Page 353 of 355 FirstFirst ... 253 303 343 351 352 353 354 355 LastLast
Results 7,041 to 7,060 of 7094

Thread: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

Chapter Master

Re: Mini Movie Reviews 2 - The Reviewening

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore View Post
    I think you'll find that you're making an assumption around the appearance of manga characters. The japanese don't think their characters are 'a bit caucausian', they're a stylised japanese cartoon character.

How you perceive their appearance (and I can only imagine you're referring to their eyes) and how the japanese perceive their appearance is very different.
    Actually, I'm thinking more of their facial structure and skin colour, both of which I find have more in common with caucasians than asians.

But then again, as a caucasian that's how I perceive it. Not much I can do about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Whitwort Stormbringer View Post
    Hmm, if you were turned off by the trailers I might give it a skip, then. My enjoyment of the movie was really centered on the setting and the spectacle of it, which is mostly what you get in the trailer. There's not enough story or intrigue to carry it.
    Not exactly turned off. Just... Indifferent...

I got the same feeling I had when I saw the trailers to Civil War. Yes, there's plenty of action. Yes, it's all nicely choreographed. Yes, the CGI is nicely done... But somehow Hollywood managed to twist and turn the plot and characters to the point where they completely lost the original intent behind the Civil War story line.

Went and saw it anyway. Wasn't exactly disappointed (but then again, I wasn't expecting much in he first place so...), but I don't consider it a particularly good movie either.

I'd expect this movie to be much the same. A big spectacle that somehow managed to miss the intent behind the original story.

Chapter Master Whitwort Stormbringer's Avatar

Could be, as I said I can't really comment on it as an adaptation. I think, for me, a good comparison would be Pacific Rim. It was a movie with absolutely beautiful aesthetics, excellent world-building, adequate plot, ok acting, and mediocre intrigue. I personally loved Pacific Rim, more than I liked Ghost in the Shell, but I recognize it's shortcomings. It's a really fun movie to watch much more than it is a good story.
    The great thing about the dwarves is that, even though there's this comic element, when they fight - they really fight!

My infrequently updated nerd blog.

Quote Originally Posted by f2k View Post
    Actually, I'm thinking more of their facial structure and skin colour, both of which I find have more in common with caucasians than asians.

But then again, as a caucasian that's how I perceive it. Not much I can do about that...

well no. I see this argument a lot though from Americans discussing how people 'appear' in manga. American comics are stylised as well, they're just stylised in different ways.

To japanese readers, characters in manga are japanese.

All the characters in Azumanga Daioh are japanese school girls

https://hilery.files.wordpress.com/2...anga-daioh.jpg

The point being that the stylised nature of manga makes any 'ethnicity' claims based on appearance pretty hard.
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

Quote Originally Posted by Whitwort Stormbringer View Post
    Could be, as I said I can't really comment on it as an adaptation. I think, for me, a good comparison would be Pacific Rim. It was a movie with absolutely beautiful aesthetics, excellent world-building, adequate plot, ok acting, and mediocre intrigue. I personally loved Pacific Rim, more than I liked Ghost in the Shell, but I recognize it's shortcomings. It's a really fun movie to watch much more than it is a good story.
    I loved Pacific Rim as well. Then I had the misfortune of trying to watch it on TV. Horrible. Embarassing.

About Ghost in the Shell - I probably won't watch the new one any time soon, but the original (which of course is very cool. No, I haven't read the mangas or watched the tv show(s?), because why would I?) was mostly for mood - which it got across masterfully - and visuals too. Of course there were some very cool ideas in there as well.

I happened across a film I'd never heard of, starring Robert DeNiro, Edward Norton and Milla Jovovich. I was quite surprised.

Stone (2010)

DeNiro is a parole dude (just like Tommy Lee Jones in Double Jeopardy) and one month away from retirement, he basically gets his last case who is the dude called Stone (Ed Norton) who is an arsonist and DeNiro has to assess if the guy is to be resocialized or not. They talk and talk and talk, Stone wants to get into DeNiro's head, maybe manages to do that, maybe not. Stone's wife (Milla Jovovich) plays a role in that too. So does DeNiro's wife (the mom from Six Feet Under I think.).

Milla Jovovich is a very, very, very, very pretty lady and it's cool to see her in a dark, slow-burning thriller type film. Actually, it was great seeing all of these actors be in such a film. It's very character-driven, dialogue-heavy and extremely moody affair. The relationship between DeNiro and his wife is portrayed very impactfully in that it draws this picture of those two people having NOTHING to say to each other any more. The film gets this coldness across really well. Maybe a bit too heavily even, between too many drinks and weird bible-reading sessions. Those are a bit self-indulgent by the way. Cutting in pictures of locusts and such. Bit much. I mean the theme with retirement being just around the corner there is a slightly apocalyptic feeling to the whole film. And DeNiro plays this dude really desperate and frustrated. Norton plays this convict as a superficially sympathetic, calm, but probably manipulative guy. On the other hand, he comes across as the most sincere person in the whole film. All the people in this film are not necessarily evil or even bad people (probably), but mostly a product of decisions they made in the past and which they now regret as they see their time running out.

It's not a great film, but it's an interesting one. Watch It, for the performances and the mood.

I'm looking forward to a movie I just found out about with Samuel L. Jackson and Ryan Reynolds called The Hitman's Bodyguard. The song for the trailer is so wrong on many levels. https://youtu.be/F4Afusxc2SM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Shield View Post
    I'm looking forward to a movie I just found out about with Samuel L. Jackson and Ryan Reynolds called The Hitman's Bodyguard. The song for the trailer is so wrong on many levels. https://youtu.be/F4Afusxc2SM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Yeah, it might be good, but also has a lot of potential for Ryan Reynolds doing a lot of Reynoldsy banter and a very by-the-numbers buddy action film. Let's see.

Kick-Ass (2010)

Hey, I just watched this. And I actually mostly liked it. The pop music and the lots of shooting and the one-liners and the girl led me to grunt a few times. Wow, this makes me sound really, really old. Anyway, it was alright. Nicholas Cage putting on the make-up could have gone on for a minute and a half. It was hypnotizing. That was a bunch of good characters, and yet it was a comicbook film. Around the time a lot of similar comicbook films set in real world were released. Haven't seen the one with Woody Harrelson (which I think is deemed to be the best?), but I did see Super. Which was ...eeeeh..alright-ish? Up to towards the end.

Anyway, opposed to what I thought Kick-Ass is watchable. Watch it. Or take it or leave it.

Ha, tomorrow Jack Reacher is on TV. This is a film you should watch. It's good.

Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)

Haha, look at that. It's the 5h Resident Evil film. The first one I watched in the cinema and apart from Michelle Rodriguez I didn't like it. Since then all kinds of crazy stuff happened.

The funny thing is that it seems like at this point the story behind this film series is even crazier than the one behind the video games series. And that's quite something. Not that it matters of course, because for ages (probably always) these films are about showcases, set pieces and visuals. This one probably is the most honest about this as well, because it's basically all about Alice (who by now has super powers and is as weapon, but also has lots of clones and Umbrella sell those clones because they have superpowers. And there are also clones of a bunch of other people from the films' past, most notably Michelle Rodriguez! Hooray!). Umbrella, who must offer the wackiest workplaces this side of Google, have set up something like a killy theme park. It's an idea that boggles the mind: They set up these huge domes which basically are holo suites (but, like, huge, you know) which simulate downtown Moscow, Manhattan, Berlin, Tokyo and Beijing. Each of them I think is a huge dome in itself even though it's just simulations, but they're all filled with clones of real people who get implanted with JUST enough memories to react emotional to extreme situations. And then Umbrella kill them all with bio weapons and such and use that as a presentation to sell these weapons to super powers. I'm not sure if this actually a good basis for a high concept sci-fi film or a horrible one, but all of that doesn't matter because it's Resident Evil.

This film is video gamier than the video game (this one must have gotten released around the time of RE6, right?). There are clearly structured levels, characters are introduced, there are cutscenes between long and meticulously choreographed action sequences and dialogues are nothing but exposition about either what the hell just happened or what is going to happen or why. In between that we see Milla Jovovich run around in bondage gear and shoot a lot of guns at a lot of people or zombies or monsters in the head, all while doing martial artsy stuff.

A few days ago I hear something interesting about films in which there are lots of shootings or explosions the sound of those explosions and shots get turned down in volume and are shortened, otherwise people would get annoyed very soon. This was very evident with this one I thought. A gunshot and punching someone is about the same sound levels in this film.

On the side there is that blonde guy with the great hair and his weird bunch of mercenaries who also fight a lot and it's not really clear why they do. I think there's also a lady with magic powers in there as well, but at some point I didn't pay as much attention any more. I do know that Wesker turns up and he looks like Max Headroom with amazing plastic yellow hair and incredibly silly exposition dialogue. He's very entertaining.

There also is a scene in which Milla Jovovich's character shows one of Michelle Rodriguez' characters how to fire a gun. I heard of this scene before, based on how odd it is, as Rodriguez is 200% more natural badass than Jovovich of course. It's like Chris Pratt showing William Shatner how to captain a spaceship.

Anyway, the film is interesting and mesmerizing because it doesn't give a dang about you and your silly little sensibilities. All the RE films for several films already are a weird anomaly, kinda like Underworld (but less annoying looking). Or like the Transformers films. But those always seem to aim to please people (at least the kind of people marketing departments make up and which show marketing department's general destain for the human race). For a while the Saw films were like that as well, but more approachable I think. The RE films only exist to entertain a very certain audience they made themselves.

The good thing about these is that by just reading the title you know if you want to watch it or not, and for 98% of us it will be a firm "no, why would I?". But sometimes you just stumble across it on TV and it's a thing to have on in the back and it's so odd and out-there that for a while it gets almost interesting. The action scenes are absolutely well done, in that over-choreographed early 2000s way. The whole look of the film looks like it's rendered sequences. There is nothing raw or natual about it. People in this film don't have glands, they have strategic glazing. People aren't dirty, they only get a symbolic smudge of black on the cheek after they just exploded. There is no story, it's just action set pieces strung together via exposition dialogues. It is the perfect video game film. It doesn't pretend it's anything but that. It's to be looked at. You see a bunch of pretty people who have ONE layer of character at the most who exchange exposition between action sequences along with urgent film music.

One thing I have to admit: The last shot is awesome (and I don't use this word lightly).

No verdict needed, it's Resident Evil: Retribution. It's really nice that the Andersons do things together. I thing these RE films keep their marriage in order and I would like to believe that they live and work together joyfully. I don't think that there will be (m)any more RE films for a while, so it would be cool to see both of them do different things again.

Stick figure on a beach Arnizipal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellebore View Post
    All the characters in Azumanga Daioh are japanese school girls

https://hilery.files.wordpress.com/2...anga-daioh.jpg
    Even the cat?
    Come join the discussion at the Warseer Anime Fan Group

Quote Originally Posted by MOMUS View Post
    Nah Arni, it's not your fault you're old and cranky

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    Even the cat?
    Well, before clicking on the picture I was going to say the cat is the dad of one of them, but then I looked, and it isn't that cat.
    Of the major cats, the one in the picture is the least important. Though he does have a gang.

Though to nitpick Hellebore, there are also adults (mostly teachers), and even a couple school boys.
    A foreigner also does wander into the story briefly, and the crew mostly freaks out about talking to him. He is, quite naturally, asking for directions. The girls are quite impressed that their English teacher turns out to be actually competent at conversing with foreigners. This is far enough along in the manga that their surprise is... not surprising.

Hmm. I need to revisit Azumanga. Its quietly funny and occasionally disturbing.
    Last edited by Voss; 21-04-2017 at 01:10.
    ----------------------------------
    And lo, the Return!

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Of the major cats, the one in the picture is the least important.
    Kami-neko is still important in Sakaki's storyline

The girls are quite impressed that their English teacher turns out to be actually competent at conversing with foreigners.
    The anime kind of ruined it due to the voice actress not being able to speak English all that well though.

Chapter Master

Went to see Ghost in the Shell yesterday. A bit against my better judgement, but I had a free ticket and nothing else to use it on so...

Well...

What can I say?

This is one of the rare movies I've actually bothered to see that's so bad I'll give it a Burn It With Fire! rating.

Is that fair? Perhaps not, but when you try to adapt a franchise such as this you'll have to accept being judged based on what went before.

Spoilers ahead. Not that you'll have much trouble predicting what's going to happen in the movie, but even so...

Chapter Master

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 today. It was... ok... ish?

It started out silly, but fun and ramped quickly up to ridiculous. And then side stepped into a complete tone shift and a giant pile of cliches (such 'gems' as pointless emotional fight with passive aggressive nonsense, emotional distance, and the usual schticks revolving around families and being true to yourself and lalalala bossfight that just won't stop)

There were a couple elements that were good. Mostly the visuals, especially the way the planet changes as things get tense. A sense of scale to the universe. Some of the planets (Contraxia particularly) were really interesting.

The bad:
    no one in this movie has any motivation to do... any of the things that they're doing. Except possibly Taserface, who actually has an understandable progression, but he was a joke character and rather dumb.

they literally sit down and explain the metaphor of the theme song. In case, you know, you missed the several other times they talk about it, sing it or play it.

Even expecting Kurt Russell to do something along the lines of what he was doing (from being familiar with comics)... it didn't make any sense. His entire motivation for honestly millions of years was 'not be alone.' So... yeah.
    Nitpick: Also not a

The ridiculous and chuckle worthy scenes in the first half of the film kind of wander off in an effort to be turned up to 11. Sadly, by the time they hit their 'climax' with the weird hyperspace effects, they aren't funny anymore and the film isn't even about that any longer. So its just dissonant.

The gold people. They're collectively a bunch of tossers. They're also not interesting, except for the very brief credits set up for a different film. And that isn't interesting for its own sake, but more for the 'oh just get on with Infinity War already.' Get it over with so we can move on with interesting plots and maybe a decent villain or two. (Crossing my fingers for Hela, in that I hope she's decent and not yet another throwaway)

The audio. Especially in the second half, the sound effects simply eat the dialogue.

The weird, aka the cameos:
    Speaking of funny, and the gold people... Ben Browder [Farscape, the last couple seasons of Stargate that people don't talk about] briefly shows up, and... Ben Browders [he has one acting mode: himself] at the High Priestess. The audience in the theatre apparently felt this was hilarious, even though I doubt they even knew who he was.

The original Guardians of the Galaxy. This was actually the comic (well, the 90s version) I was familiar with as a kid (and generally had no idea who the movie cast was). Why they're here, why they're Ravagers and why they're famous folks doing cameos for a minimal amount of screen time is really confusing, and completely unexplained in the context of the film.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardi...xy_(1969_team)
    link says 1969, but the comic cover shown is the 1990 version.

So... yeah. Decent first half, tedious second half, and rather aimless.
    Last edited by Voss; 13-05-2017 at 03:58.
    And lo, the Return!

Even expecting Kurt Russell to do something along the lines of what he was doing (from being familiar with comics)... it didn't make any sense. His entire motivation for honestly millions of years was 'not be alone.' So... yeah.
    Nitpick: Also not a
    Were they actually mentioned as being that?
    I've seen the two movies as a double feature, and I recall them being called powerful individuals but that specific name didn't ring any bells when it was introduced in the second movie.

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Arnizipal View Post
    Were they actually mentioned as being that?
    I've seen the two movies as a double feature, and I recall them being called powerful individuals but that specific name didn't ring any bells when it was introduced in the second movie.
    Not in the Collectors highlight reel, no. But c'mon. Those were actual Celestials, doing what Celestials do (purging lesser races that don't measure up). And Knowhere is noted as the severed head of a Celestial being. Yes, they're being less dogmatic about it, but that's why it's a nitpick. It isn't like there is a limit on stupidly powerful entities in the Marvel Universe.

It would be equally weird if, after this movie and the several cameos, they call some other species the Watchers.
    And lo, the Return!

Ant-Man (2015)

It's about a man who's a burglar and he becomes Ant-Man. You all have seen it anyway.

And now I have as well. What a nice, wholesome family film. I'm not sure what to think of Ant-Man's friends. I do like Ant-Man. He isn't funny, the only one-liners he makes are lame dad-jokes, but without the film winking at us how much of a dad joke that just was. He's a good, decent guy. I also like the lady in that film. She was effective. Is she the Wasp? I don't know much about superhero comics, but that suit she got in the end looked like...something like that. AND I know that she gets eaten by Bastian Booger or the Blob or something like that.

It really has an 80s family film vibe. Not just because we see people interact with a giant ant. It's colourful and has just the right amount of stuff going on, but it still is 'small' compared to the Iron Mans and the Captain Americas.

The special effects aren't very good I thought. The shrinky-biggie-stuff looked alright, but it wasn't all that flashy (which is good), but overall the effects just didn't look very good. Mid-way through the film I checked the budget on the film and it turned out it's 130 million dollars. I don't know the first thing about Hollywood filmmaking, but for THAT film it's preposterously much. Didn't detract from the film much, but it's weird. One more thing on the look of the whole thing: it's filmed/cut in a way that you kinda can keep track of what people are doing. With a superhero like that that's not too easy a task. This could have been a seizure-inducing mess, but it was clear and bright and fine. I really like the look of the Ant-Man suit too.

Overall the film felt alright. Very much by the numbers, but it didn't feel like all the other Marvel films (which at this point I'm really sick of), more like a real film. Stuff's being telegraphed of course, and there are no real surprises. The end was too long, but endings always are on these bloody films. There were some pretty inventive set pieces.

The tank keychain thing was stupid and it looked really bad when it came out of the wall. The sub-atomic quantum stuff was solved GREAT. This was very, very, very closely to me giving up on the whole thing, but then it just turned out trippy and basically Star Trek - The Motion Picture. Really good.

Who's the step-dad guy? He was great. He looks like the dad from the Wonder Years if you added 2% Richard Kind.

Watch It. It's a nice film. But still - 130 million dollars?? 30 Years ago they'd have made a film with the same impact, it would have been a cult film by now (it would have been on MST3k for sure if made by Golan-Globus or someone. Not, id it'd been made by Disney. Very much felt like an 80s Disney family film though.) for half or a quarter that budget. I loved how some of the effects actually took place off-screen, like when the ants bring the suit into the jail cell for him to flee, the bigging up of the suit happens off-screen while the camera's pointed at Paul Rudd's face, pretending wonderment.

Perhaps the best Stan Lee cameo in any Marvel film.

I also enjoyed how Antman's friend started his stories with some improbable event.
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
    Perhaps the best Stan Lee cameo in any Marvel film.
    The trailer for Deadpool 2 is still my favourite, I suppose that is neither a marvel film nor strictly speaking a film.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Engel View Post
    There are WAY better outlets for your sexual frustration on the Internet than Necrons.
    The Lost and the Discounted

The Cleave-man Browns

La La Land

Did anyone else notice that this was basically the plot of the Jason Seagal Muppet Movie? This movie needed 100% mor emuppets to make it enjoyable.

This was a slog, and I like Singin' in the Rain. . Contemplate that on the tree of woe!

Pass
    Do you like free wargames?
    http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/

Ruby Sparks (2012)

Paul Dano is a youngster author wunderkind who landed a surprise hit at 19 and now can't write any more. He starts dreaming of some girl and that's all one should know before watching this.

It's not really a romantic comedy in the horrible genre sense. Paul Dano is really good. He should be completely obnoxious given the tone of the film and the character and all, but he's actually likeable. The girl who plays Ruby Sparks to my knowledge also wrote the thing, which of course makes one think of the film Soultaker, which also was written and stars a red-haired girl as a love interest.

The whole plot isn't really amazingly surprising, but the concept is very interesting. It's been around for thousands of years, but it's rarely used in film form. The whole thing gets pretty clear during a dialogue between Dano and his brother. It's not an entirely good film. It's got a good cast and a nice tone (it was made by the peeps who did Little Miss Sunshine, so of course they get the mood right). The very end is a bit lame and I could have done with a more reasonable ending, but I guess some people appreciate the ending they went for more.

Take it or leave it.But it's okay. Paul Dano is a very good actor. Of course the film isn't as good as Little Miss Sunshine (while the ending on that was annoying as well when i think of it. When you watch the film it's probably bearable, but in theory it's stupid.) The German dubbed version is horrible (especially the girl's part. It's nobody's fault but the imperative's which dictates that German dubby scripts sometimes attempt language which sounds realistic and how people talk based on their stupid version of a language which nobody ever uses to actually talk to other real people.).

Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders 2016

With the sad news of Adam west passing on, I gave this new animated version of his batman a go.
    Its a love letter to the original 60's series and the writers know their stuff. Very enjoyable and silly, it pokes gentle fun at the 1989 batman, dark knight trilogy and the comics. Its also not afraid to poke fun at itself and gives a knowing wink about how silly and camp it all is. There is a lot of very clever in jokes that had me smiling like the little boy on Saturday mornings when the show reruns broadcast.
    It does flirt with making fun out of how improbable modern society would think of it all - Dick Grayson's Aunt Harriet alludes to Bruce and Dick being gay!
    If there's a problem its that it gets a bit too caught up with the silly camp. Hardly a minute goes by without "Holy catchphrase batman!", "to the bat cave / mobile / copter!" or "lucky I've got my bat gadget on my utility belt!". It does take the mick out of itself with this: "holy unholy alliance Batman!" , "to the bat rocket!", "I took my Bat anti antidote antidote!" but it can get a little grating after a while. The format suited the 25 min show but feels stretched here (like the 60's tv movie version too).
    There was one oddity that a pedantic would point out - Commissioner Gordon has glasses while Alfred does not, but in the original show its the other way round! If this was an in joke, its pretty obscure.
    Political correctness has seen to it that the Penguin no longer smokes, but in contrast it still has 'luck o' the oirish to be sure' stereotyping of Chief O'Hara.

Overall I thought this was fantastic - when we have the first "to the Batcave!" and the dynamic duo fire up the thrusters on the batmobile to the remastered tv theme tune I was grinning like an idiot. If you never liked / grew up with 60's batman then its probably better to avoid.
    Its unashamed silliness. Look elsewhere for a brooding dark knight. Kapow!

Page 353 of 355 FirstFirst ... 253 303 343 351 352 353 354 355 LastLast