Page 3 of 147 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Forces of Warmachine: Books and New Models

Re: Forces of Warmachine book thread

Quote Originally Posted by loveless View Post
    Lurk on Privateer's forums like I do? Okay, I post, too, but they're not as much fun as here.
    With the amount of posts you have there, I'd also be wary of using the term "lurker"

I've heard them described as being very generic - a sort of quality "everyman" sculpt that's perfectly fitting for the Khadoran Winterguard. Forward Kommander Kratikoff will be pleased.
    I don't know if I'd use the term "generic". I'd say that they are neither outstanding nor bad minis. But yeah, it is rather fitting for line troops. Fine by me if the outstanding and flashy sculpts are reserved for the elites.

Commander

Cygnar Firefly
    http://privateerpress.com/files/imag.../Firefly09.png

-Freaking AWESOME!-

the question is: dose this mean we are seeing plastic lights or merely resculpts of the old light chassis for anything new?
    Last edited by Dais; 20-11-2009 at 19:14.

Whoa, the Firefly is cool!

Easily the best Cygnar light IMO.

It probably isn't, but elements like the head does look a lot like plastic...

I thought plastic at first, given that it's just the Charger chassis. However, there's no mention of it in the description, nor is there any mention of the other Charger lights (Lancer, Sentinel). I'm guessing metal (though I'd love to be proven wrong, as light 'jack kits would make me quite happy. Given how the Retribution handled it, I wouldn't expect it, though). Looks like it should go alongside the Storm units pretty well.

The light warjacks commissioned by the Cygnaran Armory set the standard by which all light ’jacks are judged. The original Charger chassis has proven an excellent platform for versatile and deadly machines. The Firefly is the most recent variant of the Charger chassis and possesses cutting-edge electro-mechanika capable of frying opponents to a crisp.

Uploaded the picture for quick reference, too.
    ...and a little help comes in a little glass vial in a gun pressed against her anatomy...

Things I'd love to do if I had limitless money: a new Salamanders army for 40K; a new Dark Elf army for Fantasy; an Emperor's Children force for HH *sigh*

Cool... It's a giant walking Taser. Who doesn't love a giant walking Taser?
    If I'm wrong Im sure someone will correct me. Hell, even if Im right someone will correct me.
    There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Jon 'Brimstone' Wilson... We will remember.

Commander

plastic or metal its gorgeous.
    the signs that make me think plastic are mostly the disparity of this jack and older jacks on the same chassis. if youve seen thorn (the jack which this model is mostly based on) compared to a normal lancer they dont even look alike. this thing is most definitely larger than a current light as well. would PP want that difference between two non-unique jacks with the same core build?

Quote Originally Posted by Dais View Post
    plastic or metal its gorgeous.
    the signs that make me think plastic are mostly the disparity of this jack and older jacks on the same chassis. if youve seen thorn (the jack which this model is mostly based on) compared to a normal lancer they dont even look alike. this thing is most definitely larger than a current light as well. would PP want that difference between two non-unique jacks with the same core build?
    Good points. We could be in store for resculpts of the base chassis of each Faction to make them a bit more in line with the new 'jack aesthetic. It would bring them closer to the appearance of the unique 'lights in each faction (Thorn, Blessing of Vengeance...Cankerworm, less so).

Cryx would be an interesting lot. Bonejacks are cheap as it is, and only the arc node versions bother with the same chassis. The Stalker, Helldiver, and Cankerworm are all unique.

We'll have to see if the Protectorate light (assuming they get one, too) is as kitted out with fire as the Firefly seems to be with electricity.
    ...and a little help comes in a little glass vial in a gun pressed against her anatomy...

Things I'd love to do if I had limitless money: a new Salamanders army for 40K; a new Dark Elf army for Fantasy; an Emperor's Children force for HH *sigh*

Man that Light jack looks good. I really like the beefed up chasis, but then if it's metal that'll surly mean a higher price tag? (something PP would try to avoid IIRC) Finger crossed that this baby is plastic and it's chassis is used to update other lights. Maybe MechanicalHorizon can enlighten us as he's sculpted some of the bits for this guy too.

http://mechanicalhorizon.deviantart.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius_Baltar View Post
    the Orange again has a pretty good idea.

I really, really like the Firefly, my favorite Cygnar light 'jack and possibly my favorite light 'jack out of all the factions. I hope that Protectorate gets a new light that cool. (Anyone else sad the Privateer Press forums are down? I want to see the reactions of the good 'ol boys.)

Fairplay Cygnar have had some pretty awesome models. I hope Menoth gets the same treatment.

In case we didn't have enough Bone Nodes (why does that sound dirty? damn you, Cryx!)...

The Ripjaw

The Ripjaw’s pincer-like jaws are used to hold its victims in place while its bone saw cuts them into mangled and unidentifiable bits. Necrotechs take particular delight in using the Ripsaw, as the ’jack efficiently dismembers its victims into component pieces. Regardless of these lethal armaments, the Ripjaw remains quick and agile like its brethren and serves its master by maneuvering its arc node to wherever required to disrupt the plans of the enemies of Cryx.

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine...arjacks/ripjaw

I have to tell you to look at the 3-d rotation, because at the angle the photo is in, it just looks like a Deathripper. There is, in fact, a pincer system instead of a lower jaw. These pincers feed up into a buzzsaw.

Here's what I don't get: The chain/buzz-saw in Warmachine has previously been attributed to Sustained Attack (See: Renegade). However, doesn't the Deathripper already have Sustained Attack? I'm not sure what the Ripjaw does other than provide another arc node.

This beastie is sharper looking than his brethren. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but it looks like there's some disconnect between the skull and the chassis - implying to me that it could be a seperate bit. This makes me think it would be very easy to swap out the heads for Defiler, Deathripper, and Nightwretch versions. In other words, I'm not convinced this isn't plastic, even though it doesn't say it is. The construction (of the model) just looks different enough from the other Bone Nodes to raise my suspicions.

Commander

looks neat and sounds like it produces scrap thralls or something when i kills living troops.

thats the same old chassis isnt it? no resculpt like firefly?

Quote Originally Posted by Dais View Post
    looks neat and sounds like it produces scrap thralls or something when i kills living troops.

thats the same old chassis isnt it? no resculpt like firefly?
    Well, I think I have the bases pretty close in size...you tell me if it looks like a resculpt

EDIT: That size difference is incredibly apparent..but the bases look the same size to me, given the difference in angle. Apparently the Ripjaw is the "Big Brother" of the Bone Nodes...either that or they're all getting upscaled just like the Heavies are.

Did anyone do a comparison of a Lancer to a Firefly?
    Last edited by loveless; 23-11-2009 at 16:57.

Hum, definitely thinking plastic here, and it gives me hope that the firefly might be too. If someone did a comparison no one would know since the PP forums went down when they showed it on the main page. My guess is that it's probably similar in size to Thorn the character jack, and it's pretty obvious it's beefier then the old sculpts (at least IMO). Actually it'd scare me if they weren't plastic simply because their price's would skyrocket from the amount of metal they'd require. I have to say I kind of like the older one, this one seems a little bit sparse on the details for some reason, maybe because it's carapace is not as rounded.

And thanks for the size comparison, the scale difference is frankly shocking.

Well, I think I have the bases pretty close in size...you tell me if it looks like a resculpt

EDIT: That size difference is incredibly apparent..but the bases look the same size to me, given the difference in angle. Apparently the Ripjaw is the "Big Brother" of the Bone Nodes...either that or they're all getting upscaled just like the Heavies are.

Did anyone do a comparison of a Lancer to a Firefly?
    "Big Brother" eh?

***prays for more ARM on the bone chicken***

My best guess as to the weapon is that it can create scrap thralls, as Dais mentioned. Or perhaps the "holds them in place" pincers gives a penalty to DEF or SPD of enemy models in their melee range?

Maybe a free headlock/weapon lock with the pincers? I guess we'll just have to wait.
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought, which they seldom use."
    - Soren Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by The Orange View Post
    And thanks for the size comparison, the scale difference is frankly shocking.
    Yeah, I keep thinking that I did something wrong because the Ripjaw is freaking HUGE compared to a Deathripper.

Quote Originally Posted by manstein1973 View Post
    "Big Brother" eh?

***prays for more ARM on the bone chicken***
    That was just me pointing out how monstrous RJ is compared to the others.

My best guess as to the weapon is that it can create scrap thralls, as Dais mentioned. Or perhaps the "holds them in place" pincers gives a penalty to DEF or SPD of enemy models in their melee range?

Maybe a free headlock/weapon lock with the pincers? I guess we'll just have to wait.
    I'm betting that it can do locks with its jaws, now that you mention it. I keep forgetting that 'jacks need open fists to do that, typically. Warbeasts don't necessarily have that restriction, and I primarily play a Hordes faction...not that we have a lot of Open Fists/Claws or Jaws (unless Absylonia is around...).

That's actually probably the best assumption - that thing looks like it can do locks, and sounds like it can as well. Lock and sustained attack? Deathripper+, essentially then...hmm...I want the rules now.

My guess is that it's probably similar in size to Thorn the character jack, and it's pretty obvious it's beefier then the old sculpts (at least IMO).
    [Double post]

Prize goes to The Orange for calling it. In Mk. II - scale means NOTHING.

Alright, I've got recommendations for people making 'jack purchases now:

1) Do not buy the metal 'jacks unless you haven't liked the plastics or other new 'jacks thus far - it looks like they will be out of scale.
    2) As an exception to 1, Battleboxes are still a great value, regardless of the size of the 'jacks within.
    3) Character 'jacks should be in scale with the new releases. These include:
    ----Thunderhead
    ----Ol' Rowdy
    ----Thorn
    ----Behemoth
    ----Beast 09
    ----Drago
    ----The Avatar of Menoth
    ----Fire of Salvation
    ----Blessing of Vengeance
    ----The Deathjack
    ----Nightmare
    ----Cankerworm
    4) All Retribution Myrs are current and won't be getting resculpts for quite some time - go for them if you want.

Now, I don't know that the lights will be getting resculpted. But we've seen 2 lights now that are dramatically larger than their counterparts. Obviously it's down to personal preference, but I feel you should be cautious if prepping an army. We usually get updates on Mondays, though they've been going twice a week lately. This may or may not slow down with the Hordes Field Test coming up later this week. We will find out.
    Last edited by loveless; 23-11-2009 at 19:55.

You know the funny thing about that list? The Avatar of Menoth was iirc out of scale due to a miss-communication between the sculptor and designers and is smaller then it should have been.

Spot on again with the size comparison loveless. Now just to wait and hope for plastic conformation. And if we see that, then maybe we'll also see re-issues of the battle box's with plastic re-sculpts! (Khador is pretty much set to go as is)

You know the funny thing about that list? The Avatar of Menoth was iirc out of scale due to a miss-communication between the sculptor and designers and is smaller then it should have been.
    This is true - the Avatar and the Behemoth both suffer from weird scaling, imo - however, with all 4 of the Apotheosis 'jacks having a unique chassis, I don't see them being redone anytime soon. As such, they're probably safe bets.

The Avatar really needs a new sword though...since he has Reach now

The scaling is concerning. I wouldn't mind scaling issues in Hordes for beasts - they can be different sizes and I won't really care - but 'jacks? Oy, that Ripjaw is going to dwarf my other Bones, and I don't care for that.

Luckily I haven't really expanded my 'jack collection much, so there's not a ton to redo, but I get the feeling I'm really going to want to redo the few I have.

Wow, that Ripjaw is huge!

I love the new sculpts PP are tossing out...oh..and that we're getting to see them a couple of months before release.

After I've redone my Nids I am going to see if I can reanimate interest in WM/H around here.

Page 3 of 147 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast