Page 352 of 353 FirstFirst ... 252 302 342 350 351 352 353 LastLast
Results 7,021 to 7,040 of 7050

Thread: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

By silly chance I watched two music documentaries over the past 12 hours

Searching for Sugar Man (2012)

Yar, I finally saw it! That documentary everybody has to watch since it was released. And it really is a good one. It's about a singer-songwriter who went by the name of Rodriguez by the early 1970s. He never was any successful commercially or on a broad level except for in South Africa where to white alternative juves protesting Apartheid his albums were THE thing. he was also played on national radio, apart from some songs which were forbidden (including the now famous Sugar Man song).

Nobody never knew anything about the artist himself though. There were crazy rumours that he either shot himself or sat himself on fire on stage after an unsuccessful gig. Either way, everybody took him for dead. Until Two dudes from South Africa who had been searching for info on this guy actually found out that he's still alive in the late 1990s.

The docu first talks about the significance of the artist to people in South Africa, the Search itself and then the stuff that happened afterwards.

It's not all too much about the music itself, more about life, what music can mean to people, the crazy ways of the music industry back then and so on. Very interesting. Good documentary. Makes you feel nice.

Watch It. (all your friends who kept on saying that you should watch this were right)

Fraktus (2012)

Another documentary about music! This time it's about Fraktus, who pioneered the Techno scene in Germany in the early 1980s. They dissolved after just a few years due to differences and haven't spoken since. The dude who does the documentary seeks them out and brings them back together to attempt a comeback.

It's a band mockumentary like we've seen a handful over the past years. This one's German though and it's about a very particularly German thing, and it's by the three gentlemen of Studio Braun, a radio-based comedy group. They do have a really good grasp on comedy about human shortcomings and depression. And they do know their music (at the very least Rocko Schamoni and Jürgen Dose/Heinz Strunk are musicians of their own. You never hear that much about the third guy, Jaques Palminger.). And they've been around at the time and most probably in the scene this one's about. We follow around how the documentary filmer is meeting the each of the three (one's always been the one that developed a knack forcommercial success and now produces horrifying party music in Mallorca, the second one, former front man, is an ever-optimistic but incapable owner of an internet café now and the third one, the musical mastermind, works in his parents' optician shop and runs Fractus II with them, making insane electronic music experiments.) and gets the idea of establishing himself over this documentary. It's a cynical, yet great companion piece to Searching for Sugar Man.

This film is fun. At three occasions I had to laugh out loud because it gets so ridiculous and it's all so futile. It's not a great film, but perfectly entertaining.

Watch It, simply because you rarely see the three actually do a film project together and the film's pretty good at stabbing at sensationalist documentaries and reality tv.

Chapter Master

Lego Batman

If you are not a fan of the 1960's Batman, than you might not like it much. My family are students of 1960's Batman, so it was a good time.

This reminded me of Austin Powers. When I was in the theatre, I didn't laugh much. However, as I thought about it after the references and jokes sank in more, and made me laugh after the movie was over.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Get Out

I wanted to go in clean to see this so I didn't listen to a reviews or watch trailers, blanked out all talk regarding it etc

Im not sure if it's a clever portrayal of everyday racism or a satire on poor horror films and their cliché third acts, or maybe the film is casually racist and a poor horror film with a poorly written ending. (probably not )

The film starts off well luring the audience into believing several events are normal even though unpalatable, then gets stranger in the middle as circumstances build into the somewhat surreal (although normal for clichéd horror) and then finally ends with a preposterous situation.
    Is this what the director is doing? Juxtaposing crazy with casual racism to make a point how one is belivable and the other isn't, even when that believable thing is something you wouldn't want in normal society?

If so, I wish they could've made the same point in a better way, without the stupid ending or a better twist, I dunno... What did everyone else think?

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Knowing MOMUS I would guess something dirty and/or depraved.
    Or conning you into making a giant-sized Slann.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    That was pretty epic, MOMUS.

Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale.

Great animation and an interesting story exploring iterative advancements in the VR/AR fields the original series did so well.

I'm getting old though because the Boss fight sound effects were just too painful for me. Far too loud.
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Passengers
    Guy(Chris Pratt) gets woken up much too early on a voyage through space due to a malfunction, finally gives in and wakes up the most attractive woman(Jennifer Lawrence) he can find amongst the other passengers and it then plays pretty much exactly how you'de expect it to. Very good sci-fi film that at least tries in places to get the physics of things in space correct.
    3.5/5
    Definitely worth watching

Last edited by theunwantedbeing; 11-03-2017 at 13:30.
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

The studio had so little faith in the script they had to wait until Lawrence and Pratt were invented to make it a financially plausible film worth making.

The film still sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Knowing MOMUS I would guess something dirty and/or depraved.
    Or conning you into making a giant-sized Slann.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    That was pretty epic, MOMUS.

Land of the sheep, and no not New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    The studio had so little faith in the script they had to wait until Lawrence and Pratt were invented to make it a financially plausible film worth making.

The film still sucks.
    Passengers should have been renamed Stockholm Syndrome the Movie

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "Mia clementia, denar esto" - "Have mercy. I was blind, but now I can see"
    A can of Inferno Relentless a day, keeps the doctor at bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Turalyon View Post
    The Descent of Angels would be good if titled "Cyphers favorite childhood memories"
    Quote Originally Posted by Vote Kantor View Post
    You are all forgetting the two unknown primarchs, chuck norris and santa

The film still sucks.
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Private_SeeD View Post
    Passengers should have been renamed Stockholm Syndrome the Movie
    That's a bit harsh, I doubt many people would have acted much differently in the same situation.

Assassin's Creed
    Another bad video game adaptation.
    Great cast though, and it looks pretty but that's where it stops being good.
    The plot is weak, the pacing and structure of the film is all over the place and the action is the usual way too many cuts nonsense that keeps getting used
    Too many overly obvious winks at the camera with terms from the game as well.
    2/5
    If you're twelve years old then you'll probably like it, invite your mum if she likes fassbender
    Last edited by theunwantedbeing; 12-03-2017 at 16:57.
    Plan B kill it with fire
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Passengers: read an op-ed on how it's a thinly veiled thumbs up for male 'rape culture'. I think that's a bit extreme after having read the premise then synopsis.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiyamatoMusashi View Post
    Magnus' actions in wiping out most of the Astropaths on Terra when it was already too late just makes him look like a bumbling buffoon. He might as well finish up by saying "Uh-oh, spaghettios!" with a canned laughter track appended, then slipping over on a banana skin accompanied by a comedy whistle sound.

Well can you imagine if she was a man who was awoken and then tried to kill the guy for condemning them to a slow death by old age alone on a space ship?

Sounds like a justified revenge story to me.

Instead the woman as she almost always does, forgives the man's transgressions and loves him in spite of his flaws.

In the alternate scenario he just wanted a friend - but the story would focus on that man's rage and anger at being forced against his will to do this.

In the actual film he basically wanted a **** buddy and effectively made one.

I could quite easily see this story told from her perspective: as she uncovers more on why she was awoken, he gets more irrational and controlling until it's basically a survival horror of her trying to avoid becoming his slave.

The ending would be her killing him to be free.
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    Passengers: read an op-ed on how it's a thinly veiled thumbs up for male 'rape culture'. I think that's a bit extreme after having read the premise then synopsis.
    I think it's safe to say that anything coming to that conclusion usually is "a bit extreme".

Anyway, I watched

The Blind Side (2010)

Sandra Bullock is a prim and proper upper class US (way, way, waaaaaaaaay US) ladyperson who's also a businesslady and there's this big black dude who gets passed from school to school because they think he's a lost cause, but she makes him a good footballer. Oh, and it's 'based on a true story'.

A friend made me watch this and i was too tired to find a way out even though the synopsis sounded like a list of things I don't care for in films altogether. I did not enjoy this film. It's very by the numbers, very uninteresting and has very upsetting looking people in it. They made Sandra Bullock look upsetting with her orange skin and her plastic yellow hair. Weird.

Anyway, I did not enjoy it, it was poopie, it's a lifetime channel film (btw: why aren't those cool any more like the one with the kid falling into the hole or the 32 films about upper middle class dads getting in trouble?). The next day said friend (she didn't like the film either) informed me she was mostly interested in watching it because Bullock won a bloody Oscar for it. And a golden Globe. This thing was nominated for Best Film! (lost to Hurt Locker) The mind is boggled.

Do not Watch.

Now for a little switch:

Scary Movie 5 (20xx)

It's mainly spoofing paranormal activity and for some reason Black Swan. I have a weird relationship with the Scary Movie films. Of course they are *****, they are not funny, they suck, there is NO reason for them to exist. When I watch them (especially 2), sometimes they get a chuckle out of me simply because there are SO many stupid gags thrown at your that at some point the defences break down. In my defence: I was also very tired that night. For a while we just kept it on because my brother didn't know what it was and I thought it was fun to keep him guessing as this crapfest unfolds. Then it got a few chuckles out of us here and there, mostly because it's just so ineptly made or the people who make those just don't care. They know they get a return on their investment and that's it.

Don't Watch. But if you do, don't feel too bad about yourself.

After that his trash tv channel we watched blessed us with Disaster Movie. I reviewed this one a few years ago on here, but I'd never seen the beginning. We turned it off after 7 minutes, even in our scarymovie'd state of mind.

We thought "there must be good comedies in the world", so we went on Netflix. Unfortunately of course Netflix only has crap films online. At this point I think that they do that to make their silly Netflix Original things look better in comparison. We couldn't find any none of us had seen (in hindsight a silly thing to look for good comedies none of us had seen ). We realized we'd watched two films now which to some extent featured Snoop Dogg, so why not look deeper into the gentleman's oevre?

High School (200x)

Snoop Dogg, surely in his 40s and he could be the dad of the guy who plays the principal, is a high school student who sells weed to everybody and they're all happy. Principal wants to stop this. Engage hijinx.

BUT FIRST a CG joint who is exactly the same personality as Towelie appears on screen, talking useless rubbish. He's appearing during the film as well in cutaways, informing us about how to keep bitches in check and such. He's a good guy.

And that's it. We didn't make it any further than again like 10 minutes.

Don't Watch.

The best film we watched that night was Scary Movie 5. What an interesting evening.

Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar

What did everyone else think?
    I actually really liked Get Out, but mostly took it as horror/comedy emphasizing the comedy, given the writer/director's background.

With regards to your thoughts, I don't know if the purpose of the movie was to juxtapose realistic and absurd racism. I do think that the audience is supposed to recognize the benevolent racism in the movie for what it is, though, whereas they might not in real life. The protagonist's psychological ability to dismiss obviously abnormal behavior and threats is a hallmark of the genre that this movie is spoofing, though, so in some ways I think the build from casual to preposterous is a way of evoking the genre while at the same time confronting the viewer with believable and unbelievable forms of racism.

Could be that the movie speaks best to an American audience? I'm not sure, as I'm really not too well-versed in the subtleties of race relations overseas. For me, though, it was a really well-crafted and humorous way of tackling a sensitive subject.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

My infrequently updated nerd blog.

Logan
    Wolverine finally gets to be in a film that's allowed to show blood and violence.

3/5
    The first half is great but it slowly loses it's focus in the second half
    Plan B kill it with fire

Brit living in the US here.

I really enjoyed Get Out. It's doing that classic horror thing of taking something real that frightens people and blending it into something unreal. All the best horror movies have these dual elements.

In this case I think the movie escalates tension smoothly and cleverly from social anxiety to social exclusion to a seeming collective insanity to a full-on genre schlock ending, while paying off all kinds of things raised earlier like an Edgar Wright movie (car crashes, deer/stags, Jesse Owens, MMA, TSA etc.).

The Sunken Place reminded me of similar scenes from the disturbing aliens-among-us movie Under the Skin, and I think the basement 'games room' might be referenced a lot in future. Allison Williams was great too.

Had a couple of flights recently, so naturally I watched movies. In order:

Anthropoid (2016)
    This one flew under my radar somehow, so I had not heard of it until I saw it among the in-flight entertainment options.

A period drama about Czech soldiers operating under the orders of the government-in-exile pre-WWII, when Czechoslovakia was under Nazi occupation. A handful of soldiers parachuted in with various missions, and this movie follows a pair whose objective is to assassinate Reinhard Heydrich, the officer administrating Prague nicknamed "The Butcher of Prague."

I thought this movie was excellent. The leads (Cillian Murphy & Jamie Dornan) play their parts very well, Cillian seeming to be the more veteran, dour soldier and Jamie playing the younger and somewhat more idealistic of the two. I don't want to give much away (if you know history, I gather it's pretty close to reality), but I think anyone who's a fan of thrillers or spy movies will enjoy it. The end is exceptionally tense.

5/5 - watch it!

Feeling like sticking to that period, I moved on to

Fury (2014).

Five cardboard cutouts in search of a better script. I had heard good things about this movie, and it was really disappointing. There's probably a TV tropes page for each of the 5 main characters, the script felt really cliche, I dunno. It just really missed the mark, for me. The one saving grace of this movie is that the battle scenes are very well done, and at least in the media that I've seen the perspective of tank crew is not particularly well-represented. One particularly good scene really highlights the difference in technology between American and German armor at the time. Being shut up in a metal box with 4 other guys while everyone around you is throwing every projectile under the sun at you is pretty harrowing.

Anyways, don't go out of your way.

2.5/5 - Take it or Leave it

And lastly, a change of pace.

Inside Out (2015)

I loved this movie! There were some pretty funny Bay Area in-jokes, but it was really fun all-around. Starting with Brave, I kinda felt that Pixar movies were slipping a bit, but this one reminded me of their heyday.

For those that don't already know, the premise is that each person's emotions are personified characters that control them and take care of maintaining their memories. We mostly get the perspective of the emotions of a ~10-year-old girl whose family moves cross-country from Minnesota to San Francisco, and the emotional stress that she's undergoing through the lens of the emotions that run her (Joy, Sadness, Fear, Anger, Disgust).

It's a really touching movie that writes an entertaining narrative over an interesting emotional process. There are also some hilarious cameos and fun psychology jokes.

Predictably, being Pixar it's a bit schmaltsy at times, but it's still pretty sharp in its wit and very entertaining. Also I'm a) expecting a daughter and b) possibly moving cross-country (although opposite, from the Bay Area to the middle) soon, so if you happened to be on that flight and heard a man sobbing at the back of the flight, that was me.

Anyways, 5/5 watch it!
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

Chapter Master

Last Knights
    Clive Owen adn Morgan Freeman in a Not-historical retelling of the 47 Ronin. Once I figured that out early on, it became a bit less interesting. However, it is pretty entertaining for a not-samurai movie.

Clive Owen really should be a bigger start and get some better parts than he gets. He is a very talented actor. Perhaps the next Bond?

The Last King
    This is about the Norwegian civil wars and the flight of Hakon Hakonsson in 1206 from the Bagler's helped by the Berkenbeiners. I knew nothign about this, so was really surprised to see so much downhill skiing in my medieval movie! Looking into the history, the downhill skiing seemed to be pretty accurate!

Sadly, the movie was poorly dubbed. I would have preferred the original Norwegian with subs, but there you go. An intersting watch, but I am not sure I can recommend it.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

Caught this the other night, and I have to say overall I enjoyed it, although it wasn't without it's problems.

I haven't seen the anime since I was pretty young, and I don't remember a thing about it other than the basic premise, so I can't really comment on it as an adaptation. It had some pretty cool visuals, a fine if straightforward premise, and the action scenes were really well done. Most characters weren't much more than skin-deep, but they were fine and filled their roles adequately. The plot didn't really leave anything to be desired, so it was fine. Pacing was a little bit all over the place, to be honest, but the fight scenes were really cool! There was also a lot of attention to background detail, which helped with immersion into the fictional world. I really liked all the various cybernetic modifications you see on all the characters, and the head of Section 9 was a great all-around badass old cop character.

I have to say, Scarlett Johannson was not that good, though. I understand that her character is supposed to be a bit robotic, but honestly she just felt stiff. Black Widow is a better action heroine and she's better as an outsider trying to blend in to humanity in Under the Skin.

3/5, although if you're inclined to watch it it's probably worth seeing it on the big screen, despite its shortcomings.
    Last edited by Whitwort Stormbringer; 08-04-2017 at 04:54.

Chapter Master

Glad to hear you liked it.

I've been wondering if I should see it. Frankly, the trailers left me rather cold.

As for the spoilers...

Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    Glad to hear you liked it.

I've been wondering if I should see it. Frankly, the trailers left me rather cold.

As for the spoilers...

I think you'll find that you're making an assumption around the appearance of manga characters. The japanese don't think their characters are 'a bit caucausian', they're a stylised japanese cartoon character.

How you perceive their appearance (and I can only imagine you're referring to their eyes) and how the japanese perceive their appearance is very different.

Hmm, if you were turned off by the trailers I might give it a skip, then. My enjoyment of the movie was really centered on the setting and the spectacle of it, which is mostly what you get in the trailer. There's not enough story or intrigue to carry it.

Page 352 of 353 FirstFirst ... 252 302 342 350 351 352 353 LastLast