Page 345 of 355 FirstFirst ... 245 295 335 343 344 345 346 347 ... LastLast
Results 6,881 to 6,900 of 7094

Thread: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

My earliest memory is of eating Ghostbusters cereal, getting the record with the theme song out of the box, then going to the zoo in Baltimore later that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahadras View Post
    ...because it had women in the lead roles because this is the 'excuse' that the studio, the director and the cast wheeled out the instant it became clear that people weren't impressed with what the movie had to offer....
    They did this with Fantastic Four and Johnny Storm being black. It was announced who the actors were and people said, "Why is he black and she is white?" and the official response was "you're all racists!" when, in fact, people were very much just asking for this to make sense, since they were brother and sister. Instead of going with "step siblings in this universe," they went with, "ALL THE CRITICS ARE RACISTS!!!" and stuck with it. I did see people who I'd consider closet racists, but I saw an overwhelming majority of "but doesn't make sense! BIOLOGY!"

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
    When do we get an Airwolf big budget movie?
    I watch Airwolf, like, every day. I honestly don't think they could make it a movie in this day and age. The premise wouldn't really work, I don't think.

Quote Originally Posted by theunwantedbeing View Post
    Probably some time after we get a terrible Knight Rider remake, so never hopefully.

They'll definitely release a shockingly awful version of the theme tune if we ever get either so I'de rather they didn't.

...but JW wasn't very good.
    They already gave us a terrible new Knight Rider. It was on tv and it was bad and it went away.

As for JW...let's just say I think your opinion is bad and you should feel bad
    This is a link to the Forum Rules.----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannimarco View Post
    Arrogant egotistical insane sadomasochists do not make good team players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnok View Post
    Loth loves GW. Irisado loves Chaos Eldars. Wintermute loves Firefly. Three simple truths of the Wastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothlanathorian View Post
    They did this with Fantastic Four and Johnny Storm being black. It was announced who the actors were and people said, "Why is he black and she is white?" and the official response was "you're all racists!" when, in fact, people were very much just asking for this to make sense, since they were brother and sister. Instead of going with "step siblings in this universe," they went with, "ALL THE CRITICS ARE RACISTS!!!" and stuck with it. I did see people who I'd consider closet racists, but I saw an overwhelming majority of "but doesn't make sense! BIOLOGY!"

Side note: apparently, nobody minds that Deadshot is played by Will Smith in Suicide Squad, too. It's almost like the (perceived for now, for suicide squad) quality of the movie is what matters!

You don't think there would be a geek uproar if they cast a non-white actress as Harley Quinn?

I think the lack of complaints about Deadshot is mainly due to 1) few people know much about the character, and 2) it's Will Smith.
    As a long-time Goblin player, I can reliably inform you that failure is ALWAYS an option.

Painting Log - Circle Orboros - Warpwolves FTW!
    Terrain Log - Circle Orboros themed terrain for Hordes

My earliest memory is of eating Ghostbusters cereal, getting the record with the theme song out of the box, then going to the zoo in Baltimore later that day.

Oh my friend...well I'm not calling you ignorant. But considering I know a brother and sister whose parents are interracial who are just like Sue and Johnny Storm in the film*, I found it believable. Far more believable than the wig Kate Mara wore for most of the film anyway .

I do think whole topics are conflated at times with a lot of disperate elements being banded into one topic (see: 40k Gen and Chaos players ). But also, its a real thing. We can't ignore that Ghostbusters got this much vitriol when other cult classics that were rebooted were mostly ignored or shrugged off.

It's not even saying people are openly racist/sexist** etc. Just that perhaps there is an underlying thing that means people react more venomously to a remake of something with a gender flipped cast, than if it was just a Seth Rogan comedy with James Franco, Seth Rogan and his other stoner pals playing the leads***. But also; the internet. Yeah - its bad for us haha.

Anyway, back on topic!

Neon Daemon

This is a really fun genre film. Nicolas Winding Refn seems to be a bit fan of 70's and 80's genre film in general and this is sort of like Valley of the Dolls but with more exploitation elements added. The plot itself is very basic - a new person moves to Los Angeles to try and become a model and gets picked up by an agency. Once she is inside the fashion world, she meets other models. There is something off about them and they really don't like that a young, beautiful woman has appeared to take their place..

As for the film itself, I think it will be polarising. There are a lot of things in it that are deliberately trying to push the envelope of what the average audience member may find acceptable to watch. But its done in a loving way that doesn't feel exploitative and instead feels like a nod to the genre films of the period NWR adores. I found myself enjoying it immensely, but then I enjoy that type of film making and what he was going for.

Watch if you like genre trash elevated to high art by a good sense of style.

*Minus the superpowers. Though I suppose being white is a super power when encountering the police.
    **Though hoo boy, there sure are a lot of people who are in Nerd culture and don't get the irony.
    **You want obvious, broad comedy - bleh. Though it wouldn't have been as bad as the script Dan Akroyd was trying to get going for GB3.
    Last edited by blackcherry; 13-07-2016 at 14:00.
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Blood for the Blood God!: My Word Bearers Plog

Quote Originally Posted by Avian View Post
    You don't think there would be a geek uproar if they cast a non-white actress as Harley Quinn?

I think the lack of complaints about Deadshot is mainly due to 1) few people know much about the character, and 2) it's Will Smith.
    Um... Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, anyone?

I'm sure some wacky fringe white supremacists took issue with it, but most in the general public seem to have totally forgotten that the character was originally white.

Not making excuses for racism here, but quality of actor and production really does matter in this sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to glue and buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FraustyTheSnowman View Post
    Anything else I have to say has already been said by Col Shaw...listen to the lego man, he's wise.
    "Ember of Dreams"
    http://www.amazon.com/Ember-Dreams-C...0408773&sr=1-1

Only thing that put me off new Ghostbusters is the fact that every apparently funny line in the trailers/commercials is shouted. That's ruined plenty of movies and shows for me. Anyone who has seen it, is it like that the whole movie?

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    Just like the trailer for the Lethal Weapon tv series.
    Haven't seen that. What the heck's going on though? I saw a Minority Report series and a Rush Hour show the other day.

To carry the theme of what seemed scary at the time in Ghostbusters - the eggs cooking themselves in the first film and the bathtub scene in the second (I was super sensitive to bad things happening to babies in film/television as a kid, so the pram running off on its own and into the street at the beginning freaked me out too).
    Please don't support the lazy klick-bait from sites like Natfka.
    My painting & gaming rooms journal: Fantasy, 40k, Epic 6mm, terrain & general sci-fi

The following are not real words: alot, abit, afew, ofcourse, atleast, addon, aswell...

Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    Hmmf, what's the original cast doing there, them? I don't like remakes, I prefer sequels/prequels. I don't want a retake on a story, I want the story expanded.
    They are there as completely different characters, just doing a cameo like Ozzy Osbourne does (yes, really).
    Bill Murray is a ghost sceptic, Dan Ackroyd is a cab driver, Ernie Hudson is Patty's uncle, Annie Potts is a hotel receptionist, Sigorney Weaver is Holtzmann'a mentor and Harold Ramis is a bust in the first university.

To be fair though, the original had cameos too. The reporters / TV presenters play themselves, and famously, Ron Jeremy is in one crowd scene.

Re - being scared at ghostbusters - I was quite lucky as my two elder brothers persuaded my mother to let me go see it with them. I was about 9 at the time? The library ghost scared me silly! It wasn't quite the first film I saw at the cinema, but close. ( It was Superman 2 - I can only vaguely remember it, but its still a favourite now. Kneel before Zod!)

I don't know.

Chapter Master

There was a kind of precedence for a black Nick Fury. They simply transplanted the Ultimate Universe Fury into the regular universe.

Personally, I would have preferred if they stuck with the original Fury as the Ultimate Universe never really grew on me. But... Meeh... Each to his own, as they say.

I honestly don't know how upset fans would be but I think it's a lot down to how it's perceived (basically why has the studio decided to do this). People will always grumble if they feel that a character is even slightly moved away from what is generally considered to be 'correct' (just take James Bond as an example). I tend to think that good trailers and good movies sell these changes to people and the best way for studios to deal with these complaints is to let their product do the talking. I think there's a lot more anger when a studio tries to defends a poor movie/trailer by falling back on -isms to try to shut down genuine criticism.

On the topic of movie reviews.

The Battle of Britain -

Like Waterloo this film has pride of place in my DVD collection. The movie chronicles the events of the summer and autumn of 1940 as the RAF and Luftwaffe battled it out over the skies of Southern England. It's difficult to know where to begin with this film. It has a all star cast (for the time). Over 100 aircraft were used (the director had the 35th largest air force in the world at one point) and all of the planes used were period (one of the Spitfires they used had fought in the real battle IIRC). Attention to detail is solid (they had veterans like Robert Stanford Tuck and Adolf Galland as consultants). It's rather long but is certainly worth a watch IMHO. I always use it in contrast with Pearl Harbour when I discuss good and bad war movies.
    Last edited by Kahadras; 13-07-2016 at 19:57.
    For it is in passing that we achieve immortality. Through this, we become a paragon of virtue and glory to rise above all. Infinite in distance and unbound by death, I release your soul, and by my shoulder, protect thee.

I have no idea what's up with those tv shows really. Seems like tv shows really had a good going recently (last 17 years), and now people want to sink them again by remakes. Kinda what they did with films.

Quote Originally Posted by zoggin-eck View Post
    ... (I was super sensitive to bad things happening to babies in film/television as a kid, ...)...
    That's interesting, because I didn't care as much when I was younger, but now the idea alone is creeping me out to no end.

And as for Harley Quinn - isn't she a whole bundle of problems people get up in arms about to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Urgat View Post
    Side note: apparently, nobody minds that Deadshot is played by Will Smith in Suicide Squad, too. It's almost like the (perceived for now, for suicide squad) quality of the movie is what matters!
    I was waiting for some sort of undercurrent, but it is Will Smith and he can do anything.

That.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry View Post
    Oh my friend...well I'm not calling you ignorant. But considering I know a brother and sister whose parents are interracial who are just like Sue and Johnny Storm in the film*, I found it believable. Far more believable than the wig Kate Mara wore for most of the film anyway .
    Not sure if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying or if you misread my post. I am saying that, yes, there are reasons for them to be different races, this is fine. What happened, though, was people asked to know what reason would be given in the movie and, instead, anyone who questioned this was labeled a racist. Also, I'm going to send you a message on FB relevant to this because it's something I think is...interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ColShaw View Post
    Um... Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, anyone?

I'm sure some wacky fringe white supremacists took issue with it, but most in the general public seem to have totally forgotten that the character was originally white.

Not making excuses for racism here, but quality of actor and production really does matter in this sort of thing.
    Since, at the time, the most popular* Fury was very much purposely made to look and sound like Samuel L. Jackson, Mr. Jackson being cast in that role was seen as the greatest fan-******* of all time.

*616 Nick Fury wasn't relevant at all in comics at the time and The Ultimates was one of Marvel's most popular books. Samuel L. Jackson himself grew up as a fan of Nick Fury and, upon finding out that, in the comics, he WAS Nick Fury, thought it was the coolest mother ******* thing ever. Then they asked him if he'd play him and his stipulation was, basically, "Only if I get to be in all of the movies."
    Loth loves GW. Irisado loves Chaos Eldars. Wintermute loves Firefly. Three simple truths of the Wastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Avian
    A black woman doing whiteface... yeah, that's gotta be the mother of all publicity nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry
    Oh my friend...well I'm not calling you ignorant. But considering I know a brother and sister whose parents are interracial who are just like Sue and Johnny Storm in the film*, I found it believable. Far more believable than the wig Kate Mara wore for most of the film anyway.
    Yes, and if the director or film studio had explained that from the start, it would have probably quickly blown over and been forgotten long before the film hit cinemas. Instead, they got defensive, explained nothing about their reasoning behind the casting and simply claimed Michael B Jordan was the best guy for the job, and anyone disputing it was racist. Michael B Jordan responding to the controversy by publicly stating "They'll see it anyway" was a great insight into the mentality of Hollywood and practically dared people not to see the film.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcherry
    We can't ignore that Ghostbusters got this much vitriol when other cult classics that were rebooted were mostly ignored or shrugged off.
    Ghostbusters isn't so much a cult classic as mainstream pop culture. It's not a brand limited to a small niche crowd like most of the others, and the internet is no longer limited to basement dwelling geeks. Most everybody now has a voice on the internet, and the moment anything even remotely political or controversial happens, there are people with agendas who make sure it goes viral over social media accounts to the public at large, who in turn are more than happy to then make their own commentaries.

It's worth noting that Sony have also been deliberately fanning the flames and using it for their marketing, even going so far as to deliberately remove any legitimate criticisms in the responses to the trailers on youtube, while purposefully leaving behind the most sexist and hate filled commentaries. They apparently want the controversy for the free publicity it has drummed up, and since they can play it up to the female demographics that the film would have been originally aimed at in the first place, it has probably worked for them.

Quote Originally Posted by f2k
    Personally, I would have preferred if they stuck with the original Fury as the Ultimate Universe never really grew on me. But... Meeh... Each to his own, as they say.
    I'm not sure David Hasselhoff would have had the same impact.

So after much resistance I started my Netflix test month. And I just watched Drive again, so I'm somewhat happy.

However, doesn't the offering of films on Netflix look quite limited? In ways I don't quite understand. There's Crank, but not Crank 2? Red Dawn, the remake, but not the original? And all films look like they're incredibly recent. There are some classics in there (Scrooged, French Connection, etc.), but those are very, very few. I'm aware that this is only Netflix Austria and I hope I somehow still got some filter on, but this is not quite convincing me. Is using a VPN service a must when dealing with Netflix? What are your experiences with it?

edit: okay, okay, i'll just watch stuff I haven't seen before and enjoy and then just make my mind up if i should go on with netflix. I'll just enjoy this.

Yeah, my Netflix sounds to be much more expansive than yours. From what I understand, there's a lot of contract finaglery that goes into what movies/shows they have, when they can have, and where they can be available. There's a lot of excellent "B" horror films.

I'm going to send you a message on FB relevant to this because it's something I think is...interesting.
    Ta dude. I'll take a look later

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    So after much resistance I started my Netflix test month. And I just watched Drive again, so I'm somewhat happy.

However, doesn't the offering of films on Netflix look quite limited?
    Yeah, my Netflix sounds to be much more expansive than yours. From what I understand, there's a lot of contract finaglery that goes into what movies/shows they have, when they can have, and where they can be available. There's a lot of excellent "B" horror films.
    What Loth said. Due to rights issues (and this not being the wild west anymore so lots of companies would sue Netflix into oblivion if they broke with any of them) some films are limited to certain territories. The US Netflix gets more Doctor Who on it than the UK Netflix, for example. You will also get a bit of a rotation of films and choices from time to time as rights expire and Netflix goes after other films or TV shows.

Overall, its great and, as Loth said again, there are some great B Films on there. If you can watch them and a bigger budget ones, you've paid for your £5 a month several times over
    Here is a link to the WarSeer Forum FAQ. Please read it. Want to support WarSeer? Here's how.

Yeah, I think in Germany/Austria there are additional problems based on how Netflix was launched relatively recently, so many rights had been held by Sky and such. Plus, there's the problem of additional rights holders in German and Austrian TV companies AND the german language dub rights.

However, I have to admit that somehow I probably hadn't grasped all the offers which seem to get more and more as I browse stuff. The state of things with BBC productions seems to be weird anyway. We get Dr.Who and Top Gear, but of either just 5 seasons and of those I think not even all of the episodes. It's weird.

Anyway, I watched Drive, which is great. Then I watched Guardians of the Galaxy (2014):

It's about a scoundrell who calls himself starlord and is an incredibly buff rogueish type and a bunch of his friends (green girl, rocket racoon, groot and dave batista) who have to grow together as a team to save the universe because they got a little artifact and the bad guy wants it to destroy everything. You all have seen it anyway.

Wow, this is a crude film. Well, crude is too harsh a word. Let's say it's very, very unsubtle. Of course it's not BAD, because at that point they had figured out how to make these films. And none of the characters is unlikeable. But at no point it leaves any doubt what so ever what the film expects you to think of what's happening right now or how to feel about the characters, their motivations and their actions. Of course Rocket is funny (even though two thirds of close-up shots of him looked like they were made for the trailer exclusively.) and of course the main dude is funny. And of course the bad guy is bad and does bad things. I found the last 45 minutes or so, that big end fight stuff, a bit long and a bit bad. It made very clear though (along with earlier scenes) that Hollywood films can have people pilot planes into things again which then explode.

I liked that this is a space opera rather than a superhero film. Otherwise it felt very, very processed and I think I have never seen a film that feels more like eating at McDonald's, with all the good and bad.

Take it or Leave it. Hard to tell if I liked Avengers of this one better. I think Avengers. Oh, and I had heard that Howard the Duck is in the film and I kept on looking hard if he's in the background somewhere. But then right in the end there he was, big and fat, even saying things.

So glad I'm not the only person who watched GotG and walked away feeling like, while it wasn't a waste of time, it wasn't the fap-fodder everyone else seemed to think it was.

Also, on Netflix, you get Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Those two things alone are worth the fee.

Also, on Netflix, you get the few decent episodes of Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Those two things alone are worth the fee.
    Corrected. Daredevil still can't make it's mind up what it wants to be. Still, it has good bits. Mostly the villains like Punisher and Kingpin.

*cue Loth screaming about this take on Kingpin*

Yeeeaaah... errrrr.... dunno if I want to 'commit' to a Marvel tv show. I do keep hearing good things about Jessica Jones though.

I started watching Fargo though. Hadn't even known that Martin Freeman was on this. Good fun so far, keeps me guessing. Billy Bob Thornton is so bloody good in everything.

Page 345 of 355 FirstFirst ... 245 295 335 343 344 345 346 347 ... LastLast