. Reason: Scale.

I love this thing!
    I cannot wait to see it painted
    Fear the Space Beavers.
    The Beavers Painting Log

Absolutely fantastic..............

Been workin on the rhino today, working on the template so that the sides will be as close to the old rhino as possible. In addition I am making the templates so that there will be the old style double armour plates on the front. In addition I'm making a top hatch that is along the lines of the old rhino. When these templates are finished I will email them out to everyone who pm'ed me, and I will also post a tutorial for how to assemble the rhino if anyone is interested. I'm looking to have the templates finished and accurate by the end of the week.

Im going to try and make these templates as accurate as possible so people have to do as little work as possible... myself included

Here is the current progress:

Post a picture of a MK1 rhino and a MK2 side by side so we can see the differences!

Looking exellent so far though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcheur View Post
    Note to 40k players : switching to historicals will get you laid.
    \m/ Metalheads of WarSeer \m/ <- click

Please visit my random project log!

Nice work so far can't wait to see it progress.

Great stuff. I'm working on two Death Guard Rhinos right now and I think Mk1-ifying them would be quite appropriate.
    Of all the threads in all the forums in all the world you had to post into this one.

Re: Rhino Mk II conversion to Mk. I Preheresy w/ template

Hello everyone and thanks for the support. The templates are almost finished. I made a third mock up tonight, and they were only off by 1/32 of an inch which should be fixed by tomorrow. The entire kit fits on an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper fortunately, but I will try and fit it on A4 for the non US folks. The kit seems to be working fine, and I made some slight modifications from the first iteration.

The major change was the size increase in the grills on the sides of the rhino. On the old mk 1 they were very significant compared to the scale of the tank, so I increased them on mine, and I think they look much better. I also made the old rhino top hatch which I think makes a big difference.

Im also looking into ways to use parts of the mk 2 kit to make bits for the mk 1 kit. The two examples you'll see in these photos being the cut down hatch covers to make the good ol' fashioned bolter domes, and the use of the vision slits to spare everyone a plasticard headache.

Additionally the template has placement for all the rivets to spare those from trying to make them evenly spaced. There is an unavoidable gap between the plates along the top of the tracks, that will be need to be filled with green stuff, or left alone if you cant be bothered. Tomorrow I will post pics of it hopefully finished on the one side, and painted (if one side works, they both do) If anyone has some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

Anyways time to shut up and onto the pictures.

First off a comparison for Commisar Cain:

A comparison with the inspiration:

Some of the closer detail:

And finally, a shot with the first template to give a better idea of the finished product:

The template should be done withing the next 2 days, and to those of you who pm'ed me, I will sent it out as soon as it is finished. Thanks again for the support, and If anyone has suggestions or feedback, I'd love to hear it!

Oh, and apologies for the crappy pics, I only had my phone handy.

They are looking so good i think i may well have to do a few for me SW army.

The pic's btw are great even if they are off a phone

I'm in LOVE.
    May have to whip my marines up a few.
    Current projects:
    Crone World Eldar
    Slann

Oh my gods, I so needs some of those templates!

PM sent!
    RSPCA - Royal Society for the Preservation of Craftworld Avatars. Put a stop to Avatar abuse. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortheempire View Post
    Plus what could Lorgar possibly be meditating on for 9-10 thousand years? Was he producing Guns N Roses last album?

Thanks for the feedack guys!

The update today comes in the form of a bolter tutorial. I'm sure those of you fond of the old mk1's will remember the old bolterdomes with the little bolters. Well I figured out a way to make them as easily as possible.

The cupola's that come with the Mk2 were way to big so I wanted to minimize them and make them as close to the Mk1 as possible.

Materials Needed:
    2x space marine bolters
    2x set of rhino hatch covers
    hobby knife
    hobby file

the first step is to remove the necessary components from the rhino hatches. The red parts are the parts you want to remove from the hatches. In addition to removing them with a hobby knife, you can use the hobby knife and file to smooth the "tab" ends to make the dome completely rounded. The bolter you just remove the handle and the magazine, although it is not completely necessary to remove the magazine.

You then place the dome parts into the cupola, and have a gap as seen in the photo that the bolter sits perfectly into. The rhight side cupola requires the placement of some plasticard under it. 2 pieces in the case of my plasticard. This will ensure that the two bolter domes are even, as they are not even on the Mk2 model.

You then place the bolter into the domes and viola! you have the old style bolter domes for this Mk1 rhino. Once glued, you may want to green stuff the gap between the "teeth" of the dome, so it looks even more like the old MK1. But when you are finished it should look something like this.

I'm going to finish the templates tonight, but no promises, as I just got hit with the flu.

Thanks again for the support guys, and as soon as this is finished I'll email it out.

Terribly sorry for the double post, but I finished the template, and am going to email it out to those of you who pm'ed me. The template has all the details needed in addition to the proper plasticard width to use. I appreciate the support, and am going to continue working on this rhino so that those of you who are interested get the chance to see the finished product. I'm going to include a rivet tutorial for anyone who is interested as well.

This kit only requires the rhino Mk2 and 2 sheets plasticard. Unfortunately, the handles from the imperial guard tank sprue need to be used, but even if you don't have any of those lying around I'm sure you can find someone who does. They arent critical though, only if you want them on your roof hatches.

Anyways off to bed, feeling worse by the minute haha.

Forgot to mention, when placing the plasticard pieces, you will need to shave off the rivets and any other compoenets that obstruct flat placement. This template was designed for flat surfaces, so if there is something sticking out where a piece is going to go, get rid of it!
    Last edited by DeSnifter; 21-10-2009 at 04:58.

Chapter Master

Jummy.

Be prepared to be bombarded with PM:s, and be prepared to put it up on a website somewhere for your own integrity.

You've done a hell of a job, and the best with it, is that your template Rhino conversion looks better than both the original Mk. I and the standard Mk. II!

It's honestly the best Rhino I've ever seen. GW should hire you to redesign the kit.
    Current projects:
    Crone World Eldar
    Slann

*drools and rapidly dashes off for a towel*

Just when i thought you had it mastered it you went and did it even better expect a pm for the templates.

Thank you for the prompt email
    Last edited by grissom2006; 21-10-2009 at 14:56.

PMed

if you get tired of the pms i surgest making a free account on mediafire.com, you can then upload the file there and just stick a link up. makes it easy all round.
    Step forth and be recognized.
    No mercy. No pity. No hope.

I'll wait till you come back and tell us you've survived the flu to send the PM, but... OMG! (as my 8 yr old daughter would say) That's a magnificent bit of work. I really like how you went to the effort to replicate the old twin bolter hatches. Very well done.
    "As a rule of thumb, the designers do not hide "easter eggs" in the rules. If clever reading is required to unlock some sort of hidden option, then it is most likely just a result of wishful thinking." Pete Haines
    It's a turret. A TURRET! Got it? There is no such thing as a turrent.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast