Page 1 of 115 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd ED memories....

2nd ED memories....

Ok, for you old guard out there, what good memories do you have from 2nd ed?

I liked strength reduction to armor. Good times. I miss my 2nd ed SW codex.
    Best memory though was the generic assasin with: combat drugs, power weapon, polymorphine, and a vortex grenade. Oh how I loved it when I removed a guardian and threw a vortex grenade on Eldrad! Ahhh the fun.

I also remember being able to load lots of assault cannons and havocs on my WG termies. Although I didnt do that often as it really pissed people off.

And OMG the assault cannon had some crazy armor-pen dice!

Re: 2nd ED memories....

I once threw a virus grenade that wiped out an entire Ork army apart from Gazhkull and one Grot. Gazzy only survived by calling a Waargh which made him invulnerable. It was only turn 2 so we decided to start again and replay the game (without the virus grenade sadly ).
    The is Force split, unbalanced. The Dark side is at war with the Light. Only the Chosen One can wield the power of both. To know the peace of the Light without becoming frozen in rigid rules like the Jedi. To channel the righteous anger of the Dark side to fight injustice without being consumed by rage and evil like the Sith.

That is the destiny of the Chosen One. Not to bring triumph to one side of the Force but to bring both into balance so they are no longer in conflict.

Tyranid random events; "Jones is acting funny" and so forth.

Cyclone Missile Launchers.

Nuff said.
    He's a semi aquatic, egg laying mammal of action.

To Insanity... and beyond.

I liked the old strategy cards. Was once playing in a big multiplayer game, and a 'Virus Outbreak' wiped out 60 chaos cultists before the first turn. Didn't really make a lot of difference to the rest of the game suprisingly, as the rest of the chaos army was in power armour and thus immune.

Dark Millenium vehicle rules. You could remove all the weapons from a Land Raider and it would cost less than a Rhino.
    You are standing on my balls

see that gretchin over there? he's actually a imperial assassin in disguise.

in terminator armor.

with a thunder hammer and storm shield.

and a vortex grenade.

surprise!

Dark Millenium vehicle rules. You could remove all the weapons from a Land Raider and it would cost less than a Rhino
    Same price as a gretchin actually. 4pts

I'm sure the ridiculous assassin thing was FAQ'd (the faq example was a humble eldar guardian turning into an assassin wearing terminator armour and riding a bike.)

These are some of the extremes of the game though.
    Good memories of 2nd ed 40k are casting 'Eadbutt on the vortex template left by your opponent throwing the grenade at your unit/tank and sending it back towards them.
    I also enjoyed Nazdreg with telescopic legs and a lascannon on overwatch.

Anyway, someone is bound to comment on combat taking forever, but was certainly not the case in my group of friends. Maybe we were just quicker at maths than these people!

Loved the random profile of Fabius Bile
    We are returned!

So many memories! It's hard to know where to begin.

In Second Edition and Rogue Trader combined my Ork army lost every single game I played with them, and some of the losses featured such terrible luck that I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, particularly with out of control vehicles crashing into each or hitting walls, flipping and exploding, yet somehow failing to kill any Space Marines in the process.

Vehicles going out of control was quite amusing, but I'm glad that this layer of complexity no longer exists.

Anyway, I learnt that Orks really didn't suit me, so while I built a third edition army, it never appeared on the table, and was sold not so long ago.

I have more positive experiences to recall with my Eldar.

Warp Spiders were truly nasty, too powerful in some ways, but they just used to chew through so many units, and they were almost impossible to negate if you played them well.

I also enjoyed using my Farseer and Master Warlock to the full in the psychic phase. Executioner being a particular favourite of mine for killing off irritating characters.

I also have very fond memories of my Swooping Hawks dropping Krak Grenades on the heads of my opponents' armies, and in particular, managing to kill Ragnar Blackmane, which, as anyone who fought against Space Wolves in Second Edition will tell you, was not the work of a moment.

I don't, however, miss the strategy cards or some of horrendously overpowered combinations which all armies had access to, so while I did enjoy Second Edition, certain elements were over the top in my view.
    Visit 40K Online for all your 40K needs.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

The codices with actual fluff.

The game ... not so much.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia800 using my microwave as a proxy server.

That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And yet, with strange aeons, even death may die.

I am the guy who thought the LoTR movies were crap and liked Judge Dredd.

Quote Originally Posted by chromedog View Post
    The codices with actual fluff.
    Excellent point, and I completely agree.

The amount of background material available for each race in Second Edition (and in Rogue Trader for some races too) far exceeds that which is available in the modern game, and that material was the great strength of early versions of 40K in my view.
    Visit 40K Online for all your 40K needs.

Soņando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente.

Most of what I remember revolves around getting my ass handed to me, playing my Orks against BA.

Jones acting funny was good times.
    1st place - Fantasy Hero AoD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingInYellow View Post
    The Israelites were well known for their flame cannons. The choice is obvious.

I did enjoy the variation offered by the Wargear and Starategy Cards.

Oh, and teleporting your Warp Spiders in front of the Imperial Guard lines and bringing out the old school heavy flamer template.

Repeatedly dropping the Phoenix Lord (Lady) Jain Zarr into a river (we had house rules for fast-moving rivers) with the Space Marine Librarian's Psychic power of moving other miniatures to keep her away from my Devastators. And, more to the point, facing four Pheonix Lords at once in every single game

Vortex Grenades, too, and Hand Flamers on Death Company with Jump Packs.
    Please visit my Graphics, Gaming & Geekery blog.

Chapter Master Archangel_Ruined's Avatar

3+ saves for terminators. Using two dice helped somewhat... I don't really miss combat modifiers, I threw 40 gretchen at 10 BA tactical marines once, and the combat took place on a hill side. One round of combat took 15 minutes to work out, not good for game pace.

The different damage tables for various hit locations on vehicles, and the out of control vehicles rules.

I remember one game where my Chaos Bikers were speeding towards a Dreadnaught. I was just short of range for my Meltagun (like 1 or 2 inches out) and they got hammered by the Dreadnaught's assault cannon the next turn. Oddly only the Meltagunner was taken out - he was shot dead, and his bike suffered only minor damage. Next turn the bike moved out of control, flipped and smashed into the Dreadnaught. As a result the Dreadnaught's arm was destroyed, and the flashback to the main body destroyed the Dreadnaught

Cardboard Ork Dred and Scream Killers who looked very shouty :P

I once fired at an Ork buggy with a squad of Ratlings in a Take and Hold mission; the objective was a building in the center of the table. The Ratlings hit, killed both crew, the buggy spun out of control, rammed the building and exploded, tearing the building down, so we were left without a mission objective. Great fun.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

Seeing my elite close combat blood angels torn apart by ridiculously statted genestealers.

Oh wait, that wasn't fun at all.

Genestealer cultists are probably what I miss the most. And Necromunda, which I consider a subset of second ed rules.

Graviton Gun - still have my techmarine modeled to carry one. That was fun times.

Page 1 of 115 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast