This is a post from a topic on Bugman's Brewery. The thread asked people to mention 5 changes they would want to make to the Dwarf list. After 50 posts i added up the amount of times certain things were mentioned and came up with some solutions for these problems, or used solutions suggested in the thread. I know the Dwarf book is the most balanced book out there, but it was one of the first so some "errors" crept in because the standard was not set yet, think of the randomising of shots fired at the Anvil of Doom. The Runelord, Miners and Rangers thus suffered from "codex creep", which you cannot prevent in some cases. Aside from that there were some poorly thought out things, like the flat bonus of 2 Dispel Dice and the lack of real use for some units. Engineers and Organ Guns were both less useful than their Empire counterparts. Longbeards could not compare to Ironbreakers, Hammerers and even normal Warriors. Finally, over time it's showed that playing "static" is the only thing that works for them. Giving them a weaker version of "fleet of foot" and making them alot harder to break through Fear should alow the player to play more dynamically.
It's been pretty consistent, with the number of OOT suggestions being limited to a handful. Some stats. The number obviously represents the amount of people mentioning a problem related to the subject.
Runelord (19) - Pretty much everyone wants him to give 2 Dispel Dice. One person also wanted crossbows and throwing axes for him and his little brother, which is silly of course.
Longbeards (15) - Making them Immune to Fear and sometimes Terror or just Immune to Psychology was most popular. Also, having them as an upgrade for Dwarf Warriors was mentioned, and allowing them special movement rules.
Slayers, including characters (15) - Alot of people want them to Skirmish and/or have some save. Characters should get the Slayer Skills and Runic Talismans according to a couple of posters.
Engineer (12) - Everything suggested for him related to him not helping warmachines out enough. Someone even suggested making him a 20 points upgrade for them.
Organ gun (11) - Range and/or number of hits are found lacking.
Dwarf Cannon (9) - The Wounds issue. Most suggested D3+1, a couple even D6. A points reduction was suggested too.
Rangers (8 ) - Probably because of the Mountain Rangers, people want these to Skirmish.
Gyrocopter (3), Miners (1) and King Alrik (1) were mentioned, but most people seem to think they're fine.
Movement (15) - People either want them to be faster through triple/quick marching or giving them some manouvering benefit.
Magic (10) - Aside from the Runelord thing, this was brought up mostly because of the protection issue. Some wanted to improve the Anvil and make Runesmiths weak Wizards.
Outnumbering (10-13) - Especially Fear-Causing units seem to be what Dwarf players have problems with. Suggestions ranged from ignoring Outnumbering to giving them US2.
Runes (7) - Mostly the availability of Runic Standards seems problematic.
Also a number of other things related to the general army were brought up, like suggestions to make all of them +1In, making rules for Clans or character upgrades (Miner/Ranger/Engineer), make nearly everthing cheaper, adding Mountain Rangers to the list and allowing heavy armour for everyone aside from Slayers.
The handful of Out Of Touch suggestions were making all Dwarfs Unbreakable, allowing 2 BSB's, making the enemy Crumble like Undead and making Dwarf Handguns always +1 to hit. :lol:
Not mentioned at all were Dwarf Lords, Thanes, Dwarf Crossbows, Bolt Throwers and Stone Throwers. These apparently don't need any tweaks.
Virtually no one had complaints about Runesmiths, Flame Cannons, Iron Breakers, Hammerers, Thunderers, Warriors and Gyrocopters. They're likely best left alone.
Units with a single flaw were Runelords, Rangers, Miners, Dwarf Cannons, Longbeards and Organ Guns. They could do with a single change.
Troublesome are Slayers of any kind and Engineers. There's no real agreement on what would help.
Aside from these units there are the outnumbering, magic protection , runic standard availability and movement issues. I think these could be helped alot with just a simple change.
Looking at this topic and drawing from experience, i've come up with a small list with suggested tweaks which improve the list a bit, mostly the weaker elements. I doubt many people would not let you use at least some of them if you asked them (nicely and before the battle starts ).
The ones at the top seem the most simple andreasonable. Note that all of this is of course in addition to any existing rules (except where noted).
This fixes the major problems:
- Dwarf Runelords add 2 dice to the Dispel pool.
- Longbeards are Immune to Fear. In accordance with the rulebook, this means they're still subject to Terror but threat it as Fear instead.
- Instead of the normal amount of Power and Dispel dice, the Dwarf army gets 1 Power Die and 2 Dispel Dice per 1000 points.
- If there are no enemy units within 8", a Dwarf unit can choose to perform a "Quick March". This follows all the rules for marching and allows the unit to move an additional d3". A character that performs a Quick March can't do anything during the Shooting Phase (i.e. can't throw a weapon with Rune of Flight, can't fire a missile weapon, etc).
- Dwarf Rangers are Skirmishers.
- Dwarf Miners can use their Underground Advance rule or the It Came From Below rule from the Tomb Kings army book.
- As long as any unit with the Slayer special rule is not in close combat, he will recieve a 6+ Ward Save.
- A Bolt Thrower, Cannon or Stone Thrower joined by a Dwarf Engineer can re-roll dice used do determine multiple Wounds and gets a bonus of +1 on the dice rolled on the machine's Misfire Chart.
- An enemy unit only counts as Outnumbering a Dwarf unit if it outnumbers by 2:1.
- An Organ Gun rolls 2 Artillery Dice instead of 1 to determine the amount of hits caused.
Perhaps you could suggest to allow 0-1 Dwarf Warrior unit to have a Runic Standard with a value of up to 25 points, but i think they're good enough already.
- Runelords give 2 DD, bringing them in line with Archlectors and High Priests of Ulric.
- Longbeards are Immune to Fear, making them better especially against Undead, which Dwarfs tend to have alot of prolems with.
- Dwarfs get more Dispel Dice in battles of 3000 points and less in battles below 2000 points.
- Dwarves are faster if they don't shoot, moving 7-9" per turn.
- Rangers are Skirmishers, like their cousins from the mountains and every other Scouting unit.
- Miners can Come From Below, bringing them in line with TK diggers and Eshin Skaven.
- Slayers can survive 1 in 6 Wounds suffered outside of combat, making them more resilient against missiles and magic, which is fluffy but not overpowering.
- The Engineer finally is useful, as he makes it impossible for a Cannon or Stone Thrower to destroy itself by rolling a 1 on the Misfire Chart. Also, the re-rolling on the dice for Wounds fixes the Cannon problem, as Stone Thrower already roll a D6 and is used mainly against single-Wound units and the Bolt Thrower usually is for the S7 against chariots and Flaming Attacks against Trolls.
- The Outnumbering bonus i had my doubts about, but this should work. Really big units can still outnumber them and elite units can be outnumbered too. Combined with Longbeards being Immune to Fear, it vastly improves your chances against Undead.
- Organ Guns rolling 2 instead of 1 Artillery Dice to determine amount of hits not only makes them more deadly, but also reduces the chances of rolling just 2-4 hits. The fact that the chance to Misfire is doubled balances it out. I considered making it use the Hellblaster Misfire Chart, but decided against it.