Thread: The Tale of Fantasy Painters. Month 6 (& Februarys WIP)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Tale of Fantasy Painters. Month 6 (& Februarys WIP)

The Tale of Fantasy Painters 2009-2010

Month 6

Happy Valentines day!

This is a big month. Six months. Half way through the tale.

All the best,
    Harry

This is the thread on which you post your work for month SIX. (The work you have done in the month of JANUARY).

Please make only one post (for each army) in the first week.

Your post should include:

1) The description and points of the unit. AND YOUR TOTAL POINTS SO FAR.
    2) Any additional information you care to share with us about your painting.
    3) A Dice roll. (Explained below)
    4) Up to six photographs of your months work and the army so far.

The dice role.

With over 250 painters in this years Fantasy tale it would be impossible to try to comment on everyones work. (Although there are some who will try!) We considered splitting into army factions which would have left every one only posting on others painting the same army. Someone came up with the great idea of dicing for it. So you throw a dice and record the score. You then try and post comment on everyone who has the same dice roll as you. In return you can expect comment form all of them. This way each month we will all be commenting on a random selection of other painters work.
    (Note: this does not stop anyone posting anything they like about anyones work regardless of the numbers rolled!)

A Word on using photographs

You can use up to six photographs (the maximum allowed in a post by warseer). To show us your months painting and the 'army' so far. The best size for showing your work is 640x480 (It can be smaller or you can use ‘thumbs’ which link to bigger pictures but they must not be bigger or it takes too long for the pages to load). The best thing to do is to resize them, wherever you are hosting your images, and then drag and drop the ‘img code’ directly into the text.

This month (JANUARY) WIP Thread.

AFTER THE FIRST WEEK ... This thread will become the 'normal' ... comment and crit’ of others work, Work In Progress (WIP) pictures of your work as it develops, how you are getting on, seeking advice and encouragement for your ideas and your painting and generally chatting about the project, life and the cosmos.

However, please continue to only post your work for the first week. This is to give everyone a chance to post up their finished work before it gets lost amongst a sea of chat and WIP shots.

Thanks again to everyone who has signed up for this madness.

If you have not signed up yet…

If you have not signed up yet and would like to join us you are not to late.
    Just post on this thread which army and how many points you intend to paint and then crack on.
    Anything you post this month will count for last months painting.
    (Although you will have to push on and paint something for next month to catch us up).

If you can not post anything this month …

DO NOT PANIC! … use a joker.
    Busy lives calm down again, enthusiasm returns, time presents itself.
    When it does 'push hard and 'buy back' your joker by painting extra. If your struggling post and say so. (don't just slip quietly away) You will be amazed by the posts of encouragement and support which come from your fellow painters eager to see you successfully complete this project. Most importantly ... 'Stick with it' ... The prize of getting your stuff painted remains worth all the effort.

What is it all about?

Do you want to paint a 2000 point army in the next 12 months?
    Do you want to meet a great bunch, with the same goal who will encourage and support you throughout the process?
    Can you do the same in return?
    Are you completely bonkers?
    Then you have come to the right place!

The aim of The Tale of Painters (TOP) is to help motivate those involved to start and complete an army in the next twelve months.

We made a decision early on to split the Tale into two separate 'halves' one for 40K and one for Fantasy. They have continued to evolve in slightly different ways but this is how the Fantasy Tale works.

The painters involved have made a commitment to paint and post, by the last day of each month, approx 200 points of their chosen army. They do this each month for the next 12 months. Starting with their first post on the last day of August 2009 and finishing with their last post on the last day of July 2010.

However, because people have real lives with exams, holidays, honeymoons, new babies etc, etc. They get two 'Jokers'. For two months within the year you can ‘play a joker’ and rather than post an update they can post "sorry guys couldn't get it done this month. Real life got in the way." But the other 10 Months they have to come up with (approx) 200 points of painted and based figures. That is 200 points for 10 of the next 12 months.

At the end of each month a new thread will appear for the painters to post your previous months painting.

In twelve months time we will all end up with a finished 2000 point army.
    (Or at least everyone who can see it through to the end ... it's harder than you think!)

Men and Boys (and Infants!)

Because this is harder than you would think ... This year rather than try and hold everyone to 200 points a month we have decided to allow folks to join in and paint only 100 points a month. Whilst the goal for many remains getting a 2000 point army painted in a year the original and ongoing intention of this whole thing was to encourage and support folks to get stuff painted and 1000 points is better than no points! As a result we have two catagories. 'Men' (painting 2000 points/month) and 'Boys' (painting 1000 points/month).
    I have also added a list for the 'Infants' or Warmaster painters.

The Painters: (Thanks as always to Braad!)

Frequently Asked Questions

Q : Am I too Late? Can I still Join in?
    A : No you are not too late. Yes you can still join in. Just post on this thread saying which army and how many points you intend to paint.
    .....TRY AND MAKE IT CLEAR YOU ARE SIGNING IN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YOUR POST SO I DON'T MISS IT!

Q : Can I paint more than 200 points in a month?
    A : Yes (we are not here to tell you how and when to paint your stuff, it is great to get ahead) BUT we would like you only to post 200 points (approx) each month and try to stay roughly on track with 200 points a month (200 points in month 1, 400 points by month 2, 600 points by month 3, etc.) so as not to depress the hell out of those of us who are struggling to keep up.

Q : Can I paint less than 200 points in a month?
    A : Yes. But we try to stay on track by painting more points in the next month to 'catch up'. For example oif you only painted 100 points one month you could try and get 300 points painted the next month. Equally if you paint more one month you can take it easy and paint less the next month.

Q : What happens when I paint an expensive character?
    A : This happens a lot. If your character was over 400 points you would simply paint him over two months (the sort of time your general deserves!) So You start posting him one month and post nothing the first month (unless you want to post WIP) then the second month you post the finished model and all the points get added on.

Q : Can I include a short narrative with each months post.
    A : Yes. Write much as you like. We love background. write as much as you like it will be read and enjoyed by many.
    Last edited by Harry; 01-02-2010 at 21:31.
    Founding father of J.A.D.E.D. Jerks Against Directors Extraordinary Decisions.
    My Project Log "This week I have mostly been painting ...."
    My other log of Vintage stuff: "A Blast from the Past"
    You might also like: "'Ere be Giants"