Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Basing Epic miniatures?

Basing Epic miniatures?

Hi guys I managed to get intro gamed into epic and now want to put together an army for it. I basically have at a rough (inexperienced) guess maybe 4000pts of Chaos not including demons or a potential titan. Sadly alot of the models have had so much glue put on the base (Really old 20x20mm square ones) that they have warped badly, also I dont really like the regimented look of the minis on them.

Now I need to base the infantry but dont really want to spend any money and I want them to look cool.

I have heard that models need to be on a 20mm-40mm base at least.

at first I was set on the regular look of the 40x10mm bases but my opponent charged me in combat in our game and alot of his guys ended up doing a sort of sideways shuffle with his thin side in contact with me (I thought it looked a little silly)

So now I am looking for something else... any recommendations would be great. I have seen some awesome ones on this site but am still a little lost.

I was concidering pennies or two pence pieces for cheapness also it avoides the crab walk attack. Maybe 40k round bases? Would the depth look silly? Are there tactical pros and cons for different base styles?

This may seem really trivial but I am at a loss and would value your opinions.
    There’s no school like
    the Old School

Re: Basing Epic miniatures?

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Drill View Post
    I was concidering pennies or two pence pieces for cheapness also it avoides the crab walk attack. Maybe 40k round bases? Would the depth look silly? Are there tactical pros and cons for different base styles?
    2p pieces for infantry work. 40k bases are too think, it looks really wierd on the table.

I generally find 2p works well for elite armies like SM & CSM, the long thin work better for horde armies like Orks and IG.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...estators-2.jpg

The rulebook, which can be found on the GW website, gives the guidelines for base size and gives a lot of leeway in size and *NO* limitation on shape.

Some people prefer squares, others rectangles, some go for circles or ovals, any shape is allowed within the following parameters; I'm got my Tyranids based on hexagons!

1.1.2 Stands
    As previously noted, a unit can be a single vehicle model, or a
    stand made up of several very small models grouped together
    and glued to a small base. Stands usually represent things like
    infantry, where moving the individual models round on their
    own would be very fiddly with Epic scale models. All the
    models glued to a stand count as a single unit as far as the rules
    are concerned. The size of a stand and the number of models
    glued to it are left pretty much up to the player to decide within
    the following limitations:

• A stand may be no more than 40mm and no less than 5mm
    across in any direction.

• A stand must be at least 20mm across in one direction (ie, a
    5mm by 5mm stand is not allowed, but a 5mm by 20mm
    stand would be okay).

• Stands representing infantry units must have at least three
    infantry models and may not have more than seven. Infantry
    mounted on bikes or horses must have between two and four
    models mounted on each base.

• Stands representing artillery must have between one and two
    artillery pieces and up to six crew models.
    EPIC Eldar Armies Champion
    EPIC Tyranid Army Champion
    NetEA-ERC
    Lead Designer "EPIC: Total War"

"If you get shot enough times, your body will actually build up an immunity to bullets. The real trick lies in surviving the first dozen or so..." - Pope Nag, rpg.net.

I have heard that models need to be on a 20mm-40mm base at least.
    For E:A infantry, at least 20x5mm. Max 40mm in any direction.

Edit: D'oh, beaten.

at first I was set on the regular look of the 40x10mm bases but my opponent charged me in combat in our game and alot of his guys ended up doing a sort of sideways shuffle with his thin side in contact with me (I thought it looked a little silly)
    Sounds a bit underhanded to me. If more than two of his units are in contact per one of yours, he's a cheating bugger. If not, he's not cheating, but he's still being a sneaky git.

Maybe 40k round bases? Would the depth look silly?
    Yup. Sorry.

Are there tactical pros and cons for different base styles?
    Yes, but it needs better heads than mine to explain. I'd mutter something about zones of control and section 1.7.3 of the rules.
    Though once, in a mathshammer-style fit of nerdiness that haunts me, I figured that minis on long rectangular bases should get a better ZoC than on square or circular bases that cover a similar or slightly larger area.

Strip bases should be fine. That said, I've been looking at round board game counters from EM4, for horde army bases.
    Last edited by Verm1s; 27-02-2010 at 20:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Verm1s View Post
    Sounds a bit underhanded to me. If more than two of his units are in contact per one of yours, he's a cheating bugger. If not, he's not cheating, but he's still being a sneaky git.

I am sure he wasnt doing anything to cheeky, I had more units than him in my formation and he only had one stand going into one of mine it was due to the space allowences because of the terrain that he had to conga.

I like the sounds of a 2p piece. I tried a penny and it seemed a little crampt for five guys. I will have a test and let you know. Thanks for the replys guys.
    Last edited by Cpt. Drill; 28-02-2010 at 02:34.
    There’s no school like
    the Old School

I am sure he wasnt doing anything to cheeky, I had more units than him in my formation and he only had one stand going into one of mine it was due to the space allowences because of the terrain that he had to conga.

I like the sounds of a 2p piece. I tried a penny and it seemed a little crampt for five guys. I will have a test and let you know. Thanks for the replys guys.
    don't think 1p pieces are legal for infantry anyway.. as they are not 2cm across.. however they do work well for light vehicles like sentinels or warbuggies.

A 1p piece is 20.33mm accross so it would be legal for bases.

Huzzah worthless trivia has worth!
    There’s no school like
    the Old School

I use 1p coins for small vehicles and infantry (3 per base or 2 mounted inf), it looks quite nice.

I still like the E40k strips best though, even though they can look a bit odd in assaults!

Do you have any pics? It sounds like a nice idea.

I think I am going to go for a 2p for infantry and 1p for dreds and oblitorators.
    There’s no school like
    the Old School

Thin washers are cheap, come in different sizes and readily available and you are not committing high treason by defacing any coins with the Queen's head on it!

If you are set on basing them on rectangular strips the cheapest way of getting them is not by buying the bases from GW but by buying an Epic: Ork infantry box and throwing the infantry away (or using them on other style bases). Seriously. GW crazy pricing!

D.
    Epic:Armageddon - What Apocalypse wants to be when it grows up

Thousand Sons Website - Epic and 40k - !!Now with added stuff!!
    Badab War - A gaming club project - Mantis Warriors W/D/L 4/0/1

Wow I have to admit I couldnt believe that but just checked it out on the website...

GW never fails to amaze me.
    There’s no school like
    the Old School

Yup. Luckily I found that when they had 4 sprues for £7 they also had individual sprues for £0.50. So I ordered about 100 sprues.

Nice.

D.

Quote Originally Posted by daemonkin View Post
    Thin washers are cheap, come in different sizes and readily available and you are not committing high treason by defacing any coins with the Queen's head on it!

Where do you get 20mm washers for less than a penny apiece?

Also, it's not treasonous to deface the coinage any more. Just as well, or all those penny-rolling machines at theme parks and the like would be illegal.

I know it's not but I still wouldn't do it out of respect. Plus I save up my coins and exchange them for nice shiny ones of the £1 variety.

Re washers: I have yet to do it but I was just giving an alternative since some players don't have access to GB pennies and washers are the same the world over (I am guessing here)

D.

True enough. US 1¢ coins are pretty much the same size.

The small and medium Flames of War bases might be an option, albeit a more expensive one. A third option would be 30mm flight stands, or the inner part of the "clix" bases used by Heroclix and the like (both 30mm diameter and flat).

Where do you get clix bases for less than a penny apiece?

There is no such thing as High Treason anymore due to the EU.. however it does still count as taking currency out of circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Verm1s View Post
    Where do you get clix bases for less than a penny apiece?
    Never said it was a cheap option.

On the other hand, if you already have a pile of clix stuff lying around not being used, those bases are effecively free.

If you feel that strongly about the queen get your hands on some american 5 cent pieces. They're great for this stuff.
    -Malakai

You'll never understand how much watching other people's pain gets me off, hearing their screams and knowing that I have the power of a God - Velvet Acid Christ

Hi

Newb to these forums, but I base my infantry on GW strip bases, but I use 20x40 mm or 40x40mm bases for the light vehicles and armour.

Amera do 10 20x40mm , or 5 40x40mm bases for about £0.50. There's a £3.00 postage fee as well.

http://www.amera.co.uk/product.php?range=b

Unfortunately I don't have a decent camera, or I'd post piccies..

Will have to look into the GW Orc packs for bases thingy.

Thanks
    Paul H
    PS Anyone game around Gloucester, UK?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast