Page 355 of 355 FirstFirst ... 255 305 345 353 354 355
Results 7,081 to 7,087 of 7087

Thread: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

It (2017)

I rather liked this. It looks really good with a fantastic eighties feel about it. A few jump scares and some creepy stuff will please the horrorphiles. There is some well placed low key humour as well.
    But there is an issue: its so eighties it feels like a horror film from that decade. It uses so many horror cliches ( abandoned old house, party getting split up, going upstairs instead of out the door etc etc) that instead of being scary, I was laughing at it rather a lot, something not intended by the film makers.
    There is unsettling horror here - evil child abuse dad being one, but for me it was over shadowed by silly cliches. Maybe I'm not the intended audience, maybe this is a horror film for the new generation who haven't seen any of the silly tat eighties horror films.
    Hopefully part two will be more unsettling. "Wanna balloon Georgie? They float down here. They all do....."

Watch (with a pinch of salt)

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
    I watched the new series of MST3k- The Return! with Jonah.

I was suitably amused for most of the movies. Starcrash is like my arch-nemesis as I have tried to watch it 7 times but only failed to fall asleep once. Even the MST3K version of it was barely enough to keep me going. That movie is brutal!

The Christmas that Almost Wasn't and Yongary were surprisingly tepid episodes as well.

Otherwise, bang-up job and I hope they do another season! I was suitably amused! A bit of a surprise ending for the over-arching story too.
    Hmmm, still on the fence if I should give the new series a go. But maybe it's fun....

Looney Tunes: Back in Action

A lot of big names.

The best scene was a throw-away of Scooby and Shaggy reaming Matthew Lillard for his performance as Shaggy in Scooby-Doo.

This is a movie that likes to make fun of Hollywood.

There was also a Ro-man cameo which is a plus!
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Monster time!

Godzilla (2014)
    Hollywoods re-reboot of the big G. This is a serious Godzilla film, dumping the pointless humour of the last hollywood godzilla which is a good step. On the way them seem to have also dumped characters you care about. Every character is a silly clichéd cardboard cut out. Brian Cranston does the best he can (by far the best performance in this film) but he gets the chop too early, leaving the rest of the cast to carry the film, but who you want to get smashed by the lizard instead.
    It looks and sounds great, and the monsters look fine. City destruction is satisfying too. I rather like the setting up of a cinematic universe, but its not shoved into your face like Universals 'dark universe' - see my Mummy review earlier.
    If you like Godzilla, you'll like this. It'll work as an action / adventure film for others too.

Watch - on rental, with a beer.

Kong: Skull island (2016)

Speaking of a new monster cinematic universe, here's the second entry.
    This is pitched as serious, but its bloody stupid in a fun way. There's not much to say about this apart from its a silly adventure romp with another set of cliché characters, many of whom come to a sticky end.
    As with Godzilla, it looks and sounds great, the monsters are very good. This ramps up the shared universe started in Godzilla and the after credits scene hints at possible monsters to come (mothra, king ghidora etc).
    Its stupid, you will laugh.

watch (on rental, most definitely with beer)

Shin Godzilla (2016)

Meanwhile, at Toho studios, the home of Godzilla, we have another reboot. This is a serious Godzilla film, all the camp and humour removed, and bought up to date.
    This one changes the Godzilla origin slightly and focusses on the attempts of puny humans to deal with the threat, and the political machinations in the background.
    The version I watched may have had slightly iffy subtitles, as occasionally I was left scratching my head. I will say I thought the film a little slow, not enough action and too much talking. However this is in the vein of the original film, building suspense. Godzilla is also scary in this film, so a welcome return to his roots.
    It looks good, with only a few wobbly special effects.
    A little slow, one for Godzilla purists only I think. Its not one for a fun film night in.

watch (but only if you're a Godzilla fanboy)

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Spiderman : Homecoming
    Okay, so I recalled watching *something* a day or two ago but I had to really think very hard before I managed to recall what it was.
    Surprisingly forgettable, entertaining to watch but ultimately doesn't do anything particularly unusual or exceptional.

3/5
    Marvel's Spiderman is decent and it'll be interesting to see where they go with it.

Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Thor: Ragnarok- Guardians of the Galaxy 3: No Guardians of the Galaxy this time!

Despite my snark, the movie was fun enough to watch, but it was nothing great. Hela was really fun and Cate Blanchett plays it up well. Grandmaster is a hoot, but Jeff Goldblum can always ham it up. Skrouge and Loki are a bit wasted.

This movie is full of jokes. Depsite that, the theatre I was in almost never laughed. It was wierd.

Finally, this is the most "Metal" of all the Marvel movies! There were a few shots that looked like they came right off the cover of an Amon Amarath album. The director also really understands that this is a movie informed by drawn artwork and has some really striking almost frozen shots that look like they could have been ripped staright from a frame.

I would recommend people rent it.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
    Luc Besson has a go at putting a thousand ideas into a short film to pad it out to over a couple of hours.
    A few of them are rather good, most are not.

Watchable
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Page 355 of 355 FirstFirst ... 255 305 345 353 354 355