Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tale of Fantasy Painters. Month 6 (& Februarys WIP)

The Tale of Fantasy Painters. Month 6 (& Februarys WIP)

The Tale of Fantasy Painters 2009-2010

Month 6

Happy Valentines day!

This is a big month. Six months. Half way through the tale.

All the best,
    Harry

This is the thread on which you post your work for month SIX. (The work you have done in the month of JANUARY).

Please make only one post (for each army) in the first week.

Your post should include:

1) The description and points of the unit. AND YOUR TOTAL POINTS SO FAR.
    2) Any additional information you care to share with us about your painting.
    3) A Dice roll. (Explained below)
    4) Up to six photographs of your months work and the army so far.

The dice role.

With over 250 painters in this years Fantasy tale it would be impossible to try to comment on everyones work. (Although there are some who will try!) We considered splitting into army factions which would have left every one only posting on others painting the same army. Someone came up with the great idea of dicing for it. So you throw a dice and record the score. You then try and post comment on everyone who has the same dice roll as you. In return you can expect comment form all of them. This way each month we will all be commenting on a random selection of other painters work.
    (Note: this does not stop anyone posting anything they like about anyones work regardless of the numbers rolled!)

A Word on using photographs

You can use up to six photographs (the maximum allowed in a post by warseer). To show us your months painting and the 'army' so far. The best size for showing your work is 640x480 (It can be smaller or you can use ‘thumbs’ which link to bigger pictures but they must not be bigger or it takes too long for the pages to load). The best thing to do is to resize them, wherever you are hosting your images, and then drag and drop the ‘img code’ directly into the text.

This month (JANUARY) WIP Thread.

AFTER THE FIRST WEEK ... This thread will become the 'normal' ... comment and crit’ of others work, Work In Progress (WIP) pictures of your work as it develops, how you are getting on, seeking advice and encouragement for your ideas and your painting and generally chatting about the project, life and the cosmos.

However, please continue to only post your work for the first week. This is to give everyone a chance to post up their finished work before it gets lost amongst a sea of chat and WIP shots.

Thanks again to everyone who has signed up for this madness.

If you have not signed up yet…

If you have not signed up yet and would like to join us you are not to late.
    Just post on this thread which army and how many points you intend to paint and then crack on.
    Anything you post this month will count for last months painting.
    (Although you will have to push on and paint something for next month to catch us up).

If you can not post anything this month …

DO NOT PANIC! … use a joker.
    Busy lives calm down again, enthusiasm returns, time presents itself.
    When it does 'push hard and 'buy back' your joker by painting extra. If your struggling post and say so. (don't just slip quietly away) You will be amazed by the posts of encouragement and support which come from your fellow painters eager to see you successfully complete this project. Most importantly ... 'Stick with it' ... The prize of getting your stuff painted remains worth all the effort.

What is it all about?

Do you want to paint a 2000 point army in the next 12 months?
    Do you want to meet a great bunch, with the same goal who will encourage and support you throughout the process?
    Can you do the same in return?
    Are you completely bonkers?
    Then you have come to the right place!

The aim of The Tale of Painters (TOP) is to help motivate those involved to start and complete an army in the next twelve months.

We made a decision early on to split the Tale into two separate 'halves' one for 40K and one for Fantasy. They have continued to evolve in slightly different ways but this is how the Fantasy Tale works.

The painters involved have made a commitment to paint and post, by the last day of each month, approx 200 points of their chosen army. They do this each month for the next 12 months. Starting with their first post on the last day of August 2009 and finishing with their last post on the last day of July 2010.

However, because people have real lives with exams, holidays, honeymoons, new babies etc, etc. They get two 'Jokers'. For two months within the year you can ‘play a joker’ and rather than post an update they can post "sorry guys couldn't get it done this month. Real life got in the way." But the other 10 Months they have to come up with (approx) 200 points of painted and based figures. That is 200 points for 10 of the next 12 months.

At the end of each month a new thread will appear for the painters to post your previous months painting.

In twelve months time we will all end up with a finished 2000 point army.
    (Or at least everyone who can see it through to the end ... it's harder than you think!)

Men and Boys (and Infants!)

Because this is harder than you would think ... This year rather than try and hold everyone to 200 points a month we have decided to allow folks to join in and paint only 100 points a month. Whilst the goal for many remains getting a 2000 point army painted in a year the original and ongoing intention of this whole thing was to encourage and support folks to get stuff painted and 1000 points is better than no points! As a result we have two catagories. 'Men' (painting 2000 points/month) and 'Boys' (painting 1000 points/month).
    I have also added a list for the 'Infants' or Warmaster painters.

The Painters: (Thanks as always to Braad!)

Frequently Asked Questions

Q : Am I too Late? Can I still Join in?
    A : No you are not too late. Yes you can still join in. Just post on this thread saying which army and how many points you intend to paint.
    .....TRY AND MAKE IT CLEAR YOU ARE SIGNING IN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN YOUR POST SO I DON'T MISS IT!

Q : Can I paint more than 200 points in a month?
    A : Yes (we are not here to tell you how and when to paint your stuff, it is great to get ahead) BUT we would like you only to post 200 points (approx) each month and try to stay roughly on track with 200 points a month (200 points in month 1, 400 points by month 2, 600 points by month 3, etc.) so as not to depress the hell out of those of us who are struggling to keep up.

Q : Can I paint less than 200 points in a month?
    A : Yes. But we try to stay on track by painting more points in the next month to 'catch up'. For example oif you only painted 100 points one month you could try and get 300 points painted the next month. Equally if you paint more one month you can take it easy and paint less the next month.

Q : What happens when I paint an expensive character?
    A : This happens a lot. If your character was over 400 points you would simply paint him over two months (the sort of time your general deserves!) So You start posting him one month and post nothing the first month (unless you want to post WIP) then the second month you post the finished model and all the points get added on.

Q : Can I include a short narrative with each months post.
    A : Yes. Write much as you like. We love background. write as much as you like it will be read and enjoyed by many.
    Last edited by Harry; 01-02-2010 at 20:31.
    Founding father of J.A.D.E.D. Jerks Against Directors Extraordinary Decisions.
    My Project Log "This week I have mostly been painting ...."
    My other log of Vintage stuff: "A Blast from the Past"
    You might also like: "'Ere be Giants"

Re: The Tale of Fantasy Painters. Month 6 (& Februarys WIP)

OK So I am a bit behind ... but ... I am going to post something this month.
    I know I am officially 'OUT' but I am going to do my best to keep painting.

UNIT: 3 Dragon Ogres
    BACKGROUND/THEME: Painted to fit in my Nurgly themed Chaos army .... I realised they would be not included in the beasts army.
    BUILD/CONVERSION: Straight out of the box vintage Dragon Ogres .... with an ogre arm thrown in to replace a missing arm.
    PAINTING:
    BASING:
    STILL TO DO: These guys are finished.
    HIGHS AND LOWS: Lovely minis. A treat to paint. Now lows
    TOTAL POINTS : 403 (& 3 Jokers)

DICE ROLL : 2

Dragon Ogres all finished and based: (except the swamp needs some more coats of gloss varnish).

Last edited by Harry; 03-02-2010 at 21:10.

ARMY : Empire (1000 Points)

UNIT: 10 Greatswords.

BACKGROUND/THEME: The Empire army is made up of different forces from its contingent states. However the backbone of the Empire army is the Reiksguard, who are recruited across the Empire from amongst the elder sons of the nobility . They accompany the Emperor in war and peace. The Reiksguard is the personal army and personal bodyguard of the Emperor on the battlefield and in the course of his ceremonial duties.
    The Reiksguard forms an elite core of highly trained, expensively-equipped troops who are loyal to the Emperor in person. Although few in number, the Reiksguard is the most important part of the army and usually forms up in the centre around the Emperor himself.

The Reiksguard is divided into warriors who fight on foot, refered to as the Reiksguard Regiment and a mounted arm known as the Reiksguard Knights.

The Reiksguard Knights are the Emperors best troops and form the core of the Imperial army. Many a battle has been won by the decisive charge by the Reiksguard knights.
    The Knights carry tall lances and ride fierce stallions. The Reiksguard wear magnificent gilded armour, highly polished to a mirror like finish, scarlet sashes and their hems are adorned with tall, feathered red and white crest of the ruling Emperor Karl Franz. The Reiksguard Knights standard displays the emblem of Karl Franz and their lance pennants are decorated with crowns. The motto ‘Mallus’ painted on his knights armour means ‘hammer’.

The infantry arm of the Reiksguard, The Reiksguard Regiment are the Emperors own troops and are the nearest thing the Empire has to a state army. They are armed with heavy swords and shields and wear ornate steel armour which they keep polished to a mirror finish.

BUILD/CONVERSION: Straight out of the box classic Perry Reiksguard on foot representing Greatswords.

PAINTING: Undercoated black. Drybrushed Chainmail. Selective Black wash. Painted Mithril Silver highlights. Final highlight mithril Silver and white mix. Gold trim: Dry brushed with Tin Bitz, Brazen Brass, Shinning and Burnish Gold. Chesnut Ink wash. Stockings and White Plumes: Painted white, washed with fortress grey, drybrushed white. Red Plumes: painted Blood Red, washed red and purple ink, drybrushed Blood Red.

BASING: Gritty sand, painted bestial brown, highlighted with Snakebite leather and bleached bone mixes little stones painted black then dry brushed with greys with static grass to finish.

STILL TO DO: These guys are finished.

HIGHS AND LOWS: Lovely old minis. Easy to paint because so much is armour. The only disappointment is the shine on the red plumes from the inks. (Wishing I had washed with paint or just dry brushed up from a dark red). I am hoping the dullcoat will sort that out.

TOTAL POINTS : 200 (4 Jokers ... **** poor I know)

DICE ROLL : 2

and here they are with the other guys to form a big unit:

Last edited by Harry; 01-02-2010 at 20:19.

Army - Daemons of Chaos

This months painting - Herald of Tzeentch, staff of change - 165, Herald of Slaanesh, Level one Wizard, many armed mostrosity - 190

This months total - 355

Total so far - 1152

DICE ROLL - 1

Highs - Knowing I can use the Tzeentch herald in my WOC army as well

Lows - realising ive left a massive mold line on the Slaanesh heralds face

Herald of Tzeentch

Herald of Slaanesh

Army shot

Cheers
    Ego
    " If you run, you will only die tired" :skull:

http://thediaryofaninja.blogspot.com

Army - Empire

This months painting - 5 knights, musician - 123

Total this month - 123

Total so far - 734

DICE ROLL - 1

Knights

Army shot

Cheers
    Ego
    " If you run, you will only die tired" :skull:

http://thediaryofaninja.blogspot.com

*dusts off paintbrushes*

First off apologies for my lack of posting in December & January. TBH inspiration and the desire to paint decreased in inverse proprotion to the increase in boozy Xmas/New Year/Oh God its January work parties!

I've decided to post 400 points this month to buy back Januarys joker and sort out February as well...

Army: Hochland Empire
    Models: Steam Tank & Empire Captain
    Painting: Lots of metallics...Silver is boltgun, Badab black and botlgun highlight...Gold is Tin Bitz, Shining Gold, Devlan Mud...Green & Red is as before on previous entries.
    Highs: Regaining my painting mojo after 2 months without it. Enjoyed painting the Stank immensely as well as the old Reiksguard Captain model - Awesome stuff.
    Lows: None. Really motivated and planning on finishing this thing now!!!
    Dice Roll: 3

I'll be back to comment in a couple of weeks...

Jim

For those who are 'OUT' in the table, just posting an entry with pics or a joker will put you back in.

THIS MONTHS PAINTING:

UNIT: Savage Orc Warboss

BACKGROUND/THEME: Army by the rules of the ‘7 knights’ scenario.

BUILD/CONVERSION: Converted him from a orc shaman on boar and some bits, and added greenstuff for extra fur.

STILL TO DO: Add shield, finish his mount for next month...

HIGHS AND LOWS: Fun to paint a savage orc again, been some time since the last one. Now to finish that Wyvern...

TOTAL: 822

Last edited by Braad; 01-02-2010 at 20:35.
    Tale of Fantasy Painters hall of fame: 2008/09 edition, 2009/10 edition, 2010/11 edition, 2011/12 edition

Even I have a Blog nowadays...

ARMY: Middenheim

UNIT: 10 Kislevite Huntsmen

PAINTING: Yes, there was.

BASING: Still to do.

STILL TO DO: Strip and re-do.

HIGHS AND LOWS: These have been in the making for a long time. I got them a bit over three years ago (at half price, no less) and started painting them. And I got some rather nice results, as I thought then, but still they were never finished. When I picked them up again my opinion about them being nice had changed. Not knowing what paints I used three years ago probably did not help, either. They'll have to do for now. Once all my other minis are painted (about twenty years from now) I'll strip them and start over.

TOTAL POINTS: 1211

DICE-ROLL: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Happy Valentines day!
    2012 Minis bought: 363 - - Minis painted: 373
    2013 Minis bought: 1060 - - Minis painted: 210
    2014 Minis bought: 651 - - Minis painted: 63
    2015 Minis bought: 1057 - - Minis painted: 105 - - Sold: 556
    2016 Minis bought: 386 - - Minis painted: 8 - - Sold: 332

ARMY: Middenland

UNITS: 6 Knights Panther of the Inner Circle incl. Champion & Standard Bearer

PAINTING: Was done with a brush, mainly.

BASING: Still to do.

STILL TO DO: Work on the shields.

HIGHS and LOWS: The leopard fur was easier than expected.

TOTAL POINTS: 1260

The shields will be finished when I get my hands on a heraldry book and I find the courage to try freehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Happy Valentines day!
    :cries:
    2012 Minis bought: 363 - - Minis painted: 373
    2013 Minis bought: 1060 - - Minis painted: 210
    2014 Minis bought: 651 - - Minis painted: 63
    2015 Minis bought: 1057 - - Minis painted: 105 - - Sold: 556
    2016 Minis bought: 386 - - Minis painted: 8 - - Sold: 332

ARMY: High Elves

UNITS: 1 Archmage and 1 Repeater Bolt Thrower

PAINTING: Same as before.

BASING: Again same as before

STILL TO DO: Nothing

HIGHS and LOWS: Painting the Everqueen which is my favourite miniature was really great. Dropping my laptop on the bolt thrower crew was less fun though.

TOTAL POINTS: 1025 (halfway there!)

Well I've been busy with a lot of other stuff these last two months so my painting time has been limited. But now I'm back on track and have managed to paint a few, but expensive, models these last few days.

Next this month I'm going to paint a unit of 10 archers and a unit of 5 Dragon Princes. The DPs are especially interesting since they are the first minis that I've ever converted with the help of green stuff so I'm looking forward to painting them

Well on to the pictures:

And finally everything that is painted so far
    Hear now the dirge faint reprised,
    before the sun's fall, this day spills red
    on buckled earth, and in obsidian eyes
    vengeance chimes seven times

Visit my High Elves painting log

The Red Green Clan

Army: Dwarfs

Units:6 Rangers, 1 quarreller, and 4 longbeards

Build/Conversions: The rangers are normal dwarfs made to look different from quarrellers with sertain dwarf bitz. The quarreller is a normal dwarf with it's helmat shaved of and replaced with a bandana. The long beards are just normal dwarfs with GSed beards and mad holding mugs.

Painting: Same as he others.

Basing: Same as others.

Points: 6 Rangers, great weapons, crossbows, full command Pts.109
    4 Longbeards, sheilds, musician Pts.53
    Quarreller Veteran Pts. 21
    Total this month 183
    Total from last month 1053
    Grand total 1236
    Rangers

Longbeards

Quarreller Veteran

Army Shot

Dice roll: 2

Next month I will have chaos again(jokering this month) and will have my dwarf lord painted up.
    The Man's Prayer
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I'm currently taking painting commissions and drawing commission at the moment.

My worklog: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175350

OGRE KINGDOMS

UNIT: 3 Ogre Bulls including a Bellower
    BACKGROUND/THEME: Back to none!
    BUILD/CONVERSION: A few more guts greenstuffed in place of gut plates.
    PAINTING:The usual
    BASING: The usual
    STILL TO DO: Paint the base rims. Decide on a flower colour...
    HIGHS AND LOWS: Getting back into the swing of painting again. But I'm not settled on whether I like the black and white pants yet.
    TOTAL POINTS : 670

DICE ROLL : 4

I've decided to dub the one in the middle my EmperorNorton Ogre as I can't help but think that he raided one of Middenheim or Middenland for those pants

It's nice to see Harry back into the swing of things too!

Doi

UNIT: Gold and Amethys battle wizard. Both on 2 levels.

BACKGROUND/THEME:Not so long ago a son of a local nobleman was fascinated with war and military. With the financial support of his aristocratic family, the young noble began to gather the finest warriors from all across the Empire and far beyond. Unfortunately the spoiled child has no military experienced due to extensive education thus the greatest warriors gain weight and their only opponent is the fearsome rust.

BUILD/CONVERSION: The beard from the mask was to long so I have shortened it. Amethyst wizards head had the hair cuted off. The hood is made from green stuff.

PAINTING: I HATE YELLOW! Except that I wanted to show passing time by different stages of the rose and the sandtimer.

BASING: Standard.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
    +: Staves, gems, mask
    -: Uneven surface in some places of the robes, hourglass ( not entirely happy )

TOTAL POINTS : 969

DICE ROLL : 3

I was to lazy to take another army pic. Watch the last one and try to imagine two wizards standing somewhere between the units.
    Next update: Whenever I feel like it.

Army of the United Empire - my WFB Empire army log
    Arabyan Nights - Dogs Of War with an arabyan theme
    *YAWN* Space Marines - another SM log on Warseer
    My Pikeman TUTORIAL - how to convert an imperial trooper into a real mercenary

A joker from me this month. Been busy on a different modelling project and also moving flat.

THIS MONTHS PAINTING:

ARMY: Lizardmen

UNIT: 20 Saurus Warriors

BUILD/CONVERSION: Straight out of the box

HIGHS AND LOWS: I never want to paint a saurus ever again, too many scales. The bases were a disaster but I managed to rescue them with extra foliage. Then I made the movement tray 2mm too small and had to make another one. I wouldn't have been so bad, but I'd already painted up the first one which was too small.

TOTAL: 1098

I can't find a dice so I promise to comment on everyones work this month.

Finecast models purchased 9
    Finecast models returned due to very poor quality 9
    Finecast = 100% epic fail

ARMY: Empire (1000)

UNIT: 4 ironguts Empire - Dogs of War

PAINTING: nothing special

LOW: Ogre shoulder joints are poorly done.

HIGH: Doubled up painting some of my sons Ogres which I will also use as DOW. Nice to paint something bigger than a human for a change. Almost like a holiday.

TOTAL POINTS: 622

DICE-ROLL: 1

Edit: My apologies for the wall of text, I'm using "Practicing for my Extension English Major Work" as an excuse for the moment XD

Army: Slayer Cult of Karak Kadrin (Storm of Chaos)

Dice Roll: 5 (Courtesy of my calculator for Physics this month)

Units: I only started last month so I'm making a big push each month to catch up . I have 2 units which ill list individually:

Lore/Fluff:
    A group of young beardlings have taken up the slayer oath mere weeks before the assault of Crom's Army of Undivided Chaos. The group are led into battle by a war hardened Dragon Slayer who has yet to meet his doom, not for lack of trying though. He bears a rune axe forged from some past deed of valor.

Dragon Slayer (Hero):
    Painting and Conversions:
    The original model is the White Dwarf from the 300th (i think) issue many years back now. Originally, he has a hand axe and helmet full of beer. Now he has a Helmet full of beer and a Great Weapon, made out of two 40k ork axes and the handle thereof.
    Painting I used the same as my slayer lord from last month, pinky-pale skin, with blood red hair, highlighted with orange and yellow. I decided to leave the armor and boots as is (Boltgun with mith highlights). Ill make up some fluff for it. The axe took ages to get right from my eye and i'm never quite satisfied with it. I ended up going for a heavily blood stained, well worn look, with the runes still blazing bright blue. The runes are Swiftness and Fury, one each side of the main haft join and took about half an hour to get right because my brush hates me and kept adding extra random brush strokes.

Still to do:
    Base (waiting for whole army before I decide what bases to make them...)
    Make the boots cloth as opposed to solid armor (Silver > Shadow Grey)

Picture:

16x Troll Slayers:
    Painting and Conversions:
    Not wanting to have to shell out a billion or so aussie dollars for the original slayers, I decided to experiment with standard Dwarf Warriors before I relied purely on eBay. No real conversions to speak of, except the beer stein in the musicians right hand. it was originally left handed and went on the chest, but a Stanley knife (Australian for hobby knife, I will kill anyone that makes a Crocodile Dundee reference, yes thats a knife, we all get it... lol jks) fixed that.
    Painting took some thinking. The models themselves have armor on their bodies, cloth arms and helmets. Trying to figure a way around this problem, my dad said the brilliant line "Why not just paint them with kilts?" And so, the cloth on the arms became Bronze Flesh, the armor was painted Goblin Green with Scab Red Lining. It gives the effect of cloth. The helmets were a different matter, which took some thinking. In the end, I said screw it and just painted them like a slayer from the lore. The flats of the helmets became Bronze flesh, the ridges through the middle Blood Red for hair and outside brim/horns bronze. Despite the fact that they look like short, tanned, red-haired Mr. T's, I think they came out well, just don't look at them close up...

Still to Do:
    Touch ups from clipping off the Sprue
    Bases

Picture:

Highs:
    Figuring out how to get the warriors to work
    Ordering 33 proper slayers from Ebay at about 1/2 of what it would cost in Australian $$

Lows:
    Painting 16 dwarfs that look EXACTLY the same
    Taking about an hour to get a decent picture of them all, stupid camera...

Stuff for Braad:
    Some quick housekeeping things, last month, I stuffed up. I meant to put 179pts instead of 316, sorry . Also, do would it be possible to change my army name to Slayer Cult or the like, Dwarfs sounds boring (no offense to other dwarf players, boring for my army in respect to general dwarfs, I dunno, i'm just nit-picky, hehe)
    This month's Points:
    Dragon Slayer: 119
    16x Troll Slayers: 194
    Last Month's Dragon Slayer: 179
    Overall Total: 492
    Update: Thankyou Braad! Much appreciated

Army Shot:

I'll do comments later in the month when more entries are in

Next month:
    Proper Slayers! Edit: Just got my first lot of 16 today from eBay. They are the classic models and I cant wait to paint them after my school crap this week is over. Also got Ungrim Ironfist and Gotrek and Felix BOO YA! Would it be weird to have a human leading slayers :P
    Goblin Hewer!
    Doom Seekers
    Oh My!
    Last edited by Shazarn; 08-02-2010 at 03:33.
    Is it just me, or does the idea of a dwarf seeking death with "LOTS and LOTS of Pistols" seem imbalanced

Halfway through.. I guess it's time for my first JOKER then.
    Been a busy month, but not so much for painting.

\m/ Metalhead of Warseer \m/

"War is not about who is right, but who is left"
    - Ad finem temporum -

Arobe: Unded vampire

UNIT: A lot of stuff this month, I have tournament to go to this month

2 units of 3 spirit host

1 corpse cart with bale fire

1 corpse cart with unholy loadstone

BACKGROUND/THEME: Still working with the evil woods theme, I hope the spirits bring this out even more

BUILD/CONVERSION: well the spirits are different, inspired by Iron Maidens Fear the Dark album cover

PAINTING: Still using the green to do etheral models, not happy with the carts too much going on IMO.

BASING: just the normal water and woods

STILL TO DO: Really it's just characters and some Knights

HIGHS AND LOWS: Just high about being so close to finishing a project

TOTAL POINTS : 1806

Brother Sergeant

Hey guys, sorry for the no pictures last month found out the hard way that wheelchairs, snow and walls do not mix

Army : Seer Squeekskrits Verminous host of Doom

Unit:Grey Seer Squeekskrit
    Painting: Skin is Tallarn Flesh, Fur is Codex Grey, metal is Boltgun Metal, all given a liberal wash of devlan mud, the Bell itself is Bestial Brown and fortress Grey with a liberal wash of devlan mud

Still to do, bases

Dice roll 6

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast