Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rabies shots hurt!

Rabies shots hurt!

Sunday night was probably one of the worse nights I have ever had. After I finished taking a shower I deiced to go and spend some time with my dog. He starts to knock on my back door, so I let him into the back yard thinking he was to pee, after about ten minutes I hear him growling and barking. I go out and call to him and he doesn't come I get worried, and deiced to go get him. I eventually find him behind my garage, which has about a feet of snow on it. I wade through the snow to get him and find that he his fighting a possum. I run to get him and as I reach for him the possum bits me on my right hand. I grab my bog and run into the house, at this point my hand is bleeding profusely from a number of bits on my hand and my mother rush me to the emergency room of my local hospital.

At the hospital they get the bleeding under control, luckily I didn't need any stitches, but I had to get Rabies vaccinated. This actually took the whole night because they actually didn't have it at this hospital and I had to wait until they got a delivery, they wouldn't discharge me without getting the shots. So at around 3 in the morning the delivery finally came and I received the shots. I got three in my hand around the bit area, one in the shoulder, which really hurt because they used an extra long needle, and one in my butt. I still need to get four more shots and have to go back to the hospital to get them, I am also now a health risk to the town and have to inform my towns health department every time I got to the doctor until I'm finish with the treatment, by law I have to finish the treatment so I can get into big trouble if I don't get all the shots and inform town that I have gone to the hospital at the appointed days.

Despite the fact that my town is only a suburb we have a large wildlife community that includes, possums, squirrels, rabbits, rats, mice, raccoons, groundhogs, wild dogs and cats, and sometimes foxes and deers. So it was only a matter of time that someone on my block would be bitten by something, because of my crappy luck it was me.
    Last edited by HK-47; 01-03-2010 at 19:37.
    You walk outside, you risk your life. You take a drink of water, you risk your life. Nowadays you breath and you risk your life. You donít have a choice. The only thing you can choose is what youíre risking it for...

Re: Rabies shots hurt!

Rabid jokes aside that really sucks. I my self hate shots, and no offence im glad im not you. But i also understand your living area. I live in BC Canada, most if not all of the cities here are in forested areas. You cant go 2 feet with out bumping in to a squrriel or a raccon. Ive had cats and dogs through out the years that get they're kicks from fighting said raccons and have always worried about their health.
    Is the animal control people coming by your house to look for this critter or does your family have to deal with yourselves?
    "I was once an Astartes then I took a plasma bolt to the knee, now Im a Dreadnaught!"
    "No More Rumours"
    My logs: my manhole!
    "Mostly" Eldar-retired
    Nerdcore Now Forum(Nerd/geek rap)
    Free Music!

Quote Originally Posted by Melchiah View Post
    Rabid jokes aside that really sucks. I my self hate shots, and no offence im glad im not you. But i also understand your living area. I live in BC Canada, most if not all of the cities here are in forested areas. You cant go 2 feet with out bumping in to a squrriel or a raccon. Ive had cats and dogs through out the years that get they're kicks from fighting said raccons and have always worried about their health.
    Is the animal control people coming by your house to look for this critter or does your family have to deal with yourselves?
    I honestly don't know, I assume we are going to have to deal with it ourselves because in my town animal control is a private services.
    You walk outside, you risk your life. You take a drink of water, you risk your life. Nowadays you breath and you risk your life. You donít have a choice. The only thing you can choose is what youíre risking it for...

I don't envy you. I've had a lot of innoculations for things a lot less serious and a lot less painful than Rabies and I still pretty much cake myself every single time. I don't think I could take having to wait hours to get multiple shots in quick succession.

I seem to remember hearing a scare rumour when I was little that Rabies shots used a needle that's so big that the doctors need to take a run up and they drive it right through your stomach. Any truth to that?

Banned

Possum's arent hard to remove. They move slow and are easy targets.

As for the shots, yeah, getting a needle jammed into your butt tends to hurt. The alternative though is the belly which hurts an obscene amount

Quote Originally Posted by Steveh15 View Post
    I don't envy you. I've had a lot of innoculations for things a lot less serious and a lot less painful than Rabies and I still pretty much cake myself every single time. I don't think I could take having to wait hours to get multiple shots in quick succession.

I seem to remember hearing a scare rumour when I was little that Rabies shots used a needle that's so big that the doctors need to take a run up and they drive it right through your stomach. Any truth to that?
    The Needles I got in my hand and butt where your standard size needles, however they where basically filled all the way with the vaccine, so the needles stayed in for about a minute or two, the one in my hand took three injections to get the full dosage, also the one in my hand didn't go into my blood but the tissue underneath my skin so I say it slush around when I put pressure on my hand. The largest needle went into my shoulder and that one really hurt because it basically went all the way down into my shoulder blade. I didn't get any shots into my stomach, and the nurse said that the others would be regular injections that I could get into my arm.

yeah needles ans shots hurt but from what i have heard dying from rabies can also be kind of painful
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Banned

No offence OP but Im glad I dont live in the states.
    I hate shots but I get bit by alot of things cause Im around animals alot but I believe Australia is yet to have rabies.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune though, one shot in the arms bad enough but well, you know

Good luck with the rest of them and I hope your dogs ok.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SandQueen View Post
    Possum's arent hard to remove. They move slow and are easy targets.
    You havnt seen our possums in Aus

You guys have Opossums.

Yeah we have FLYING POSSUMS!!! They go for the eyes.

Hellebore
    "Humanity's Insignificance pales in comparison to its Ego." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

"The capacity to think does not assign importance to your thoughts, it merely indicates you can." (Sir Rumplestiltskin)

Gotta love Aus, beautiful place full of wonderful little animals but dont turn your back or they'll have your head off
    Last edited by Mannimarco; 23-03-2010 at 04:42.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashc View Post
    Many wise words from Mannimarco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariobarzanes View Post
    That Clown/herald of nurgle has some interesting ideas.....

Or sit on the toilet, since you can get ambushed there as well by Redback spiders.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere View Post
    Or sit on the toilet, since you can get ambushed there as well by Redback spiders.
    In Australia noone can hear you scream

If the Redbacks dont get you the Funnelweb sleeping in your shoe will.

Chapter Master

Have more trouble with finding white-tails in my bed and suchlike. 'Tis the season for spiders, it seems!
    Quote Originally Posted by The pestilent 1 View Post
    Did Apple kill your parents and burn down your village or something?
    My Brute

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa100 View Post
    No offence OP but Im glad I dont live in the states.
    I hate shots but I get bit by alot of things cause Im around animals alot but I believe Australia is yet to have rabies.
    No, you just get snakes, spiders, crocodiles, drop-bears and insane heat.

Come to England. We got nothin'.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi152 View Post
    No, you just get snakes, spiders, crocodiles, drop-bears and insane heat.

Come to England. We got nothin'.
    Except Kidney Pie, warm beer and unreasonably wet weather

I think Ill take my snakes, crocodiles, spiders, insane heat and drop bears thankyou.

It feels like were the Catachans of the real world "of course Im kidding"

You other countries have nothing on this beast.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	060217_kiwi.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	85296  
    My Fantasy Painting log http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236175
    COME AND VISIT!!!

they wouldn't discharge me without getting the shots......I can get into big trouble if I don't get all the shots
    Which is a good idea in general because only the vaccine works (it's 100% effective, as far as I could find out). If you get infected and not vaccinated after a couple of hours it's basically a death sentence since there is no reliable treatment and the disease is technically 100% lethal. Less than 10 people have officially survived Rabies up to now, and IIRC all but one suffered severe brain damage due to the induced coma and medicine used to treat them.
    Last edited by Bloodknight; 23-03-2010 at 09:26.
    http://www.mekwars.org Play Battletech online in the MegamekNet 3025 campaign environment with people from around the world. New players welcome. Join a noble house and fight for supremacy in the Inner Sphere. Non-commercial community project, no cost.
    My random Sci-Fi Plog, mostly Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar and CSM Recently finished: Mordian Rapier Laser Destroyer, also several tanks WIP

Next to the platypus that's the second weirdest animal on the planet.
    I think you guys forgot about the poisonous octopus and jelly fish, not to mention cobras in your back yard.
    At least the critters in the US kill you slowly enough that you have a chance to make it to the hospital.

HK, I hope your feeling better.
    Save the Earth: It's the only planet with chocolate.
    My Project Logs:
    Tommygun's Backwater Forgeworld: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126270
    Tommygun's Xenotechnology: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244950
    Tommygun does what with paper?: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226343
    Tommygun Ironworks http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304880
    New Paper web site: http://www.modelpaperworld.com/en/

Quote Originally Posted by Tokugawa100 View Post

It feels like were the Catachans of the real world "of course Im kidding"
    Please if you live in Catachan then I live in Nostramo
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast