Page 305 of 355 FirstFirst ... 205 255 295 303 304 305 306 307 315 ... LastLast
Results 6,081 to 6,100 of 7094

Thread: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

Banned
    Maps used to say there were dragons here...

Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

Quote Originally Posted by Whitwort Stormbringer View Post
    I just re watched John Carpenter's The Thing (1982, not 2011) last night. Very eerie, overall a great sci-fi horror/thriller. It's a tad dated, but still very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    Haunting films? Did you watch Lady in Black?
    Aye, seen both (good films). I think its getting fairly difficult for me to find something different that I havent seen these days

Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cornonthecob View Post
    The Fan-edit of The Hobbit is much better apparently.
    If we're thinking of the same fan-edit, then the one I started watching cut more narrative material (on the grounds that it wasn't in the book) than over-the-top CGI antics, and the result was that the movie was a more palatable length, but somehow managed to feel even shallower than before.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

My infrequently updated nerd blog.

The Breakfast Club

One of those movies that everyone but me seems to have watched. Man I wished I hadn't waited so long. I know it's cliche but its easily up there in my favourite movies Ive seen to date. I love intimate films like this and it's packed full of great character moments and developments. Brutal to heart warming, cynical to idealic but fun to watch from start to finish. Plus, great soundtrack.

Watch it
    "Whom the Gods notice they destroy...be small and you will escape the jealousy of the great" The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaines Wrath View Post
    The Breakfast Club

One of those movies that everyone but me seems to have watched. Man I wished I hadn't waited so long. I know it's cliche but its easily up there in my favourite movies Ive seen to date. I love intimate films like this and it's packed full of great character moments and developments. Brutal to heart warming, cynical to idealic but fun to watch from start to finish. Plus, great soundtrack.

Watch it
    What you describe is exactly my experience with that film as well. I only watched it for the first time about two years ago and wanted to kick myself because I hadn't watched it earlier. It instantly became one of my favourites as well. Glad you like it that much.

Stand Up Guys (2012)

Al Pacino, Christopher Walken and Allen Arkin are three aging crooks hanging out, doing things. I'm pretty sure that this film was pitched exactly like this. Patchino just got out of prison after a 25 year sentence or something like that, they break Arkin out of a retirement home, steal a fancy car and go out on a night of being who they were 25 years ago again. There are some action scenes, but they are kind of forgettable and not all that important. What this film is about is have these three sit around a table at a diner, talking. It's not like this is the main thing about the film in terms of screen time, but it's the thing that will stick with you and the only thing that will really interest you about this film. That being said, it's just so nice seeing these scenes. In one of those scenes they found a girl somewhere, they all sit down to eat at said diner, the girl tells them her story. The shot is her talking, doing a very "urban" performance between parody and one of the girls from Deathproof (not doing a bad job, but ...i don't know, ACTING quite hard. It was a familar face, I think it was Rosario Dawson) and in the left there's Christopher Walken listening and dunking a teabag into the cup of hot water over and over. It was mesmerizing.

And that's the thing. This film works only because there are these three actors with those immense legacies to them. When you see these three sit together, quietly exchanging lines there's this tension and familiarity. It's just enjoyable. That aside the film isn't bad. The plot is present, there are side characters, there are situations of slight danger and so on, but ultimately this is all dwarfed by Pacino, Walken and Arkin being there, owning the screen, owning this city, owning the film.

The film on the one hand celebrates these guys (you can feel the film's sweaty palms, thinking 'omg, these guys are hanging out with me!' to itself), on the other hand there are some bits of unavoidable deconstruction going on.

All in all... I don't know. It's cool to watch. It's not a great film and I'd rather watch 90 minutes of a roundtable discussion with these three men, but the film is a servicable proxy I guess. Take it or Leave it. No harm done in watching, not a huge loss if you don't.

I dig Walken, maybe I'll try and see that one.

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    What you describe is exactly my experience with that film as well. I only watched it for the first time about two years ago and wanted to kick myself because I hadn't watched it earlier. It instantly became one of my favourites as well. Glad you like it that much.
    It's just a tremendous film
    "Whom the Gods notice they destroy...be small and you will escape the jealousy of the great" The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Young adult novel films review time! (I ran out of sci-fi things to watch....)

The Hunger Games
    So we meet whatever her name was who is part of the poorest of the 12 colonies and her little sister gets picked to be part of battle royale and she volunteers in her place. Also a boy that fancies her is picked and a lot of the story is him trying to win her over while she pines over her way hotter mini-thor boyfriend from the poor place. When we get to the actual games they're filled with shakey-cam and some pretty terrible CGI monkey-dog things. It's fairly low budget looking and really could have done with a lot more money behind it.
    2/5
    Not great but not terrible

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
    Supposedly the second film of a series but for all intents and purposes this is merely the first film done again with a much bigger budget and everything looks a million times better and everyone puts on a better performance. There's a twist ending out of nowhere right at the very end that sets up the next one.
    3/5
    Decent enough

I haven't seen 3 part 1 yet as I'm waiting for 3 part 2 to come out, I am not waiting a year between parts......
    Going off the rise in quality they may well be worth watching.

Divergent
    Another dystopian future world but this time we get 5 factions as part of the only city left on the planet. We see the main character Tris find out she doesn't really fit so she picks the parkour faction who do the policing and we see her try to fit in and encounter a few others like her. It's a good cast and everyone puts on a decent performance and the world while having a daft premise feels real enough as it doesn't get picked apart much, plus there was enough money thrown at the special effects and sets for it to look good.
    3/5
    It's good.

Insurgent
    Carrying on from Divergent, they've escaped and have to get back to open the maguffin that was the cause of all the crap in the first film. Also all the laser guns have been swapped out for different ones for some reason. We see more of the world and this isn't really a good thing as it shows the flaws in the premise of the film and a lot of things just happen and we're left thinking we didn't really get any warning about it. The final testing bit is nice and flashy looking but as it's all CGI it doesn't quite feel right and we get thrown another curveball in the plot. It's not as good as Divergent largely as the plot doesn't really hold up to scrutiny and several performances from good actors fall flat as they're not given enough to work with.
    2.5/5
    It's okay but it feels like the writers just took a first draft and used that.

This is another film series where part 3 comes in 2 parts a year apart but the first part isn't out yet so it'll be a long wait, on the plus side the second one wasn't good enough that I'm actually all that bothered about having to wait that long.
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaines Wrath View Post
    It's just a tremendous film

@Urgat: By all means, do so. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it, specially if you like Walken.

Quote Originally Posted by theunwantedbeing View Post

Insurgent
    [...]
    2.5/5
    It's okay but it feels like the writers just took a first draft and used that.
    Woah, didn't think I'd see the day you'd be more lenient than I am. I found it complete trash. Full of absurd scenes, ridiculous reactions, incoherent changes of heart, cliché scenes (the hair cutting ). And you can, at every minute of the movie, guess what is going to happen in the next five minutes. It is that original.

I'd also have put a worse note to Hunger Games (the first one), but I'd read the books not long before when I saw it, and it's not good to judge a movie based on the book, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Kallus View Post
    Aye, seen both (good films). I think its getting fairly difficult for me to find something different that I havent seen these days
    I think the last horror film that...well not scared but unsettled me heavily (which for me is far worse) was It Follows or The Babadook. Have you seen either? The Babadook is probably closer to what you are asking for with 'Haunted films' (as they aren't really the in thing these days unless you like your Paranormal Activity type films).

It Follows just had this weird unsettling tone that just creeps up on you and stays consistent. Technically it follows the haunting theme too, depending on how broad you are willing to go

Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    Woah, didn't think I'd see the day you'd be more lenient than I am. I found it complete trash. Full of absurd scenes, ridiculous reactions, incoherent changes of heart, cliché scenes (the hair cutting ). And you can, at every minute of the movie, guess what is going to happen in the next five minutes. It is that original.

I'd also have put a worse note to Hunger Games (the first one), but I'd read the books not long before when I saw it, and it's not good to judge a movie based on the book, I guess.
    That's what made it appeal to me, but then a friend and I approached it with the mindset of 'this will be a bit rubbish so lets enjoy it for that'. We had a whale of a time giggling through it at the cinema, especially anytime Jai Courtney popped on screen. We did wonder if he was that intentionally hammy or not.
    Last edited by blackcherry; 27-08-2015 at 10:42.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

The camerawork in the first Hunger Games was almost indescribably bad. There was exactly one (1) shot in the entire movie that lasted longer than ten seconds, and the cutting made no sense (switching closeups on characters mid-sentence in conversations, for example). It felt like the editor was an ADD preteen hopped up on speed. When the cinematography is actively annoying and distracting, something has gone terribly wrong.

As a series (talking about the books) I found the first one passable, the second mediocre, and the third actively bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to glue and buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FraustyTheSnowman View Post
    Anything else I have to say has already been said by Col Shaw...listen to the lego man, he's wise.
    "Ember of Dreams"
    http://www.amazon.com/Ember-Dreams-C...0408773&sr=1-1

Most of the YA novels these days are garbage and their rushed film translations are even worse.

I will never stop lambasting The Maze Runner (and its upcoming sequel 'The Scorch Trials') for how mindbogglingly retarded its antagonists and plot are.

The Room

Oh my, this movie lives up to its infamy in every possible way. Its fascinating, somehow its more than a b rate movie but nothing you could call a genuine movie. At best its a brilliant study for film students to learn how not to make a film. The history behind this movie and its creator is incredible, I was fortunate to watch it with my brother and a friend who have both studied the hell out of this film. Actors concussed on set while acting, reappearing pieces of cake, the jumping wine glass, the flower shop scene...every moment feels somehow simultaneously insignificant and planned.

Watch it with friends who know the movie and its history, you will get so much more out of it.

Watch It

Hercules

This is the one with The Rock. it is loads better than the one that came out around the same time. It even has John Hurt in it.

The Greek Phalanx in the film actually kind of fights like a Greek phalanx should. Of course, the heroes are out in front of it, completely ruining the idea of a Phalanx, but the rest is solid. There is just the right amount of de-constructing of the myths to make it fun.

This is a solid film, but can't make it over the bump to being really good.

Three Outlaw Samurai

This was made in 1964(?) and is available to watch on Youtube with English Dubs. I enjoyed it.

The main samurai characters actually start the movie on opposite sides, and it is only the actions of the Magistrate that bring them together to try to take him down.

Samurai Vendetta

This one is also on Youtube from 1958 (?). It is in color, but their are no subs. Essentially, a samurai accidentally kills one of the lords dogs, and another one covers for him. This bonds them, even though they have very different backgrounds.

Bad stuff happens and the debt of honor must be repaid.... IN BLOOD!

Or I could be totally wrong because I don't speak Japanese!

Daredevil

No, not the Ben Affleck one. I watched the Netflix series. It was good, but felt a little bit batman to me. I know, I know. It's Daredevil, he practically is Marvel's Batman. I liked that he supporting characters all had important stories and a part to play. Daredevil and his heroics was only one story line within many important ones.

Some people really hate how the Kingpin is depicted. I liked it. It was very humanizing, but still very, very bad.

I look forward to another season.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

I did like Hercules. It's a silly film that flags a bit in the middle, but it doesn't take itself seriously (the Rock pushes a giant statue down on the villains at the end!).
    Last edited by blackcherry; 02-09-2015 at 09:37.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Yeah, that one's reasonably entertaining. Better than I expected it to be.

Her (2013)
    Joaquin Phoenix stars in this quiet relationship drama set in the near future (where the fashion is, for some reason, 70s retro). Scarlett Johansson co-stars as an AI and does a better job at it than I expected her to. The (minor) problems I have with this movie is that ScarJo starts off as too perferct, and the scene where she's initialized is rather too comedic for my taste. Other than that the acting is great, the cinematography is excellent (much out the outside scenes are shot in Shanghai standing in for future LA) and the script (by director Spike Jonze) leaves you thinking.

Verdict: Must See!
    (five out of five)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)
    Decent enough action movie for kids. The action sequence down a mountain (in New York, apparently!) is far too long and silly, you can tell that a significant part of the plot was changed in reshoots (William Fichtner ends up not being Shredder, which was the initial plan) but otherwise it's okay. I like that Shredder has several fights with the Turtles throughout the movie, instead of just one big showdown at the end, and the Turtles themselves were well realised.

Verdict: Watchable
    (three out of five)
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes

Been awhile, fellow Warseers! Let's get to it...

The Babadook

Despite sounding like a Yorkshire euphemism for dropping a deuce, this was a surprisingly good film. I went into this expecting it to be yet another generic, forgettable, horror film for the kids of this generation. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. The film ticks all the right boxes in that it hearkens back to classic - I hate to say it, but...80's - horror films: atmosphere, suspense, tension and psychological horror as opposed to creature-of-the-week.

The story follows a grieving widow and her son, and an apparently supernatural terror that comes to visit. The themes and symbolism are, in hindsight, very much on the nose at the times, and it does leave some confusion when the film drifts between theme and the in-universe gribbly itself, but overall a genuinely spooky film.

Plus points:
    Some of the scenes featuring...the creature...made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Minus points:
    Whether due to budget or a technical decision, some scenes with the creature were really hard to make out. As in, I was left wondering if it was a budget issue or bad artistic direction.

Overall though, a definite Watch It.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiyamatoMusashi View Post
    Magnus' actions in wiping out most of the Astropaths on Terra when it was already too late just makes him look like a bumbling buffoon. He might as well finish up by saying "Uh-oh, spaghettios!" with a canned laughter track appended, then slipping over on a banana skin accompanied by a comedy whistle sound.

I liked the Rocks Hercules. It was good solid fun, plus anything that has Ian Mcshane in is a winner for me.

The Transporter (2002)
    It's like every other dumb actioner you've seen, except with a more baffling choice of music (an upbeat, light pop sort of thing).
    The director is apparently the same guy who did the Incredible Hulk - no wonder that didn't turn out well.

Verdict: Take it or Leave it
    (two out of five)
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes

Chapter Master theunwantedbeing's Avatar

Oldboy (2013)
    American remake of the original 2003 movie starring Josh Brolin, Elizabeth Olson and Sharlto Copley.
    It's a pretty decent remake, visually it looks nice and the acting is all good and we get a bunch of little nods to the original film.
    3/5
    Worth a watch but not as good as the original
    Plan B kill it with fire
    Meat is Murder tasty, tasty murder
    Quote Originally Posted by RanaldLoec View Post
    I would have to agree with The Unwantedbeing as he is a paragon of sense and reason in an unreasonable environment.

Page 305 of 355 FirstFirst ... 205 255 295 303 304 305 306 307 315 ... LastLast