Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The use of Stormtroopers

Veteran Sergeant

The use of Stormtroopers

Yes they do look badass with their cool look, but in game terms they look quite ineffective. Personally I just use them because I need something to fill up some points (I am not rich).

If they are worth their 16 points, then how should they be used?

Thank you for any help or comments!
    125th Cadian light artilery (5th edition rulebook)

Win/Draw/Loss 1/0/1
    (not counting random games with no terrain and not really following rules)

Re: The use of Stormtroopers

Honestly, I like my Storm troopers, I'm not convinced they are worth it...
    Everything is true, even the false

Everything is false, even the true

Nothing is done, until it is done

Use them as veterans.

I've seen them used quite well when you keep them cheap and give them meltaguns plus a chimera, which allows them to utilize their scout move in order to get first turn melta range shots.

They're not quite as efficient as Veterans are, but I don't think they're a bad choice at all, especially in a MEQ heavy environment.

Brother Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Havock View Post
    Use them as veterans.
    QFT.

Seriously though, 5 storm troopers with 2 melta guns is the same points as 10 veterans with 3 melta guns (and the same BS).

Chapter Master

My husband has used them against me as a "kidney shot" unit.

They come out of nowhere, riding around in their Valkyries, hop out, and then I loose my Vibro cannons or a squad of rangers or my Seer council or they have meltas and a power fist and kill a wraithlod or something. And then poof! they're back in their Valkyrie and jetting off somewhere else. Sometmes there's ten, sometimes there's THIRTY.

Ive seen people fail hard with them, leaving them out in open or trying to use them to bolster a gun line. They dont work that way. They work like scalpels. Expensive, razor sharp, scalpels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dageo View Post
    Seriously though, 5 storm troopers with 2 melta guns is the same points as 10 veterans with 3 melta guns (and the same BS).
    The Stormtroopers have better mobility options, though. Scout, Infiltrate or Deepstriking can put them where they need to be faster than a Chimera and without the extra cost.

I find a 5-man 2-melta squad serves me well for tank-killing. Drop them behind the lines with a rerollable deepstrike, or grab the first turn infiltrate if you've got the spot.

The mistake many people make with them is taking a full squad and trying to use their AP3 hotshot lasguns to pop MEQs. Not gonna happen. They're a delivery system for suicide melta/plasma, nothing more.
    /////
    Tales of the Sefirem Sector - Narrative Battle Reports
    Imperial Guard of the Sefirem Sector - Project Log

Quote Originally Posted by SandQueen View Post
    My husband has used them against me as a "kidney shot" unit.

They come out of nowhere, riding around in their Valkyries, hop out, and then I loose my Vibro cannons or a squad of rangers or my Seer council or they have meltas and a power fist and kill a wraithlod or something. And then poof! they're back in their Valkyrie and jetting off somewhere else. Sometmes there's ten, sometimes there's THIRTY.

Ive seen people fail hard with them, leaving them out in open or trying to use them to bolster a gun line. They dont work that way. They work like scalpels. Expensive, razor sharp, scalpels.
    QFT

I have used them as suicide drop squads. 5 men with dual Melta dropping in with the Airborne rule can smelt a Land Raider quite nicely. A fair tradeoff in my book. 105 pts to neutralize a tank on turn 2 on a 3+ with an Astropath. 2 of those squads and Marbo will neuter so many units.
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."
    "Their arrogance is only matched by their firepower."

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kalishnikov-47 View Post
    QFT

I have used them as suicide drop squads. 5 men with dual Melta dropping in with the Airborne rule can smelt a Land Raider quite nicely. A fair tradeoff in my book. 105 pts to neutralize a tank on turn 2 on a 3+ with an Astropath. 2 of those squads and Marbo will neuter so many units.
    He runs squads of ten which actually really helps them survive. when they're deployed in tight spots it can be hard to bring fire against them, especially after they devastate whatever unit would have had the best chance of taking them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalishnikov-47 View Post
    This.

It's absolute murder against so many armies that it becomes more than just viable, depending on what point level you're playing at. If i were fielding 1750+ points of Guard, I'd never leave home without two Airborne Melta Storm squads and Marbo. Add in that +1 reserves advisor, and you're getting pretty dangerous.
    Thud is the new black!

I'll just add my voice to the small melta unit

definetly don't give them a transport, they're more flexible whitout it (and not too expensive)
    Happiness is having an alibi and a big backyard to bury the bodies

Chapter Master

Quote Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
    I'll just add my voice to the small melta unit

definetly don't give them a transport, they're more flexible whitout it (and not too expensive)
    well that depends. You give a Valkyrie a full load-out (Multi-laser, rocket pods, and heavy bolters) and that's a ton of shots. More than enough to keep a squad or two at bay while the ST's butch something

Brother Sergeant CrimsonEssence's Avatar
    Colder, colder, colder... Yep, right about there

I have to agree with Sand Queen, Stormtroopers are less suicidal units and more like the guard's scalpel. Paired with Valkyries or Vendetta's they can make a serious mess of someone's rear lines. Experimenting with them in a tournament, loaded with a meltagun and a grenade launcher (because the grenade launcher on classic model's are so cool) and they managed to silence the greater majority of a guard army's guns. That's two basilisks, a vendetta, banewolf, and a guard squad. Only the Sarge was left standing in the end but they earned a fierce reputation.

The best way to use them is to think of where they can cause the most disruption to the enemy battle line and bring them right up there. Need to silence those gun batteries, they'll see it done. Critical Synapse creature must be eliminated? Done. These are full teams by the way, not suicide jockeys.

There are more efficient ways to spend your points. The roles described above can be performed by other units in the Imperial Guard roster.

They excel against Eldar and Tau, and can be worthwhile in the right spot versus others. I recommend keeping them unupgraded as they already cost too much and use them to hunt small infantry squads via deepstrike. Good for pruning back field units and the like in any case.

Jack

The rules:
    1) Style over Substance.
    2) Attitude is Everything.
    3) Always take it to the Edge.
    4) Break the Rules.

Veteran Sergeant Ragnar_Blackmane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benigno (WE) View Post
    There are more efficient ways to spend your points. The roles described above can be performed by other units in the Imperial Guard roster.
    Well, which other unit can accurately drop next to an expensive tank and melta it to death without offering a target? None as I remember...
    Last edited by Ragnar_Blackmane; 30-03-2010 at 12:16.

Dust gatherers.

They're simply too expensive for what they do. Yes, you can drop next to something and melta it, but you could just use a Manticore instead. There are generally several ways to get to the same result.

They pay through the nose for those AP3 guns, which don't have the strength to work effectively against 90+% of 3+ save targets- marines. If your local metagame is heavy on non mech eldar, Suited tau, and sisters of battle, so actually presents lots of T3 3+ or 4+ saves, then they have a decent number of targets, but otherwise...
    Occasionally accused of being helpful and constructive.
    One ring Book to rule them all, one ring place to find them, One ring Codex to bring them all, and in the Darkness future bind them. Time for the unified Marine Codex.

Brother Sergeant

I have witchhunters and for 10 pts a piece they are great even with outdated rules. They have chimeras, loads of special weapons, they are troops and also they become stuborn (ld 9 or 10) while being next to a battle sister with book.

Quote Originally Posted by SandQueen View Post
    Yep. Gotta use them to cut out one part of the enemy's army. While my Stormtroopers rarely "make their points back" (one game is four, usually), they always cause enough casualties onto whatever I point them at. Enough, of course, means enough wounds to cripple that unit and make it ineffective. Against 3+ or worse models, they're fairly reliable at putting a handful of wounds onto a unit (even MEQs, and I run with GL + flamer).

Hate to say it but they're over-priced. I find they're good just as a 5-man deep striking (with re-roll) 2 MG delivery system. SOmetimes they last a little longer after the drop, which is a bonus.

I think GW did the usual thing where they increased points cost on units frequently used in a codex, so encourage the purchase of other things that come with the new codex. That's the only rationale I can think of.
    Best. Suggestion. Ever: "If he's just starting with guard, a proper fear of flamers should be taught by a friend, not a mocking gap-toothed ritalin muncher with a barely undercoated 'ultramarine' army who laugh-spits chunks of potato-chips across the board as he flames guardsmen into oblivion." -- Courtesy of D503 5 Mar 2010

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast