Page 255 of 355 FirstFirst ... 155 205 245 253 254 255 256 257 265 305 ... LastLast
Results 5,081 to 5,100 of 7094

Thread: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

  1. #5081
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    153

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    I'll just make one last statement about Race in comics because I think we are derailing the thread.

    I don't have a problem with minorities in movies, to be clear.

    I do not wish to argue with trolls.

    My point is this...

    I don't look at race in movies or in real life.... my background is very multicultural and multiracial family. I live in a mega city of all races and culture. That is my background. I've dated outside my race all the time. So stop with the "you do have a problem with race" statement.

    When I say that I don't see races in X-men or Avengers.. I mean that. I do not consider IM white or Nick Fury Black. They just are as is. Just like when you meet people with short hair, long hair, strait hair or frizzy hair... you don't think about it, it is just hair... however... if somebody ask you to describe them... they you well call it as it is. However, I do consider it an issue when the race of the character is switch if done so to be PC or "token" or to be demographic friendly. Example is Black Peter Parker. It takes away the history of the iconic character. You can make a Black Spiderman, but the name must be different and a new character. Say.. Steve Smith a black teens who was also in the lab and also got bitten by the same spider as Peter Parker. He just never became a hero, but he has all the powers... he just live a quiet life until X and X happens and he became a Spiderman copy cat. NO problem there. Get a grip and understand my intent.

    Transformers and racism...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF7ZGRYNCtg
    Watch that. Please stop with the BS comment as "as suppose as Robots acting white BS." Those two robots were acting in stereo type of black hip hop culture. It was stupid and lame. That was token actors (the black computer nerd) and token robots (the three transformers).

    Yes, I do understand what Token or "black card" is... the example above is my point.

    I'm glade that Marvel movies do not have that as far as I can remember. However, it was clear that some black actors were there because they want that demographic. The falcon was an example. They need a black superhero, so they pick Falcon. This is not token... not sure what to call it, but he got the job because of his skin color.

    What would you say to me if I am a music producer and I want to create a boy band. My formula is 5 guys from age from 18 to 23 and all good looking, can sing and dance and one of them must be black. The 5th white kid who didn't make the cut of the band and is better than the black kid would call that reverse racism and he would have a point.

    So in the Captain America 2 , there are many candidate for his "side kick"... but it was a calculated decision to choose the Falcon because they need a black hero.

    When producer pick characters because of race as a factor, I tend to be a little bit standoffish.
    Last edited by mikebones; 24-10-2014 at 04:35.

  2. #5082
    Chapter Master Avian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Under a magical gloom
    Posts
    15,877

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    I think you don't know what to call it because you're using the word "token" in a different meaning than most people. Serving as a token means that appear to cover some demographic category. You can absolutely serve as a token without being a negative stereotype, though it comes with negative connotations ("You weren't the best at the job, the people in charge just felt that they needed a Hispanic to appeal to that demographic"). It could be that the token person DIDN'T get "quoted" in, but was in fact the best fit for the job, but a lot of people won't see it that way.
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

    Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes

  3. #5083
    Librarian warlordbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stoke on Trent, England
    Posts
    442

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Quote Originally Posted by mikebones View Post
    So in the Captain America 2 , there are many candidate for his "side kick"... but it was a calculated decision to choose the Falcon because they need a black hero.

    When producer pick characters because of race as a factor, I tend to be a little bit standoffish.
    No, sorry, but the reason Falcon was chosen is because he is currently heavily featured in the comics, as the replacement for Steve Rogers as Captain America, and because he was Caps sidekick for quite some time, and his best known one besides Bucky/Winter Soldier. There is no token black guy involved, he was fairly involved in the story and several key scenes, which is the opposite of what a token character is, who is there simply to spit out one liners and represent a minority.

  4. #5084
    Chapter Master cornonthecob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    2,252

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Quote Originally Posted by mikebones View Post

    I do not wish to argue with trolls.
    .
    I don't think you know what that word means, then again you dont seem to know what many of your words mean.

  5. #5085
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    153

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Quote Originally Posted by cornonthecob View Post
    I don't think you know what that word means, then again you dont seem to know what many of your words mean.
    You smell it you dealt it. then again, it seems like you don't know what that means.

  6. #5086
    Librarian warlordbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stoke on Trent, England
    Posts
    442

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Quote Originally Posted by mikebones View Post
    You smell it you dealt it. then again, it seems like you don't know what that means.
    Really? That seems an incredibly childish way to attempt to be back up your case. No one's trolling you, just trying to explain what 'token' means when applied to characters in TV and film, because you pearly don't have a solid grasp on it.
    Last edited by warlordbob; 24-10-2014 at 15:39. Reason: stupid predictive text

  7. #5087
    Chapter Master ColShaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Frozen Hell of the North
    Posts
    4,506

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    SO... movies...

    In the spirit of Halloween, I watched Frontier(s)

    Kind of wish I hadn't. Not because of the gruesomeness... that honestly doesn't bother me. Mostly because I felt like I was watching a fan-made mashup of Texas Chainsaw Massacre meets Hostel... and I don't mean that in a good way. There was no original thought, shot, our plot in this film. The entire thing was a dreary retread of earlier slasher movies, soaked in mud and blood. Basically, the cinematic equivalent of going through World War I.

    Ugh.

    Avoid
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to glue and buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FraustyTheSnowman View Post
    Anything else I have to say has already been said by Col Shaw...listen to the lego man, he's wise.
    "Ember of Dreams"
    http://www.amazon.com/Ember-Dreams-C...0408773&sr=1-1

  8. #5088
    Commander Warpsoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherworld
    Posts
    523

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Wow, didn't mean to kick off a flame war. Just commented on how safe Marvel plays things, know one knew who the heck Star Lord was until this year. Would it have killed them to make him a black or hispanic character? Or, use the new female Captain Marvel instead of him? She is practically Nova Corps, it would have been perfect.

    Marvel have no fear in launching abstract properties to the public, I mean we get a talking racoon and a walking Vin Diesel tree before a Justice League flick. I just think they are too bland and uninspired with their casting. For example, Chris Hemsworth makes a terrible Thor. He is a truly awful, wooden actor.

    As for the new Ultron trailer, looks fairly lame so far. CGI is shoddy, hopefully they'll touch it up before theatrical release. And I absolutely HATE that Tony is the father of Ultron. It should have been Hank Pym.
    Last edited by Warpsoul; 24-10-2014 at 16:21.

  9. #5089
    Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    2,313

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Let's do some movie reviews!

    We've been trying to watch Halloween-y movies leading up to the actual day, which turned into us watching the cheesy new "Sleepy Hollow" tv show instead, but we got a couple in first:

    The Craft (1996)
    Well we didn't exactly know what we were in for, all we knew was that it was about outcast teenage girls dabbling in witchcraft. Turned out to be a rather bland teen movie that was mostly about the new girl (Robin Tunney) not fitting in, and befriending 3 other social outcasts (Fairuza Balk, Neve Campbell, & Rachel True) who are all into magic. The new girl has innate magical powers, and after meeting her, the 4 girls cast some collective spell that fixes some problem in each of their lives, but then one of them takes it too far, "new girl" tells them they have to be careful, and they all turn against her. "New girl" and others have a pretty silly magic-off, the end. All in all, I guess it was OK as pretty light fare, although it's a pretty dissatisfying ending if you think about it, because the "new girl" character still ends up a loner. Ho-hum. The soundtrack and costume design are super, super 90's, I think I got more enjoyment out of that than anything else in this movie. Other 90's actors play the various popular mean kids at their high school, including Skeet Ulrich, Christine Taylor, & Breckin Meyer.

    Verdict: 2/5

    The Exorcist (1973)
    This movie really holds up, IMO, and is still pretty unsettling. Most of you guys have probably seen it, or at least know the premise. The story itself doesn't jump out as too impressive, the daughter of an actress fall sick, traditional medicine obviously doesn't do anything, it turns out she's possessed by a demon, or perhaps the Devil himself, and a Catholic priest has to step in. What's well-done in this movie, I've always thought, is the progression of the daughter's possession, beginning with fairly benign, but kind of creepy, phenomena, leading into more and more bizarre behavior, changes to her appearance, and ultimately a very grotesque and sinister complete takeover by the possessing entity. The story behind the actress that provided the possessed voice, Mercedes McCambridge, is pretty interesting, too. Apparently she was a recovering alcoholic, and to do the voice she would smoke, consume raw eggs, and drink whiskey before recording. Since she'd had issues with alcohol in the past, she requested that her priest be on-hand while she did the recordings! I heard an interview with her on NPR about it some years back, and it was very interesting.

    There's one scene that didn't make it into the theatrical release due to an inability to mask the wires that enabled the stunt, or something like that, but some newer versions have it included. I would definitely recommend watching the version of the film with that scene, if possible.

    Anyways, verdict: 5/5

    Tower of Evil (1972)
    Some American ne'er-do-wells rented a lighthouse on an old island of the coast of Scotland (maybe?), all but one were brutally murdered and the survivor went crazy, but hey, a cool Phoenician artifact was found at the scene! Archaeologists go to investigate, and predictably start getting picked off by an unknown killer. Well this was good old-fashioned, low-budget, predictable slasher fun. The movie cannot, in any true sense of the word, be described as "good," in my opinion, but it was entertaining in its badness, and its predictability. We were somewhat disappointed that there didn't end up being any supernatural element, or even an occult element, the killer was just the island's former inhabitant and his son, both gone mad, but it did have a certain Scooby Doo for grown-ups vibe ("The rampaging ghost of the Phoenician prince was old man Saul all along!"). Pretty silly, pretty short, not a bad choice if you're looking to have a good bad movie night.

    Verdict: 3/5
    Last edited by Whitwort Stormbringer; 24-10-2014 at 16:35.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

    My infrequently updated nerd blog.

  10. #5090
    Chapter Master Easy E's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,955

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Jersey Girl
    When this movie came out it was panned by audiences and critics. This one came after Chasing Amy but before Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back IIRC.

    I feel part of the reason for the push back is that this is a very conventional movie about a character that has to learn about what is important in life. In that way it is by the numbers. It has very few and relatively low-key Kevin Smith flairs. I would argue this is Smith's most "commercial" and "studio" film, if you get me drift.

    Others argued that the kid character was too unrealistic. However, having raised an only child daughter who has to spend a lot of time with grown-ups; the character in the movie is pretty spot on.

    Not his best work, but I don't think I wasted my time watching it.

    Pass

    I really need to watch some B-movie Horror Movies before it is too late.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

  11. #5091
    Chapter Master Urgat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    19,270

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    o

    Ghost in the Shell



    The tie-in series and movies might flesh the setting out better. But judging the movie on its own, it does come across as missing a few important bits and pieces.

    Watch, if for nothing else, then because it's a highly influential movie.
    I assume you mean the old movie. The TV series and later movies are really different, consider them parralel universes or something.
    The ghost is just a new way to say soul btw.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    They're making a live action version of that, and putting Scarlett Johansson in it because everyone loved Lucy.
    I seriously hope you're kidding.

  12. #5092
    Chapter Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,682

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    I assume you mean the old movie. The TV series and later movies are really different, consider them parralel universes or something.
    The ghost is just a new way to say soul btw.


    I seriously hope you're kidding.
    Yes, there is a hollywood movie in the making. And yes Scarlett has been approached to play the lead, or so the rumors say.
    Yes, that he is a towering Colossus of talent compared to whatever trained monkey-slave they chained to a Mac and forced to digitally sculpt these atrocities against the human eyeball.

  13. #5093
    Chapter Master sigur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    16,727

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Quote Originally Posted by nosebiter View Post
    Yes, there is a hollywood movie in the making. And yes Scarlett has been approached to play the lead, or so the rumors say.
    Yeah, that's going to suck big time. I like the "old" film. Never had the urge to watch the tv show or the newer films.

  14. #5094
    Chapter Master cornonthecob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    2,252

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Quote Originally Posted by Warpsoul View Post
    For example, Chris Hemsworth makes a terrible Thor. He is a truly awful, wooden actor.

    As for the new Ultron trailer, looks fairly lame so far. CGI is shoddy, hopefully they'll touch it up before theatrical release. And I absolutely HATE that Tony is the father of Ultron. It should have been Hank Pym.
    I think Hemsworth is an ok Thor but part of the issue is Kingpin casting.

    Ant-man is a little lame though all things considering, they also wanted to tie it all into the pre-exisitng movies instead of coming up with it on the fly.

  15. #5095
    Librarian warlordbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stoke on Trent, England
    Posts
    442

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Quote Originally Posted by cornonthecob View Post
    I think Hemsworth is an ok Thor but part of the issue is Kingpin casting.

    Ant-man is a little lame though all things considering, they also wanted to tie it all into the pre-exisitng movies instead of coming up with it on the fly.
    Theres still room to name drop Hank Pym, I've read somewhere that the Ultron program is something that Stark reboots, so Ultron may still be the brainchild of the old wife-beater.

  16. #5096
    Chapter Master cornonthecob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    2,252

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    I think that's what they are going to go for, especially since the Ant-man film will be about Scott Lang , Hank Pym being in Flashbacks to the sixties.

  17. #5097
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    153

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Primer and Upstream color
    I watched both film again for the 2nd time. I like Shane Carruth / the director, producer, and lead actor of both films.

    Primer - one of the best time travel film that will make your head spin. It is a low budget flick, but if you are a sci- fi fan, it is a must.
    Must Watch

    Upstream color
    - Your head will spin on this one too. Again, low budget and too difficult to explain. If you like Primer, and expecting something alike, you will be disapointted. This one was just too borning for me. I get what Shane was doing, but it was not entertaining to watch.
    Pass because of Primer expectation.

    and please don't request Shane to add black people just to make his film "a melting pot".

  18. #5098
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Maps used to say there were dragons here...
    Posts
    3,632

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Quote Originally Posted by mikebones View Post
    Primer and Upstream color
    I watched both film again for the 2nd time. I like Shane Carruth / the director, producer, and lead actor of both films.

    Primer - one of the best time travel film that will make your head spin. It is a low budget flick, but if you are a sci- fi fan, it is a must.
    Must Watch
    [B]
    .


    Primer bored me to death

  19. #5099
    Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    2,313

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Quote Originally Posted by mikebones View Post
    Primer
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'm a huge sci-fi film geek and always on the lookout for a good time travel narrative. I will check this out.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

    My infrequently updated nerd blog.

  20. #5100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    153

    Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitwort Stormbringer View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'm a huge sci-fi film geek and always on the lookout for a good time travel narrative. I will check this out.
    OMG, after the film... you will google all kinds of link about primer. Especially time travel chart. You are going to enjoy this film.

Page 255 of 355 FirstFirst ... 155 205 245 253 254 255 256 257 265 305 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •