Thread: British Falklands/ Cold War DPM

Chaplain

British Falklands/ Cold War DPM

Painting some of Gripping Beast's Falklands range for a possible 80's Cold War goes hot game, and never having done DPM before, coupled with putting my Osprey Falklands book down somewhere (still unpacking after moving house in December so it could be any-bloody-where).

Looking for opinions as to whether these colours/ pattern work for DPM, and would welcome any other suggestions/ tips on 1980's British forces colours or good places to get source material. Just done the trousers to test the scheme and slopped all the flesh on all the figs, if people like I'll try to actually run a proper plog on them.

Re: British Falklands/ Cold War DPM

Theres too much light brown. British DPM has always had a base of Dark green like you have. so i woulduse less light brown. Best thing to do for source is to google british soldiers and look at them or go to a surplus store and buy a field jacket. Failing that pm me your emailand i willsend you some of my pictures and you can have a look. Hope that helps
    HE Re-Panting Log
    Complete
    12 Phoenix Guard
    10 Swordmasters
    1 Lord with Halberd

Chaplain

Cheers - some good ref pics would be brilliant - especially for the webbing - so many Falklands pics I've googled are B&W or so murky as to not get a good feel for the webbing and kit colours. Will PM you an addy.

I got some good advice off Frothers on DPM and put a watery GW Brown wash over the camo to blend it and tone it down a bit - here's how the first guy ended up - just need to varnish and base it - but there's 30+ others to get painted before they all get based.

Chapter Master

There is an unsatisfying lack of L1A1/ FN FAL in this thread. I'll come back later and there had better be FAL. You cant have the words "British", "Falklands", and "Cold War" without a FAL being involved. That's just not right.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by SandQueen View Post
    There is an unsatisfying lack of L1A1/ FN FAL in this thread. I'll come back later and there had better be FAL. You cant have the words "British", "Falklands", and "Cold War" without a FAL being involved. That's just not right.

Better now? - They are on the way

Chapter Master

I suppose that's better. Now you just need some GRU dudes to pit them against. Cant have cold war without GRU

The Falklands wasn't a cold war.........

Source pictures will be with you ASAP. just need to get the USB lead for the camera.

For the time being, the tone of Brit DPm during that time was based on Olive green, nowadays there is green,dark brown, light brown and flecks of black. just google British DPm and look at the pictures. there was less brown back on the last pattern DPM in those days.
    HE Re-Panting Log
    Complete
    12 Phoenix Guard
    10 Swordmasters
    1 Lord with Halberd

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Mabbz101 View Post
    The Falklands wasn't a cold war.........
    I know that it wasn't (although it was bloody cold as I understand it), I'm trying to multi purpose some minis - the Gripping Beast figures were sculpted as a Falklands range, my aim is to use them in a What If? Cold War scenario set somewhere in Eastern Germany ish in the mid 80's, but have the option of using them for the Falklands too.

Sadly there doesn't seem much 28mm for this period easily available now that Mongrel has seemingly faded away :cries:.

If of course anyone has some of those Mongrel figures (Brits or Soviets) lying around and wants to part with them, just PM me

EDIT : oh and thanks in advance on the source photos - much appreciated
    Last edited by richred_uk; 12-03-2010 at 10:04. Reason: to be polite like I was brought up :)

What rules system are you planning on using for the Falklands?

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by nzdarkelf View Post
    What rules system are you planning on using for the Falklands?
    Probably Force on Force - just got a copy from a friend and starting to read through it - that's the plan for Cold War, and if that goes well, I'll look at getting some of Gripping Beast's Argentinians for some Falklands games.

Chaplain

UPDATE

half way through this project (although I expect to buy a lot more figures to flesh it out in time). But I thought I'd share what I've done so far.

Quite enjoying painting these - much more than I thought I would when I started