Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd ED memories....

Re: 2nd ED memories....

Grav gun was the freeze one aye? Living units hit by it couldn't move for whole game if I remember correctly?

Yep. You hit it and it's basically out of the game. Had only 16" range, though.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Current Project: Bad Moons.

Chapter Master

Pavane of Slaanesh on an Iquisitor, turning him into a Spawn that ate his Bodyguard of Grey Knight Termies. The Entire command structure of the Dark Angels (Azrael, Bethor, etc. all the Special Characters + a combat Squad of Marines) exiting a Rhino and throwing a Vortex grenade at our GOU, missing, scattering back hitting the Rhinos tracks, which flipped the Rhino over, hitting the DA characters killing all but Ezekiel I think it was, who had a Displacer field and landed... right in the Vortex.
    Both happened on one turn in one of the funniest games ever...

And I too have the fond memory of killing an entire ork army with one Virus outbreak before we trashed the card...
    susu.exp

"[Obama] ends the war on science. The only war we were actually winning!" - J. Oliver on the Daily show, March 16th 2009

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_Ruined View Post
    3+ saves for terminators. Using two dice helped somewhat... I don't really miss combat modifiers, I threw 40 gretchen at 10 BA tactical marines once, and the combat took place on a hill side. One round of combat took 15 minutes to work out, not good for game pace.
    But then again since the BA player would have just had 1/3 of his army sat in combat the next turn would be quite quick for him.

What people forget is that whilst combat involved some maths and wasnt about rolling a bucket of dice per unit but an amount of attacks per model, there were less models to move and shoot with over all.

I liked the smaller scale but more complex version that 2ed was, yes when you have a bigger army (such as now) things are simplified, but whilst playing smaller games model wise 2ed worked.

It would be great if GW brought out a skirmish version of 40k now, where we could see variation between units and armies more than the amalgamated grey they blend into now a days.

Hmmm i still like 40k, just miss some of the flavour and the fun that was in 2ed compared to todays game

i remember losing an assault cannon each game i played.
    typing exclusively in italics since february 17, 1999.
    updated eightteen.february.thirteen [Yme-Loc] updated four.february.twelve [self biased's messy desk] updated sixteen.august.twelve [Unrequited Vengeance]

2nd ed codexes, just like 4th ed fb army books, was pretty much what brought me into the hobby - I cannot say I was a big fan of those versions when it came to actually playing them however...

I have been wanting to get my hands on 2nd ed codexes again (I sold off all my earlier stuff at one point "as I would never get any use out of it again"), but I fear that might be an even bigger drain than finishing armies on my wallet...
    Ogre Kingdoms - Necrons
    Legion of Everblight - Haqqislam
    If it ain't broken, Ronda has arm-bared it yet.

I once fired at an Ork buggy with a squad of Ratlings in a Take and Hold mission; the objective was a building in the center of the table. The Ratlings hit, killed both crew, the buggy spun out of control, rammed the building and exploded, tearing the building down, so we were left without a mission objective. Great fun.
    See now that is the kind of thing i miss.
    All these little details really do add to the atmosphere of the game.
    Just like in necromunda (original version) when the ganger with the leg wound scrambles up the ladder to charge the enemy, only to find him brandishing a shotgun on overwatch, fires and knocks the ganger back off the ledge, taking damage for falling. Thats more than a leg wound!

Veteran Sergeant

I remember my deathwing/ravenwing land speeder force jamming every single shot in one turn... stupid jam dice..

And our 'epic' fight between the Master of the Ravenwing on his land speeder and Abbaddon... MotR shoots his assault cannon, assault cannon blows up.

I should've chosen a different army I suppose, but meh. Still fun times.
    Quote Originally Posted by CasaHouse View Post
    I will call it the "Thunk" Because it looks like someone thought "Thunderhawk," got about four letters in, lost interest, and then tacked on the last letter to make it technically still a finished word.

Chapter Master Archangel_Ruined's Avatar

Don't get me wrong, 2nd ed is the most complete rules set GW have come up with, I just think it worked better for necromunda and gorka morka, where the game sizes were always limited and it's in depth rules really allowed you to get a feel for your individual gang/mob members. For full scale, several thousand point battles it was too involved, I still don't agree with true LOS, it doesn't work where entire units are involved. I also like looking back at the 10pt stat system when it meant something, BS7 is great when a long range shot through hard cover was at -3 for most guns, and a blood thirster was pretty much 10 in every stat bar movement (which doesn't really matter when the buggers can fly). I tend to think of 2nd ed as closer to inquisitor, where the smallest details really do matter, but that trashes the mechanics for the larger picture in my humble opinion. I really think 4th had a lot going for it as far as large scale gaming is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_Ruined View Post
    blood thirster was pretty much 10 in every stat bar movement (which doesn't really matter when the buggers can fly).
    M6 WS10 BS10 S8 T7 W10 I8 A10 (lol) and LD 10 haha

My worst memory, fighting space marine lev4 psychers in terminator armor (2x3+) with storm shield (4++) displacer field (3++) iron arm (4++) psychic shield (3++) and precience to re-roll all the above saves

My best memory, wiping out an entire necron raider army using only 2x3 warp spiders and an exarch. Instadeath teleporting heavy flames FTW
    GM:"You awake to a beautiful morning, the forest is peaceful as a zephyr whistles through the tree branches"
    Bob:"A Whistling Zephyr? I waste it with my crossbow...ha I rolled a critical hit...28 points of damage, is it dead?"
    GM:"What? of course not you *****, it just carries on whistling thru the trees"
    Sara:"Guys relax a zephyr is just a breeze"
    Bob:"Breeze my ass, it just took 28 hit points and it's still whistling at me!"

I miss the old Vehicle rules

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by ThePope View Post
    Cardboard Ork Dred and Scream Killers who looked very shouty :P
    There's a guy who takes that Cardboard Ork Dred to the local RT tourney every year since they started them. He has real dreds but he just enjoys telling the judges every year that it's 100% Games Workshop so it's legal to use.

With TLOS and stuff, it's hillariously effective for completely blocking LOS to his boyz behind it and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Epicenter View Post
    There's a guy who takes that Cardboard Ork Dred to the local RT tourney every year since they started them. He has real dreds but he just enjoys telling the judges every year that it's 100% Games Workshop so it's legal to use.

With TLOS and stuff, it's hillariously effective for completely blocking LOS to his boyz behind it and so on.
    What a legend lol would love to see their faces!

I miss actually being able to throw grenades! Subtle fun

Cheers,

BTB

Quote Originally Posted by unheilig View Post
    see that gretchin over there? he's actually a imperial assassin in disguise.

in terminator armor.

with a thunder hammer and storm shield.

and a vortex grenade.

surprise!
    Pity that was against the rules; a model using Polymorphine (to shapechange into a Gretchin) couldn't wear Terminator Armour - they were restricted to a 4+ ad best armour save.

I miss Bjorn the Fell-handed making a career of killing Avatars before Marneus Calgar made it cool. I miss a heavy plasma gun firing on maximum power destroying a Land Raider, causing it to flip over onto the Wolf Guard champion special character in Terminator Armour behind it, who subsequently passed his armour save, cmabered out from under the wreckage and kicked ****.

I miss Termagants with spike rifles and stranglewebs and Imperial Guard infantry squads being able to detach the heavy weapon team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodknight View Post
    I once fired at an Ork buggy with a squad of Ratlings in a Take and Hold mission; the objective was a building in the center of the table. The Ratlings hit, killed both crew, the buggy spun out of control, rammed the building and exploded, tearing the building down, so we were left without a mission objective. Great fun.
    Awesome!

One of my most enduring memories was of my Wartrak Skorcher being shot at after having raced in close to the enemy. My opponent hit the fuel tank, it blew up with a 12" radius and set over half of his army on fire.
    Mentor Legion Army Blog (Complete)
    Orks in four systems (40K, AI, BFG, Epic)
    BFG: 100% sold
    AI: 100% sold
    40K: still selling
    Epic: 99% sold
    Currently working on other stuff.

Oh yeah? Try going up against an army of Squats! That's right, I said SQUATS! And pretty much they could almost all have heavy weapons! I lost poorly that day.

I played in the 1st Games Workshop Grand Tournament in Baltimore Maryland back in 1997 using Blood Angels and came in 15th out of 30 players! Good times!

The psychic phase was awesome! (Dark Millenium)

I loved using the Stasis grenade as well as the Vortex grenade often.

Each weapon had it's own personality such as the Multi Melta mounted on a dread where if you wanted to you could use it as a heavy flamer, which by the way was a much bigger template.

Distort cannons and Wraith cannons were much more deadlier in 2nd edition.

Plasma missiles and grenades were awesome as well. They had the potential to expand to D6 radius at strength 5 with a -2 saving throw (I'll have to check my 2nd edition rulebook on that one.)

Halucinogen grenades were fun (It suddenly becomes clear to you that it's all a big cosmic joke and you laugh hysterically unable to do anything for the rest of the game...or something like that.)

I can go on and on. I really miss the 2nd edition. Yeah it was long and drawn out sometimes but every game was worth it.

Oh and don't forget, back when the rules weren't so clear cut in the 1st Space Wolves codex my friend used to have his Grey Wolves Terminators with Cyclone missile launchers AND assault cannons!!
    Last edited by Rob; 10-12-2009 at 04:16.

Quote Originally Posted by exsulis View Post
    I miss the old Vehicle rules
    You mean like "vehicle out of control" and just roaming the battlefield anywhere it felt like even if it was into your own troops? LOL

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    You mean like "vehicle out of control" and just roaming the battlefield anywhere it felt like even if it was into your own troops? LOL
    You're damn right that's what he meant! That stuff was hilarious!

Page 2 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast