Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: The Tale of Fantasy Painters. Month 6 (& Februarys WIP)

Re: The Tale of Fantasy Painters. Month 6 (& Februarys WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Doi View Post
    @ Giant Dwarf: While I could echo the comments about how nice that Noble is, I'm actually more interested in the white horse . How did you do it? And don't tell me it is just Astronomicon Grey blended up to Skull White as I've tried that and it didn't come out that way (it does on a banner, but not on a horse when I've tried it).
    Actually it really is just Astronomicon Grey blended up to Skull White. I think the key is to use diluted paints and many successive layers. Painting large areas with light hue can be very challenging. i.e. that horse took some time. While highlighting, try to keep in mind the direction of the light.

I also use a wet palette. You can keep the paints moist and paintable for extended perioids of time with it and it really helps blending.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/i...owtopic=110635

Veteran Sergeant

A mixture of procrastination and baby puke has put pay to my attempts to get anything painted. It's another joker for me, I'm afraid.

At this rate I'll be trying to paint 1500 points in the last month!

Loving everyone's work. Great to see people's armies coming together.

Time to get my lazy @$$ into gear and finish this month's slayers. Thanks to all that commented, yes the Dwarf Warriors as slayers was a bit of a flop but thankfully they wont have to be anywhere near the front ranks (I'm going to strip the horn and standard off them to put on slayers). Finally bought some dwarf flesh and Devon mud (something like that) ink which makes the details on the slayers skin really pop. Thanks to whoever suggested that, can't remember who sorry
    Comments:

@Harry: I haven't seen those models before but DamN! they look nice. The base really pulls it all together. The empire guys are just so cohesive. Just epic work!

@Egoninja: Those casters really compliment each other quite well, like the empire ones but more evil. The mold line is barely noticeable, and besides, whose looking (insert inappropriate Daemonettes joke here )
    The more I see of your empire, the more it makes sense and really looks nice, cant wait to see them all together.

@Jim: Very nice, I love the guy sticking his head out of the top. The sniper rifle is also just ridiculously awesome and the detail on the cloth is very well done.

@Braad: Holy Gork Mork and everyone else. Try not to poke your eye out on that guy. Really a great model. Is it just me or does the human's head look as if theres still blood pumping through his skin. A little too fresh Per se. Thanks again for fixing up my entry in the table

@Emperor Norton: Kislev, heck yea! The fur really makes them pop. Perhaps something more on the bows? The Knights are very well done too. The blue and white seem a tad bright but Im sure it will look nicer next to the rest of the army.

@Desert Rain: I've never been a fan of HEs but that Archmage really stands out. The detail is impeccable. Bolt thrower is a little bland imo. Maybe something else on the wood to make it stand out?

@Dino: Now thats a fine looking set of dwarves. The drummer in the LongBeards is very nice, I'm gathering hes playing with his stein and axe? hehe

@Doi: Always been a fan of ogres. The detail on the muscle is very nice. Maybe some war paint? EmperorNorton Ogre FTW

@Krzyek: Wow. The Death mage just really looks... wow. *Speechless*

@FluffyStuff: I wish my saurus looked that nice. Really like the purple, its a slight twist that really pays off.

@gsmc: " Nice to paint something bigger than a human for a change. Almost like a holiday." Atleast you aint painting stunties. hehe. On topic, great as a dogs of war unit. Im always intrigued to see how people paint DOWs.

@Shazarn: Omg what a noob, srsly l2paint. Oh wait... thats me... nvm

@Arobe: Those spirits are just fan *********** tastic! It really comes across well and blends with the rest of the army. Love the load stone too.

@Korkalis: "wheelchairs, snow and walls do not mix". Ouch! Get well soon mate. The bell on the other hand looks very nice the grain/age in the wood comes across really well and the grayseer is just cool!

@Dakkapantz: Very nicely painted, these guys I can seriously see riding into battle! The plumage is what really sells it for me, those pale tones just fit the bill perfectly.

@8bitmummies: Very nice! That guy just looks incredible and will really standout as a BSB. Cant wait to see the finished razorgor.

@Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull: Fricken cool! The imprint on the banner sells itself so well and just adds that final touch to go from good to great model!

@Bluesabre: Ohh! Shiny! In all seriousness i really like the look of these guys. It brings itself out of the usual dark, dreary dark evles and shows what can be done.

@Giledan: Very cool sorc. His face really pops at you, scares me a little when i look at him *shiver*.That what I think of when i see an ogre butcher too, except bloodier... and with less armour... and with more axes...

@Calibretto: Aha, come non-steam fire power. I love the detail on the crew, especially the guy holding his ears. They all just come together so well.

@Morglum Necksnapper: Now they are cool looking orcs. I though nurglings at first though. May I sugggest making the blows more prominent on some of the sculpts though, just so its obvious what they are. The Giant is awesome, just trying to remember what he reminds me of. That wyvern takes the cake as my fav. painted model in the tale thus far. Far and away Awesomeness.

@Smokemeakipper: Love the retro. The different hood colours really look nice and the trolls are just classics!

@Someone2040: My fav horses thus far. The armour really makes them stand out and the detail is great. Perhaps an insignia on the banner.

@Matrim_Cauthon: The wizard is astounding. The shading on the cloak really pops and the orb is just fantasic! The cap of the staff is a little bland, perhaps a wash? Also, Napoleon Halfling FTW! The manticore is also very well painted, just not sure about the orange hair...

@Nefelwen: Now they look cool! Love the addition of the skele.

@Malorian: Congrats! That really takes alot of will power to do, and It looks fantastic!

@Inquisitor Pariah: They look very nice. The bloodshade looks a little out of place but no doubt that she still works. Black guards are a little underwhelming but fit well with the rest.

@Doc_cthulhu: I must say, those conversions look very nice. The chariot idea is pure genius and the Jezzail is effective.

@Gargobot: Oooohhhh Shiny!!!! The captain reminds me of Cpat Stern from DHs in 40k, looks awesome!

@Verminmistress: I love the reaper models and that one is the near epitemy of Slannesh and the conversion is very natural. The asp staff head looks a little out of place, perhaps a mark of slannesh?

@nkicik: Ahh gotta love basic basic down to earth orcs! I'd recommend a some highlights all around just to make them really pop.

@Necoho: Some of the LoTR models are really quite great and its good to see them in other settings. They really fit well for spirit hosts. The Manticore is the epitemy of what I see a Varghulf as, except without wings for some reason

@Strom Crow: Its nice to see some brighter Darkelves whilst still remaining evil and sinister. The cloaks are very nice and really pull together.

@jahorin: Despite the fact that it is a small conversion, it really stands out and gives the unit a much grander and sinister sense. The gold seems just a little to bright to me though

@KHolbourn: That Priest is just nasty! Very nice detail on the books and face. The flaggelents I think could be a bit more, hmmm, crazy but still come together nicely as a unit. The BSB's banner is really impressive, as is the wizard.

@perplexiti: The standard really pops when you look at him and the detail on the beard is great! Not sure about the Gyro though, always thought of them a bit flashier i think. Still nice though!

@Inquisitor Pariah: Wow! the converted treemen look great finished as i wasnt sure about them at first, and the BsB is very well put together.

@TonyFlow: The giant looks great, probably just needs some highlights on the face. The mortar team work very well together and compliment the handgunners.

@Dwarfhold13: Love the engine! THe stegadon really looks great and the machine itself is bright but not too bright. Perfect! Congrats on the child!

@Avian: Again, Stunningly wow! Just not sure about an all yellow Tzeench lord but it still looks very impressive.

@Giant Dwarf: I love that wood elf model and he really pops! The other two could stand out a little more i think but are no less impressive.

Whew! Done. Now back to stunties and mercilessly scanning ebay for Long Drong!
    Is it just me, or does the idea of a dwarf seeking death with "LOTS and LOTS of Pistols" seem imbalanced

Quote Originally Posted by Shazarn View Post
    Is it just me or does the human's head look as if theres still blood pumping through his skin. A little too fresh Per se.
    It's very important to always have a fresh head with you. You'll never know when you're gonna need it!
    Tale of Fantasy Painters hall of fame: 2008/09 edition, 2009/10 edition, 2010/11 edition, 2011/12 edition

Even I have a Blog nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by Braad View Post
    It's very important to always have a fresh head with you. You'll never know when you're gonna need it!
    You may have a point there
    Is it just me, or does the idea of a dwarf seeking death with "LOTS and LOTS of Pistols" seem imbalanced

Hi everyone, apologies for my recent absence. Like a few people on here, I have been suffering from a seasonal lack of motivation, coupled with the lousy weather we've had since christmas, which has prevented me from spray priming new miniatures. Oh yeah, I've been rather distracted by a new guitar.

Luckily for me, I was quite a bit in front anyway, so I'll still finish the tale on time. To re-motivate my painting I'm going to get to work on my Steam Tank, so I'll play a temporary joker for this month, and buy it back at the end of March.

Well done to everyone who has posted for this month, there is some wonderful stuff here as usual. Special congratulations to Dwarfhold13, great work there fella! - The baby ain't bad either!
    Billy Fish - "Are you angels?"
    Peachy Carnehan - "No, we are Englishmen, which is the next best thing!"

Brother Sergeant

Hey guys, sorry you haven't heard much from me. I've looked at all your work and it's really great, now that wrestling is over I just need to get my camera working so I can join you. I have 3 or 4 hundred points of DE painted, but I noticed I have a bunch of jokers from before I joined the tale or even owned dark elves. Do I have to buy those back, or can I just ignore them since I don't even have a 2000 point army yet? I could also post some pics of my VC that I painted during that time. Thanks guys and great work, I'll try to get some stuff ready next month to make up for this month's and last month's lack of pictures.

ARMY : Empire - Talabheim (2000 Points)

UNITS: 21 Greatswords with full command & 1 Captain

BACKGROUND/THEME: Reinhart Walenberg was expected to have a long and successful military career as a member of one of Talabheim's knightly orders. The son of a member of the Hunter's Council, he never doubted his destiny until his father was arrested and imprisoned on charges of misdirecting city funds. Suddenly a social outcast, Reinhart knew the only way to regain some measure of honour and acceptance was to make a name for himself. Taking command of the Redshirts, his father's greatswords, he fights the enemies of Talabheim, either alone or allied with the city's commanders.

His sister Anna has always competed with her brother at martial pursuits. Since childhood they have often been seen together riding, hunting and fencing, and she is as skilled as he with the longbow, sword and pistol. Since her father's disgrace she has joined Reinhart in his campaigns, wearing a highly gilded suit of plate armour that belonged to her great grandmother. Such a striking figure has not gone unnoticed, and the population of Talabheim have taken to referring to the Redshirts as "Anna's Goldswords" with a mixture of pride and irreverence.

BUILD/CONVERSION: Mainly Greatswords with lots of other legs, bodies and heads from two editions of Empire Battalion boxes. Still not sure how I ended up with twenty one? The Captain is a hasslefree miniatures figure.

PAINTING: Red. White. Oh, a little bit of green! The captain is based in tin bitz, then layered up to shining gold with a wash of devlan mud.

STILL TO DO: I need to repaint the standard.

HIGHS AND LOWS: Rrrr, still hanging on in there...

TOTAL POINTS : 983

DICE ROLL : 3

Hello you reader of these words,

so I got motivated a bit but not enough to get anything really finished. Since I used my two jokers already, is it possible to degrade me into the boys category? Otherwise I might just tagging allong anyways

So what did I do this month: I made a unit of wild riders! Because the ones you can buy aren't that nice in my opinion they had to be converted! The idea behind it isn't really mine, so I deserve no credit for that. Here they are 6 wildriders with standard and owl-musican(unpainted and in need to be deflashed (is that the right word?)).

Nice work from everybody so far. I hope I can get back into the game and really paint something and comment your nice works.

Regards Ben

Librarian

Month 6

Right after buying back my previous month' jokers here is this month's attempt.

Army: Empire

Theme: Middenheim with some bits and bobs from other states (and to teach myself how to paint).

Month 6:
    Captain (60) & Mounted Captain (78) and Warrior Priest (98) = 236 Points

Hopefully managed to improve on my previous green & flock bases!

Quote Originally Posted by Grebulon View Post
    I have 3 or 4 hundred points of DE painted, but I noticed I have a bunch of jokers from before I joined the tale or even owned dark elves. Do I have to buy those back, or can I just ignore them since I don't even have a 2000 point army yet?
    You can ignore them if you like. If you finish with less then 2000, you just don't get a mention in the men's hall of fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Mole View Post
    so I got motivated a bit but not enough to get anything really finished. Since I used my two jokers already, is it possible to degrade me into the boys category? Otherwise I might just tagging allong anyways
    It is possible. I just moved you to the other team.

I'm gonna put the table into a pic now, so stuff posted from now on might not be in the next thread right away.
    Tale of Fantasy Painters hall of fame: 2008/09 edition, 2009/10 edition, 2010/11 edition, 2011/12 edition

Even I have a Blog nowadays...

Brother Sergeant

Hi
    I have to play a joker this month (february)...

well i think im out just havent had motivation and school has been terrible as of late
    Please Visit my TOFP log staring skaven of the grey council C&C welcome http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215684

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8