Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The (miniature) Land of Oz

The (miniature) Land of Oz

Hey everyone.

Straight off the bat I hope I haven't disappointed anyone coming to this thread expecting this would be a Moot army consisting of converted munchkin hobbits. Instead I give you the painting efforts of a small group of hobby enthusiasts from Oz (Australia) as we struggle through our painting endeavours. We have all been playing warhammer fantasy for around 5-8 years...I'm hazy with details now...and between us we have collected from just about every fantasy army currently available. I myself have Tomb Kings, Dark Elves, and Orcs and Goblins along with other assorted chaos knick knacks.

After unsuccessfully attempting the tale of fantasy painters this year we decided to start our own log through which we can share our struggles and triumphs as we continue with the hobby. As we play regularly we thought it might also be a place to vent our anger, wax lyrical about background, report our victories and losses, and generally show to the world our little take on the hobby in the hopes of attracting your comments, opinions, criticisms and whatever else you feel like telling us.

For now I present my debut miniature for this log, unfortunately it isn't anything particularly spectacular (I'll leave that up to someone else) but it's a start. So without further adieu we present;

The (miniature) Land of Oz

This is a Night Goblin Shaman I painted over the last couple of days for my Blood Eye Tribe. Although his name is pending I can tell you he occassionally carries an 'itty ring and a cauldron full of magic mushrooms.

Also I have a few pictures of the corsairs I was desperately trying to finish for the tale but simply lost motivation for midway through

So that's all from me for now, I know Alathir wants to post up his newly painted skaven miniatures and vent his frustration at the new beastmen book so until then all the best and happy gaming!

If you want to see more of our painting/gaming check out this old thread
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219245

Re: The (miniature) Land of Oz

Sadly, I also have thrown in the towel for this year's tale, despite my ability to get through the whole year in 2009, I just couldnt maintain the momentum. However, I hope this log will keep myself (and the rest of us) motivated to keep painting as the year goes on.

By the way, I'm Alathir, I play High Elves, Bretonnians and Skaven. I also plan to start a Tau army in 40k.

I've always considered myself a player who values honour, skill and discipline in his armies. I play Bretonnians and High Elves - both of which have them in spades - and I was considering Dwarfs for my third army. However, a friend of mine (Kroq'Gar on these boards) leant me the Gotrek and Felix books and I just ate them up. One of the best things I got out of those stories was truly understanding the Skaven character and mindset. I used to think they were just stupid and had no appeal but when I saw just how pathetically devious they were I just fell in love with the ugly bastards.

Then, I saw the first images of the (then) upcoming Clanrats and I was sold. I just thought those models nailed the weedy, hate-filled nature of the Skaven. So it was, that a Bretonnian/High Elf player took up Skaven as his third army. They are led by Skritter, a rogue Greyseer who is shamelessly based upon the Joker himself. You may notice that 'HA HA HA HA' is scribbled all over my Clanrat banners... And also, Skritter doesnt use the lore of Pestiliens he used the Lore of Smilex!

With the Clanrats I didn't want them to have a unifying color as I think horde armies work best when they look as ramshackle as possible. I didn't want to spend alot of time on these guys as this is my first horde army so I worked in pretty much only GW foundation paints and washes (both are amazing!)

Hope you enjoy!

And this is the Clanrat, Scroby! Painted by Stormcrow himself.

So thats it from me for now, I'll save my gripes with the new Beastmen book for another time (And just to note, it isn't complaints in regards to the list but rather the background itself.)
    Last edited by Alathir; 11-02-2010 at 12:22.
    Check out Stormcrow and Alathir's Battle Reports
    Blood and Dust
    and The Enemy of my Enemy

Come see Alathir and Stormcrow's models in the Miniature Land of Oz!

Solid paint jobs, grats to you both !

Brother Sergeant

Hi this is Dwalin the Fourth Member of this little gaming group,

I collect Dwarfs, Wood Elves and Vampires. Though i have nothing to show off at the moment, i will be posting up some pics within the next week. With most of my models at Alathirs house at the time being and half my paints missing i am contenting myself to paint what i can.

First off the bat is a necromancer from an alternate supplier. The model is a very Shakespearian witch, warts and all. So yes there are three of them in all and even a cauldron(think Scottish play). I'll post them up as they are done. Well that leaves me with just one thing to say...

Kroq-gar paint some damn models!

good to see some more aussies on here
    where abouts are you guys based?
    nice work so far btw
    Quote Originally Posted by tezdal View Post
    Well, I'd be slightly miffed if I signed up for Chaos and all I got was a stupid tentacle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Splata View Post
    Frgt/10: Keeping random speculation on track.

Nice painting, I'm really impressed by the all Foundation/Washes clan rats.
    I'll keep an eye on this log.

Nice work. I have to agree with you on the foundation paints and washes, between the two it is very possible to paint up a nice model with little effort.

this sure looks interresting...
    i know how you guys feel..warhammer is very tempting and has charms around every corner...something that can easily distract you from building and painting on on your existing army....
    i have been there a couple of times myself...

but as long as you as a bunch of one gaming club can start a log like this it easily becomes nicer to actually do post and paint...

i allready love the gobo shaman...great colour choice...stormcrow...nice avatar and nickname btw...did you make that ava yourself?

the skaven appeal to me a lot more with the new models and i really like your painting on it alathir
    as you are playing high elves i wonder...do you play the metal special choices like white lions or did you convert them out of other plastics?

Hey everyone,

You leave for a couple of days and you're on page 3!

Quote Originally Posted by Frgt/10 View Post
    good to see some more aussies on here
    where abouts are you guys based?
    nice work so far btw
    Thanks Frgt/10, we are all on the northern beaches in Sydney, our group is myself, Alathir, Dwalin, and Kroq-Gar...although Kroq-Gar will probably never turn up on this thread because he never paints anything EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargobot View Post
    Yeah, we have all fallen in love with the foundation paints, my corsair cloaks are mostly just dheneb stone over Calthan brown with Knarloc Green for the scales washed Devlan mud! Too easy

Quote Originally Posted by The Wraithlord View Post
    Nice work. I have to agree with you on the foundation paints and washes, between the two it is very possible to paint up a nice model with little effort.
    Yeah, i managed 25 orcs over a couple of quick sessions using the foundation/wash method

Quote Originally Posted by Breazer View Post
    this sure looks interresting...
    i know how you guys feel..warhammer is very tempting and has charms around every corner...something that can easily distract you from building and painting on on your existing army....
    i have been there a couple of times myself...

but as long as you as a bunch of one gaming club can start a log like this it easily becomes nicer to actually do post and paint...

i allready love the gobo shaman...great colour choice...stormcrow...nice avatar and nickname btw...did you make that ava yourself?

the skaven appeal to me a lot more with the new models and i really like your painting on it alathir
    as you are playing high elves i wonder...do you play the metal special choices like white lions or did you convert them out of other plastics?
    Thanks Breazer, i've been lurking on your Tzeentch log over the last couple of months (easily the best chaos god) and really liked your work, I'll have to post up some of my Tzeentch demons eventually. The avatar i just got off google , awesome band though!
    We all agreed to the log because otherwise we'd be playing with unpainted models forever, at least this way we can motivate/tease each other into doing more painting. Glad you liked the shaman, unfortunately his subordinates will not be so colourful...for now. And doubly unfortunately he exploded in a game on the weekend when trying to kill grail knights, i guess they really DID have the lady's blessing.

Anyway that's all for now. The other guys are probably playing call of duty or something so I'll take this oppourtunity to say "GET OFF YOUR ARSES AND PAINT!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gargobot View Post
    Thanks very much, mate. I really don't deserve much credit, the paints did all the work for me.

Thanks a bunch. Haha, yeah as much as I love the current Phoenix Guard models, the White Lions (and Swordmasters to a lesser extent) leave alot to be desired. So yeah, I have painted up 20 of the metal White Lions, however I eagerly anticipate a plastic release from GW. Although, in the end the models don't look too bad once you paint them yourself and hold them in your hand.

Here are mine; nothing special but they get the job done. Painted these for last year's Tale of Fantasy Painters. Terrible photos and the red seems SUPA RED for some reason...

Blood and Dust

Cool color scheme on the White Lions, is that an army wide color scheme?
    On the Lions with the white lion furs it gives a great contrast. I'm wondering how it looks on other units.

Quote Originally Posted by Alathir
    Thanks very much, mate. I really don't deserve much credit, the paints did all the work for me.
    No shame in that, the new paints are super awesome. Use them myself on almost everything.

Back again to report the last couple of weeks work

There has been a bit of gaming and a bit of painting by the whole crew. I have been busily tackling my greenskin waaagh adding another 10 orc boys to the horde. Alathir has been getting to grips with the new skaven doomwheel and has made some progress. Dwalin has been painting up his necromancers and is almost finished with the second one, whilst kroq-gar...started...painting a scar veteran.

Today i have some of my older models to show you (by older i mean a couple of years) the first being my first warboss Urgog Bloodeye, leader of the horrifically violent Bloodeye Boy Waaaagh that decimated the southern Empire provinces before being brought low by his own hubris; routed by Dwarfs only to be ambushed by an Elf princeling and slain.

Anyway i had a battle with him yesterday in his reincarnation as Macka Faz, leader of the Black Bones with his sizeable 4000 point waaagh; taking on the combined might of a high elf and dwarven alliance. Although a bloody toll was reaped by both sides ultimately the horde proved too much and swept aside all resistance. Macka Faz himself had a very impressive performance, holding his own against an elf prince in a challenge and routing his unit before being swarmed by elves and dwarves in the following turn and managing to kill a thane and a noble in a single turn of combat. By the end of the game the warboss and his black orcs triumphed over the elite warriors and spearmen, pounded their banners to dust and reclaimed the grizzly totem of their battle standard bearer.

A good day to be an orc all in all!

Here is his retinue of black orcs (formerly Urgog's)

and here is Dwalin's first painted witch (second soon to follow)

Sorry if any of the pics are too blurry, my digital camera is not exactly state of the art...

Hey again.

I have another quick update for you all today. Having picked up a thunderlord from Avatars of War a few months back I finally decided to paint it over the last couple of days.

So I wanted to take a minute to show it off to you all and explain how awesome this miniatures company is. They are quick with orders, can be ordered through online retailers such as Maelstrom, the style and proportions match perfectly with GW, and each one just oozes character. I don't even collect dwarves but after i saw this bad boy I knew I had to have him (I also bought the first slayer). It's great to see that the company is doing so well and I advise everyone who hasn't heard of them to go check them out.

http://arena-deathmatch.com/onlineshop/onlineshop.php

Awesomeness!

As a side note this Dwarf is Eldabor (nicknamed 'Old Grey Beard', not original in any sense but hey), so named after my old Warhammer Online Engineer of the same name. I'm planning to introduce him to a D&D campaign I'm running to blast some Grobi ass. Wish him luck!

All the best

awesome...an orc player that kicked the crap out of high elves and dwarfs at the same time..good going...

thanks for the compliment on my tzeentch there stormcrow...even though my beastmen are looking far better....for some reason i all of a sudden take a lot more time... i plan on doing some more of my orcs too when the new models come out....or well i mean i will paint up the remaining stuff i have laying around...which is quite a lot....
    but yeh just wanted to say...awesome job and that dwarf also looks really well done....keep it up...i'll be dropping by when i can

awesome...an orc player that kicked the crap out of high elves and dwarfs at the same time..good going...

thanks for the compliment on my tzeentch there stormcrow...even though my beastmen are looking far better....for some reason i all of a sudden take a lot more time... i plan on doing some more of my orcs too when the new models come out....or well i mean i will paint up the remaining stuff i have laying around...which is quite a lot....
    but yeh just wanted to say...awesome job and that dwarf also looks really well done....keep it up...i'll be dropping by when i can
    Thanks Breazer, I'll try to make more updates to the log

In keeping with painting up dwarves i have another Avatar of War to show you today (still have 4 to go, and have more to buy). Today is the figure that started Felix's foray into independent model making and what a cracker it is.

Karlorr the Dwarf Slayer!

And with his older brother Eldabor

Another miniature I painted for use in D&D, this was a lot of fun and reasonably quick. I am quite happy with the results although I might add some more highlights to the beard and add some wood grain texture to the right axe shaft. This has been one of only a couple of models I have tried source lighting on too and I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

you did very well there....it really looks glowing...just you can add a little bit of reflection on the hand because that was what made me wonder if it was painted that way or just me...

the gems on him you did awesome....and im curious to your next update....so far its quite the skilled painting...keep it up!

Gah! I still haven't posted an update yet, what a lowly bastard I am. Oh well... time passes differently for us elven folk... Yeah, that excuse will do fine.

Loving the slayer, Stormcrow. Look forward to fighting alongside him!
    Blood and Dust

you did very well there....it really looks glowing...just you can add a little bit of reflection on the hand because that was what made me wonder if it was painted that way or just me...

the gems on him you did awesome....and im curious to your next update....so far its quite the skilled painting...keep it up!
    Thanks again Breazer, and you know i was going to paint a reflection on his hand but i was scared of screwing it up! I'll go back and do that once I've based him

Quote Originally Posted by Alathir View Post
    Gah! I still haven't posted an update yet, what a lowly bastard I am. Oh well... time passes differently for us elven folk... Yeah, that excuse will do fine.

Loving the slayer, Stormcrow. Look forward to fighting alongside him!
    Yes you are a lowly bastard

Paint your doomwheel dammit!

Brief 'update' this time. One of my courses at uni this semester is all to do with photoshop (introductory) so to get a bit of practice and make my models look cooler i decided to do a bit of work on one of my old tomb king pics (i got all excited after reading the rumour round up...even if half the stuff isn't true). Anyway long story short this was the end result of my efforts;

Hopefully I'll have some fresh updates soon, been working on my orcs and gobbo's again recently

*metal voice* STORMCROW!!!
    woah dude that looks really neat...haha
    the models also look pretty well done there...keep it going!!

Nice topic you guys have here and a lot of cool minis too. The skavens look very cool and greyish as they should and the characters are really awesome.
    The axe from the slayer looks stunning with the blue blending into the gold, it looks like a real magic weapon.
    The elves also look cool with the supa red, it makes them supa aggressive too and there's nothing wrong with that, white lions rule!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast