Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd ED memories....

Re: 2nd ED memories....

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewGPaul View Post
    Pity that was against the rules; a model using Polymorphine (to shapechange into a Gretchin) couldn't wear Terminator Armour - they were restricted to a 4+ ad best armour save.
    not at first... polymorphine was changed at one point during 2nd ed.

OOOOHHHHHHH Mephiston with iron arm and quickening..... that was insane...strength 14!!!!!! well only 10...lol...

Marneus Calgar with jump pack, conversion field and vortex granade!!!!!!

50% of the points of the army could be characters

space wolves terminators ....squad of 5....all of them with cyclone!!! and the ciclone!!!!!!!!:cries:

virus granade against IG....lol

me bitching around because dante didn't have a sword and everybody did parrying one attack .....lol

and the old daemon princes from the chaos codex... doombreed........dude!!!

the rules for assault canon!!!!!!

good times.................
    Blood angels codex...finally man!!!!!!!
    Im sorry for my bad English guys, is my second lenguaje

There's a guy who takes that Cardboard Ork Dred to the local RT tourney every year since they started them. He has real dreds but he just enjoys telling the judges every year that it's 100% Games Workshop so it's legal to use.

Epic!

I miss the sustained fire from my assault cannons. OVERWATCH!

Chapter Master

Chain reactions on vehicles was always funny, such as the time when one assault cannon hit sent a Chimera out of contol, which sent another Chimera out of control which hit a third vehicle.

Being able to kill the crew of open-topped vehicles (even Marines weren't immune to this).

Imperial Guard Heavy Weapons Teams (especially now there's the 40mm base - I find it annoying).

Mission Cards.
    "They have their moments - although I've had to persuade at least three alien races not to invade the Earth on the strength of Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" - Doctor Who's opinion of the Carpenters, "Relative Dementias" written by Mark Michaelowski

Rules As Written doesn't always make for a fun game.

Popup attacks from Skimmers.

Chaos Lord with a Mark of Nurgle, Khorne and Slanessh, in Terminator Armour, with a Blast Master.

Immune to Psychology
    T6
    Frenzy (when it doubled the number of attacks)
    And can move and shoot a 3" radius template weapon with -6 armour modifier and random str from 5-10.
    You are standing on my balls

I didn't actually start playing until 3rd edition was released, so my only memory from 2nd edition is seeing a game between about 10 Space Marines and a million* Orks.

*Or at least 80.
    Thud is the new black!

Librarian

Being able to carry around a 1000 point army in a jacket pocket.

Random chaos weapons (abilities rolled on a D1000!).

That was 1st edition, surely? From the charts in Realms of Chaos

First and Foremost it was the Codexes. the 2nd Edition Books were just simply wonderful.

I too remember Warp Spiders being ridiculous, I'll throw in Howling Banshees too.

I miss the psychic phase alot, and after discovering my Dark Millennium box in a closet, we're trying to work it back in.

I alos miss Necromunda, So much it makes my teeth hurt. I loved that game.

Cheers, Filthy
    Can you not feel the Wind in Your Head? - Mr. Nobody

I miss the actually scary Avatar who's only rival was the Bloodthirster.

The books were so much more flavourful. The newer ones are better than the dross we had in 3rd edition though.

ASM should come back (scrapping the awful AP system).

I prefer Gorkamorka to Necromunda, just like all the orky ramming and having some Mad Doc replace my Nobz legs with a mono wheel was hilarious for a while. Same guy had a power claw as well. After that he didn't dare go to the Docz anymore.
    You are standing on my balls

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidal View Post
    I miss the actually scary Avatar who's only rival was the Bloodthirster.
    If you were stupid enough to let the thing get into combat, possibly. I used to gun them down on a regular basis with Assault Cannons. Bjorn was especially good at it.

Yeah, but the new one doesn't get that kind of emotional response though.

Back then, they better be gunning it down.

I remember one particularly wierd game where we combined 2nd edition 40K and 4th edition Warhammer; Eldar, High Elves, Squats and Dwarvs against Space Wolves and Chaos Warriors (What? No-one had an Empire army ). Dark Reapers fought off charging Flesh Hounds of Khorne, while my Wolf Priest on a bike rode by a unit of 30 Dwarf Warriors and lobbed in a Virus grenade ...

That sounds like good times. Which system's assault phase did you use? (or did you alternate depending on turns!)

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Oh and don't forget, back when the rules weren't so clear cut in the 1st Space Wolves codex my friend used to have his Grey Wolves Terminators with Cyclone missile launchers AND assault cannons!!

You see that armament was perfectly legal, though you couldnt fire both in the same phase, so you fired all 12 krak missiles in the first turn with a 6" diameter blast krak missile.

The rest of the game the Wg shot things with his AssCan but would avoid combat like the plague

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidal View Post
    That sounds like good times. Which system's assault phase did you use? (or did you alternate depending on turns!)
    I think we used the Warhammer combat rules if it was two fantasy units fighting, but the 40K rules if there was a 40K unit involved.

Even without a close combat weapon, a Wolf Guard was still WS6, S4 and his hits had a -1 save mod. Above average, really.

Plasma Blaster Wargear card.

Oh, and the mayhem vehicles caused when they were destroyed, like flipping over, tank turrets squashing units nearby and so on...

A distort cannon could warp a model or vehicle in the air or in the ground.

As mentioned before, vehicles being out of control and overwatch are two things me and my regular playing buddy miss.

Favorite memory and most missed rule is things actually setting on fire when you flamed them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbobodoll
    Blargh-Rawr lept towards the small creature, its twin-linked organofistors ready to deliver a most savage organofisting...
    Dark Dubstep and Beats created by me...
    Myspace profile
    LastFm page

Imperial Orphans and occasional Spess Mahreens Plog

Page 3 of 115 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast