Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Dreaded 13th Spell - How Exactly?

Re: The Dreaded 13th Spell - How Exactly?

God forbid though that Slann get a 6 on the miscast chart. I've seen it happen and hilarity ensues.

That's what Cupped hands is for, or the other discipline that lets you re-roll on the miscast chart. If you roll 5-6 on miscast, then you just use cupped hand to ignore it, or just dispel it with a scroll.

To the OP, in the magic item entry for warpstone tokens it specifically says you can go above your normal maximum casting dice using them, so 5 pool dice and 2 tokens gives you 7 dice which should on average roll 25.

I seem to remember in 6th edition that spells cast using powerstones couldn't cause irresistable force..... no idea if they errata'd it for 7th edition, but it doesn't mention it in the rulebook, again it specifically says they can take you over your normal casting dice limit, so you should be able to cast it a few times per game....
    When you truly understand why you reject all other religions, lifestyles, belief systems and choices, you will understand why I reject yours

http://taccmd.tacticalwargames.net - the best epic gaming site on the net!

http://www.net-armageddon.org/ - the home of Net Epic Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by kyussinchains View Post
    To the OP, in the magic item entry for warpstone tokens it specifically says you can go above your normal maximum casting dice using them, so 5 pool dice and 2 tokens gives you 7 dice which should on average roll 25.
    yes the wording in the book allows you to go over. but it's written in an awkward phrasing that begs to have a 'not' thrown in there and a lot of people do it without realizing it. i'm curious if there will be an errata to it to make them more not worth their cost :/

Quote Originally Posted by kyussinchains View Post
    I seem to remember in 6th edition that spells cast using powerstones couldn't cause irresistable force..... no idea if they errata'd it for 7th edition, but it doesn't mention it in the rulebook, again it specifically says they can take you over your normal casting dice limit, so you should be able to cast it a few times per game....
    There is no restriction on causing IF like there is for number of dice used to cast. Power Stones/Warpstone don't need any specific wording, they work with IF just like any other dice used for casting.

You can cast the spell using only two dice. You only need 2 6s to cast it. Even if you fail to reach the magic 25 number, it is still cast successfully. There are no rules preventing IF using power stones.
    The OBJECT of the game is to win. The POINT of the game is to have FUN! Never confuse the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Maoriboy007 View Post
    I vote zoolander for president!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHolker View Post
    It's like a fantasy Christian army with one guy hopping around on a crucifix like a pogo stick.

Quote Originally Posted by theunwantedbeing View Post
    Alreds casket of sorcery.
    Hailarious.
    That would be great
    The only cure known for the dreaded illnes of Ruleslawyeritus is a swift dosage of punchinthefaceicilin. -Tapok
    The 7 Habits of Effective Gamers: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232493
    The ONLY reason i joined this forum was to join Malorians arenas. - teafloy_the_damned
    Join the Arena of Death!: http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25
    Me on Youtube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMalorian?feature=mhum

Even better if you steal the spell and cast it on a unit of clanrats...what exactly would happen then?
    My Battle Reports
    The Power of Ale
    The Campaign for Argalis
    The Order of the Broken Lance
    Clearing the Fiefdom

Quote Originally Posted by Chem-Dog View Post
    In the grim darkness of the far future, there is no fiscal overview.

Kill lots of them, or have nothing, since it states in the spell description that you need enough models to replace them, so unless your opponent let's you have his models, you can't field them

Quote Originally Posted by stripsteak View Post
    yes the wording in the book allows you to go over. but it's written in an awkward phrasing that begs to have a 'not' thrown in there and a lot of people do it without realizing it. i'm curious if there will be an errata to it to make them more not worth their cost :/
    You want them to be worth their cost? Just point out that they dont say "One Use Only" lol. I'm guessing the Skaven FAQ is going to be around 7-9 pages long.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloppyjayman View Post
    So Skaven have this new 25+ to cast spell. Yes it can win you the game. It is incredible.

How exactly do you cast it?

Am i missing something. Clearly I must be.

Cant a level 4 wizard only use 5PD? Power Stones still count as adding 2 power dice and a warpstone token says in the rules that you must still obey the maximum number of dice used.

The average roll on 5 PD is 17.5 so its unlikely to be cast.

Please tell me what I am missing or where to read the rule.
    Powerstones specify they can take you above your normal dice limitations, so that's 7PD at least. Not sure on Warpstone tokens in addition as don't have the Skaven book (and wont be relying on anything it says before the FAQ book (as it's going to need a frickin book) is released).

Plus, 2 dice, double 6 = spell cast, job done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Facebeard View Post
    Chaos Gods hate each other > Extra-dimensional tea party

Huh. I was going to post that I always throw 4 dice at it to maximise the chances of a 13 being rolled, but reading through this thread suggests to me that that rule was removed without my noticing. Sounds like another house rule.
    It's spelled Space, not 'spess' or 'spez' or any other variation.
    And it's Marines, not 'Mehrens', 'Maroons', 'Macaronies' or any other silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by zeekill View Post
    You want them to be worth their cost? Just point out that they dont say "One Use Only" lol. I'm guessing the Skaven FAQ is going to be around 7-9 pages long.
    *sigh*

Don't remind me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cook View Post
    Ah yes, how could I forget RichBlake; our friendly neighbourhood commissar
    13th Cadian Regiment - Project Log
    Total Victories: 58
    Death Toll (enemy action): 4385
    Total Executions (for cowardice, incompetence etc.): 384

The Pack

The skaven book states they can use warpstone tokens, etc and go above the normal limit to PD to cast a spell.

The best use I have seen of it is when enemy miscasts and rolls a 5-6...the opponent (skaven in this case) can cast any spell for free.

Sanjay

Can this Spell be cast into combat?

On another note Thanquol could cast this with his many warpstone tokens. He can reroll all 1's so his chances of getting this spell off or at least not miscasting is nearly guaranteed. I would take him for that reason alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Arion View Post
    I would just take a Slann with "Becalming Cogitation" making the wizard with that spell discard sixes every time. Then he would never be able to get it off. There would be no chance at an irresistible force, and it would be nearly impossible to roll 25 on any amount of dice without sixes
    Watched my friend do that. His Slann and skink priest both promptly miscast and rolled 6s on the miscast table in the first turn.

Double of the 13th Spell for free before you've even moved a model is harsh, both the temple guard and a saurus block were compleley obliterated, leaving a slann stood looking rather stupid.

Chapter Master Agnar the Howler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LaurentleBete View Post
    Watched my friend do that. His Slann and skink priest both promptly miscast and rolled 6s on the miscast table in the first turn.

Double of the 13th Spell for free before you've even moved a model is harsh, both the temple guard and a saurus block were compleley obliterated, leaving a slann stood looking rather stupid.
    Tis why you never leave home without Cupped hands of the Old Ones on your Slaan, "Uh oh... I mis-cast... erm, here, you take it!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Life Form View Post
    Generally though, on a large scale, if the Slann have a problem with a city, they'll drop a comet on it, yes.
    Plague marines are NOT T5, they are T4(5)! There is a difference!

you can't throw 2 power dice and cast something that needs 25+ to cast. Just like a Dark Elf sorceress can't throw 1 dice on something that needs 8+ to cast just to waste a power dice(and avoid taking damage).

Quote Originally Posted by ghostline View Post
    you can't throw 2 power dice and cast something that needs 25+ to cast. Just like a Dark Elf sorceress can't throw 1 dice on something that needs 8+ to cast just to waste a power dice(and avoid taking damage).
    Why not? Because you say so?

-T10
    Will Orc for food!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Elf FAQ
    Q. If a Dark Elf Sorceress has leftover dice from the Power of Darkness spell at the end of the magic phase, can she use them to attempt to cast a spell where she cannot actually succeed, thus avoiding the damage from the leftover dice when the phase ends? For example, if she has one die left and can only cast Black Horror that has a casting cost of 12+, can she say she is attempting to cast it with only the one die, knowing the attempt will fail?

A. No she cannot. She better make sure she has an easy spell left to cast or suffer the consequences.
    Although not a rule in the book, it's certainly the case for DE's.

As for the 13th spell. I've never seen cast yet without it being a double 6, which is very annoying to play against.

It's not just the 13th spell. Gate (15+), Ruination (20+) and the new Beastman #6 spell (16+) are all examples of spells which require that many dice to be rolled at them that they will more often than not result in a double 6.

Hopefully though, it's perhaps a sign of the magic system changing in 8th ed.

It isn't the case for DE's - they can't throw 1 dice because 1 dice can never get Irresistible Force. Two dice can, and so even DEs can throw 2 dice at any spell, regardless of casting cost.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast