Thread: Acetone & Plastic Models

Chaplain

Acetone & Plastic Models

I just wanted to point out that Acetone does not melt plastic models for removing paint, many people, forums, etc. had said so and so I went with Simple Green - after 36 hours of sitting in it and a few hours of scrubbing I made very little head way. Acetone was an instant fix and cleaned my mini's up nicely.

Don't believe the hype! Just be sure you don't let them soak in acetone or they will soften up and break easily when scrubbing. In and out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctnoland
    Lastly and most random of the questions... is there a good way to take out an empire tank?
    Quote Originally Posted by enyoss View Post
    What size shoe are you?

Re: Acetone & Plastic Models

When I tested some acetone I put a piece of styrene sprue in acetone for a few hours. It was melted. Was the acetone nailpolish remover? Sometimes the non-acetone stuff isn't clearly labeled. Acetone might work OK for a quick dip & scrub but as for soaking NFW.

Simple green didn't work for you eh? Weird... Usually 12-24h is plenty. Were the models dipped/sealed/varnished/matte-ed? Or were they painted with Enamels?
    Last edited by ledfloyd; 07-03-2010 at 03:37.

Acetone does melt plastic instantly. Maybe you used something different or just dipped the miniature into it for a second or so but believe me, it does melt plastic incredibly quickly. Everyone says that for a reason. It's no hype, it's the truth.

Chaplain

I'm sorry but I had a huge jug of Acetone from work, it smelt pretty terrible and it was very harsh but it did not melt the plastic. It took the paint off VERY quickly as I did not soak it, but dipped the unit, took it out and tooth brushed it for a few moments.

The only experience I had with melting was when I left a unit in for over a minute and when I pulled it out the detail of the shield was softened and blurry, but overall it was a very successful process for me.

Simple Green didn't work for me at all, really, I think the previous painted used something pretty hardcore because it was hours and hours of scrubbing after 36+ hours of soaking and still, nothing. Pissed me off. The undercoat or base coat must have been something that shouldn't have been used because it was on there to stay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctnoland
    Lastly and most random of the questions... is there a good way to take out an empire tank?
    Quote Originally Posted by enyoss View Post
    What size shoe are you?

Acetone is a solvent for polystyrene, period. The surface finnish of the plastic may affect the rate of solution, but that's all.
    "No matter how far or how fast you run, your still in the space where your at."
    Dr Aragorn Van Krippen

Bored by the 2007 Chaos Codex, more & more each day ........Sorry, was that your nurgling?
    OMG!!!?! I'm a Grandfather Again! (full set)
    T.T.F.N.

Must have been the surface finish then or the fact that you just dipped the mini into it. Still, a technique i would never ever suggest to use. It's about as dangerous to the mini as using fire or a sandblaster to get rid of paint. It's a perfect example for the "quick and destructive" way. The way that might give you satisfying results but also can and probably some day will go horribly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sigur View Post
    It's about as dangerous to the mini as using fire or a sandblaster to get rid of paint. It's a perfect example for the "quick and destructive" way.
    You mean I cant use a blowtorch? drat. that was the plan!!!
    I too can confirm that acetone melts pretty quick, I dipped a metal fig with a platic shoulder guard, and it turned kinda spongy and sloppy and slid off after mere seconds, FAIL!!

ElTanko
    ElTanko's Spare Time - Click! - Updated 8th July 2011

ROUSING THE BRAYHERD - BEASTMEN - Updated 24th July 2011

At my local hardware store there are a couple different kinds of simple green. My friend and I each picked up a different type when we went to strip models a few months ago. I got a smaller bottle of a "concentrated" solution and he got a 2 litre jug of a regular solution. The concentrated solution I got produced the results I had read about online after a 12-15 hour soak I was able to scrub basically all of the paint off both my plastic and metal models. My friend had a very hard time with his solution. He soaked repeatedly for 12-24 hours trying to toothbrush the paint off in between and at the end of a few days his mini still had more paint on it than mine did. So i've seen firsthand that different solutions of Simple Green produce different results. It may be worth it to look around and make sure you are getting a "concentrated" solution.

Denatured Alcohol. Use it. Its great! I stripped my land raider with this stuff and You can use to clean brushes and stuff. I love it! I think it might be paint thinner, but idk.

It is great for modeling plasma victims though

acetone free stuff is clearly labelled in superdrug for UK based gamers! just look for own brand stuff. I think its green, could be wrong.

still seems to soften plastics slightly if left in too long.as long as you dont soak them for hours you are fine
    Please sponsor me for the UK forum all stars weekend, just giving page below

http://www.justgiving.com/Forumallstars-ted

(its safe and secure! I dont see your details!)

Chapter Master Scryer in the Darkness's Avatar

Acetone will melt plastic models. It's a fact. You can't get around its innate chemical nature. It's how acetone is composed chemically. Do quick dunk'n'scrubs if you wish, but you are absolutely risking ruining your models and I would never recommend it to anyone.
    Void... blissful void.

Acetone does indeed melt plastic. Perhaps if you were to dip a toothbrush in acetone and rub it on a model it would strip the paint?

Simple green seems to work in most cases but a it usually leaves a few trouble spots.