Page 354 of 355 FirstFirst ... 254 304 344 352 353 354 355 LastLast
Results 7,061 to 7,080 of 7082

Thread: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

Frozen (2013)

Netflix Austria graciously decided to add this to the library. My brother and a friend's been talking this one up for years. I went in knowing nothing about the whole thing apart of course from what the characters look like, because merchandise sales on this one must be insane. I can't even recall the fairy tale this is (without a doubt incredibly loosely) based on.

I expect that everybody's seen this one already or at least knows what it's about as i'm rather late to the party.

Now this is an interesting film, isn't it? Pretty much cutting edge, especially for a few years ago. This film has no irony, no fourth wall breaking, no pop-culture references (all the stuff animated films had been cursed for years now) and there's singing all the time. This film is completely unapologetic about what it is, and that's really what the story is about, isn't it? But it's not just "be who you want to be, everybody else can **** off". Because of course that's one of the big problems of our collective societies. The characters are very, very cutesy, but that's okay. They aren't edgy anyway, they just run as deep as the story requires them to be to go ahead. I talked about this to my brother and he swears that repeat viewing makes you understand the characters run a bit deeper (even the bloody snowman guard monster thing), but oh well.

It's not perfect by a long shot. I thought that the snowmen (the big one and the small one) could have been binned altogether. The small one had a funny one-note concept, but that's about it really. On the big one I just didn't care for the design. He could just as well have been a gust of wind or something like that.

I could have done without the trolls getting massively reduced screentime and no song. But they were cute enough I guess.

Watch it. It's as good as a Disney animated film can get I think. I'm usually not into songs in such films, but with this one it works. Sure, it's very girly, and I'm sure that the whole X-Men thing that's going on in the film really speaks to the LGBT communities...well, anybody really. Not sure why the song got an oscar, but the sequence that's going on around it really is cool (no pun intended).

After that I still couldn't sleep, so I decided to watch Tangled and in watching this right after Frozen you realize how much more cutting edge Frozen is and what changed in the time between Tangled and Frozen. I only watched some of the beginning before falling asleep, but the difference is really stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelwing View Post
    Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders 2016
    I am slowly working my way throught he old series with my daughter. The old Movie is hilarious to us, the series in season 1 hasn't found its feet yet, and I look forward to capping off the 3 seasons with Return of the Caped Crusaders.

Edit: I am probably the only Father in America of a girl in the target market for Frozen who has never seen it. I even own a copy, but have never watched it.
    Last edited by Easy E; 16-06-2017 at 15:00.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

The Babadook
    Horror movie about a single mother and her horrible child, they get terrorised by a monster called the Babadook after reading a story about it.
    Would be good if the kid wasn't so damned horrible, also he does a bunch of silly home alone type stuff at the end.
    2/5

Power Rangers
    Serious* take on the power rangers franchise in movie form, surprisingly great.
    The zords are kinda crappy but we all knew that the second we saw the toys
    3.5/5
    *there's some attempted humour that doesn't need to be there

Wonder Woman
    Wonder Woman origin story, shows what the more serious tone of the DC universe can bring to the table for superhero movies.
    3.5/5
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

The Mummy (2017)

I was in the mood for something silly so I went to see this (on the cheapest ticket of course).
    I didn't know quite what I was watching here: Is it a comedy? Is it action? Is it horror? It tries to do all three and only comes up average on all counts. In fact I was laughing at it in places for how silly it was. I came out of it feeling, well, nothing much sadly. Its basically below average throughout.
    There is some good stuff in here - easter eggs, ideas and themes but its buried beneath a pile of set pieces, stuff ripped from other films and no real direction.
    There are of course a few unbelievable / nonsensical real world things that might break your immersion (a buried, lost for 900 years templar catacomb has ceiling windows letting in copious amounts of sunlight - the one that is so hidden that cross rail engineers tunnel into it by accident having not found it despite the presumed very extensive surveying.) but just drink beer and switch your brain off to stop noticing all the plot holes.
    Also, Tom cruise has some odd cheeks in this film - very puffy.

Hopefully this lack luster start doesn't put the curse of the mummy's tomb on Universals 'Dark Universe' before it gets going.

Rent (for a drunken party)

The Mummy (2017)

I was in the mood for something silly so I went to see this (on the cheapest ticket of course).
    I didn't know quite what I was watching here: Is it a comedy? Is it action? Is it horror? It tries to do all three and only comes up average on all counts. In fact I was laughing at it in places for how silly it was. I came out of it feeling, well, nothing much sadly. Its basically below average throughout.
    There is some good stuff in here - easter eggs, ideas and themes but its buried beneath a pile of set pieces, stuff ripped from other films and no real direction.
    There are of course a few unbelievable / nonsensical real world things that might break your immersion (a buried, lost for 900 years templar catacomb has ceiling windows letting in copious amounts of sunlight - the one that is so hidden that cross rail engineers tunnel into it by accident having not found it despite the presumed very extensive surveying.) but just drink beer and switch your brain off to stop noticing all the plot holes.
    Also, Tom cruise has some odd cheeks in this film - very puffy.

Hopefully this lack luster start doesn't put the curse of the mummy's tomb on Universals 'Dark Universe' before it gets going.

Rent (for a drunken party)
    Sounds like a summer blockbuster to me. Using their classic horror monsters and make up a franchise sounds like an intriguing idea, even though I'm not a fan. The previews for the Mummy looked really silly and it looks like Tom Cruise is doing a really, really good job once again. I do like the guy as an actor. Let's see what they do with the whole franchise thing.

Mad Max - Fury Road (2015)

This is a film about a dude in a post-apocalyptic world where people drive around in cars a lot, there's a nasty looking bad guy and a lady named Furiosa and she's driving a big truck through the desert to get somewhere with something.

I enjoyed it. It was fun. A perfectly serviceable action film of the kind I would most welcome to see more often. Despite the vastness of it all it felt very locally limited, in a good way. No vast locations or colourful settings, no establishing stuff or hurling annoying exposition dialogue at us. Tom Hardy is good, Charlize Theron is good, the baddie is amazingly designed, lots of cool and crazy ideas.

It's understandable that it makes people want to play Gorkamorka.

Watch It. It's a good action film.

P.S.: Reading anything beyond that into it is just trying very, very hard. Just because we do action b-flicks now with a three-digit million price tag we shouldn't take them too seriously. Sure, it's fun every now and then and that fun can be blown out of proportion due to the internet and as soon as that happens idiots with their silly opinions emerge, but it's just a good action film with an interesting theme.

I've been mad about monsters since I was little (WAY too little in hindsight, I can distinctly recall as a seven year old swirling the water around me in the bathtub in the hopes it would protect me from vampires). I'd really like the universe to succeed, but the trouble is monsters are everywhere and I don't know if Universal can put a decent enough spin on them.

Plus how can them make a Universe more compelling than Monster Squad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted

The Cleave-man Browns

Max

A war dog from afghanistan returns home and you get a very craftsman like movie that is a perfect example of how you write a stock screen play. I recommend it for anyone interested in writing screenplays, because it does exactly what a screenplay needs to do. Therefore, it accomplishes a lot more than many other films can claim.

Pretty by-the-numbers though.

Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
    Max

A war dog from afghanistan returns home and you get a very craftsman like movie that is a perfect example of how you write a stock screen play. I recommend it for anyone interested in writing screenplays, because it does exactly what a screenplay needs to do. Therefore, it accomplishes a lot more than many other films can claim.

Pretty by-the-numbers though.

Pass
    How do you make a film that sounds incredibly boring and mediocre sound interesting?! This review wrinkles my brain!

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    How do you make a film that sounds incredibly boring and mediocre sound interesting?! This review wrinkles my brain!
    I have seen The Apple too many times, and that has had a lasting impact on me, the same way over-exposure to lead has a lasting impact.

Ghost in the Shell
    Live action, remake(ish) of the manga/anime of the same name.
    Stars Scarlett Johansson as the Major and a bunch of other actors as everyone else.
    Its an okay film, nothing special and while the CGI is really nice in places it's pretty poor in others, plus when it comes to the characters interacting with the various CGI displays they're often not quite looking in the right direction or the gestures they're making don't fit with what's going on...it's a little jarring when there's clearly been a massive amount of time an effort gone into things like the props and the sets.
    It could have done with being a bit longer and with less blatant explanation of things, especially the first few scenes at the start

Worth a watch
    Plan B kill it with fire
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Ironclad 2: Battle for Blood

I have seen much worse movies. This one was so forgettable, that I almost forgot I had seen it.

Pass

The Big Short

Everyone should see this movie. Stop.

If you ever saw United 93 this movie reminded me of that. The tone is completely different, the subject somewhat different, and the skills on and off camera are very different. However, both of these movies do a great job evoking the time and place and more importantly the feelings from the times they are harkening too. United 93 made me remember how terrible, helpless, and scared I was on 9/11. The Big Short does something similar for the Great Recession of 2007.

One of the big issues with The Big Short is that you can not really root for the main characters. SAure, they are quirky, funny, interesting, and well-drawn; but ultimately they fail to save us. In this way, the movie is also reminiscent of United 93.

However, despite its flaws this movie does a great job of explaining what happened. The only place where I have seen/heard such a similar take down was an episode of This American Life called; The Giant Pool of Money. I recommend everyone listen to that too.

Finally, in th eclosing minutes of the movie, the narrator explains what should of happened after the big Crash. However, we all know that is not what happened.... at all. I think this would be really interesting to watch along with The Wolf of Wall Street, The Smartest Guy in the Room, and Wall Street. To make you not want to kill yourself, throw in Vin Diesel's big break Boiler Room.

Alien :Covenant
    Prometheus 2 basically, and not really learning the lessons it should have learnt.
    Fassbender is the star of the entire thing of course, by a wide margin not least because he gets to play two androids this time around. The ending is mostly the entire original alien film condensed into a few minutes.

3/5
    It's worth sitting through the bad bits to get to the good but it could have been so much better.
    Plan B kill it with fire

Lets see...Mrs Captain Brown and I have seen a couple of movies when Ms Captain Brown is asleep.

The Circle
    Story about Social Media giant trying to influence the world in the near future. Rather bland and not that exciting or interesting. 2/5

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
    Story about King Arthur...not really, unless you are a fanatic Guy Ritchie fan this movie is likely not for you. Has almost nothing to do with the legend of King Arthur. 1/5

Dunkirk
    Story of the evacuation of British forces trapped at Dunkirk in 1940. Great movie tying several stories together. Loved it. 5/5

Cheers,

CB

Welcome back everyone. Please check your old PLOGs and update photos that have been lost in the hack or Photobucket block.
    Elysian Army PLOG - Tau Army PLOG - Ork Army PLOG - Sisters of Battle PLOG - Necromunda Imperial Guard Army PLOG
    Please follow the rules and respect the opinions of others - Warseer FAQ
    Presently selling fully painted OOP WHFB Orcs, OOPS GW Books, Wave Serpent - Interested in buying a Citadel Realm of Battle Board Carrying Bag

My daughter wanted to watched Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2 back-to-back. So we did.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 1

Emminently watchable. Marvel has this team building style of movie down cold. Of course, it suffers heavily from "It's in the script" circumstances but most movies do. It was a fun ride. The Nova Corp should be much cooler than they get to be, but it make sup for it with a psuedo-dance off. More movies need a climactic dance off.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2

Not as solid as Volume 1. I noticed that James Gunn did not have a co-writer this time, and it shows. The Soveriegn plotline makes little sense and is suppose to tie in closely with Rocket's character arc, but it just kind of fails. Baby Groot is of course a scene stealer. The climax is not as fun as the first one. There is also a sub-plot about the nature of father hood with Yando, Star Lord, and Ego.... but really..... it is very silly.

Sadly, these movies are all style and craft, with little beyond that. I get the appeal, but they are all cotton candy and popcorn. Too much sizzle and no steak. At least Captain America Movies have some cultural critique and substance to them.

Chapter Master

I think volume 2 suffered horribly from the sudden but totally expected mood shift. It started silly, ramped right up to ridiculous, then slammed the angst button and never stopped.

I also found the slo-mo murder cam for Yondu extremely overdone and indulgent. Partly it's just the whistling arrow which is a major artifact (superior to guns for no apparent reason, even though in operation it really isn't- it's fairly slow and he just stands there) with zero explanation, though mostly just that no one was willing to just shoot him as he wanders around indifferently.
    Last edited by Voss; 02-09-2017 at 21:29.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Never say never again (1983)

The 'unofficial' James Bond film. I hadn't seen this in a very long time, and thought I'd give it a go again. Its pretty entertaining despite its very american eighties feel being a bit at odds with James Bond (the intro titles and music is very american eighties tv show). Plot wise it is a bit silly, but you can accuse most Bond films of this. Watch out for the villainess's atrocious 80's fashion and Kim Basinger wearing, well, not a lot. In the interest of balance, Sean himself is looking pretty buff and takes numerous opportunities to show it off. Early film role for Rowan Atkinson and Max von Sydow hamming it up as Blofeld.

watch (on a lazy sunday afternoon)

Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2

More of the same from the first film, but with a less polished plot and a bit of flanderisation of the characters thrown in.
    Good but not great.

3/5

There are FIVE end credits scenes.
    Plan B kill it with fire

I'm looking forward to the new bladerunner, but it could just be more IP mining.

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    Knowing MOMUS I would guess something dirty and/or depraved.
    Or conning you into making a giant-sized Slann.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Inquisitor View Post
    That was pretty epic, MOMUS.

I watched the new series of MST3k- The Return! with Jonah.

I was suitably amused for most of the movies. Starcrash is like my arch-nemesis as I have tried to watch it 7 times but only failed to fall asleep once. Even the MST3K version of it was barely enough to keep me going. That movie is brutal!

The Christmas that Almost Wasn't and Yongary were surprisingly tepid episodes as well.

Otherwise, bang-up job and I hope they do another season! I was suitably amused! A bit of a surprise ending for the over-arching story too.

Page 354 of 355 FirstFirst ... 254 304 344 352 353 354 355 LastLast