Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tale of Fantasy Painters. Month 6 (& Februarys WIP)

Re: The Tale of Fantasy Painters. Month 6 (& Februarys WIP)

arobe: love the evil-tree idea and representing them as spirit hosts. Fantastic stuff.

@ korkalis
    Do you got a point value for that? I really have no clue...
    Tale of Fantasy Painters hall of fame: 2008/09 edition, 2009/10 edition, 2010/11 edition, 2011/12 edition

Even I have a Blog nowadays...

Hey all,

UNIT: 2x 5 heavy cavalry with barding, musician and champion.
    BACKGROUND/THEME: Just your everyday force of Averland mercenary cavalry, that's all!
    BUILD/CONVERSION: Not really, they are pretty much straight out of the box.
    PAINTING: Did a dark purply black armour instead of shiny for these guys.
    BASING: The usual
    STILL TO DO: Add shields(if I ever get to it)
    HIGHS AND LOWS: They were very fast to paint, as most of the models were metal, so I used about half a pot of boltgun metal, then half a pot of badab black wash.
    TOTAL POINTS : 1299

Die Roll:3

Cheers

Peyton

Brother Sergeant

oops yeah its 540 with magic items

Army: Beasts of Chaos/Beastmen, 1000+ points

Unit(s): Wargor Battle Standard Bearer

Painting/Modeling/Basing: Same as always, I suppose. Tried for a cheap water effects look on the base, which turned out pretty nice. The scrawled sigils on the banner are a little rugged, but I think it works.

Highs/Lows: Another low model count month for me! I am excited about the new book this weekend, but it has also made me hesitant to paint certain units. I spent most of my hobby-time this month assembling and modeling for both my Beasts and my Skaven. I am happy with how my BSB turned out though, particularly the hues in the banner itself.

Total Points:885

Dice Roll: 4

The pictures are a little unflattering, as usual.
    I also attached some pictures of my WIP Razorgor. I don't share the hate for the new model that everyone else seems to, but I want my horde to have a unique look.

Army: Greeenskins

Unit(s): Black orc bsb on boar

Painting/Modeling/Basing: The model is the orc warboss from on a wyvern with the plastic black orc army to hold a banner. The basing is done as usual.

Highs/Lows: The black orc and 2 boars that run down a unit from 20 swordsmen after beating them in combat

Total Points: 1354

WAAAGH GHAZAK, fear the might from the goblins
    Never underestimate the power of mushroom driven fanatic's

My greenskin blog

Dark Elves.

Unit: Reaper Bolt Thrower, 2nd Warrior unit, plus 4 extra warriors for 1st unit.

Army Total Points:1498

Models: 44

Build/Conversion:Lordling had spear constructed from spare banner pole and sword blade.

Painting: Changed the composition of the highlights from just adding fortress gray to everything, to some more suitable colour combinations.
    Basing: Sand, GW Charadon Granite, Vallejo MC Stone Grey, flock/static grass.

Highs/Lows: Actually got more done than I expected this time, wasnít planning on doing the second spear unit straight away, but there you go.
    Still to do: Nothing to see here.

Dice Roll: 1 (for what itís worth)
    Reaper Bolt Thrower plus extra warriors.

2nd Warrior unit.

Next Month:
    5 new plastic Cold one Knights, plus whatever else I sneak in.
    Non Possum Recordari ....... I think!

Servo et Custodia

I'll have to post my second JOKAERO... Oh wait, this is the fantasy thread, not 40k... Joker it is. of course.

Make me start painting again!

Brother Sergeant

I am still here and im still painting! (to a certain degree atleast)
    Let it be said that i feel kinda bad for only painting a single character/a few expensive models for each entry; but its basically all i find time for. :/

This Month:
    Another lvl 2 (or occasonally scroll caddie) Sorcerer of Chaos.
    Pts: 120
    Dice Roll: 5
    Still to do; more highlighting of the skull staff, small bit of flock on the base, maybe some highlight of the skin.

Note that the lighting conditions were horrible when i took the picture, so highlights on the skull dont show up, and the folds in the robe shows better then what i can see with my bare eye.

Small army shot:

In the background you may notice the standard bearer for the chosen unit, 4 chosen with old shield, old head, spear and a deamonette head. And the body of a chaos knight mounted on a High Elf White Lion. (for use as deamonic mount of Slaanesh)

Ok, I'm down as out for this after dissapearing off the radar after the first month but have recently been struck with the painting bug again, I reckon I can make back the months I've missed with a submission this month (tomorrow) and then a big submission next month, it'll be character heavy but they need to be done to finish off my 2k force before I move onto expanding to 3k.

I realise that just doing stuff in bursts really isn't the idea of this but if I get some stuff posted will I be able to join back in?

Army: Stirland River Patrol (1000 pt)

Unit: Hellblaster Volley Gun

Army Total Points:690

Build/Conversion:Straight from the box

Painting: Same as prior

Highs/Lows: Did these quicker than i wanted, especially the hellblaster itself, the crew are fine. Played too much Dragon Age.

Still to do: Bases

Dice Roll: 2

All crappy pics, the colors are washed out but these were the least crappy.

Last edited by Calibretto; 04-02-2010 at 15:17.

Chapter Master Morglum Necksnapper's Avatar

I've painted some more savage orc arrerboys. And arranged them in 4 units of 10, including shamans and banners. 2 units have champions and musicians, but I didn't count them for points, as I will be adding more arrerboy units, champions and musicians.

I added a second giant.

and added a savage orc warboss on wyvern

for more detailed shots see my project log.

And a (blurry) total shot of the armies...

Total points: 2314 (as I don't have my armybook with me right now, I didn't count the champions and musicians.

Now some comments.

@Harry,
    great Dragon ogres, beautiful armour and bases.
    The Reiksguard foot soldiers are old school models, painted old school. And it swells the heart, bringing me back to the early nineties with Warhammer 4th edition. Briliant.

@ Ego Ninja,
    I love the nurgling swarm, I like how you think big! Removing moldlines would really enhance the look of the models.
    The Reiksguard knights are very well painted with nice bases.

@ Jim,
    great quality in painting. Would be great if all the Empire armies in this TOFP would be united in the end for a group shot.

@ Braad,
    nice warpaint on the savage orc. Looking forward seeing him on the wyvern next month! And thanks for the kind words in the previous months thread. I’m still here ;-)

@ EmperorNorton,
    I like your old Kislivetes, the Altdorf color scheme looks good on them. Adding just a slight highlight, and sealing them with a satin varnish instead of gloss would really make them look ace! I also like the Knights panther unit, would love to see them in a larger unit (say 15 or 18).

@ Desert Rain,
    Nice colors, they look good on the High elves.

@ Dino,
    colorfull dwarfs, and great looking gold.

@ Doi,

How in the hell did you do the grass on the ogres bases? Looks great! It would be nice if you add more contrast to the eyes, more dark shading around the eyes and more highlights in the eyes. Because the ogres are so few and big, one concentrates on the face much more.
    Giving the ogres different colored pants, even with designs, makes them look like they have a sence of fashion. I’m not sure if I like that... But great painting all in all!

@ Krzyek,
    splended looking wizards, what an amount of detail on the gems and other details. Although I would add some shading and highlights to the light wizards gold staff.

@ fluffystuff,
    Lovely painting, and the bases and movement tray are ACE!

@ gsmc,
    nice skincolor for the ogres. Removing the mouldlines on the ogres weapon would look nicer.

@ Shazarn,
    Looking forward to see a huge amount of slayers, these would blend in wonderfully with the new ones you got from Ebay. The dwarfs would look better if you’ve added some more shading with black ink or something, to give the models more depth.

@ arobe,
    magnificent models, conversions, painting and bases. Wonderfull!

@ korkalis,
    great, great,great!

@ Dakkapantz,
    great looking armour, very dark, and nice bases. Looks really realistic.

@ 8bitMummies,
    now that is a beastman! Wonderfull, rugged, rough and dangerous.

@ Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull,
    wonderfull freehand on the banner!

@ Bluesabre,
    not a Dark elf fan myself, I must say these look splendid. Great paintjob.

@ Giledan,
    I adore the sorcerer. What a filthy creature, painted very smoothly.

@ Calibretto,
    great color combination. The guys could use a bit of shading.

Veteran Sergeant

Army: Orcs and Goblins (2000pts)

Background/Theme: retro orcs and gobs

Month 6 submission

Unit(s): 2 trolls 23 night goblin archers, 5 night goblins, 1 orc bigun, 1 fanatic

Build/Conversion: troll hand swap

Painting: lots of various shades of blue for trolls and purple for the n goblins

Basing: drybrushed grey and brown

Still to do: more or less complete.

Highs and Lows: took ages, emigrating to oz in the start of april, donít know what will happen with the painting

Total: 1257/2000

Dice Roll: 6

Next month- hopefully squig hoppers

Quote Originally Posted by nkicik View Post
    I realise that just doing stuff in bursts really isn't the idea of this but if I get some stuff posted will I be able to join back in?
    Sure. As soon as you post either an entry or a joker, you're back in. If you just post a joker in the months you got nothing you also prevent the 'Out' word from popping up behind your name.
    Tale of Fantasy Painters hall of fame: 2008/09 edition, 2009/10 edition, 2010/11 edition, 2011/12 edition

Even I have a Blog nowadays...

Army: Miraglean Dogs of War, 2000 points
    Dice Roll: 1
    Unit: 5 Volands Venator's.
    Build/Conversion: These Venator's are made out of regular Empire Knights with a few bits from other kits. Notable are 3 GreatSword heads. The other 2 heads are converted from regular Knight heads. The shields are the old style state troop shields with sculpted V's on them.
    Painting/Basing: Nothing particularly special about the painting. Just basecoast, wash, then highlight up. Same for the basing really.
    Still to do: I think the armour probably needs one last highlight with mithril mixed in. Mercs shouldn't be quite so shiny. Also, I'm not 100% happy how Voland's shield turned out, and given I bought far too many shields anyway (I thought it was only 4 to a pack... rather than 8... so ended up with 24!) I've got plenty of them to get it right.
    High's and Lows: Hmm... it wasn't as satisfying to paint these horses I think. The black armour was a little interesting since it's probably the first time I've tried shading black properly. Realistically they should be a more brass colour, but it just turns out gold all the time (I've figured out a good scheme for brass lately... but too late now). Still, I feel they look impressive, and also saved me a ton of cash rather than buying the official models.
    Points so far: 1119
    Next Month: Next month is going to be a biggy. If everything goes smoothyl, I may even hit 2000 points as strange as it sounds to do 800 points in one month. The fact is, Asarnil is almost ready to go, just a few touchups there. My Wizard Lord is in a similar state while painting him this week. I need to finish off my Bearmen of Urslo and Man-Eater for a tournament in March, so really! If I don't have everything done, I'll be chopping my painting score! So here's hoping everything runs smoothly.

Army: Empire Nordland Army

Unit(s): Battle Wizard, 10 handgunners, 10 swordsmen, 14 halfling spearmen (FC)

Painting/Modeling/Basing: Same as always... bit difficult at first due to a slight tremor following my shoulder surgery, but still all right I guess. Loving the new basing method, takes a bit more time but it's worth it. Too bad I don't do it on my dark elves... but I like consistency in my armies.

Highs/Lows: A definite high is the model count. I figured that now I have the time (recovering post surgery), quantity is more important than quality. Another high is that I almost bought my joker back, and I definitely will when I paint up the steamtank I have planned for next month. A low is my growing frustration with these state troops... how many daggers and swords must one carry? I figured one and maybe two was more then enough. Not according to these sculptors though! Lots of love for the halflings from Black Hat Miniatures... simply gorgeous minis!

Total Points: 820 + 330 = 1150 pts, yeah baby :-).

Battle wizard:

Swordsmen:

Handgunners:

Halfling Spearmen:

Army: Dark Elves

Unit(s): Master on Manticore + 2 units of 5 Dark Riders

Painting/Modeling/Basing: Spent quite some time to get the manticore's wings right... dark riders were a blast to paint. Quick & fun!

Highs/Lows: For my empire I painted lots of foot troops so I thougt I'd paint some cavalry for my Dark Elves... Variation keeps the inspiration coming. No real lows for me. Picture quality is a bit low - I already varnished these guys!

Total Points: 989 + 450 = 1439 pts, which puts me a little bit ahead of schedule...

Master on Manticore:

Dark Riders:

Sorry guys, I have to lower my goal once more... I won't drop out yet, but please remove my Skaven and put down another joker for my Empire.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to finish 1000 pts for both armies before spring, but I can't play a third joker for my Skaven.

Cheers to everybody still keeping up, you're putting me to shame

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast