Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Korps of Krieg - Muddy Times

Arrow Death Korps of Krieg - Muddy Times

Welcome to my Death Korps of Krieg Project Log.

A short trip in the past:
    Some years ago I played some Fantasy Dwarfes for a while. After a while I got better at painting and didn't like all the old miniatures anymore so the Dwarfes were stored away. I tried Nightgoblins but because my Fantasy playing friends moved away I lost the interest in Fantasy.

Fast forward:
    I had not much experience in playing to beginn with but I did love the painting and collecting. I painted several single miniatures - but no army anymore. When I painted Marneus Calgar and his crew for a friend of mine, I got interested in 40k. (Last year, after they were standing on his shelf for over a year and some fell down, he gave them to me as a birthday present - no, I don't think he thought they were ugly painted. :D)

Why the Death Korps:
    I had painted some Imperial Guardsmen before because I like the background of the Imperial Guard and the numbers of patterns you could paint them. One day I saw the Death Korps and I knew I had to at least collect some of them. 3 month ago I saw that the "Siege of Vraks" Trilogy was complete and came in a nice slip case and I had some money "left" so this was a start signal.

How to paint the Death Korps:
    From the beginning I had a very dark and gloomy image in mind. Unlike most of the DK armies I had seen on the internet, I wanted mine to look really dirty and muddy. Not like they just set their foot on the battlefield just a few minutes ago with no sign of dirt and wear. Yet, I didn't want to add dirt and mud as an excuse for a bad paintjob. I didn't want to cover them in mud to cover up an ugly painted miniature.

I can say now, that my finished Korpsmen really look the way I imagined them in the beginning.

The background:
    The Death Korps of Krieg combine characteristics and appearance of both sides fighting in WWI. They embody all the horror, brutality and contempt for mankind one could experience in trench warfare. This was the reason why I wanted to see them in mud. The places where I imagine them fighting look like Verdun and especially Passchendaele.

Once I got an army to play with, I plan to build a table resembling these photos:

edit: There seems to be a little delay. I posted 3 different posts now (1st one is this) and the other 2 don't show. I didn't know that the moderator have to give their approval to every single post. -_-
    Last edited by doubleT; 07-04-2010 at 21:35. Reason: icon

Re: Death Korps of Krieg - Muddy Times

And now to the reason you're probably visiting this Project Log:
    (I edited this post to show more recent pics.)

Photos:

Click to see the bigger version.

Last edited by doubleT; 25-08-2010 at 16:01. Reason: More recent photos.

After I had about 25 miniatures completed, I decided to add some details:
    - Whereever the gauges on the front were visible I painted them. I don't know why I left them out before. Guess I was lazy.
    - At first I was against the wood-look on 40k lasguns (what I had in mind was more like the G36) but since I used / the DK uses synthetic leather I decided to go for the synthetic wood to give the WW1 theme some credit.

What's next?
    I have another 30 miniatures relatively ready to paint. The HQ, another platoon command squad and two other squads.

What I have then is a minimal 500 point playable "army".

Command, two Platoons, each with a command squad and two squads (one with grenade thrower, one with flamer).

The next order will include troops to get to 3 platoons with 3 squads each, a grenadier squad, one (or two?) Centaur and some weapon upgrades / heavy weapon teams.

That's it for now, feel free to comment.
    Last edited by doubleT; 25-08-2010 at 16:40.

Must see more! I've just bought some krieg and I plan on starting to paint tomorrow, but I love seeing examples of what Kriegsman should look like. I'll be following this log religiously.

Wondeful painting! Looks really realistic without taking away the 40k feel. It will be lovely seeing these on that battlefield you're planning.

Keep up the great work,
    BTB

oh no i've found another krieg list, my wallet will be screaming soon i'm sure... nice paint job... now time to sub
    My Blood Angels fan fiction

Enter the Dark City - First Dark Eldar only forum

Stuffs for sale

As a fellow guard player and hence painter, I've always felt that well painted guardsmen should be better in game terms. Your guys deserve two wounds instead of one! Lovely stuff.
    Check out my great new Necromunda log
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249570

Impressive stuff doubleT . Subscribed.

Nice work mate, really like how they have turned out. Any plans for armor in the future? Looking forward to seeing the rest of the troops painted up.

Cheers,
    Rom

Some very nice minatures, but if they are fighting on those battle fields add more mud.

That stupid part of me that has no concept of money is saying do a Death Korps army to me now. Orks or Death Korps- difficult decisions.
    The way to true power is to put yourself second in command
    10,000 of Guard; 2,500 of Dwarfs; 2,000 of Daemonhunters; 500 of Bretonnia
    General Selling Thread- http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293709
    Wanted Thread- http://www.warseer.com/forums/showth...43#post5583443

Sehr schickes Projekt, interessante Farbwahl. Gefällt!

thx guys

Quote Originally Posted by e2055261 View Post
    As a fellow guard player and hence painter, I've always felt that well painted guardsmen should be better in game terms. Your guys deserve two wounds instead of one! Lovely stuff.
    Thank you. I feel the same way. I would never field an unpainted model so I hope to play only against well painted armies. In reverse: It doesn't suck so hard if the guy was wounded by a good painted miniature.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanus View Post
    Nice work mate, really like how they have turned out. Any plans for armor in the future? Looking forward to seeing the rest of the troops painted up.

Cheers,
    Rom
    Well, as I said, I plan to stock up to 3 platoons (3 squads each) - about 110 guys / 1000 points - before I field Grenadiers with Centaurs. I love these little transports. After this I will think about tanks.
    I have to say, I don't like the look of the Leman Russ, it doesn't fit the DKoK look in my eyes.
    What I do like is the Macharius - I need to have the Macharius Vulcan just for its look.
    'till now I'm more of a collector and painter than a player and I have to get into the rules firts. Don't know if I can "skip" the Russ' and field a pack of Macharius' (though this wouldn't be cheap ...).
    I'll "need" a Gorgon, too.

On a sidenote: I see that you field DK and Elysian Drop Troops combined. That seems to be a cool mix. Thought about this, too.

I'll paint 4 more DK now and post some pics later.

edit:
    @ bigcheese:
    more mud - yeah, I'm thinking about this. What I have in mind is some mix of new guys who are not that much dirty, some rough looking squads with lots of wear and tear, mud, ...
    Also a squad with bayonetts, a squad with rucksacks and stuff ...
    Generally, I don't want to add to much mud (who would?) in fear of destroying the nice look.

An army for you? Well, you can play if you pay. But I fear I am a slow painter (if I'd paint two armies at the same time) so this would take some time and it would have to be worth it (money!!). (I know you were kidding.)
    Last edited by doubleT; 27-03-2010 at 13:09.

Librarian

Great painting but also great pictures. I don't think I've ever seen the up close detail on these figs before.

Also, I love the photoshop work in the first post. The black and white pic is fantastic.

thx, I'm glad someone mentioned it / that it catches someones eye. I'm annoyed by all these blurry mobile phone cam pics or flashes that kill all details. I'm a graphics designer with a photographer training. Most shots are made with 250 mm from about 1 m distance. Some are made with a macro lens (I love this one!) and about 5 cm distance.

You'll love the pics that are about to come. I've 4 guys ready and the cam equipment is already on my desk. I wanted to do some detail shots, too.

edit: edited the title-picture because on the black background one couldn't see the underline.
    Last edited by doubleT; 27-03-2010 at 17:34.

Update:

Next:
    I'll do some group shots later.
    Last edited by doubleT; 25-08-2010 at 16:02.

Superb guard, the muted tones helps alot with DKoK. I'm looking forwards to the battlefield. One thing you should do is watch Passchendaele for inspiration on the battlefield. The last 30 minutes shows Trench conditions perfectly.
    Painting Log - My for sale/trade thread! PM me if you're after something not on the list, I might have it!
    Available for commissions, PM me if you're interested.
    Kabal of the Poisoned Tongue plog
    Quote Originally Posted by Theocracity View Post
    I don't want to get all ad hominem up in here, but I honestly don't know why so many people who complain that Ward writes for 13 year olds insist on acting like 13 year olds anyhow.

Chapter Master

Did you roughcoat them or something? They look kind of... fuzzy.

Have you thought about a gloss varnish on the mud? Or maybe try using some in with the mix. It'll go a long way towards your muddy effect without having to obscure more of the mini. I also recommend trying out MIG's acrylic resin. It thickens mud up nicely when mixed with pigments.

I'm afraid none of the pictures of my DKs are still up online. There's a pretty bad picture here if you want to (kind of) see the effect it gives.

Look forward to seeing more.
    ON HIATUS - ROAD TRIPPING ROUND THE USA!
    MY ROAD TRIP BLOG

Follow me on Instagram: @miniature_lew

Tau Drop Troops Log <-- UPDATING REGULARLY
    My Ogre Maneater Log <-- UPDATING AT SOME POINT SOON MAYBE I PROMISE

What a superb start to a plog!!!

Really sucked me in with the photshopped pic of them on the battlefield and they look great. Real battered and bruised, a great look and pulled off in a very nice way.

Subscribed

ElTanko
    ElTanko's Spare Time - Click! - Updated 8th July 2011

ROUSING THE BRAYHERD - BEASTMEN - Updated 24th July 2011

These guys look fantastic. Great thread....

thank you, guys

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Bunny 666 View Post
    Superb guard, the muted tones helps alot with DKoK. I'm looking forwards to the battlefield. One thing you should do is watch Passchendaele for inspiration on the battlefield. The last 30 minutes shows Trench conditions perfectly.
    Don't hope to see the battlefield in the near future, though.
    Yeah, I've seen "Passchendaele" a while ago. Another movie I'll watch again is "Deathwatch". It's a horror movie but there are some great trench-scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew_b81 View Post
    Did you roughcoat them or something? They look kind of... fuzzy.
    This may be due to the dry brushing. I cannot see this with my bare eyes.
    Maybe I shouldn't post close ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew_b81 View Post
    Have you thought about a gloss varnish on the mud? Or maybe try using some in with the mix. It'll go a long way towards your muddy effect without having to obscure more of the mini. I also recommend trying out MIG's acrylic resin. It thickens mud up nicely when mixed with pigments.
    I tried gloss varnish. These were the results:

I think you can see why I didn't like it.

I think I'll stick to the bases like they look now.

This is my first platoon (in my 500 point list), I'll add another squad to each platoon with the next order.

Klick here for a big version.

edit: Some people (not just here) asked for more mud.
    I plan to let some squads look a little different by adding more mud (hardened battle veterans) or less mud (new guys). Some will get rucksacks and trench tools, some will get bayonetts.
    I hope this will look good.
    Or would you guys go for a uniform look?
    Last edited by doubleT; 28-03-2010 at 01:55.

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast